Peach Fruit Leather

For me, one of the great sites and smells of summer is a big basket of fresh peaches. We love eating them so much in my house that I tend to go a bit overboard at the farmers' market every Sunday and buy way more than we could possibly eat in a week. As the days go by, some get bruises while others become uber soft and juicy. Unless you want to eat peaches for every meal there's nothing you can really do with them except....make fruit leather! If you think my kids like eating peaches, you should just see how excited they get for this homemade fruit leather. They go through it so quickly I tend to make about three batches a week, but one of the great things about this recipe is that it stays good for weeks, if not longer.

Got a little over zealous like me at the market and now you're sitting with several pounds of super ripe stone fruit -- and no where near enough time to eat them before they spoil? Peach fruit leather is your answer!

Peach Fruit Leather

• Cook Time: 4 hrs,

• 4 ripe peaches (skin on)
  • 1 tablespoon honey

1. 1. Preheat oven to 225 F degrees.*
  2. 2. Rinse and remove seeds from peaches.
  3. 3. Place the peaches and honey in a blender and puree until smooth.
  4. 4. Pour the mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet and spread with the back of a spoon or spatula in a large rectangle (my rectangle was 11 x 15 inches) making sure that the thickness is completely even.
  5. 5. Bake for 3-4 hours or until dry and not sticky to the touch. Remember, cooking times will vary depending on how thick you spread your mixture and how much water (juice) is naturally in the fruit.**
  6. 6. Set aside and cool at room temperature; it takes several hours for the fruit to soften up. Note that when you first take the fruit leather out of the oven, the edges will be a bit dry and crispy, but if you allow it to sit out for several hours it softens up nicely.
  7. 7. Cut with a knife, pizza cutter or scissors into strips, keeping the paper on if desired, then roll the leather into “roll ups”.
  9. * If you choose to use a dehydrator, cook the fruit leather at 135 degrees for 5 hours.
  10. ** Every oven is different, so the cooking time maybe less than 2 hours if your oven tends to run hot.
Peach Fruit Leather

Comments

1. Pingback: 20 After School Snack Ideas - The Crafted Sparrow

2. Laura

February 7, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Can you use frozen fruit?

3. Stacey Parker

January 18, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Just pulled a ton of these out of the dehydrator. I am glad to have found your recipe and that it included the skins. All hail the Vitimix!

4. Bonnie

November 5, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Nothing one could do …..except buy fewer peaches!

5. Tina

September 21, 2013 at 5:46 pm

I have made the strawberry ones 2x already and have turned out perfect each time. I use 2 lbs organic strawberries and 2T honey and spread them on two baking sheets over parchment paper. I bake them in my convection oven starting at 175 degrees then after two hours turn up to 200 for another hour or so. I let them sit over night to soften a bit and then I cut them into strips and roll them. They turn out great. Making peach and strawberry ones now for my son’s birthday party at school. My kids and their friends love them.

6. Erika

September 19, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Looking forward to trying this!

7. Pingback: Post 47 – Peaches & Sugar Plums | Erin Eating Everything

8. Cheryl

September 14, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Cooked as directed and the paper turned so crispy that it would not peel away from the fruit. Every other recipe I read calls for an oven temp of 150C.

9. Pingback: More peaches | Growing Up Gadrow

10. beth

August 25, 2013 at 7:54 pm

These came out great in my oven :-) thank you!

11. Pingback: Linky.Love | To Those Who Wait

12. Pingback: More Picking | Ilex Quilts

13. Pingback: 15 Peach Recipes To Try Before Summer Ends - HooplaHa.com

14. Pingback: Peaches | Girl Gone Farming

15. Sarah

July 26, 2013 at 7:08 am

I am so sad this didn’t work. I was really looking forward to my daughter trying this, but after one hour in the oven, it’s burnt. Wasted 4 delicious peaches on this. Ill try again tomorrow with a traditional, low low heat, longer timed recipe.

16. Julie

July 10, 2013 at 5:31 pm

I have two pans in the oven now (I know, not the best time of year to have the oven on for several hours, but at least it’s a low temp). It seems quite thick, so I’m hoping it turns out. It smells great, and the color is something I want to paint on my walls! I did sprinkle some Fruit Fresh to slow the browning.

17. Pingback: Red Tricycle | Peach Fruit Leather

18. jenny

November 10, 2012 at 1:16 am

How would I store these after they’re made? and how long do they last?

November 12, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Store in an airtight container on the counter! They’ll last at least a week!

19. deirdre

October 21, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Suggest you keep a close eye because mine wasn’t even in 3 hours & burned…so bummed but will try it again.

20. Pingback: 50 of the Best Peach Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

21. Lori

September 12, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I LOVE peaches! I am looking forward to giving this recipe a go!

22. Lindsey

September 5, 2012 at 5:24 pm

MMMM! Mine is in the oven right now! I cannot wait to take the first sticky bite!

I will probably do a little post on my blog about it. Would you mind? I will definitely refer them back to your site.

• Leyla

February 5, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I absolutely LOVE to use svelir as an accent and especially in place of the additional bling some brides think will add more pop to their decor. There is nothing that bounces happy light around a room like svelir all while adding a lush sense of luxury to the scene. Silver is something I use in my personal spaces for thise reason too. LOVE, Love, love it!

September 5, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Of course I wouldn’t mind!

23. marla

August 31, 2012 at 6:39 pm

This is great and so easy too!! I have never made my own fruit leather but must. So much more economical + I bet soooo tasty! Pinned to #ProjectLunchBox Pinners :)

24. Michelle

August 26, 2012 at 11:00 am

This must be a low elevation recipe for as high as the temp is ?? I am in Colorado and did everything the recipe says but it just didn’t’ turn out right..Going to try the next batch at a lower oven setting…all the other fruit leather recipes have a much lower oven temp (with longer cooking time).

25. Pingback: All Those Peaches | Mackintosh Fruit Farm

26. Pingback: Not Far From The Tree » Blog Archive » Peachy Keen Fun at HarbourKids Tent

27. sugers

July 24, 2012 at 12:20 pm

do you have to use parchment paper or can you use tin foil instead

28. Pingback: Delicious Ways to Enjoy Peaches | Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy

29. Pingback: The Ultimate Fruit Roll Recipe Collection | Apron Strings & Lima Beans

30. Jenn @ Jenn Likes It

March 10, 2012 at 11:07 pm

This recipe did not work for me at all :( I used wax paper. Was that my downfall? I could peel the stuff off the paper. I threw it all out. I’m so bummed. I was really looking forward to eating it and hopefully making it multiple times with different fruit combinations.

March 12, 2012 at 11:23 am

The wax paper could be to blame. Use parchment paper instead! It doesn’t have a waxy coating. I never use wax paper in the oven.

31. healthy juicer

January 24, 2012 at 7:19 am

Heya i’m for the primary time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I’m hoping to offer one thing back and aid others like you aided me.

32. Pingback: Bedframes UK

33. Pingback: buy beds in manchester

34. leather for upholstery|leather lounge|leather for chairs|upholstery leather|automotive leather|leather hides|hair on hides|commercial interior leathers

December 11, 2011 at 6:12 pm

My brother suggested I may like this blog. He was once totally right. This publish actually made my day. You cann’t consider just how much time I had spent for this info! Thank you!

35. leather sofa recliner by owner

December 5, 2011 at 4:11 am

I’ve been surfing on-line more than 3 hours nowadays, but I never discovered any interesting article like yours. It’s beautiful worth sufficient for me. Personally, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the web can be a lot more helpful than ever before.

36. Leather Jacket

November 12, 2011 at 2:54 am

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I to find It truly helpful & it helped me out a lot. I’m hoping to present one thing again and help others like you helped me.

37. Emma

October 3, 2011 at 10:01 am

Made plum and ginger leather with a sprinkle of ground ginger in the puree – really liked it.

38. Sandee

September 30, 2011 at 11:41 am

I made two batches for the first time last night. One with nectarines, and one with pears. The tiny bit that I could pry off the wax paper turned out great, but I basically had to throw away the whole thing because it was glued to the wax paper. Anyone else have that problem? I thought about spraying the wax paper before spreading the fruit but the directions didn’t call for it and I thought it might change the flavor a bit so I just put it directly on the paper. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• Andrea

October 6, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Use Parchment Paper (either sprayed lightly with cooking spray or spread with a thin layer of olive oil) or use the plastic cling wrap as above. Sounds like the wax melted and stuck to your food.

39. Emma

September 8, 2011 at 7:26 am

I just made this with nectarines and though it took longer to set, it’s turned out well. I had it on 50 C for about 5 hours and turned it off as I went to bed. In the morning it was still gooey in the middle, so put it back in for another hour and then left it to go bendy and it’s great.
    I did it with Strawberries whilst they were in season and they were great too – fab colour.

• Emma

September 8, 2011 at 7:27 am

BTW I did the strawberries on 50 overnight in the oven and that worked really well.

40. ashley

September 5, 2011 at 12:29 am

Can we do this with any fruit?

If so, can we mix fruit?

41. sarah

September 4, 2011 at 2:42 pm

we’re trying to figure out how you know it’s done- the edges are hard, like it says in the recipe, but how should the middle be? when we touch the middle, it’s not sticky, but it seems super soft (you can make indention’s). it even has some splits in it and the splits are wet looking. any advice?
    thanks : )

42. Pingback: Peach Fruit Leather, A Homemade Healthy Kid's Snack | Family Kitchen

43. D.L ROOF

August 18, 2011 at 1:03 pm

send more recipes thanks …….. 231 D Ave Apt 67 Salisbury,NC 28144

44. Jane

August 16, 2011 at 11:42 am

I always end up with a bunch of bruised peaches too but had never thought to make fruit leather in the oven. I am also going to try it!

45. Sherry Gaines

August 8, 2011 at 8:32 am

I tried to make the peach fruit leather recipe the other day and last night the strawberry fruit leather and both came out differently but not good. I followed the recipe’s exactly and neither one came out edible. I am so disappointed. I am not sure what I could do differently and I have lost so much fruit in trying that I will probably not make again. I was really excited to try this recipe. I thought I should leave feedback since neither recipe worked for me.

46. CCMom

August 7, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I have some peaches that were on their way out, as well as plums. I’ve mixed them together to try it out. Can’t wait!!!

47. Jennifer Cardinal

August 3, 2011 at 8:47 am

Tried this over the weekend. I accidentally burned the edges a little bit, but the good part was sooooo good!

48. Erin

July 29, 2011 at 11:13 am

Will agave work instead of honey?

• lovetocook

July 31, 2011 at 11:39 am

We used agave nectar and it turned out great! We swapped equal amounts.

• Aimee

July 30, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I was wondering the same thing. Often times agave is interchangeable with honey…but I know it’s a lot thinner. I think I may try it tomorrow…I’ll let you know if it holds up!

49. Joy

July 28, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Wow, I am so excited that this recipe seems so simple. (Well, not that I’ll get it the first try, but it’s so few ingredients.)I had no idea you could make fruit leather. I am trying to learn more healthy recipes for my family. After reading this Mom’s Guide (http://www.1dental.com/moms-guide/) I started taking inventory of what I feed my son, especially – so much sugar and processed food. Snacks like this peach leather will be a much better choice for us. I am glad I found your blog!

50. Julia

July 28, 2011 at 9:55 am

I just put this in the oven (using 2 peaches & 1 1/2 c. strawberries) and even using 2 baking sheets, it still seems like I had to spread the mixture really thick to use it all. Should I have not been baking a whole recipe-worth at once, or should it be that way?

51. Alison

July 27, 2011 at 10:43 am

Thanks for the recipe! I just noticed Trader Joe’s carries fruit & veggie leather. Do you think I could add some pureed veggies in with the peaches and still get a good leather?

• Elisha

July 30, 2011 at 2:44 am

If you try it let me know how it turns out. I was thinking about trying pumpkin and pineapple.

52. Kathy - Panini Happy

July 26, 2011 at 1:03 am

Fantastic! My 3yo will love this new-to-her way to eat fruit. I think I had one of these in my lunch every day of elementary school. :-)

53. MamasHeels

July 25, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Yum. I just bought fruit leather at the grocery store and then got back to my desk and saw this. I’m totally kicking myself since this looks so much more delicious!

54. Kevin (BBQ Smoker Site)

July 25, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I know this is a site for baby food, but I’d make this for us to have as a healthy snack! We don’t have a food dehydrator, so this recipe is great!

55. Tennile

July 25, 2011 at 10:54 am

Got way too many Rainer Cherries, any suggestions for cherry leather? use applesauce as Sarah suggested?

56. Aimee

July 25, 2011 at 10:23 am

I can’t wait to try this. I have cherries and blueberries I could use up…

57. K

July 25, 2011 at 9:51 am

Can it be frozen? Peach season is so short and we are always looking for ways to have local fruit available when the snow flies.

July 25, 2011 at 6:02 pm

The peach leather will stay good for at least a month. I would freeze the the peaches and then make the fruit leather in the winter.

• Mikal

August 26, 2011 at 2:13 pm

We make dehydrated peach and nectarine slices and then freeze them. I am sure this would be very similiar. They taste amazing slightly frozen. One of my favorite treats growing up.

58. Jodi

July 25, 2011 at 9:49 am

I tried this recipe twice with strawberries and it just burned. It was either underdone or burnt. Did I maybe spread it too thin? I also used parchment. Does it make a difference if you use a silpat? I almost don’t want to try again until I get a dehydrator. Does the dehydrator make a big difference?

• Andi B

July 30, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I haven’t made leather in an oven– but I’ve never had it (or anything else, for that matter) burn in the dehydrator.

July 25, 2011 at 5:46 pm

The bet part of about a dehydrator is that it cooks foods with a fan at a low temperature. Yes, you can cook it on a silpat which always helps. I made the peach fruit leather 6 times in the oven at various temperatures. The real trick is to keep an eye on it in the last hour of cooking and making sure it’s not to think. Thicker is better then thinner :)

• Jodi

August 20, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I’m trying with peaches right now and a silpat. Fingers crossed!

• Keiko Koizumi

July 26, 2011 at 3:10 am

Can you describe how to assess when it’s ready to take out of the oven? E.g., crispy, not sticky?

59. GG

July 25, 2011 at 8:29 am

What’s the best way to store this if I can stop myself from eating it all at once? Thanks!

July 25, 2011 at 9:33 am

Sometimes I just leave the entire sheet on the counter, sometimes I roll them up and place the pieces in a glass container or tupperware. The recipe is very forgiving!

60. andria

July 25, 2011 at 8:08 am

Will this work with canned peaches in the off season?

July 25, 2011 at 9:32 am

I’ve never tried canned peaches. I feel like they need to be fresh.

61. Emily

July 25, 2011 at 7:05 am

Do you peel the peaches?

July 25, 2011 at 9:35 am

Skin on for more fiber :)

62. zalyndia

July 25, 2011 at 6:18 am

Saving this for next year – we are way past peach season here in Tx.

July 25, 2011 at 9:36 am

Really?! You’re already past peach season? I’m actually surprised. We had peaches at our farmers market until the first week of November last year and they were still delicious. Different climates I guess.

63. Tanya

July 25, 2011 at 6:13 am

Sounds fantastic. Can this be done with other fruits or does the recipie change too much?

• Katie Newell

July 25, 2011 at 7:56 am

You can do this with any berry or stone fruit. Our oven takes a lot longer, so test it on a day you will be around!

• Sarah

July 25, 2011 at 7:13 am

I think you can probably use any fruit. I made fruit leather with a bunch of dark sweet cherries and 1/4 cup of homemade (unsweetened) applesauce blended together last week and it was delicious!

64. Shannon

July 25, 2011 at 5:39 am

LOVE this! Looking forward to trying it tomorrow! :)

• Christie

July 25, 2011 at 9:48 am

Would this work with watermelon? I bought one and my Mom bought me one too. We can’t eat it fast enough, these fruit leathers would be perfect!

• Lisa P

July 25, 2011 at 1:12 pm

OO this is a really good question! I would also love to know the answer to this one. Thanks for asking and I am hoping to hear what the answer/recipe is soon.

• Andi B

July 30, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I’ve never used the oven for fruit leather, but I use my dehydrator for chunks of watermelon as well as leather. It works, but it a tad stickier than other fruits. For the chunks, make them about the size of half a ping pong ball. For leather, make it a bit thicker than you would with other fruits, so that it stays in one piece. Even if it separates a bit the taste is amazing! Enjoy :)