Roast Mediterranean Salmon

Every Sunday, our first order of business at the farmers' market is to go see Marilyn and Eileen, known to us (and pretty much everyone else who loves them) as the "fish ladies". The fish ladies seem to sell every variety of the freshest seafood under the sun, and while we always try to sample a wide array of the fish they bring, from jumbo shrimp to calamari to red snapper, our most frequent pick is their exquisite wild salmon.

I vary the preparation of my salmon from time to time, but this one is by far the most popular with my kids. It features tons of olives (Chloe's favorite) and a yogurt dip on the side which Kenya has been known to drink straight from the bowl.

This recipe may look like a very adult way to prepare this omega-3 packed fish, but it's actually quite simple and packed with flavors that will appeal to everyone in your house.

Roast Mediterranean Salmon  (Serves 4)

• 1 1/2 pounds salmon fillets
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup kalamata olives, sliced
  • 1/2 cup fennel bulb, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
  • 1 small onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 lemon, thinly sliced
  • lemon and dill dipping sauce (makes 1/2 cup):
  • 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 2 teaspoons fresh dill
  • pinch salt

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
  2. 2. Place salmon skin-side down on a greased, foil lined baking sheet.
  3. 3. Brush each salmon fillet with olive oil and evenly top with the salt, olives, fennel, dill, onion and lemon slices.
  4. 4. Roast for 15 minutes.
  5. 5. Serve with sauce.
  6. Lemon and Dill Dipping Sauce:
  7. 1. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
Roast Mediterranean Salmon

Comments

1. Pingback: How to Barbeque

2. Jennifer

August 23, 2011 at 9:47 pm

This was even better then I imagined it would be – thanks so much for the recipe. I love that your recipes have such a fresh taste, use multiple veggies, and aren’t fussy. This was so incredibly easy. My 2 year old thought was yummy.

3. Laura

August 11, 2011 at 11:59 pm

We don’t like Olives. I wonder if I should just skip them, or if there is something else to use in place of them. Any suggestions?

4. Michelle

August 9, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Made this tonight and it was Amazing! I am not a big salmon lover but this has changed my mind.

5. Michelle

August 8, 2011 at 6:53 am

I made this last night and everyone loved it! Thank you!

6. Emily

August 7, 2011 at 10:41 am

Embarrasing typos! I meant to say: Wow, it’s 8:30 in the morning and my husband is downstairs making our Sunday morning pancakes but when I opened this up my mouth just started watering. This made me so hungry!

7. Emily

August 7, 2011 at 10:39 am

Wow, it’s 8:30′in the morning and my husband is downstairs making our Sunday morning pancakes bit when I opened this up my mouth just started watering. This made me do hungry!

8. Mindy

August 5, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Catherine, love your site! You mentioned you get calamari from the Fish Ladies…could you do a recipe with it for Weelicious? My kids love it fried as an appetizer out to dinner but I’ve never figured out a healthy home version! Thanks!!!

9. Kevin (BBQ Smoker Site)

August 5, 2011 at 1:07 pm

The Kalamata olives make this, for me. There’s such a nice touch to their flavor, especially when paired with a more robust protein!

10. Anita S

August 5, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Definitely will be making this! Though salmon isn’t a favorite of anyone else in my house, but tonight my hubs has dinner plans without me, so might be a great time. Thanks!

11. Irina

August 5, 2011 at 7:56 am

I am going to cook this just for myself. I am already hungry :). I gave up on a number of foods just because the rest of the family does not eat them and I would rather cook things that we can all enjoy. And, unfortunately, my son does not touch dill. He loves just about every other herb, but cannot stand dill. I guess it has a pretty strong flavor. And hubby does not like it either.
    Now all I am thinking about are all the yummy dishes that I used to cook with dill… I still cook some of them skipping the dill, but it is just not the same.
    Thanks for all the great recipes!

12. Syeda M

August 5, 2011 at 5:31 am

Sounds delicious! Just one question, are these olives canned?
    Thanks for these amazing recipies!

• stella

August 6, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Trader Joes also sells them in jars.

• Ora

August 5, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Syeda, Kalamata olives are usually found on an olive bar, in a food co-op, Central Market, Fred Meyer, etc. Hope this helps.