Okra "Fries"

Why do so many people turn up their noses when they hear the word okra? Growing up in the south, I ate okra as often as say someone in Georgia might eat a peach. Being someone who can at times gravitate to the extreme, I was also the kid who, when enjoying a bowl of Burgoo (am I getting too country for you now), used to pick out all of the okra to devour first. However, I find people from other parts of the country either have never heard of okra or have an unexplained aversion to it.

I introduced Kenya and Chloe to this exquisite green vegetable, a very good source of Vitamins A, C, and K, right when they started eating solid foods and now I've got two okra lovin' kids. We usually enjoy it prepared simply, steamed as a side dish, but when I made these okra fries and served them up with a little marinara sauce on the side for dipping, the kids looked at me like I truly had reinvented the wheel (and improved on it)! My 2 year old, Chloe, likes to pull the okra out of the crust and eat both parts separately (it is hilarious to watch) while the rest of us like to just dip and leave our "fries" intact. Crunchy on the outside, tender and sweet on the inside, these Okra "Fries" are delicious, a healthier alternative to real fries because there is no actual frying involved and a great way to get your family to eat one of my favorite veggies -- with no upturned noses!

Okra Fries  (Serves 4)

• 1 pound whole okra
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 2 large eggs, whisked
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup italian breadcrumbs or panko

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
  2. 2. Make an “assembly line” by placing the flour in one bowl, the eggs in a second bowl, and the salt and breadcrumbs in a third.
  3. 3. Roll the okra in the flour and pat to remove excess flour.
  4. 4. Dip the flour-coated okra in the egg and then roll in the breadcrumbs. Dip in the egg again and roll into the breadcrumbs once more to double coat the okra.
  5. 5. Place okra on a cookie sheet sprayed or greased with olive oil. When all the coated okra is on the sheet, spray again to lightly coat.
  6. 6. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
Okra Fries

Comments

1. Pingback: 3 clever ways to use Pinterest | does that come in gold?

2. Pingback: Lunch Ideas for Your Summer Vacation {Eat Well, Spend Less} | Food for My Family

3. Radha

April 8, 2013 at 12:59 pm

What can I substitute for egg here ??

4. Elena

September 9, 2012 at 9:17 pm

This seemed like a really great recipe! Except… I don’t know if it’s something with the okra I used, but it did not turn out well. I used Panko instead of breadcrumbs. Probably due to baking, the “fries” came out very chewy and hard to bite into. Next time around I’ll just go with the breadcrumbs and the not-so-healthy way of cooking it by frying it. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

5. Allison

July 30, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Is the okra whole? I am planning to make this tomorrow, but was wondering if it needed to be sliced or anything first. Tops cut off? Thanks so much.

July 31, 2012 at 11:51 am

The okra is whole!

6. Monica

September 4, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Tried the recipe today and my family loved it. To help ease the mess, we put the flour and the breadcrumbs in sandwich bags so my little one could just shake the okra in the bag. Worked great.

7. Stephanie

August 30, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Grew up eating okra breaded and fried in Wyoming! Now, with my own little one, I love any recipe that recreates my childhood favorites in a healthier way!

8. Kristina

August 30, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I grew up in the South too – LOVE okra – my hubby who is California born and bred has acquired a taste for it too – now to get my 19 month old to LOVE it as much as I do. Hopefully this recipe will do the trick…

9. Monette

August 29, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I love okra! A lady told me at the farmer’s market that I can grill them! I went ahead and sliced the top off and cut them in half, season with salt and pepper and drizzle it with olive oil then throw them on the grill and it was fantastic!

10. Meg

August 29, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Can’t wait to try this recipe as I have tons of okra in my garden and am running out of new ideas for it. Luckily my daughter will eat okra in any form!

11. Allyson

August 29, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Sounds yummy! I love okra and so does my 2 year old! I’ve been going nuts with it at the farmer’s market and can’t wait to get more this week. It’s a good pregnancy craving!

12. Makai

August 29, 2011 at 11:26 am

I love okra! What’s a good substitute for egg in this recipe? We’ve got egg allergies. Thanks!

August 29, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Sadly, you really need egg to adhere the breadcrumbs :(

• kathy

August 29, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Hi,

my daughter has an egg allergy too… it may sound weird, but when i made the weelicious chicken nuggets recipe, i dipped them in veganaise and then panko. They turned out perfectly. I think i will do the same for this recipe.

• Tariq

February 4, 2014 at 5:38 am

Good question! You place the grill over two bruners, and turn both of them on. The grill/griddle will heat up and then you can cook. In fact, if you click on the link (click the “Lodge Logic” words), you can see customer pics that show you how to use it. That’s my favorite thing about Amazon, the customer pics.

• elizabeth

August 30, 2011 at 9:51 am

We have an egg allergy too. Will try the vegannaise – I’m glad someone posted this as an alternative!

• kathy

August 31, 2011 at 11:49 am

my sweet daughter has a dairy allergy too…along with many other severe food allergies. So, i just wanted to let others know that coconut milk and honey works too, but the veganaise taste/ works the best. :)

• Krissy

August 31, 2011 at 12:00 am

I’ve also found that either buttermilk, or milk thickened with a little flour tends to make a good subsitute for egg in breading dips. Yogurt has also worked in the past. Good luck ladies.

13. Lisa

August 29, 2011 at 11:25 am

Okra is plentiful at our farmer’s market right now and my oldest is always begging me to make some. I honestly rarely do because I just don’t have that many good recipes using it. I will try this out after we hit up our local market this weekend.

14. bridgett yoches

August 29, 2011 at 10:46 am

My parents are from the south so I love okra, especially fried :) but I have a hard time finding it fresh in Arizona. This recipe has put me on a hunt to find some fresh slimy okra!

15. anna

August 29, 2011 at 10:38 am

what if I want to use frozen okra, how do i go about that? Any other dishes/ideas with okra? I hear it has a lot of good benefits.

16. MamaGigi

August 29, 2011 at 9:59 am

My husband is from the south and LOVES fried Okra, but living in San Francisco I am so far from knowing how to do it…I’m going to surprise him with this this week! Thanks!