I was scouring some of my cookbooks recently trying to find a recipe for a peanut butter and jelly popsicle. Oh yeah, I said it_ a PB & J pop. Nothing. Ziltch. How was that possible? OK, maybe there is a recipe for one out there, but I certainly couldn't find it or get the thought of making them out of my head.
Coincidentally, cut to me discovering a box of 100 Dixie cups in the bathroom cabinet later that day. "When did I buy these," I asked myself. The box must have been in there for over a year, but not a single cup had been used. Ah ha! Why not make my PB & J popsicles in them!
I headed back to the kitchen and played around until I came up with what seemed like the perfect mixture and then began the layering and freezing process.
An hour later, Kenya opened the freezer and accidentally dumped the tray of pops all over, my little experiment pouring all over (if you've never tried cleaning peanut butter out of a freezer, trust me, it's not a ton of fun). After we made a new batch and let them freeze completely (check out the image at the end of this post) there were two kids (and a mom) who happily dug into these PB & J pops, loving every last bite. I don't know if I am the first person who has ever made a popsicle out of peanut butter and jelly, but I certainly hope I'm not the last!
PB & J Pops (Makes 4 pops)
- 1/2 Cup Peanut Butter, smooth
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Cup Milk, divided (any type of milk will work)
- 1/2 Cup Your Favorite Fruit Preserves (I used Raspberry)
Preparation1. Combine the peanut butter, honey and 1/2 cup of milk in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
2. Whisk the preserves and the remaining milk in a separate bowl to combine.
3. Pour both mixtures into 2 separate liquid measuring cups for easy pouring.
4. Pour 2 tbsp of the peanut butter mixture into each Dixie cup, followed by 3 tbsp of the fruit preserves mixture.
5. Freeze for 30 minutes.
6. Pour the remaining peanut butter mixture on top. Pok a popsicle stick in the middle of the cups.
7. Freeze for at least 6 hours or more.