Homemade Play Dough

Homemade Play Dough Program

Yes, you can easily buy play dough from a toy store, but why bother when you probably already have all the ingredients for a homemade natural version in your kitchen?

Comments

1. Pingback: How To Find Pizza Topping Interview Question | Pizza Cooking

2. Pingback: Where To Find Food Network Recipes Under 500 Calories | Pizza Cooking

3. Lori B.

April 14, 2014 at 10:20 am

When my kids were young, their day care center would make up homemade playdough weekly. Huge batches of it for the whole center. It was rare that kids were not playing with it. :)

4. pen

September 10, 2013 at 10:16 pm

mine also went moldy after only a few days. I stored it in my pantry in tightly sealed ziplock bags… does it need to be refrigerated??

5. Pingback: Kool-Aid - Hong Kong Baby, Pregnancy and Parenting Forums

6. Shweta

April 2, 2012 at 8:38 am

Our play dough got fungus on it after 3-4 days, even though we stored it in ziplock? Is it because of humidity or some other reason?

• Jean

March 27, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I’ve been making this play dough for 28 years now and have never had a mold issue. It will dry out eventually though. Its important to cook on low and keep stirring just until it forms a somewhat dry ball in the pan, then plop it out on the counter and start kneading til soft. Have even put various baggies of play dough colors along with cookie cutters in a small tub as christmas gift to the little ones in the family.

7. Pingback: corn syrup fructose

8. catherine

October 2, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Hmm.. not sure why you can’t print out the recipe, but here it is :)

Home Made Play Dough

2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
    1 Cup Flour
    1 Cup Water
    1/2 Cup Table Salt (such as Mortons)
    2 Tsp Cream of Tartar
    Food Coloring (you can use as much or as little as you want depending on how intense you want the color)

1. Place all the ingredients in a saucepan or pot and stir with a
    wooden spoon over low heat until smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
    2. Remove from the pot and place on a counter top or a piece of waxed or parchment paper.
    3. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic.
    4. You’re ready to play! (Make sure to keep it in a ziploc bag or tupperware to retain it’s moisture when you’re not using it).

9. Amanda

October 2, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Here is the recipe:

10. Maria

September 30, 2011 at 7:55 pm

can’t print the recipe either :(
    i would love to have it.

maria

11. Mary

September 30, 2011 at 5:45 pm

not sure what cream of tartar is?

• Krissy

September 30, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Cream of Tartar is found in the baking isle, with the rest of the spices. Generally inexpensive, and is often used in baking recipes. Its technically known as potassium hydrogen tartrate. Honestly, its nice to have around, and its pretty useful. Keeps in the freezer for a long time. ~.^

• Suzanne

September 30, 2011 at 5:57 pm

It’s also a common ingredient for sugar cookies and snickerdoodles – so make some playdough and then bake a couple batches of cookies! :)

12. Robi Culp

September 30, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Hi there! I love this idea!! I just had one question; does this play dough go bad? From the blueberry or fruit element? Thank you for all of your great ideas, I use them frequently, I enjoy your daily Facebook posts and your website as well!! -Robi Culp, Mother of 4.

October 2, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I feel like it would have a stronger chance of drying out then gong bad for any reason, but as long as you keep it in a sealed bag of container it should be fine!

13. Manu

September 30, 2011 at 12:35 pm

nice one .. is there any way i can make it without “cream of tartar” ..

thanks …

• Becca

October 1, 2013 at 9:41 am

When I was working in a preschool we made it with Alum. Alum is a preservative that is also available in the baking/spice section of the grocery store. I am not sure if that is a substitute you will like, but thought I would share just in case.

14. Samantha F in St. Paul

September 30, 2011 at 7:15 am

I’m not able to view the video so I was wondering what the recipe was so I could print it out. When I try to print to doesn’t have the recipe listed.

Thank you!

• Meredith

September 30, 2011 at 7:27 am

Type Play Dough in the search (top right) and you’ll find it there :)

September 30, 2011 at 10:29 am

The video is right here (just press the arrow) and just press the highlighted link to see the play dough recipe!