Spooky Grilled Cheese

If I asked Kenya what he wanted in his school lunch everyday, most times he would say grilled cheese. Of course I'm the annoying type of mom who, in an effort to not let my kid get fixated on eating the same thing, tries to put something different in her kid's lunch each day. Little good it's done me. Kenya has always had a thing for a good grilled cheese. If you let your little one have grilled cheese everyday, try making him or her one of these spookie sammies to put a fun Halloween spin on what they're used to eating. I guarantee you'll be back leaving a comment here about what a hit it was once your little one comes home from school with an empty lunch box and is asking for more.

I let Kenya help me make his lunch while he eats his breakfast, giving him cookie cutters to make spooky shapes in the bread, which he loves doing. But as much fun as it is to make these sammies, eating them is even better -- especially for the grilled cheese lover in your life! My husband has already "commented" to me numerous times to make him this sammie for lunch. In fact, moments after I shot the picture above, he ate everything on the plate!

Spooky Grilled Cheese  (Serves 4)

• butter
  • 8 slices pumpernickel or dark rye bread
  • 4 slices cheddar cheese

1. 1. Using a Halloween themed cookie cutter, take four slices of the bread and cut out the centers.
  2. 2. Heat butter in a griddle or skillet over medium heat.
  3. 3. Cook the cut side pieces of bread and the whole pieces of bread in the saute pan for 3 minutes. Flip the whole piece of bread, cover with a slice of cheese and top with the un-cooked piece of cut-out bread cooking an additional 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Spooky Grilled Cheese

Comments

1. Angelina

March 14, 2013 at 6:46 pm

I am thrilled I found you and lol forward to reading and learning more. Thank you.

2. Pingback: Eat like a ninja | Crayons and Croissants

3. Maurine Cole

October 28, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I made a hybrid between the Grilled Avocado and Cheese sammie and this one by cutting out bats from two peices of bread, then making the Grilled Avocado and Cheese sammie with that rather than dealing with oozing cheese. Plus,the 2 year old was able to help prep the sammies this way!

4. Pingback: Top 10 Tuesday [On Wednesday]: Halloween Treats | Design, Dining + Diapers

5. Donelle

October 25, 2011 at 1:52 am

My kiddo requests grilled cheese almost every day. Love this creative add to his fave lunch.

6. Kristina

October 24, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I made a version of these tonight..but used ham, egg and cheese for the filling and a few different halloween cutters we have. I put pea soup in frankenstein bowls to accompany it. Thanks for the inspiration it was a huge HIT! Sometimes the simplest ideas make the biggest splash.

7. Sarah

October 24, 2011 at 2:21 pm

another way to do this if you’re worried about the cheese coming out is to cook it in your toaster..I read about this method a few weeks ago, you can turn your toaster on its side and put each slice with cheese on top in the slots (like a toaster oven) then put the slices together when it’s done. seems like that method would work better for times like this!

• Tera

October 27, 2011 at 10:10 pm

GREAT idea! I’m going to try this and hope the cheese doesn’t ooze into the coils.

8. Chris B

October 24, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Believe it or not, most cheese is fine without refrigeration for quite a while. It depends on the type of cheese; the harder the cheese the longer it will last without refrigeration, but anything you can buy in slice form will certainly be safe for a day at room temperature in a lunch box. I carry cheese sticks in the diaper bag as a snack for my kids without an ice pack all the time, and we’ve never had any problems. Prior to having kids, my husband and I were avid backpackers, and we would literally carry blocks of cheese in our packs with no refrigeration for a WEEK or more with no problems! In fact, cheese is standard fare for hikers and backpackers who need to carry their food in their packs with no refrigeration. I would not worry at all about a grilled cheese sandwich packed in a lunch box for a day.

October 24, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Very informative comment!

9. Nicki

October 24, 2011 at 12:14 pm

When you pack the grilled cheese for lunch do you put it in with an ice pack? I know the goal would be to eat it as warm as possible but not having the cheese near an ice pack would be unsafe? Just curious bc my 6 year old likes cheese quesodillas in his lunch and I’m never sure how to pack them! :)

• Joann@womaninreallife

October 24, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I put my son’s grilled cheese in a thermos. Because some of his other lunch items are cold, I put the thermos in a paper bag separate from his main lunch bag (which has an ice pack in it). I can be a bit nuts though!

October 24, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I put an icepack in my son’s lunch too. It keeps it cool, but not cold. There could be icicles on the grilled cheese and he would still eat it!

• Marcy

October 24, 2011 at 12:21 pm

yes,I always put an ice pack in his lunch bag.

10. Marcy

October 24, 2011 at 11:24 am

My son loves to take grilled cheese sandwiches to school. He just eats them cold.

11. Christine

October 24, 2011 at 9:53 am

I was wondering the same thing Crystal asked. Can this be eaten cold (and is it good) if there is no way to warm up. OR do you have a trick to keeping it warm?

12. diane

October 24, 2011 at 8:59 am

Doesn’t the cheese get all over the pan when u cook it cut side down? I’ve seen a similar recipe where u put it in the oven (i assume to avoid this) but it would be easier to do it all on the stove.

October 24, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I’m rewriting the directions right now to make more sense!

• Melissa Buckler

October 24, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Inquiring minds want to know!

• Laure n Beck

October 24, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I was wondering the same thing also.

• Jeannette

October 24, 2011 at 9:10 am

I have the same question.

13. Crystal

October 24, 2011 at 7:20 am

This is super cute! When you pack grilled cheese for lunches, does you son eat it cold or find a place to warm it up at school?

October 24, 2011 at 3:05 pm

He eats his lunch at room temperature :)