Cooking Tips For Beginners: How To Cut An Onion Fast Video

Have you ever wondered the proper (and fastest) way to cut an onion? This video will show you how! I spent hours in my kitchen and in culinary school learning the best way quickly dice an onion up... and hopefully right before you shed any tears! Tell me what you think in the comments!

Comments

1. Muhammad

January 31, 2014 at 11:52 pm

The specialist that I want to work with is an Surgeon that slpciaeized cosmetic and reconstruction. When I was taking my nursing degree in my homeland. I always wanted to become a OR nurse or working inside the operating room assisting the surgeon. I saw different kind of surgery procedure that interesting and inspired me. For example you are working with a cosmetic and reconstruction surgeon, I admired the surgeon who specialist cosmetic and reconstruction because they have work hard and plan very well how will the procedure will successful, but the most part that I always wanted to see is the out come and how does the patient happy and affect or change their life after the procedure.

2. CHERI MONDUS

March 12, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I HAVE CHOPPED ONIONS THIS WAY FOR YEARS AND IF YOU DO THE WHOLE ONION AND CUT DEEPER INTO IT BY THE TIME YOU GET THE WHOLE ONION CHOPPED YOU CRY. USE COLD ONIONS THAT WORKS.

3. mary roark

March 1, 2013 at 10:49 am

I really like this show thank you for taken the time to teach us the small things in life.

4. Vivian desanto

February 27, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Why not just get a Vidalia Onion Chopper? Chops everything from nuts o onions to celery, etc. Best $20 you ever spent.

5. Don

February 26, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Let your spouse do it.

just joking

6. Don

February 26, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Your video was very informative, however, you only cut about 1/3 of the way Horizonally. What happens to the other 2/3rds? when you finish chopping it? Contacts protect my eyes.

Don

7. Lynn J Kosick

February 26, 2013 at 1:25 pm

absoulutely neat-o! gotta try this out when ever I do an onion with my meals i will try this gimic out!

8. Tiphane Fleming

February 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I’ve found the best way to chop an onion without tears (this is great if you’re not a fast person, like me). Chop off both ends of the onion, then rinse the onion under cold water rubbing the ends while under. I’ve never had a problem with tears when I do that.

9. OregonSue

February 26, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I have a better solution… light a little voitive candle and set it on the cutting board and chop away. The flame from the candle will get rid of the onion vapors and you will never cry.

10. Me

November 25, 2012 at 1:21 pm

What brand and model did you use to make the weelicious sweet potato biscuits?

November 26, 2012 at 12:44 pm

This is the food processor I use! http://astore.amazon.com/weelicious-20/detail/B001413A0Q

• Ashvini

February 3, 2014 at 3:43 am

You don’t need to refrigerate oinons in fact, it does more harm than good. If you can’t tell the difference, then they’re probably both fine!Ways to tell an old onion:Is it wrinkled?Does it wear slippers, even during the day?Does it have a walking stick?Is it always telling stories about the good old days, but can’t remember whether it had lunch or not?Hope that helps!!

11. julie

September 13, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I will have to try this at home next time, thanks! You crack me up!!

12. kim

March 31, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Fantastic!!! Thank you! I actually tried the match (unlit) in my mouth tip that I got from the movie “The Help”…. did not work!!! Sticking to Weelicious for all future cooking tips and strategies! ;)

13. Alie

March 23, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Omg. Have loved and cooked for so long now. Watched the Julia Childs movie and how she spent hours and mountains of onions learning how to chop and resigned myself that as I would never have such patience I would never be able to dice like a pro. And here you have taught me in less than two minutes. THANK YOU!!!

14. Makai

March 21, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Great video! I always wondered how a professional would do things like cut onions. Thanks!

15. Cassandra N

March 20, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Thank you so much for this!
    As a beginner I need all the help I can get in the kitchen, please keep those tips coming. Thanks again

16. kkeifling

March 20, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Thanks! This is tremendously helpful!

17. jessie kanelos

March 20, 2012 at 11:55 am

Thanks, Catherine! Will add this to my slicing/dicing repertoire! Were those anti-tear onion goggles?

jessiekanelos.wordpress.com

18. Kristi

March 20, 2012 at 10:01 am

I always cut off both ends & then struggle to not let the slices slide around as I chop them. Thanks so much for the video!

19. Sharon

March 20, 2012 at 9:44 am

Neat tip to keep the stem end intact – I shall be even quicker now!

• Gary Sager

February 26, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I think you should have said the root end keeps it intake. You cut off the stem end in the video. Also if you put the onion in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before cutting, it helps to keep you from crying.

20. Kirsten D

March 20, 2012 at 9:03 am

I have always lopped off both ends then struggled to keep the pieces together. I’m SO glad you posted this.

21. Marie G

March 20, 2012 at 7:52 am

Thanks so much for the onion cutting tips!! I love all your videos!! But I would have to say that I had to watch this one twice because the first time all I kept looking at was your gorgeous gold spikey bracelet!!! I could even concentrate on the onion cutting!! LOL!! Thanks again for the tips and I absolutely LOVE the jewels!! Haha