What food is more uniquely American than a corn dog? Well, you could probably name a few, but corn dogs are not something you normally find in most parts of the world. One of the original meals-on-a-stick, corn dogs are something I associate with childhood. My kids had never tried them before, but the thought of putting a big pot of sizzling oil on the stove to fry them the batter in while my little ones are running around the kitchen is enough to make me not dare try a homemade version (not to mention I don't love frying anything).
This baked version of Corn Dog Muffin Bites is a great way to let your kids enjoy this nostalgic treat without all the mess and potential hazards. Crunchy cornbread wrapped around little slices of your favorite hot dogs make this recipe a fun change of pace for school lunch or even a quick dinner!
Corn Dog Muffin Bites (40 )
- 1 3/4 cups cornmeal*
- 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 veggie hot dogs, cut into 1/2-inch coins (you can also use turkey or beef)
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 425° degrees.
2. Mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the honey, buttermilk, eggs and oil.
4. Pour the dry cornmeal mixture into the wet ingredients and thoroughly combine with a whisk.*
5. Pour one tablespoon batter into greased mini muffin cups.
6. Lay turkey dog slice cut side down in the center of each batter-filled muffin cup.
7. Top with an additional tablespoon of batter.
8. Bake for 14 minutes and serve.
* Boxed cornbread mix also works great in this recipe. Follow the directions of the boxed mix and skip to step 5 to continue making the bites.