Corn Dog Muffin Bites

Corn Dog Muffin Bites

Yum

What food is more uniquely American than a corn dog? Well, you could probably name a few, but corn dogs are not something you normally find in most parts of the world. One of the original meals-on-a-stick, corn dogs are something I associate with childhood. My kids had never tried them before, but the thought of putting a big pot of sizzling oil on the stove to fry them the batter in while my little ones are running around the kitchen is enough to make me not dare try a homemade version (not to mention I don't love frying anything).

This baked version of Corn Dog Muffin Bites is a great way to let your kids enjoy this nostalgic treat without all the mess and potential hazards. Crunchy cornbread wrapped around little slices of your favorite hot dogs make this recipe a fun change of pace for school lunch or even a quick dinner!

Corn Dog Muffin Bites  (40 )

• 1 3/4 cup cornmeal*
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 veggie hot dogs, cut into 1/2-inch coins (you can also use turkey or beef)

1. 1. Preheat oven to 425° degrees.
  2. 2. Mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
  3. 3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the honey, buttermilk, eggs and oil.
  4. 4. Pour the dry cornmeal mixture into the wet ingredients and thoroughly combine with a whisk.*
  5. 5. Pour one tablespoon batter into greased mini muffin cups.
  6. 6. Lay turkey dog slice cut side down in the center of each batter-filled muffin cup.
  7. 7. Top with an additional tablespoon of batter.
  8. 8. Bake for 14 minutes and serve.
  9. * Boxed cornbread mix also works great in this recipe. Follow the directions of the boxed mix and skip to step 5 to continue making the bites.
Corn Dog Muffin Bites

Comments

1. shaunie

August 14, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Would have to say that this is a great recipe because I love muffins and hotdogs . Will be trying this one soon.

2. Pingback: 10 of My Favorite Back To School Lunch Ideas

3. quianna

July 29, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Did I do something wrong? I only used maybe 1/4 of the batter in 24 muffins. Im guessing I was supposed to have used two pans but I still would have had more than half of the batter left.

4. Pingback: Corn Dog Muffin Bites | Jessica + Beau

5. Michelle Fortier

April 9, 2014 at 9:40 am

I can’t wait to make these! My daughter will love them. Thank you for such great healthy recipe ideas.

6. Kat D

March 21, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I used Bob’s Red Mill’s Cornbread and Cornmeal Muffin Mix. This was a bad idea since it seems to have coarse grind cornmeal. The larger pieces of Cornmeal were not a pleasant texture in this recipe. I only needed 1 Tablespoon total for my mini tart pan, so I should have adjusted the cooking time but I didn’t and my muffins were dry. I will make again with liners, the posted recipe and maybe a hot dog with a larger diameter. Thanks for posting a recipe with a good hot dog to cornmeal ratio!

7. Pingback: The Ultimate Tailgating Recipe Collection {Tailgating Tuesday} | Endlessly Inspired

8. Heather

October 4, 2013 at 6:55 pm

My kids usually don’t eat much at dinner, but they inhaled these! Thank you!! Oh, and I was out of eggs when I went to make it, so I substituted 2 Tablespoons Flax Seed Meal and 6 Tablespoons of water and they still turned out great! (made mini muffin and regular muffin sizes).

9. Jess Wood

July 22, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Can I use gluten free all purpose flour and cornmeal with the same effect?

July 23, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I haven’t tried these with gluten free flour, but I think it would work!

10. cengle

May 7, 2013 at 11:35 am

I have everything but the buttermilk–will non-fat milk ruin it or can I substitute?

• Martha

October 24, 2013 at 3:14 pm

You can always add a touch of vinegar or lemon juice to regular milk to “sour” it, or make it like buttermilk.

May 7, 2013 at 12:29 pm

at should work just fine!

11. Carrie N.

March 26, 2013 at 1:00 pm

We just pulled these out of the oven and they are so yummy! For the allergy people, we did a mix of 1/2 cups buttermilk and 1 cup flax milk (we’re slowly introducing dairy) and they were very good – you’d probably be fine with all non-dairy milk. Any recommendations for reheating these?

12. Nat

January 18, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Hi Catherine! Can I use coconut oil or olive oil with this recipe? Don’t know if it will be good, but prefer those over canola! Thanks!

• Carrie N.

March 26, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I just used olive oil and they are delish.

January 21, 2013 at 12:27 pm

You can really use any oil you prefer! Just know that canola oil is a neutral flavor so other oils will impact the flavor!

13. Brenda

October 23, 2012 at 2:12 pm

oh, its okay. i went to the ziplist website

14. Brenda

October 23, 2012 at 2:10 pm

how can we access the ziplist shopping list without adding a recipe

15. Molly Richards

October 17, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I saw this on InSockMonkeySlippers.com last year.

16. Lindsey

September 13, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Do these taste good at room temp? I plan to make these for my daughter’s birthday party but need to cook them in advance and I might not have access to a stove for reheating. Thoughts?? Also, do you recommend a brand for the cornbread mix? I’d like to buy one from Whole Foods.

September 14, 2012 at 11:45 am

Bob’s Red Mill makes a cornbread mix! My kids eat these at room temperature, dipped in organic ketchup, for lunch!

17. Kristen

September 4, 2012 at 8:12 pm

If you do freeze these, how do you cook them from frozen? Do you thaw them out first or cook them from frozen? How long do you cook it? I can’t wait to try it!!!

September 5, 2012 at 11:33 am

I usually freeze these after baking them. Then let them defrost in the fridge and reheat in the toaster oven for a few minutes!

18. Pomaika'i

May 31, 2012 at 7:03 am

I want to try this recipe but corn products kind of up my sugar 4 my diabetes what can I use instead.

19. Ruth Pinnell

May 29, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Made these yesterday and we all enjoyed them! I added a little cheese. For my mini muffin tin, 2 tablespoons was also a bit much. My almost 5 year old liked them so much that when he accidently dropped part of one on the floor and the dog got it, he CRIED! Then went and got three more off the pan which he guarded closely!

• Vivian

March 17, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Too cute!

20. srdaniel

May 12, 2012 at 12:09 am

I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Cornbread mix and 2 tablespoons of batter was WAY to much. I had HUGE muffins (in my mini muffin tin) with a small little bite of hot dog in the center.

• Coasting anon

June 2, 2012 at 8:00 am

@srdaniel – I have finally figured out that Catherine’s mini-muffin pan makes considerably larger muffins than the one I have. (from William Sonoma) Once I figured that out, all of her muffin recipes opened up to us as much more viable options for us :)

21. Bryena

May 3, 2012 at 7:04 pm

I added a couple tablespoons of mustard, and we all love them!

22. 4my2loves

May 2, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I made these hoping my girls (2 & 4) would eat them since they helped me make them and Bc they looked like muffins but they still pulled off the bread and just ate the meat! LOL

They now go into my hubbys lunch I pack him for work! He loves corndogs (he said these were good too) and these help me keep the processed foods out of his diet too. :)
    Thanks

23. Meredith S.

April 19, 2012 at 7:43 pm

These were great! I have to add though that I used your boxed cornbread option (I had 2 boxes on hand) and I found that I ended up using 2, 8 oz. boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix. It took that much so I could yield the same amount as the recipe. These were great though and my hubby and daughters enjoyed them very much!

24. Amber

April 13, 2012 at 6:25 pm

I just made these and they were a disaster! :( it was all user error though, so here’s what I did wrong as a warning to others. I used medium grind cornmeal and it tastes like eating a bunch of little rocks. I’ll try it again with a finer grind. I used my non stick mini muffin pans so I didn’t grease them (as usual, I never do) but these stuck like glue and fell apart while trying to get them out of the pan. She does say to grease the pan, so my bad there. I can tell that the taste is good, so I definitely want to try them again, hopefully with better results! I LOVE LOVE LOVE corn dogs, so these are more for me than my little one ;) Hoping he likes them too

• Meredith S.

April 19, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Amber, I greased my mini-muffin pans and they STILL stuck like glue! I’ve never had that problem before with other things (like cupcakes) so I don’t know what happened. The next time I make these, cupcake liners will go in.

April 16, 2012 at 11:51 am

Oh no what a bummer! Don’t give up! Try again!

25. Sabrina

April 5, 2012 at 11:37 am

I just made these for a play date today and they are Soooo dry. I think next time I will add cheese and maybe some more honey.

26. Vivian

April 2, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Does it matter if you use a coarser type of cornmeal? Looks like a winner yummy recipe!

April 2, 2012 at 1:37 pm

You can use a coarser cornmeal! Just remember that it will change the texture.

27. Donica

March 27, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I don’t have mini muffin tins. Can I use a regular size pan?

March 29, 2012 at 11:27 am

You can use a regular pan. Add 2 minutes or so to the cooking time. :)

28. Lauren Sherrier

March 27, 2012 at 10:53 am

made these with turkey dogs, chopped them up tiny and threw the pieces in the batter..my almost 3 year old loves them! My 1 year old is napping but I’m sure she’ll be happy to eat them when she wakes up :)

29. Nancy

March 26, 2012 at 5:02 pm

My little boy and I made these and added chopped spinach and a few spoonfuls of brown spicy mustard. Even my husband likes them and he’s my hardest customer!

30. Diana

March 26, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Love these! I loved corn dogs at the amusement park as a kid.

Also just wanted to add….brands that say “nitrate/nitrite free” actually do have these exact compounds but they are derived from celery powder instead of synthetic sources.

The New York Times ran an article stating that they were basically the same substance.

“For Hot Dogs, A Push for Truthful Labels”

However the Applegate Farms website claims there is a difference between natural and synthetic curing products:

It’s all so confusing, so I buy Hebrew National at Trader Joe’s because they just taste the best. And my kids eat hot dogs pretty rarely, so might as well have the real thing.

31. sinead

March 26, 2012 at 5:36 am

Hi would polenta work for cornmeal? Not sure I can find cornmeal in Belgium. I love your website, your simple recipes have really increased my confidence in the kitchen x

32. Raquel

March 23, 2012 at 4:22 pm

OMG this is genius Catherine, GENIUS!

33. Brenda G

March 23, 2012 at 6:13 am

Thinking of trying the same concept with pancake mix and cut up/ chopped sausage links. Any thoughts?

34. Jenn

March 22, 2012 at 11:35 pm

We may have recently discovered a honey allergy for my son. So we are avoiding it until further testing can be done. Any alternatives to using honey?

March 23, 2012 at 3:23 pm

You can use agave at a 1:1 ratio for honey!

35. Krissy

March 22, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Would a natural casing weiner or Sausage chunk work?

March 22, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Yes, that would work. If it needs to be cooked make sure to do that before placing them in the muffins!

36. Heather @ Kids in the Sink

March 22, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Sometimes, I get a craving for those gross little corn dog bites of my youth. Disgusting, I know. As a grown up and parent, I tend to stay away from most hot dogs because now I know what’s in them but a good veggie dog made into corn dog bites sounds so delicious!!

37. Noble Pig - Cathy

March 22, 2012 at 12:17 pm

How cute are these..my boys would love them.

38. Jennifer @ Kiddie Blanket

March 22, 2012 at 11:46 am

I make these as a treat for my kids. Like Shari, I cut the hot dogs into small pieces, the size of peas, so that every bite gets some hot dog.

For the hot dogs, I use 100% organic grass-fed and nitrate free ones from Trader Joe’s. The brand is Applegate and it is called The Great Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dog.

39. Shari

March 22, 2012 at 10:34 am

I’ve frozen these before, in mini- or regular-size versions. I also cut the hot dogs into smaller pieces for smaller kids to avoid the choking hazard, plus then every bite has hot dog in it!

40. Monette

March 22, 2012 at 10:22 am

Yay! Hello lunch!

41. Janelle

March 22, 2012 at 9:49 am

If you would like to use a regular (or beef) hot dog without the nitrates, Oscar Mayer makes a nitrate-free hotdog that you can find in almost any store. I think they are labeled “Premium Selects”. They taste just like a regular hot dog!

Great recipe!

• Fatima

April 10, 2012 at 8:14 pm

They contain high fructose corn syrup

42. Lindz

March 22, 2012 at 9:24 am

Do you “cook” the hotdogs first?

March 22, 2012 at 11:35 am

Nope! Put them in as is. They will warm in the oven, and hot dogs are pre-cooked so that makes it even easier!

43. Courtney

March 22, 2012 at 9:15 am

Since it makes so many, do you think these would freeze well? I’ve had good luck freezing plain cornbread in the past.

44. Cecilia

March 22, 2012 at 9:05 am

This is brilliant! Can’t wait to try it.

45. Christina

March 22, 2012 at 8:50 am

I am not a huge fan of hot dogs for kids because they contain nitrates. Do you recommend a brand of veggie hot dogs? I’ve never tried them before.

• Sharon

March 26, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Oscar Meyer makes a turkey hotdog nitrate free that I pick up at Safeway.

• Vanderbilt Wife

March 26, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Applegate Farms makes hot dogs that are nitrate/nitrite free, too.

March 22, 2012 at 11:36 am

I get veggie dogs from Trader Joe’s!

• meghna

March 22, 2012 at 9:00 am

I buy Garrett Valley Natural Turkey Hotdogs. They are Nitrate free. I buy mine at my farmers market, but I am sure you can find Nitrate Free hotdogs at Whole foods (specialty grocers), or maybe the Natural Foods section of the grocery store?

• Joe

March 29, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Not to rain on the parade, but most, if not all, meat hot dogs have nitrates. If it contains anything with the word “celery,” they’re just replacing the manufactured nitrates with natural ones. I still buy the “uncured” hot dogs, but this is an FDA problem that forces manufacturers to label them that way, even though they aren’t really nitrate free. Check out Applegate’s website, I think they have a lot of info on the matter.

I absolutely love this idea and the entire site, just from 10 minutes I found dozens of recipes I want to try. I promise my future posts will be more positive ;)

• Andrea

April 30, 2012 at 5:09 pm

You can find nitrate free hot dogs at Trader Joes, but don’t know if you have one close to you.

46. Laura

March 22, 2012 at 7:37 am

These are a great idea. Can whole wheat flour or wheat pastry flou be substituted for the white flour? Or will that effect the consistency?

• KARLA

May 29, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Everything is better with whole wheat flour!!!

• Kelsey

February 19, 2013 at 1:19 am

I always use whole wheat in place of all-purpose… they’re probably not as “light” as the white, but I prefer Whole Wheat (see comment above) it’s so true! Its much better, and better for you!

47. meghna

March 22, 2012 at 7:03 am

Awesome! These are for dinner tonight!!! Kids are going to love eating these on their picnic table.