Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry

Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry

Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry from Weelicious

Even though our family doesn't eat much red meat, somehow I’ve got a little carnivore on my hands. Scary as it sounds, Chloe could probably down a pound of beef in one sitting. Well, let’s just say she could put away a lot of meat for any adult let alone a 3-year old.

The last time my in-laws came over for dinner they brought along some huge, gorgeous grass fed steaks for us to grill. I love to make a lot of different dishes when they come over and although our table was also spread with tons of grilled vegetables, salad, salmon and potatoes, all Chloe kept yelling throughout the whole meal was, "more steak"!

SInce I have this little girl who obviously just loves herself some red meat, I'm trying to base more recipes on it. This one pairs two of Chloe’s favorites, broccoli and beef. It’s a great last minute weeknight meal because chances are you already have most of the ingredients in your pantry and there's next to no preparation. Just marinade the beef anywhere from 20 minutes to overnight and then 10 minutes or so before you’re ready to eat, grab your wok and you can have this delectable, Chloe-approved, Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry on the table.

Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry from Weelicious

Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry  (4)

• 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil (i like to use toasted)
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or grated
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped or grated
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon water
  • 1 pound boneless sirloin, tri tip, flank or skirt steak – sliced into 2 x 1/2 inch strips
  • 1 package (14 ounces) frozen or fresh broccoli florets
  • 3 teaspoons vegetable oil

1. 1. Whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, garlic and ginger.
  2. 2. Place the beef in a Ziploc bag (or glass bowl), pouring in half of the sauce mixture to coat the beef. Marinate for either 20 minutes on the counter or covered overnight in the fridge.
  3. 3. Whisk the cornstarch and water together and add to the remaining sauce mixture.
  4. 4. Heat a wok or large sauté pan over high heat, add 2 teaspoons oil and add the beef. Cook for 4 minutes and remove beef to a clean bowl.
  5. 5. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil to the pan and cook the broccoli for 2 minutes.
  6. 6. Add the beef back into the pan. Make a well in the center and pour in the sauce. Cook until the sauce is thick and everything is heated through, about 2 minutes.
  7. 7. Serve over brown rice.
Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry

Comments

1. Pingback: Broccoli Beef Stir Fry - Chinese Take Out Copycat Recipe - Weelicious - Food - Videorg.com

2. Pingback: In Season: Broccoli - The Kitchenthusiast

3. Cheryl

February 21, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I was looking for something to make for kiddos tonight using the thin pork chops and I am going to try this recipe.

4. lglmaxwell

February 14, 2013 at 6:34 am

This is a fast and easy recipe to make for dinner. I steamed the broccoli for a few minutes before putting it in the pan because we like our broccoli more on the soft side rather than the crunchy side. Turned out wonderful!

• Lisa

October 3, 2014 at 4:57 am

I steamed the broccoli separately as well. My daughter does not like the hard stems if not! I also cubed the meat into small pieces then slow cooked it by itself for three hours. Turned out perfect for my family!

5. sammyleenoble

January 26, 2013 at 2:06 pm

We had this last night. It was amazing!

6. Addie

January 19, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I just made it and it was DELICIOUS!! Very easy to make too.. Thank you

• Lali

February 4, 2014 at 8:51 am

At present,butterballs are esaily seen everywhere,especially in schools.Many reasons,including less physical excercise,unhealthy dietary habit and irregularwork & rest often result in their over weight.

7. Annie

December 29, 2012 at 12:05 pm

this looks delicious . . . where do you get the little chopstick people?

8. Elizabeth

November 18, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Can I replace steak with chicken? Do I need to adjust the recipe at all?

November 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Hmm I think chicken would probably work! Slice it thin just like you would the steak. It will cook faster. So remove it from the pan once it is cooked through, probably 2-3 minutes! Let me know how it comes out!

9. 773450

July 14, 2012 at 11:34 pm

What does ” make a well” mean?

July 16, 2012 at 11:31 am

It means to push the ingredients out of the way so that you’re pouring the sauce onto the pan itself instead of directly on top of everything in the pan! :)

10. Nettie

May 12, 2012 at 5:11 am

Does the fresh broc have to be steamed / cooked first? Thanks.

• Kunduz

February 4, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Trust me, you’ll never want to stop eating this htalehy salad all summer long!Arugula, Watermelon and Feta Salad (Food Nework.com)Yields 4 servingsVinaigrette:bc cup freshly squeezed orange juicebc cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)bc cup minced shallots (1 large)1 Tablespoon honeybd cup EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)1 teaspoon kosher saltbd teaspoon freshly ground black pepper6 cups baby arugula, washed and spun dry2 cups seedless watermelon, rind removed, cut bd inch cubes12 ounces feta cheese, bd inch diced1 cup (4 ounces) whole fresh mint leaves, juliennedDirections:Whisk together the orange juice, lemon juice, shallots, honey, salt and pepper. Slowly pour in the olive oil, whisking constantly, to form an emulsion. If not using within an hour, store the vinaigrette covered in the refrigerator.Place the arugula, watermelon, feta and mint in a large bowl. Drizzle with enough vinaigrette to coat the greens lightly and toss well. Taste for seasonings and serve immediately.

May 14, 2012 at 11:41 am

Nope! It will cook once you put it in the pan according to the directions.

11. Casey

May 8, 2012 at 11:50 am

Do you feel this is appropriate for an 18month old? I have only given my son ground beef because of potential hard time chewing. Thanks1

12. Fern

April 24, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I think most kids would be happy with broccoli and beef. Makes a nutricious meal! My kids love it too!

13. Leslie

April 24, 2012 at 9:23 am

Any tips on how to keep the beef from not getting too tough? Seems like that always happens and that ends up being toddler unfriendly.

14. Amber

April 21, 2012 at 12:03 am

yum, it was very good and passed the test of my super picky husband! I felt like it needed something crunchy, so I may try chopped peanuts or crunchy noodles next time, even though that’s not typical for broccoli beef.

15. Eliza

April 19, 2012 at 2:56 pm

This looks just like Panda Express!
    I’m getting rather hungry…=o

16. Kandice

April 18, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Where do you get your grass fed beef? I’m in north orange county & haven’t found a good place. Sprouts has some but it’s from Uruguay & that scares me!

17. Grace

April 18, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Are you supposed to add the juice from the beef back into the pan with the veggies, or just the beef?

April 19, 2012 at 11:41 am

Just the beef. :)

• Joseph

February 4, 2014 at 11:01 pm

found this recipe on Pinterest, pnnied by many of my friends, and was able to find the original website it was pnnied from. It looked easy enough, and those are the best kind of meals in my opinion, so I

18. Rosa

April 18, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Would this also work with just veggies?

April 18, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Yes! All veggies would work great in this!

19. Jaci

April 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm

COuld I use a healthier oil? Like coconut oil or olive oil instead?

April 18, 2012 at 12:49 pm

You could use another oil, but it will affect the flavor. I like using the vegetable oil because it handles high heat better (peanut and safflower oil do that even better!)

20. mary

April 18, 2012 at 9:46 am

What makes the sauce thicken? I’ve also tried making the orange chicken and my sauce doesn’t thicken, it just boils and looks like soup.

• Krissy

April 18, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Indeed, cornstarch is often used as a thickener. Just as a tip tho for novices, use cold water with cornstarch, and always mix it prior to adding to pan with water or it will just make unappealing clumps.

• Susiany

February 4, 2014 at 2:25 am

fwiw, the circularity of tevlsieion reference is explored in detail in the dfw essay e unum pluribus , or was it e pluribus unum ? hmm. on got milk? in particular, there is a sort of down home hokey quality in the word got’ too, its a klunky word that always makes me think of a cow chewing cud. i wonder if this ad campaign is partly responsible for that. hmm 2.

April 18, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Yes, the cornstarch and water mixture, also known as a “slurry”, make the sauce thicken!

• Ana

April 18, 2012 at 11:07 am

The cornstarch is what makes the sauce thicken. You can always a bit more.

21. Doreen

April 18, 2012 at 9:06 am

They have those chopsticks at overstock.com. Just search for:
    Fred & Friends Children’s Girl Chopstick Hinge
    I’m sure they have them other places too. Have fun!
    LOVE this recipe for my carnivore/broccoli fanatic!

22. Kizzi

April 18, 2012 at 8:33 am

That’s what I want to know too…my son keeps trying so hard with regular ones and he’s having such a hard time.

23. Katie | Healthnut Foodie

April 18, 2012 at 8:32 am

Beef and broccoli is one of our favorites as well! We even published our favorite version in my cookbook. LOVE the health benefits of 100% grass-fed beef as well!

24. Samantha F in St. Paul

April 18, 2012 at 8:16 am

Where did you get the chopsticks? They are adorable!

25. marla