Top Ten Finger Foods

* Steamed Veggies with sesame seeds or salt free seasoning toddlers can sprinkle on
* Ripe fruits cut into bite size pieces (mango, papaya, banana, berries, pears, peaches, persimmon, strawberries, or any seasonal fruit)
* Whole Wheat Bagels (which also make great teethers)
* Cubed tofu
* Cooked beans
* Seaweed snack
* Cheese cubes or sticks
* Edamame/soy beans
* Spoonful of nut butter (this one will keep your toddler busy for at least a few minutes- I used to give this to my puppy ;))
* Cooked pasta ( cut into bite size pieces and mixed with tomato sauce, pesto or even a touch of olive oil and parmesan)

Image by Maren Caruso

Comments

1. Sheena Ingram

May 21, 2014 at 11:16 am

I was wondering about the edamame/soy/tofu… I have been reading conflicting things about this food.
    Some things I read say that it is a great protein and is very healthy.
    Other things I have been reading say that if it is not organic non-gmo or even if it is organic non gmo it can cause cancer because of the high estrogen levels in it.
    I would like to try it but, I am very conflicted about this. Can you add any insight??!
    Thank you!

2. Shanna

November 14, 2013 at 11:41 am

Good ideas!

3. Lisa Kumpula

August 4, 2013 at 8:32 am

Thanks, Love The Ideas!

4. Amanda

July 29, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Love the ideas thanks!

5. Ashly

April 19, 2013 at 10:18 am

My response looks confusing- I found the recepie but not bread crumbs. (See original comment below) thanks Catherine!

• Shivam

February 4, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Our park has that rubber type stuff. I love it beaucse he’s less likely to get hurt on it if he falls.Amy – So many people say that. It’s really noticeable when they are in a picture together! And we miss you all too!

6. ashly

March 29, 2013 at 10:50 am

Catherine, I bought the book and didn’t find the animal veggie nuggets

March 29, 2013 at 11:34 am

Page 210! They’re called Veggie Nuggets!

• ashly

April 18, 2013 at 4:53 pm

What kind of bread crumbs do you use? My 15 month old doesn’t like “crunchy”, she prefers softer foods with these molars coming in. Thanks!

• ashly

April 18, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Found it! So excited!

7. kat

October 14, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I really just want the recipe for those animal-shaped veggie nuggets in the picture! I can’t find it anywhere on the website.

8. Melissa

September 12, 2012 at 6:07 pm

A little nut butter on a spoon that a toddler can lick off while sitting in a highchair (or other chair they normally eat in) is less of a choking hazard than letting them walk around eating other types of finger foods. The baby’s saliva will break down the nut butter easier and faster than a cookie, cracker or apple.

9. Kayle

August 14, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Pretty common sense to watch your child with any food. My daughter did fabulous with a spoonful of crunchy peanut butter at 9mos.

10. Tiffany

August 7, 2012 at 11:32 am

I’m guessing she means a spoonful put on the highchair or something, it will give them something to play with and lick off their fingers :)

11. baha

July 18, 2012 at 3:27 pm

that is right nut butter is really sticky and hard to chew even for adults!!!

12. cc

June 27, 2012 at 7:35 pm

A spoonful of nut butter is a choking hazard for a toddler. Just a teaspoon can block the windpipe. Nut butters should only be served to toddlers and young kids when spread thinly on crackers, etc. Fine for a puppy though!