Better Than Ice Cream

Sometimes my husband is as creative in the kitchen as my son is. The two of them have a knack for coming up with inventive recipes that I probably never would have thought of. Take for instance this protein-rich, creamy and naturally sweet treat that's loaded with cinnamon, honey and walnuts. The first time hubby prepared it was one recent Sunday night after dinner. I had just offered the kids ice cream for dessert but my husband jumped in and said, “I’ve got something for you guys that's much better than ice cream."

Better than ice cream? Somehow Kenya and Chloe went for it, though I have to believe that if these words had come out of my mouth instead of Daddy's it wouldn't have had the same powerful effect on them. Minutes later my mad scientist husband was spooning his mouthwatering creation into colorful bowls and my kids were devouring it. By the time they asked for thirds, I knew this dish was a hit. It's versatile too and can be served just as easily for breakfast or in a lunch box as it can for dessert. Try doing that with ice cream.

Greek Yogurt with Cinnamon & Honey  (serves 2)

• 1 1/2 cups greek yogurt (0 or 2 %)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or more, to taste)
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped

1. 1. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.

Accompaniments: accompaniments: fresh or dried berries, sliced peaches, diced bananas, kiwis or mango

Greek Yogurt with Cinnamon & Honey

Comments

1. peachy2323

December 12, 2013 at 9:28 am

Love this ,just so easy

2. Teresa Burns

June 28, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Yes I would love any good tasting healthy recipes.

3. Diana

May 4, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I love your recipes are very simple and healty, thanks!!!

4. peachy2323

January 3, 2013 at 3:36 am

I love greek yougurt

5. peachy2323

January 3, 2013 at 3:35 am

You are so good with recipes

6. Penny

December 2, 2012 at 8:22 pm

My 2 1/2 year old LOVES this yogurt. Thank you for the great idea!
    I make it with 1 c 10% Greek yogurt (milk causes him to have a rash and diarrhea), 1 T honey, 1 t cinnamon and 1 scoop baby probiotics. I love that it’s a great source of fat and calcium for him, and he just thinks it tastes amazing :)

7. Chris

November 13, 2012 at 7:38 am

Looks yummy! I love Greek yogurt. Please put me on your mailing list. Thanks!

8. estela montes

September 20, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I have a daughter she is 18 months can’t she have some honey and nuts

September 20, 2012 at 4:33 pm

As long as she is supervised this should be okay for an 18 month old. Maybe chop the nuts smaller first.

9. Aline Arantes

September 19, 2012 at 8:17 am

Greek yogurt has finally arrived in Brazil, but only the sweetened version.
    : (
    I guess I could not add the honey, although it won’t be as healthy.

• Kristin

September 4, 2013 at 12:14 am

Traditional Greek yogurt is basically plain goat’s milk yogurt that has had much of the whey strained out of it.. To make a close substitute, just buy a tub of plain whole milk yogurt and and strain it in a cheesecloth lined mesh strainer set over a bowl.. Not sure how long you should let the yogurt sit, but you could probably find a tutorial on-line.

10. Keith's Mom

August 16, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I keep all the ingredients at work and have this as my snack. It feels indulgent but I know it’s healthy!

11. Lisa | With Style and Grace

August 14, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I love eating yogurt for dessert and the fact that you can also get your kids to do it, brillant! also, never thought to add walnut to my yogurt – definitely doing that next time!

12. Elizabeth

August 14, 2012 at 10:52 am

I actually made this and used it as a dip for fruit at a kids party, was a hit and so easy! Much healthier than your mallow/whipped cream varieties (not that those aren’t yummy too).

13. Yvina

August 14, 2012 at 2:33 am

Also you can have a tub of plain yougurt and do different flavors everytime. Ice cream is a treat. Yougurt should be everyday,especially with the good for you add ons like nuts and spices and honey.

14. Yvina

August 14, 2012 at 2:30 am

I think the comparison is because this one is better for you, is healthier than ice cream , you can have it as breakfast and take it as dessert in a lunch pack. S

15. Nicole

August 13, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I make this all the time for us-if your family likes nut butters, add about 1TB in with the honey and cinnamon….delish!! Also if the Greek yogurt is too thick for some little ones, thin with some milk.!

16. thefrancofly

August 13, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Yum! I’m definitely going to try this with fromage blanc because it is far Frenchier.

thefrancofly.wordpress.com

17. Marta

August 13, 2012 at 10:05 am

This recipe is a delicious classic! Didn’t think greek yogurt tasted any different than other yogurts? The product is the same, greek yogurt us merely strained, to have lower moisture content, and consequently a thicker texture. The texture is so thick and yummy! But I agree, comparing yogurt to ice cream is like comparing apples and oranges.

18. Darlene

August 13, 2012 at 9:57 am

As much as we love and eat this all the time it is no way better than ice cream…No way. Like apples and oranges

19. laurel

August 13, 2012 at 9:46 am

So, its just yogurt? We never buy already sweetened yogurt so this is how we’ve always eaten it. I thought maybe this was another frozen alternative to ice cream. You can throw this in the ice cream maker. We do that all the time too.

20. samantha f in st. paul

August 13, 2012 at 9:45 am

I’m guessing this can be frozen just like ice cream as well.

21. Tamara

August 13, 2012 at 8:59 am

We eat this All.The.Time and every time we have it I wonder why I ever eat ice cream?

22. Ruth

August 13, 2012 at 8:44 am

I made this once w/ plain Greek yogurt and the Greek taste and cinnamon were too strong for our tastes. The next time I used non-Greek vanilla yogurt and less cinnamon and my family loved it.

23. Amy J.

August 13, 2012 at 8:36 am

I was going to ask the same question…. I think I would use vanilla…

• Kristin

September 4, 2013 at 12:30 am

If you don’t like greek yogurt, try plain whole milk yogurt instead. Flavored yogurt had boatloads of added sugar or even worse fake sugar. The reason this dish is healthier then ice cream is because of the plain yogurt.. My 3 girls have only ever had plain yogurt and they love it! Brands of plain yogurt taste different as well. Also, play with the seasoning. I personally think 3 tbs of honey would be too sweet. Though, yogurt will never be as good as homemade ice cream.

24. Heather P.

August 13, 2012 at 8:31 am

Did you use vanilla flavored greek yogurt, or plain?

August 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm