Berry Green Smoothie: Start 2013 With A Boost of Health

Berry Green Smoothie from Weelicious

I need a cleanse. A big one. Physically, emotionally, and everything in between. As excited as I get for the holidays, I am almost just as happy when they end so I can start a new year fresh. I don't like to admit that it's been months (and then some) since I've done any kind if exercise. It's not ok. At all. I keep reminding myself that I need to get moving, not only for myself, but in order to be a good role model for my kids as well. Unfortunately, 2012 was one of those years where time just seemed to get away from me.

That doesn't mean this past year was a total loss. I did eat pretty well. Even over the holidays while the kids and I were baking (and sneaking bites from) dozens of Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Sea Salt Cookies for their teachers, we managed to get in some healthy, delicious smoothies. And thank heavens for that since we really needed something to counterbalance the daily doses of sugar, white flour, and fat.

My kids have been happily binging on smoothies lately -- helping me make them and tossing everything but the kitchen sink into the blender. I've been buying lots of fresh greens like spinach and kale, and tons of different frozen fruit for them to mix and match all sorts of flavors. I'm particularly psyched that they've been taking the lead in the recipe creation department because mommy has needed some new ideas.

You might think that little ones would be thrown by the idea of combining fruits and green veggies to make a smoothie, but I'm finding my kids experience to be the complete opposite. To them it seems totally natural (and when you think about it, why shouldn't it?). They get a thrill out of coming up with new combinations every day, like this Berry Green Smoothie. If anyone in your family is spinach averse, they'll never detect it in today's recipe, a thick purple shake which tastes of sweet bananas and berries.

My resolutions this year (I usually dread making them, but I need a couple this year), are to commit daily to drinking smoothies made solely from foods I know are good for my body, and getting off my tushy for at least 30 minutes a day to exercise.

Happy 2013!

Berry Green Smoothie  (serves 2)

• 2 cups packed spinach
  • 2 cups frozen mixed berries
  • 2 cups coconut water
  • 1 large banana, mashed

1. 1. Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth.
Berry Green Smoothie

Comments

1. Pingback: List of Healthy Meals | thehummingbirdfiles

2. Beth

June 19, 2014 at 12:27 pm

My son loves this!! Do you think you could freeze it for Popsicles? Thanks!

3. sadie

February 15, 2014 at 12:02 pm

i am a vegetarian do you think i could put some protein powder in this? if so how much?

4. Rebecca G.

February 8, 2014 at 12:51 am

Do you think kale could be substituted for the spinach? Thanks! :-)

5. Catherine Davies

November 19, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I use almond milk and chia seeds and LSA as well mmm

6. Gretchen

June 8, 2013 at 10:20 am

This is one of my favorite smoothies. I use one banana, cup of raspberries, add in a dash of lemon juice, and a tablespoon of almond butter and flax seeds. YUM!

7. Pingback: Is It Healthy? | Seriously Sassy Mama

8. TwinMama

April 8, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I thought my kids would hate this because I thought it was pretty blah, but they LOVED it. Carried their straw cups around nonstop and emptied cup after cup until it was gone!

I used part water and part apple juice instead of coconut water and frozen blueberries instead of mixed berries.

9. Erica

March 11, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Would frozen portions of spinach be ok to use?

March 11, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Green smoothies really need the fresh spinach because the frozen just is too wet and gets clumpy instead of blending into teeny tiny smooth pieces!

10. lori

February 15, 2013 at 1:56 pm

great idea!

11. Pingback: Pear and Arugula Smoothie

12. karlie

January 7, 2013 at 11:27 am

I substituted a cup of milk and a cup of vanilla yogurt for the water and I froze it in baby food jars for quick mornings or snacks. When its defrosted I just shake it up and put a straw in for my son to drink right out of the jar. He thinks its pretty cool.

13. ericabusby

January 5, 2013 at 11:15 am

Great Recipe! My 2 year old devoured it and she is a picky pants :)

14. Pingback: Link Love « Hy-vee Health State of Mind

15. Jennifer

January 4, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Hi there! I am banana averse (I cannot stand them and can taste them in ANYTHING). Do you have a suggestion on a good fruit or other healthy addition that can act as a thickener and/or flavor booster?

• Jamie

January 9, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I have heard that mango is a good thickener replacement for banana in smoothies.

• Marie

January 4, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I am also not a fan of bananas, and lately I have been using ripe pear as a replacement. It blends super well and adds a ton of sweetness! Try it out! Also, if a recipe calls for frozen banana, I throw in a few frozen cauliflowerettes as well as the pear. It works like a charm and with berries in there you can’t even taste it!

January 4, 2013 at 12:27 pm

The banana adds flavor and sweetness. You could try using a natural/sugar-free juice, or some other sweet fruit like kiwi or apple!

16. Carrie

January 3, 2013 at 11:31 am

Lots delish! Do you use a juicer? If so, which one?

17. pippa

January 3, 2013 at 6:04 am

Hi, I don’t like coconut water, could you substitute skim milk?

Thanks

January 3, 2013 at 11:25 am

You can! You could also use regular water or a sugar free/natural fruit juice!

18. Hsiaolei Parks

January 2, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Yum. We have smoothies like this almost every morning. I also use organic carrot juice with the coconut water and add some ground flax seed along with 1/2 an avocado.

19. Linda

January 2, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Do you add the coconut pulp or strain it?

January 2, 2013 at 11:38 pm

I use coconut water! It comes in little individual boxes like this: http://www.onedrinks.com/

• Linda

January 4, 2013 at 11:00 am

Thanks. The coconut water that I drink has bits of coconut pulp in it as well. I will try it with the pulp and without to see which is better. I usually use juice in my smoothies, never thought of using coconut water.

20. ctgirl

January 2, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I’m gonna turn winter into summer by eating ice cream and drinking smoothies. I wil start off with this. Great recipe!

21. Rich

January 2, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Hi, can you tell me what you mean by ‘packed spinach’ please. Do you mean fresh spinach washed & packed in bags, canned spinach or frozen ?

January 2, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Fresh spinach. Pack the leaves into the measuring cup!

• Rich

January 2, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Thanks, this sounds really easy !

22. Jodi

January 2, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I Received a vitamix fOr Christmas and we’ve been doing the same with our two boys ages 2 and 4. They love to get right up there and throw everything in it. Kale, carrots, pineapple, pear, kiwi, banana, strawberries, blueberries. We all love drinking them and our 4 year old drinks about three glasses in a sitting. By the way- I haven’t worked out since summer. There is no time! I tell myself that I will workout everyday once they are both in school. In the mean time we’ll just get super healthy on smoothies. Great post!

23. Diana @ Eating Made Easy

January 2, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Great smoothie! I started making healthy smoothies like this every morning for the past few months…. they are so good, no going back!

24. Laura

January 2, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I make fruit and vegetable smoothies for my son every day, and he loves them. However, when I try to drink them, I can’t get past the texture of the spinach, kale, or other green bits. Any advice on how to make smoothies super smooth?

25. Donelle

January 2, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I have been making smoothies for my oldest son since he was 1 year old. He is super picky about what he eats so this has been my way of getting those healthy veggies in. It is funny that he won’t touch the veggies I put in the smoothie in a meal but will help me put it all in to a blender and then happily drinks it up! Thank goodness for smoothies!

26. Jill B

January 2, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Love this recipe.. Question though, are all your ingredients organic? I know it’s not referred to, but wondering. Sometimes I can’t find all organic and wondering if you would just skip or go ahead with the non-organic items. Thanks. And my daughter loves cooking from your cook book.!

January 2, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I buy organic whenever possible and most of my produce comes from the farmers market!

• Jill B

January 2, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Thanks.

• Almi

February 2, 2014 at 10:45 pm

I also love to have mint chocolate sithoome. It’s very refreshing and after doing hard works one glass of mint chocolate is very inspiring. I like your post and those wonderful pictures as well. Thanks

27. Heather D

January 2, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Catherine, Don’t feel so bad for not exercising. You published an AMAZING book in 2012 that will help many families to eat great things! You look great too!

28. Heather D

January 2, 2013 at 12:21 pm

What a great idea to start the New Year! Thanks!

29. Ann Marie

January 2, 2013 at 11:52 am

I love that this smoothie isn’t green, but why 2 cups of spinach? Seems like a lot!!

January 2, 2013 at 3:33 pm

This recipe serves 2! 1 cup of spinach per person gives tons of vitamins and nutrients!

• Ann Marie

January 2, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Oh ok, that makes sense…I didnt read it thoroughly

30. Anna Marks

January 2, 2013 at 11:37 am

breakfast tommorrow… :) :) yum.. thanks

31. Jadah {Simple Green Smoothies}

January 2, 2013 at 11:23 am

We just started a 30 day green smoothie challenge today. Drink at least one green smoothie a day! Join us here:

We have a lot of support on http://www.facebook.com/simplegreensmoothies too. :-)

32. april

January 2, 2013 at 11:15 am

I need this too! For someone who’s not exercising, you look fantastic! :) Can I ask what kind of coconut water you buy? I steer away from it because I’m just not sure which ones are worthy of drinking. Thanks.

January 2, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I buy O.N.E. Natural Coconut Water!

33. Jessica

January 2, 2013 at 11:08 am

Green smoothies (a.k.a. beautiful smoothies and/or groovy smoothies in my house) have saved my life this holiday season! A great counter-balance to everything holiday that has been consumed….