With all the cold weekend nights we've had here in southern California this winter, my kids somehow talked me into making hot chocolate for them on a regular basis. On one of those evenings I discovered with horror that I had run out of marshmallows. There was a mutiny in my house, I tell you. Luckily I had some whipping cream which I quickly turned into the thickest, most velvety fluff ever. It was so addictive that I started making making homemade whipped cream way more often than I probably should have -- especially given how fattening it is -- but if you could see the looks on my kids' faces whenever I make it, you'd understand why I just couldn't resist.
I had to come up with more uses for all that whipped cream and so I've been letting Kenya and Chloe use heart-shaped cookie cutters in a variety of sizes to to pop out these adorable Puff Pastry Berry Hearts. We then fill them with fresh raspberries, whipped cream, and lots of their favorite toppings, creating these sweet little tarts.
If you want a super simple, totally lovely Valentine's Day dessert, this is the one for you!
Puff Pastry Berry Hearts (makes about 18 hearts depending on the size of cookie cutter)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries (or mixed berries)
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In the bowl of a standing mixer, or with an electric mixer, combine the cream, vanilla and sugar and beat on high until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
3. Unfold the puff pastry and cut into hearts using heart-shaped cookie cutters.
4. Place the puff pastry hearts on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Slice hearts in half. Top one half with whipped cream and berries, and place the other half on top to form a sandwich.