Lime Mint Soda: Drink It Up On St Patty's Day

Since we drink very little juice and no soda in our house (my husband actually gave up soda 20 years ago) our kids primarily drink herbal tea or sparkling water which we make ourselves. They are happy with that for the most part, but once in a while I like to make them something special like Horchata, Kiddie Cocktail, or a homemade soda like today's recipe.

St Patty's Day is almost here and so I came up with a special holiday themed cocktail that is a take on a mojito (but no booze -- this is family friendly!!). With fresh mint and lime juice and just a touch of honey for sweetness, this virgin cocktail is a real treat for your Blarney celebration or any time of year when you want something healthy and homemade to replace that soda craving.

Green Soda  (serves 2)

• 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice (about the juice of one small lime)
  • 2 teaspoons honey (or to taste)
  • 2 cups sparkling or seltzer water
  • ice

1. 1. Place the mint leaves, lime juice, honey and 1/4 cup of the water into a blender and puree until smooth.
  2. 2. Pour mixture into two glasses over ice and top with the remaining seltzer water.
Green Soda

Comments

1. jeannine barthel

March 20, 2014 at 12:20 pm

This was such a great drink! We do not let our kids have pop often, but this is an awesome alternative! The four of them kept saying, “Thanks, Mom, for letting us have pop.” Wink, wink ;)

2. Heather

March 15, 2013 at 10:27 am

The kids and I tried this last night. Everyone loved it. I did pour it through a small strainer before I poured it into the glasses. There were still some bits of mint in it but not quite as much. I didn’t think that the kids would like the mouthfeel of all of the mint in the drink. We agreed that will have to grow some mint this summer so that we can drink it more often.

3. Colleen

March 14, 2013 at 6:53 am

Looks great!!! And as suzi mentioned, it’s paddy not patty. :P

4. Diana @ Eating Made Easy

March 13, 2013 at 7:55 pm

clever idea for the kiddos!

5. Jennifer

March 13, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Do you have a favorite blender for these delicious drinks and smoothies?

6. Courtney

March 13, 2013 at 2:18 pm

This looks INCREDIBLE! We’re having a St. Patricks day party with some of my mommy friends and their wee ones (lol) so I’m SO exited you decided to do some green things for the holiday! I had a quick question, I’m trying desperately to break my husband of his soda addiction and i hadn’t even thought of herbal teas as an alternative! Do you have any recommendations for some of your favorites? Thanks so much!

March 13, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I like Tazo, Celestial Seasonings, Yogi and Mighty Leaf!

• Courtney

March 13, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Thank you SO MUCH! I’ll put those on the grocery list this week i appreciate it!

7. allyson

March 13, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Sounds AMAZING and will be trying this, not just for St Patty’s Day but all summer long! I love mojitos and am expecting in the fall so I really appreciate this “fun” drink to enjoy all summer!

8. suzi

March 13, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Love the green St. Paddy’s Day drink. My father was named Paddy and our son we named after him so I always find myself educting people around this time as to the correct way to spell Paddy. Sounds like a “t” but actually spelled with a “d”!
    Erin go Braugh!

9. Jessica

March 13, 2013 at 11:47 am

Can’t wait to try this. I live in Mexico, and mint leaves are hard to find. I’m going to try anyway. The picture reminds me of “agua de hoja de limón.” We blend up the LEAVES from a lime tree, and it’s delicious!!!

10. Janet

March 13, 2013 at 11:34 am

The recipe I’m reading shows blending the mint leaves…
    I love mojitos, and virgin mojitos were my favorite while pregnant. Looking forward to offering this to my toddler!

11. chris

March 13, 2013 at 11:15 am

I’m confused – the picture doesn’t look anything like mint leaves “crushed with a spoon”, as the directions say to do. How do you get that delicious minty flavor into the soda? Or what is in those glasses that does indeed look so appetizing? Because it’s not crushed whole mint leaves, that’s for sure!

March 13, 2013 at 11:22 am

Whoops! I’ve corrected the recipe! I input a different recipe’s directions accidentally.