14 Foods You Didn't Know You Could Freeze Video

14 Surprisingly Freezable Foods Video

Yum

I have something embarrassing to confess.

I freeze everything, and I mean everything. Case in point I still have the birthday cake I served at my dear friend Alex's and my joint birthday in May....of 2001. OK, that's an extreme example that speaks more to how sentimental I am, not to mention being kinda gnarly. My point is that anytime I make something new, I freeze a portion of it to test how it stands up to the freezer so that I can share the results with you. As any time-challenged mom knows, having great food that defrosts and reheats easily can be a lifesaver, so the more freezable foods to make into recipes, the better.

Check this out to find out the 14 surprisingly freezable foods video that you never would have imagined!

14 Surprisingly Freezable Foods Video

14 Surprisingly Freezable Foods Video

And here's the cake I just can't get myself to toss out. Maybe we'll give it a try on our next birthday party together. Hmm... I've got to the think about that one.

Comments

1. Roger Tourville

February 19, 2014 at 10:37 am

poor quality video!!

2. Judith L Farley

February 19, 2014 at 5:38 am

…fabulous ! …

3. Karen M

February 18, 2014 at 2:43 pm

I buy organic so I do not want to waste a thing. In order to purchase organic oranges I need to buy a whole bag. I grate the rind for zest, measure it out and put into ice cube trays with water. I squeeze the juice from them and put that into ice cube trays, I then eat the pulp that is left over. I do the same for lemons & lime. I also organic garden. Last year I had an abundant amount of heirloom tomatoes. I did not have time to can them so I put them on a sheet pan and froze them whole. They work great for casseroles and Italian dishes, and the skin slips off nicely.

4. Deborah Waddell

February 18, 2014 at 3:11 pm

I freeze anything and everything! I’ll try freezing anything I have too much of or it’s near expiration date – I figure if the item doesn’t freeze great I really haven’t lost much since I would have lost it anyhow!

5. Sue

February 18, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Enjoyed even though I knew most of your freezeables. My favor and best time saver is onions. I buy big bags of vidalia onions. I chop or slice and freeze in freezer sandwich bags and date them. At one point I had a whole shelf full. I use a lot of onions and this way they are always already chopped or sliced and ready to sauté or throw into the crockpot. Btw when onions are cut or partially used and bagged and refrigerated they turn overnight very bad chemically SO chop and bag for freezer.

6. Laurie B

February 18, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Cheese is another easily freezable food. I buy bulk bags of shredded cheddar at Sams club, break it up into smaller bags, and freeze them. When I need some cheese for burritos, chili, mac n cheese, etc. Just grab a bag from the freezer. They thaw quickly if you just leave them on the countertop until you’re ready to use. You can microwave thaw them, but they melt too easily for my taste.

7. Beverly Kendrick

February 18, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I’m trying to get rid of all plastic. I don’t even want them in lids.
    I bought seeds to start growing some plants in front of my balcony windows. they were heirloom seeds.
    I eat gluten free and have allergies to at least 5 of the gluten free flours.
    I bring plants in from my balcony in the fall and keep them through the winter. Chemicals aren’t allowed in my apartment. I didn’t let the man hired to spray to come in last summer.
    I shut off my air conditioner last summer and kept two windows open unless it was raining. I stayed healthier than most. A few days the chemicals from the lawn were strong and I had to close the windows.
    I RELEASE, CIRCULATE, MIGRATE, AND PROLIFERATE MY OWN ADULT STEM CELLS FROM MY BONE MARROW. I believe in healthier eating. I want to purchase a deep freeze and freeze the vegeggies from my balcony garden and the ones I buy at the Farmer’s Markets I attend.
    A local person told me he would bring me all of the sweet corn I wanted if I get a deep freeze. I live on the second floor and I use a walker. I walk to the grocery stores and get most of my groceries.
    Thank you for the ideas. I look forward to learning more from your blog.

8. Pam

February 18, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I have been doing this for years. I like to use the frozen milk in making mashed potatoes, just toss into the hot potatoes with butter before whipping or if using instant add to water before boiling. I will also freeze the last bit of sour cream in small containers to add to mashed potatoes as well. If you like baking and don’t want to throw away bananas mash them and add a bit of lemon juice then freeze them to add to a recipe later(they do turn brown but if put into banana bread you only notice the flavor.)

9. Eloise

July 31, 2013 at 10:57 pm

I freeze the tomato paste by tablespoons on a piece of plastic wrap (on a tray), then pop them into a container. You don’t have to defrost the whole blob of tomato paste for your recipe. Or you can freeze them by tablespoonfuls in an ice cube tray.

10. rebeca

July 27, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Thanks for the freezing tips,I have learned a lot more on wht I can freeze now.

11. Kristy

July 26, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Catherine- Why do you sprinkle salt or sugar on the egg before freezing?

12. LB

July 23, 2013 at 7:14 pm

It is hard for me to watch videos – can someone please list these? Thanks!

• Tabea

July 29, 2013 at 9:39 am

@LB
      Milk – stir before using for baking
      Wine in ice cube tray
      Tomato paste in container (3-4 months)
      Chicken stock
      Maple syrup
      Fresh herbs – put leaves into water
      Egg in individual containers – with pinch of sugar or salt
      Nuts (almonds) – stay fresh in the freezer for months
      Coconut
      Chia seeds
      Wheat germs
      Sandwich bread – pop slices into toaster
      Butter

13. Jerilyn

July 23, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Great video info on freezeable foods…I always wondered about freezing chia seed and flaked/shredded coconut, and now I know – thanks!

14. Tracy

July 23, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Thanks for the video! If you freeze a loaf of sliced bread, is it easy to pull apart just a slice or two when it’s frozen, if that’s all you need? I love that it can go straight to the toaster. Also, I’m guessing that oat bran is a good item for the freezer too?

July 24, 2013 at 9:14 am

Yes, it is easy to pull just a few slices! Sometimes a few will stick together, but for the most part they come apart. Yes, oat bran is another great one for the freezer!

• Laurie B

February 18, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I freeze my bread all the time, so I can buy 3-6 loaves and always have bread on hand. I will usually pull out an entire loaf at a time to use, but you can just take out a few slices. Usually 10 seconds in the microwave is all it takes to defrost them if you don’t want to toast them. Same goes for bagels or english muffins. I will take a frozen bagel, microwave for 10 seconds, flip it over, give it another 10, and it’s thawed and ready to eat or toast.

15. Alecia

July 23, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Sometimes I find that I have either egg yolks or whites leftover from something I have cooked or baked that only needed one or the other. Can I freeze those? If so what can I use them for in the future? For example will frozen, then thawed yolks still whip up? Thanks! I too hate throwing away food!

• Diana

July 23, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Make meringues with the thawed frozen whites, and frozen custard with the thawed frozen yolks! Mmmm

16. Dalila

July 23, 2013 at 1:51 pm

LOL the cake

17. Jennifer

July 23, 2013 at 12:19 pm

what containers do you use to freeze?

18. April

July 23, 2013 at 11:47 am

That cake is hilarious! I never thought of butter or milk. Thanks for the tips.