I was browsing through my Valentine's Day pins on Pinterest and realized I have a lot of sweet recipes. Tons of heart ideas, of course. But not so many savory dishes are represented.
For the past four years I've decorated my kitchen with 50 or so red, white and pink balloons, confetti, streamers, Chinese lanterns and so on to create a surprise Valentine's Day party for the kids. I've made them everything to eat from Ravioli Pesto Hearts to Raspberry Heart Tea Sandwiches. Even though I'm sure they would be thrilled if I only made them dessert for dinner, their Valentine tradition will now include these little Heart Pizettes. Not only are they absolutely adorable, but if you buy pre-made dough from your local pizzeria or the grocery (I get mine at Trader Joe's when I don't make it myself), they take absolutely no time to prepare.
Whether you decide to surprise your family with a party or just want to get them in the kitchen to cook with you, these pizettes will be a savory hit that will make everyone say, "sweet!"
Heart Pizzettes (makes 12 mini pizzas)
- 1 pound pizza dough, room temperature
- 1/3 cup Pizza Sauce
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and lightly grease with cooking spray.
3. Sprinkle a little flour on your work surface and use a rolling pin roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thick.
4. Using a 4-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out the dough and place onto baking tray.
5. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of pizza sauce onto dough leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edge.
6. Sprinkle with cheese and place any additional toppings on top.
7. Bake for 13-15 minutes until golden brown and cheese is melted and bubbly.
toppings: olives, bell peppers, pepperoni, mushrooms, broccoli, ham, pineapple and/or cherry tomatoes