Creamy Vanilla Cinnamon Pudding

Vanilla Cinnamon Pudding from Weelicious

Coming up with simple snack recipes is something of an obsession for me. I often find myself thinking about what I can offer my kids after school that is healthy, but still feels like a treat for them. My seemingly never ending musings on the subject ultimately inspired my monthly "Snack Mom" column in Parents Magazine.

I made vanilla pudding out of a box for years until I realized a) what was in most boxed brands and b) just how simple it is to make homemade. After years of playing around with my recipe I ended up with this luscious version made with vanilla and cinnamon. I promise that it will totally knock your socks off.

By the way, have you ever watched how people eat pudding? Everyone seems to have their own creative way of going about it. My kids certainly do. While Kenya tends to just shovel his in, Chloe takes dainty bites, managing to stretch one bowl into a 20-minute spoon-licking experience.

The best part about this recipe is that I can fill a bunch of ramekins to the brim with pudding and keep them covered in the fridge for days to have on hand for a last minute snack.

Vanilla Cinnamon Pudding from Weelicious

Vanilla Cinnamon Pudding  (makes 2 cups )

• 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups low fat milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. 1. In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt. Gradually whisk in the milk. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. The milk will foam and thicken slightly.
  2. 2. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
  3. 3. Pour into individual serving bowls, and chill at least 30 minutes.
  4. Note: To prevent a skin from forming place parchment paper or plastic wrap directly on top of the pudding so it is touching the surface.
Vanilla Cinnamon Pudding

Comments

1. Pingback: Important Websites for Expecting Parents

2. Pingback: 5 Snack Recipes That Are Better Homemade - Savvy Sassy Moms

3. Beth1723

July 21, 2014 at 7:03 pm

This was really good! I enjoyed it, and my 16-month old kept asking me for more….Hooray! I didn’t have the heat up high enough on the stove at first, so it wasn’t thickening. The stove really does need to be on “medium” heat, not a couple clicks below “medium!” Once I increased the heat a bit, it thickened right up and turned out great! The second time I made this, I omitted the cinnamon and added in about a teaspoon of chocolate flavoring. My little guy gave a positive review of that version, too!

4. Lindsey

June 17, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I added our day old rice to it. Rice pudding ! So good . Thanks

5. Savannah

March 17, 2014 at 2:43 pm

The first time I made this I used the 1/2 tsp salt like it said and it was way too salty even for a salt lover like myself. The second time I only used 1/4 tsp and it was delicious.

6. Sara Raber

February 28, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Catherine-this came out great and both my 3 year old and husband loved it! Any thoughts on how to make a chocolate or butterscotch version….just thinking of our fave pudding flavors :)
    Thanks!

7. Swantje

February 28, 2014 at 3:02 am

The best Pudding ever!!!!!!

8. HeatherChristo

February 26, 2014 at 8:04 am

This looks great Catherine! I wonder what would happen if I tried to make it with Almond milk?

9. Tamara

February 25, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Can honey be used instead of sugar?

10. Gina

February 25, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Arrowroot is a great grain-free substitute for corn starch

11. Cinnamon Vogue

February 25, 2014 at 11:22 am

Can replace the cornstarch with something else? I am a little vary of cornstarch. Like somebody else said isn’t corn starch like highly processed and bad for you?

12. janelle

February 25, 2014 at 9:59 am

Making this for an after nap snack right now!!

13. Sara

February 25, 2014 at 9:53 am

This recipe did not work for me. It was still in liquid form after refrigeration. I used coconut palm sugar instead. Followed instructions exactly. Not sure what happened :/

• Tiffany

April 8, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I haven’t tried this recipe yet but I’ve tried the chocolate one from the lunches book and it only set up 1 of the 4 times I’ve tried it. It foams and thickens slightly in the pan but then stays liquid in the fridge. What is going wrong? Do I need to cook it longer?

• April Amiel

March 1, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Same thing happened to me. Tasty but liquidy. What happened??? I followed directions exactly. Perhaps directions should have said to bring to a simmer, then cook for 5 minutes?

• Christina

March 1, 2014 at 4:07 pm

It also stayed liquid for me. 2nd attempt I carefully measured the cornstarch (I eyed it the first time and it may not have been enough). After adding the milk I put down the whisk and picked up a small rubber spatula and stirred leisurely (I basically whisked it for 5 minutes the first time). The pudding really thickens on the stove so it’s not really liquid by the time you put it in your ramekin. 2nd attempt is a winner! Hope this helps!

• Catherine McCord

February 25, 2014 at 11:32 am

What kind of milk did you use? Did it thicken while it was on the stove?

• nbarros

March 1, 2014 at 5:27 pm

This didn’t work for me either and made quite a mess in my fridge.. I used 2% milk – is that the problem?

14. Katie

February 25, 2014 at 9:34 am

I grew up on boxed pudding too….homemade is so much better. Love the addition of cinnamon.

15. Meghna

February 25, 2014 at 8:44 am

So easy. Actually, I converted this recipe into a Paleo, dairy-free, nut free, basically allergy free, version by just changing the milk to canned coconut milk and the cornstarch to tapioca starch and the refined sugar to coconut palm sugar. Otherwise, kept all measurements exactly as Catherine wrote in her recipe. The results are fantastic! Now my husband and I can indulge with our kiddos! Also, it came out so good, that I quickly made 2 more batches, but this time, I changed out the flavors. One batch I made with a traditional Indian dessert flavoring. Instead of cinnamon and vanilla, I added 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom powder and a pinch of saffron, gently crushed between fingers. In the other batch, I added a 1/4 cup pureed fresh mango at the end, after turning off the heat, for a mango pudding flavor. Ah-Maze-Ing!!!!!

• April Amiel

March 1, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Sugar is sugar.

• Andrea

February 25, 2014 at 9:01 am

Is tapioca starch the same thing as tapioca flour?

• Meghna

February 25, 2014 at 9:06 am

No tapioca starch is a replacement for cornstarch made of the cassava/tapioca plant. It can be substituted in all recipes that call for cornstarch.

• Meghna

February 25, 2014 at 9:07 am

So, to clarify my answer. Tapioca starch and tapioca flour are 2 different products made from the cassava plant.

16. Sonja

February 25, 2014 at 8:37 am

Yes, whole milk will work. It’ll be creamier. Young children need the fat and should have whole milk. Helps their brains develop. It’s us older folks that need to cut down on the fat a bit.

17. Tamara

February 24, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I only buy whole milk, would that work?

18. Dailyn

February 24, 2014 at 10:28 am

Love simple recipes! Can’t wait to make it for my twins. Your website is awesome!

19. Rebecca

February 24, 2014 at 9:44 am

This sounds delicious. I can’t wait to try it. Can you also give us some advice on making alternate flavors? Thanks for all you do!

20. Andrea

February 24, 2014 at 9:21 am

Hi what kind of cornstarch do you use? Is it organic or is there an alternative? This sounds so good, but isnt cornstarch very processed with high calories and no nutrtional value?

21. Kelly

February 24, 2014 at 9:19 am

In South Africa we make this into a pie called milktart! It’s delicious!

22. Julie

February 24, 2014 at 9:17 am

Would this work with soymilk or other non-dairy milk?

• leilei P

February 24, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I was also wondering if I could use almond or coconut milk. thanks.

• amanda

February 24, 2014 at 1:25 pm

i was also wondering if it would work with soy or almond milk…anyone ever try it?

• Elissa

March 3, 2014 at 4:04 pm

I made this for the second time today and used unsweetened almond milk. It came out delicious!

Both times I made this it didn’t take the whole 5 minutes to thicken. The first time I kept stirring on the stove and the bottom burned and it came out a little gelatinous. Today I took it off the burner as soon as it started to thicken and it had a much better consistency.

I’d still love tips on a chocolate version. I make a chocolate chia pudding for me but the kids won’t eat chia seeds.