When I was a kid and went out to dinner with my family, few things made me feel as grown up as getting to order a Shirley Temple. Made from ginger ale, grenadine syrup, a bit of OJ and topped off with a maraschino cherry, this drink was the most special of special treats to me.
When we went on vacation this summer, I would occasionally make my kids (and me and hubby) special cocktails to cap off a long day of play. Using just a bit of juice, some cut up fresh fruit and sparking water — and a fun straw or umbrella — it was something the kids looked forward to every day and it was so cute to watch them sit there each evening holding their pretty drinks and feeling grown up.
This virgin sangria is my take on the beloved Shirley Temple of my youth, but without all the sugar and high fructose corn syrup from the soda and grenadine. And when you get into the fall and winter months and you want to pretend you’re on vacation even though you can’t get away, just substitute any of your favorite seasonal fruits to make a yer round refreshing cocktail that everyone in the family can enjoy.
- 1 Peach, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 Cup Strawberries, stems removed and quartered
- 1 Lemon, halved & sliced
- 2 Cups Cranberry and/or Orange Juice
- 2 Cups Sparkling Water or Club Soda
- Place the first 4 ingredients in a pitcher and chill in the fridge for one hour.
- When ready to serve, stir in 2 cups of sparkling water.