Slow Cooker Chicken Chili is comfort food to the nth degree! There’s nothing better than a big bowl of chili that basically cooks itself.
Who’s getting into soup mode? I know I am! Once fall hits, I’m pulling out my crockpots and making soup and chili several times a week. There’s nothing quite like a big bowl of soup to warm you up from the inside out! This Slow Cooker Chicken Chili is super filling and delicious and practically makes itself! It’s a super easy weeknight meal to whip together for the whole family.
I love a big heaping bowl of chili topped with cheese, a dollop of sour cream and whatever other toppings I feel like adding in the moment. This chicken chili recipe is one of my go-to’s all winter, but it makes a very special appearance every year when we watch the Super Bowl. Whenever someone brings up the Super Bowl I immediately think back to growing up and that Sunday of all Sundays: the palpable excitement amongst all the sports lovers in my home, lots of yummy food everywhere, and the added promise of excellent commercials for hours to come. With that said, whether it’s Super Bowl Sunday or just a night at home with the family, this Slow Cooker Chicken Chili should be in your rotation.
Like I said, my slow cooker puts in a lot of work during the fall and winter months. I love being able to pop a bunch of ingredients into the pot and letting it do its thing. You can make so many recipes in your slow cooker that you might not have thought about before. Ever had Slow Cooker Lasagna? What about my Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup or Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls? If not, definitely give them a try!
Chili is the kind of hearty dish that fits the winter potluck bill. It’s seriously simple to make and feeds a big crowd. This recipe is also actually really healthy, so you might as well double it to make sure you’ve got plenty to go around. Just put the entire recipe in a zipper bag, freeze and when you’re ready to cook cut open the bag and place everything right into your slow cooker. It really is THAT easy.
So whether you are cheering on your favorite team in the Super Bowl or just simply wanting a hearty meal to feed your family, this Slow Cooker Chicken Chili is sure to please everyone!
Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
- 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 large)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce, unseasoned
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- sour cream
- Place all of the ingredients except the sour cream in a 4 quart or larger slow cooker, stir to combine and cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker when chili is finished and use 2 forks to shred into bite size pieces.
- Serve chili topped with sour cream.
- optional toppings: grated cheddar cheese, plain greek yogurt, chopped cilantro, pickled jalapeños, avocado slices
- * To prep and freeze: Place all the ingredients in a gallon-sized zippered freezer bag, seal the bag, and mix everything together by pressing on the outside of the bag with your hands. Label the chili and freeze until ready to use, up to 4 months. When ready, place the frozen mixture into the crock pot and set the heat according to directions in step 1-3.