Fruit and Vegetable Teethers

Fruit and Vegetable Teethers

dehydrated-fruits-teethers.jpg

Yum

I was at my best friend Jillian's store, Maxwell Dog, when I came up with this idea. Instead of giving out dog biscuits to visiting "customers," they give them dehydrated sweet potatoes to gnaw on. She gave one to Kenya and he spent a good hour teething on it. He loved it and I knew somehow it comforted him.
I do realize that most people don't have dehydrators, so if you don't you can try this on the lowest setting of your oven, but it won't be exactly the same.
I put every fruit and vegetable I could find in it over night. It was like a science project. Let me tell you, though, avocados are down right nasty dehydrated. On the other hand kiwis and cucumbers were delicious. Below is a list of my favorite, but feel free to try different produce to see what your little angel will love.
I cut everything lengthwise so baby had a big piece to gnaw on for a long time.

Fruit and Vegetable Teethers

• bananas
  • kiwis
  • strawberries
  • watermelon
  • sweet potatoes
  • cucumbers

1. 1. Set dehydrator to 135 degrees.
  2. 2. Slice fruit and vegetables into slices about 1/8 inch thick or smaller, lengthwise.
  3. 3. Place on trays and put into dehydrator (cooking time will vary, so check the dehydrator every few hours).
Fruit and Vegetable Teethers

Comments

1. Kristin

October 3, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I tried to dehydrate some really good home grown sweet potatoes and they tasted like cardboard. Do you cook yours first?

2. Pingback: Baby Puppies

3. Homemade Puppy Food has great puppy recipes

November 6, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Nice post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I’m impressed! Extremely useful information particularly the ultimate section :) I take care of such info a lot. I was looking for this certain info for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

4. Homemade puppy food is cheaper and better for your dog

November 5, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I do agree with all of the concepts you have presented for your post. They’re really convincing and can definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are too brief for starters. Could you please prolong them a bit from next time? Thanks for the post.

5. Casey

January 21, 2011 at 2:11 pm

We have tried drying bananas before in our dehydrator but after DAYS in there they are still sticky and not entirely dry, but we did raisins and they turned to little stones. any ideas? Ours is pretty basic, you just plug it in, no temp settings or anything.

6. Kyla

October 26, 2010 at 8:07 am

What should the texture be like when they are finished? mainly the bananas and kiwi… I did mine, and they are hard but still flexable.

7. Michelle

November 23, 2009 at 12:05 am

What age would you suggest this for? My son is just 6 months… would this be okay for him? I love the idea! I’m always looking for safe teethers for him.

8. Pingback: My Little Buddha » Archive » DIY Dried Fruit and Baby Teethers