I'm always on the search for new and exciting foods that little ones can eat (especially those who have few teeth). Well, hello, muffins!!! But not the kind of muffins you buy in the market that can be loaded with with pounds of butter and sugar, I'm talking about the ones that are actually moist, delicious, full of fiber, fruit and over-all goodness.
I grew up eating my grandmother's bran muffins which we're heavenly. She used to tell me they were "health food". When I recently looked at her recipe, though, I realized that a cup of sugar for 12 muffins wasn't exactly "healthy".
I filled these mini muffins with tons of bananas. The thick consistency of the bananas replaces the large amounts of butter and oil called for in most recipes.
And I switched the sugar to agave which is low on the glycemic index and means your little one won't be spinning around the room after eating one (or two, as Kenya often does).
We used these to make this recipe_
Banana Bran Muffins (Makes 24 mini muffins)
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 2 Tbsp honey or agave
- 1 Large Egg
- 3 Tbsp Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 2/3 Cup Milk*
- 3 Bananas, mashed
- 2 Cups Bran Flakes cereal
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease mini muffin tins.
2. Place the flour and baking powder in a bowl and stir to combine.
3. In a large bowl combine the wet ingredients. Whisk to throughly combine.
4. Pour the bran flakes into the wet mixture, stir and let them sit for 2 minutes to soften. Stir again, breaking them up a little.
5. Slowly pour the flour mixture into the wet mixture and whisk until all the flour is incorporated.
6. Spoon the batter 3/4 the way up each muffin cup.
7. Bake for 18 minutes.
8. Cool and serve.