Banana Bran Muffins - Weelicious

Banana Bran Muffins

banana-bran-muffins.jpg

I'm always on the search for new and exciting foods that little ones can eat (especially those who have few teeth). Well, hello, muffins!!! But not the kind of muffins you buy in the market that can be loaded with with pounds of butter and sugar, I'm talking about the ones that are actually moist, delicious, full of fiber, fruit and over-all goodness.

I grew up eating my grandmother's bran muffins which we're heavenly. She used to tell me they were "health food". When I recently looked at her recipe, though, I realized that a cup of sugar for 12 muffins wasn't exactly "healthy".

I filled these mini muffins with tons of bananas. The thick consistency of the bananas replaces the large amounts of butter and oil called for in most recipes.

And I switched the sugar to agave which is low on the glycemic index and means your little one won't be spinning around the room after eating one (or two, as Kenya often does).

We used these to make this recipe:

Banana Bran Muffins  (Makes 24 mini muffins)

• 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons honey or agave
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 3 bananas, mashed
  • 2 cups bran flakes cereal

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease mini muffin tins.
  2. 2. Place the flour and baking powder in a bowl and stir to combine.
  3. 3. In a large bowl combine the wet ingredients. Whisk to throughly combine.
  4. 4. Pour the bran flakes into the wet mixture, stir and let them sit for 2 minutes to soften. Stir again, breaking them up a little.
  5. 5. Slowly pour the flour mixture into the wet mixture and whisk until all the flour is incorporated.
  6. 6. Spoon the batter 3/4 the way up each muffin cup.
  7. 7. Bake for 18 minutes.
  8. 8. Cool and serve.
Banana Bran Muffins

Comments

1. Amelie

April 3, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I love your site and tried already a lot of your recipes – and today this one. Unfortuantely I filled the batter in muffin paper cups and now they stick to the muffins and half of it stays in the paper form. Do you have a tip how to get them out or is the batter just too sticky for paper cups?

• Amelie

May 2, 2013 at 1:35 pm

• Sugih

February 2, 2014 at 10:57 pm

My spouse and i have been rlaely fortunate that Louis managed to carry out his inquiry because of the ideas he acquired through the blog. It is now and again perplexing to just choose to be offering guidance which people today might have been selling. And we also recognize we now have the website owner to be grateful to because of that. The specific explanations you have made, the easy web site menu, the friendships your site aid to instill it is many sensational, and it’s aiding our son and our family understand that concept is thrilling, which is certainly seriously indispensable. Thanks for the whole lot!

2. Muffin Mom

March 17, 2013 at 7:22 am

Well, I just prepped the recipe with 2 cups of wheat bran and have a disaster on my hands. Could the recipe perhaps be edited to say bran flake cereal to avoid future confusion?

3. kellykatie@gmail.com

August 16, 2012 at 8:11 pm

These are fantastic!

4. Sarah

July 8, 2011 at 6:05 am

I just tried these muffins a few minutes ago. They were SOOOOO DELICIOUS!!!!!!! I was a bit worried about it at first because it felt a little rubbery when I first took them out of the oven, but when I tried it they were so moist and chewy. The only thing I tasted was BANANAS, an I do love bananas. Thank you so much for this yummy recipe, it was delicious. Can’t wait to make more

5. Sarah

July 7, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I made these today, but didn’t try them yet. I was wondering how long they will last. Any one know?

6. Julie

April 30, 2011 at 9:29 am

I made these with instant oatmeal since that was all I could find in my pantry. My first batch almost burned, took them out after 15 minutes. They were dry, but ok. I turned the oven down to 350 and baked for 15 minutes with the 2nd tray and they turned out perfect! Oh, and I added some mini chocolate chips. Mmmm.

7. Jill

April 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm

what was the decision on the bran flakes – is it really just bran flake cereal?

April 29, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Yes it is Bran flake cereal :) My grandmother used to make it like this. Also, very easy to get hold of in the grocery :)

8. Jenn

April 27, 2011 at 10:50 am

I think 2 cups of “natural bran flakes” would suck up too much moisture and make these dry?

9. Nicole

April 26, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I subbed ground oatmeal in place of the bran flakes since I didn’t have any on hand. They turned out delicious.

10. Jenn

April 26, 2011 at 11:44 am

Is this 2 cups of Kellogs All Bran Flakes? Or do you mean wheat bran flakes (like wheat germ flakes)

Have 3 ripe bananas to use up!

11. Kelsey

April 26, 2011 at 10:55 am

I don’t think she means the cereal flakes… Do you? I know you can buy bran flakes for baking in the bulk foods area of Raleys. Is that what you’re talking about?

12. AmyJ

April 26, 2011 at 10:33 am

Any thoughts on a sub for bran flakes? We don’t buy processed cereals of any kind, regardless of the sugar content or whole grain content.

13. Karen

April 26, 2011 at 10:19 am

Have you made these as regular sized muffins? I don’t have a mini muffin pan and am wondering what changes I would need to make.

14. Jackie

April 26, 2011 at 10:17 am

do you just add the bran flakes? or do you need to crush them?
    thanks!

15. FeFe

March 10, 2011 at 9:38 am

these muffins are soo good! thank you for sharing such an easy and yummy recipe.
    what would happen if I add sunflower seeds and dried cranberries instead of bananas?

16. Angelyn Reier

December 13, 2010 at 2:27 am

hi there, I think your review site is awesome. But may i know how am I going to contact you personally because i think this is a good post? Thanks for your own respond ahead.

17. Tanya

October 12, 2010 at 10:18 am

What are substitutes for Agave?? And can it be substituted in any recipe ?

October 12, 2010 at 2:09 pm

You can use Honey for agave in any recipe :)

18. babyletsshop

January 16, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Do you think I could sub the bran flakes for rolled oats? I don’t have bran flakes right now. Also I would LOVE to see more muffin recipes. My son LOVES muffins and I am thrilled that your recipes don’t contain a ton of sugar.

19. ~michele

August 11, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Hi! I just found your site via a link in a CafeMom group thread and I LOVE it! I’m overwhelmed by all the recipes and very excited to get to trying them.
    I’m impressed that you have the time to do all this and am looking foward to utilizing the site often :)