Stuffing is one of those Thanksgiving foods that I've found you don't have to twist a kid's arm to eat. I mean come on, the base of it is bread!
This recipe is sweet, savory and truly delicious. There are tons of variations on the ingredients you can put in your stuffing. Cornbread, wheat or white bread, fruits, vegetables, herbs, the list goes on...But the mixture of ingredients in this apple sausage stuffing is truly geared for little ones taste buds (and secretly mine, too!).
Kids Apple Sausage Stuffing (Makes 8-10 Servings)
- 3/4 Pound Bread Cubes (I use 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white bread cubes, but you can also buy other types of bread cubes that are already dried out and skip step 1).
- 3 Chicken Apple Sausage Links (or 1/2 pound ground sausage)
- 2 Tsp oil
- 2 Tbsp Butter plus more for greasing
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped (gala, fuji, or golden delicious)
- 2 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme, chopped
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 Cups Chicken Stock
1. Toast bread cubes in a 300 degree oven for 8-10 minutes.
2. Turn the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
3. If using sausage links, remove casings.
4. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large saute pan over medium heat and cook sausage for 3-5 minutes or until cooked through. Remove to a plate.
5. Heat butter in the saute pan over medium heat and cook the apples, celery, onion, thyme and salt for 6-8 minutes until soft and tender.
6. Place the bread cubes in a bowl with the sausage, vegetables, eggs and chicken stock. Combine thoroughly.
7. Grease a 11 x 7 baking dish. Place the stuffing mixture in the dish.
8. Bake for 40 minutes.