Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins - Weelicious

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

lemon-poppy-seed-muffins.jpg

Yum

Lately, Kenya has been going through a big muffin phase (or rather mommy has been going through a big testing spree making muffins and there's not much else for Kenya to eat!). Growing up, my mother used to make us blueberry muffins for breakfast and I always remember them being warm, soft and delicious. A very comforting way to start the day. The only problem with most muffin recipes is that they're loaded with sugar and some can be as heavy as hockey pucks.

These sweet lemon poppy seed muffins are so light and airy, you'll want to sit around and eat them all day (as Kenya likes to demonstrate when I make them!) One more reason to love poppy seeds, aside from their flavor, is their extensive quantities of calcium and high percentage of protein. Who knew those little black seeds were so packed with nutrients?

These little morsels are the perfect treat for breakfast, lunch box snacks or even dessert!

We used these to make this recipe:

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins  (makes 12 muffins)

• 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar
  • 3/4 cup rice, almond, low fat or whole milk
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. 2. Grease a muffin tin or line tins with cupcake papers.
  3. 3. Sift the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl and whisk to mix.
  4. 4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs, agave nectar, milk, and lemon juice, poppy seeds, and lemon zest.
  5. 5. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and mix until the batter is smooth making sure not to over mix.
  6. 6. Pour the batter into 12 muffin cups, dividing evenly. Bake on a center rack of the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

Comments

1. Amy

July 7, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I was going to make these, but then I was afraid of giving poppy seeds to my 14 month old. Should I be concerned about that? Thanks!

July 9, 2012 at 11:24 am

After 1 year you can start giving your baby a lot more foods. Of course, always consult your pediatrician and watch for signs of allergic reactions. If there isn’t a history or poppy seed allergy in your family they should be fine.

2. gayu

January 8, 2012 at 2:12 am

i made this cake with few low fat subs and it turned out delicious! i used quarter cup applesauce and quarter cup butter, and 110 ml egg whites (equivalent liquid of 2 eggs). i poured a lemon glaze at the end, which gave the cake a sweet and tangy kick. overall, very light in calories, yet awesome texture and flavour. thanks for the recipe, my husband and i loved them!!

3. Nathalie

June 18, 2011 at 10:58 am

What is the calorie count for these regular size muffins? They are great!

• JessicaR

August 27, 2011 at 8:25 am

Nathalie, http://www.food.com is a site where you can enter your own recipes and it’ll give a calorie count. You could try plugging the ingredients in there, the serving size (12 for regular muffins or how ever mini muffins it makes) and it’ll tell you how many calories are in each muffin/serving!

4. Gray

April 10, 2011 at 10:23 am

If I use a mini muffin pan do I still cook the muffins for 25-30 min?

• JessicaR

August 27, 2011 at 8:23 am

I would think that the smaller muffins would need a shorter cook time. Maybe start checking it at about 15 or 20 minutes and then just keep a close eye on them to see what works best for you, your mini muffins and your oven!

5. Daiga

February 8, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I am out of the Agave. If I use honey will the amount still be half a cup?

• JessicaR

August 27, 2011 at 8:21 am

From comments on other recipes I’ve seen, it sounds like you can use honey and agave interchangeably.

6. terra

January 24, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I tried the half oil/apple sauce route. But, these were beyond horrible. I followed the directions completely from there on out. I even tried topping these with a lemon juice/confection sugar glase. It was of no help. They ended in the trash can.

• JessicaR

August 27, 2011 at 8:20 am

I would think that the applesauce would change the taste and texture/consistency and depending on what type of oil you used, I would think that that could affect taste as well. Maybe you could use lemon flavored yogurt?

7. Abbey

October 1, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Could I use apple sauce or oil instead or butter? Which one would u think would taste better or any other suggestions? They look delicious though and I love ur site!!

• JessicaR

August 27, 2011 at 8:18 am

I would think that apple sauce might change the texture of the batter/muffins (which was incredibly light, airy and silky!) so perhaps an oil? Or maybe some non-dairy butter if that’s the issue? And depending on how lemon-y you wanted the muffins, I wonder if you couldn’t use a tub of lemon flavored yogurt?

8. Pingback: Hug This Lemon Tree