Red Beet & White Bean Hummus

red-beet-white-bean-hummus.jpg

When I first made this recipe for Kenya he was as fascinated by the taste as he was by the color. He kept saying "pink food!" as he ate bowl after bowl. The ingredients are almost identical to a true hummus, minus the tahini, and the addition of the beets make it a nutrient-rich dish that also provides a healthy amount of protein.

The flavor and smooth and creamy texture of this puree is so delicious I think you'll find it to be a hit with kids of any age in your house. Kenya loves eating things he can dip, so when I put this on his plate he likes to use the hummus as a dip and everything from vegetables to chicken gets put into it. Now that I have a little girl, I can't wait until I can make this for her birthday party. Pink food -- every little girls dream!

We used these to make this recipe:

Red Beet & White Bean Hummus  (Makes 3 Cups)

I can't even begin to tell you how gorgeous this dish came out -- well, I don't have to tell you. Just watch last Friday's video and see for yourself! When I first made this recipe for Kenya he was as fascinated by the taste as he was by the color....

• 1 medium beet
  • 1 15 oz can white beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 large garlic clove, unpeeled
  • juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1/2 tbsp)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. 2. Wash beet well and place with garlic clove on a sheet of foil. Bring up sides of foil and fold to make a packet leaving room for heat to circulate inside the packet containing the beet and garlic.
  3. 3. Bake for 45 minutes or until beet is tender when poked with a knife.
  4. 4. Remove skin off of the garlic and the beet (I use a zip lock bag on my hand and slip the skin off so my hand doesn’t turn red).
  5. 5. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth.
Red Beet & White Bean Hummus

Comments

1. Drina

July 6, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Hi, I made this with cannelini beans. Is it meant to be with chickpeas? I just went along with white beans(which I always consider to be cannelini) even though it’s called a hummus. Btw, great site. Thanks.

• Catherine McCord

July 7, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I use cannellini or great northern beans! I will always call them chickpeas or garbanzo beans when that’s what I use. :)

• Drina

July 8, 2014 at 6:44 pm

That’s great. Thanks. Even my mother can’t believe my 18mo old loves this. Good work;)

2. Westcoast Momma

May 21, 2014 at 8:25 pm

I just made this for the first time and it tasted so good that I ended up having it for supper on corn tortillas with some crumbled feta, spinach and avocado. Delicious and so colourful!

3. Pingback: Sandwiches: Because Mommy Needs to Eat Too, or She Will Die

4. Pingback: Roasted Beet Salad with Garlic Vinaigrette | Dishin & Dishes

5. Jennifer

October 28, 2013 at 10:23 am

I love this hummus! I was wondering how much a single serving is? I see it’s blank under the nutritional information. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

6. Yvonne Bennett

September 12, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Just made the beautiful dip and I think 1 tsp of salt is too much. I would try half next time.

7. Pingback: BEET GREENS WITH BALSAMIC GLAZED BEETS | napa farmhouse 1885

8. Pingback: Summer Fest: 4 Beet Salad Best Bets | Cooking Bookmarks

9. Jeanette

September 4, 2013 at 6:11 pm

What a beautiful hue beets add to this hummus!

10. Pingback: rosé salad – a summer dish crafted to complement chilled dry rosé • Taste With The Eyes • where the image is meant to titillate and inspire the cook

11. Pingback: Star Anise Ginger Pickled Beets Recipe {+ Kimchi Pickled Beets} - Jeanette's Healthy Living

12. maureen

August 28, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Is it okay to substitude chick peas/garbanzo beans? I make 5 minute hummus and the family loves it but beets are a hard sell. Would love to marry the two and see what happens. It’s so pretty! :)

13. Khara

June 30, 2013 at 6:46 pm

I just made this and I want to eat it all! I’m serving it at a 4th of July party this week with veggies and some blue tortilla chips (to get the red & blue effect). I don’t miss the tahini at all! I did zest the 1/2 lemon before juicing it, but other than that I made it to the recipe. LOVE it!!

14. Me

June 30, 2013 at 12:37 pm

me

15. heather

June 19, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I made this recipe tonight and my 20 month old LOVES it! I wish I could upload a picture of him right now….he is dipping his marinated chicken strips and spinach in it. His face is COVERED in the dip. This recipe is so delicious and EASY! Thank you!

June 19, 2013 at 7:27 pm

hahaha so CUTE!

16. Heather

March 30, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Ooh I LOVE the color!! Would it be ok to leave the lemon juice out? I have to avoid citrus ;/

April 1, 2013 at 10:20 am

That should be fine. It adds flavor and brightens the whole dish.

17. cnafis

March 21, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I love this recipe! I also love that it doesn’t use tahini because I am allergic. Any suggestions for a tahini substitute in your other recipes? Roasted garlic? P.S. I’m recently obsessed with your website and just bought your book. I have an 11 MO and am so excited about bringing him up to love a variety of healthy foods with your help!

March 22, 2013 at 10:50 am

Many people use peanut butter as a tahini substitute and love it!

• cnafis

March 22, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Interesting. Thank you! I’ll give it a try!!

18. Jessica

January 27, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Made it today, looks amazing and tastes delicious. I don’t think I will win over my 7 year old just yet, but maybe if I make it a few more times :). My 2 year old likes hummus, so I think she is going to like it!

19. Pingback: Thankful for Grace [Real Food]

20. Pingback: Snack Week | Eating Together

21. Amy

August 25, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I make a similar “hummus” without the fattening tahini but use drained, canned plain artichoke hearts and drained and rinsed canned garbanzo beans in the food processor. So good! You won’t miss the tahini!

22. Pingback: Pita Bread « Cooking College Chick

23. Lisa

June 14, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I made this for a snack today for me and my two young girls. They were squealing with delight as the food processor turned all the ingredients into a fantastic pink color! But trying a bite…. hold the phone! Not so fast Mom! They did end of trying a bite, but didn’t eat more. boo… I adored this hummus and will make it again. It’s also one of my favorite colors. :-)

24. catherine

June 11, 2012 at 3:34 pm

This will keep about five days in the refrigerator, and yes it can be frozen!

25. Chris B

June 10, 2012 at 10:45 pm

How long will this hummus keep in the refrigerator? Can I freeze it?

26. Julie

February 28, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Wow, that’s way too much salt!

27. Pingback: raw living

28. house cleaning Orlando

January 30, 2012 at 9:04 am

You really make it seem really easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something that I think I would by no means understand. It kind of feels too complicated and very wide for me. I’m looking ahead for your subsequent put up, I will attempt to get the grasp of it!

29. ice hockey goal

November 26, 2011 at 6:36 am

I think this is one of the most vital info for me. And i’m satisfied reading your article. But wanna commentary on some general things, The site style is ideal, the articles is actually excellent : D. Excellent job, cheers

30. Pingback: online,magazines publishing

31. Pingback: carpet cleaning franchise, duct cleaning franchise, small business opportunity

32. meredith

August 19, 2011 at 4:35 pm

this was the first weelicious recipe i did not care for :( it was a very pretty color and very easy to make, however, the flavor just did not work for me.

33. Pingback: Actual Food for a Kid’s Birthday Party | Red, Round, or Green

34. Lori

July 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I am linking this recipe to my blog. This is awesome. Of course, my children wouldn’t eat it. We will continue trying, though, since we are doing lots of new things right now. Thank you for sharing this.
    Lori @ Food In The World Of YES

35. LAS'smom

July 15, 2011 at 3:54 pm

would other beans work? I’ve got a bunch of canned garbanzos that hubby rejects…

36. esophian

March 17, 2011 at 5:09 pm

My 1-yr-old just became a selective eater, typically chewing on stuff and spitting it out and refusing to be fed. I made this for him hoping that the color would attract him, and had low hopes. I gave him some veggie sticks to use for dipping, and lo and behold! He didn’t eat the veggie sticks but he did suck the hummus off of them, thereby eating something healthy! I was delighted. I used pinto beans because I didn’t have white beans on hand, but it still came out delightfully pink. thank you for a lovely idea!

37. akmum

March 7, 2011 at 3:07 am

I made this for a baby shower this weekend, for a friend expecting a girl. LOVED it! IT was so delish! I will be a common treat in our house :D

38. Margaret

February 20, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I just made this for the first time tonight- we love it! Thanks so much!

39. sara

February 7, 2011 at 3:38 pm

why do you bake the beet instead of cooking it?
    Is it healthier that way?

• Laura J

September 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Baking or roasting is cooking. :-) It retains more nutrients and results in a sweeter beet than boiling or steaming.

40. Pingback: Hot Mama of the Week: Catherine McCord | Hot and Healthy Mom

41. Jessica

February 6, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but that stinkin’ beet has been baking for over an hour and I can’t even stick a fork in it.

42. English

November 1, 2010 at 11:58 am

Delish! Thanks SO much for sharing!

43. Sarah

October 29, 2010 at 8:25 pm

This is so good! I can’t stop eating it!!! I might use a little less salt next time, but still, it’s really delicious. I kept wanting to add more beets to get the beet flavor but had to hold off so dear daughter will want to try it. Hope she likes it.

44. Lianne

October 18, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I love this hummus! I doubled the beans and added about 3 more roasted garlic cloves. It is delicious!

45. Bethany

June 24, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I’ve had canned beets in my pantry for some time now, so I figured I’d give them a try in order to use ‘em up! Of course the hummus didn’t have the same vibrance (or health factor) as it would using fresh beets, but was still kid approved just the same! I will NEVER use canned again for this recipe, but at least what I had didn’t go to waste. Thanks for all the great recipes!!

46. Jenna

June 10, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I’m throwing a pink party for my daughter’s 1st birthday and I just might have to try this out! I’ve been racking my brain trying to find good pink food to serve!

47. Emily

May 24, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Just wanted to say this was a great healthy addition to our Pinkalicious Party. Definitely very PINK and tasty!

48. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday | Life Without Pink...

49. Mary

January 20, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Why ommit the Tahini? Is it more fattening? Unhealthy?

50. Pingback: The 11 Best Foods You Probably Aren’t Eating | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food and recipes for the entire family!

51. Pingback: Weelicious Best of 2009: Day Three | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food and recipes for the entire family!

52. Vege

October 29, 2009 at 6:08 pm

not only healthy, but looks very colorful! :) Thank you for receipt.
    bye, chris

53. Pingback: One Family. One Meal. | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food and recipes for the entire family!

54. Pingback: Beet, Beet… « Our Ohana

55. Pingback: Back-To-School Lunch Ideas | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food (and now for big kids too!)

56. Pingback: … And Another! « Drink of Water