Garbanzo Burgers

If there is a burger that exists that Kenya doesn't like, I've never seen it. Meat, veggie, turkey, salmon....whatever. So, I figured, why not try a garbanzo burger? They're packed with protein, low in fat and high in dietary fiber, so they're a great addition to anyone's diet. Even better, these burgers cost very little to make (especially when you compare it to buying meat), freeze beautifully (so you can make them and keep them on hand for whenever your crew feels like burgers) and make everyone smile when they take a bite!

Garbanzo Burgers  (makes 9 patties)

• 1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 small carrot, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup bread crumbs (i used whole grain)
  • 2 teaspoons sesame seeds (i used toasted sesame seeds)
  • 1 tablespoon oil

1. 1. Place the first 6 ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined.
  2. 2. Place garbanzo bean mixture in a bowl and combine with the bread crumbs and sesame seeds.
  3. 3. Place 1/4 cup of mixture in your hands and form into patties (I used an ice cream scooper to portion the patties-mixture will be moist).
  4. 4. Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat.
  5. 5. Cook the patties for 5 minutes.
  6. 6. Turn the patties, reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes.
  8. *You can place these on buns, although I served them with a slice of avocado on top and dipped them in lemon yogurt sauce.
  9. To Freeze: After step 3, place patties on a sheet tray and freeze for 30 minutes. Then transfer to a ziploc bag, label and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, defrost in fridge for 24 hours then follow steps 4-7.
Garbanzo Burgers

Comments

1. mandy s.

August 12, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I love to make a version of these that I also put cooked lentils into and some shredded veg. They always come out crisp on the outside and soft in the middle. Great finger food and even good for lunch.

2. knittybits

June 12, 2014 at 10:30 pm

I gobbled these up and my kids enjoyed them too! I put mine in whole wheat pita bread with yogurt, lettuce, and avocado. I doubled the recipe and used ground up oatmeal instead of the bread crumbs. The mixture was super soggy, so I added some Italian herb blend bread crumbs until they were ready for the pat down! We had tons for dinner and lunch tomorrow and I even froze some. YUM!

3. Pingback: Chickpea Patties with Lemon Yogurt Sauce | Baker's Blender

4. Pingback: Cooking for a Modern Family, Mission Possible: Guest Post | Feta & Arepa

5. Katie

April 29, 2013 at 7:18 pm

My 14 month old loves these burgers. Can they be frozen after they are cooked instead of before? Thanks!

April 30, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I haven’t tried that, but it should be okay!

6. Lisa

January 14, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Hi Catherine,

Could I possibly bake these, do you know? Thanks!

January 15, 2013 at 11:53 am

I haven’t tried that, but I think it would work!

7. Catherine

November 7, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I just made these. I used onion powder in place of onions. I added italian herb blend and used plain old store bought breadcrumbs. I didn’t have sesame seeds so I omitted them. I also used an icecream scooper and this was super easy to form the patties and make sure they are all uniform. I got 9 patties out of this recipe. I will be making these again.

8. Yvonne

August 2, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Mine turned out to be more like pancakes, but I think it is because I had to use gluten free breadcrumbs. I think I will try quinoa or oats next time. They still taste yummy and my daughter loves them.

9. catherine

May 29, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Nope! No need for extra work. :)

10. jkdm81

May 29, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Do I need to remove the outer shells from the beans?

11. jzakin

February 20, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I made these. Tasted delicious!!! But the patties did not hold together well. They broke apart. What did I do wrong?

• Hanna Katz

June 11, 2013 at 6:53 pm

the same thing happened to me\
      I put some flour at the end of the batch and it helped.

February 20, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Hmmm that’s so strange. The eggs and breadcrumbs are there to hold them together! Make sure you use the full amounts of each and maybe just press them together a little tighter next time? I hope you get better results in the future!!

12. jellyjello

August 4, 2011 at 8:01 pm

dinner tonight and soo good! my 13month old is a happy camper and so are her parents =)

13. Carissa McCabe

May 17, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I made this tonight and my son (who will be one next week) gobbled up two whole patties and was signing for MORE! He loved dipping into the yogurt sauce. My husband and I loved it, too! We’ll be making this again. Thanks!

14. sonal