Turkey Zucchini Burgers are a tasty solution for parents seeking both nutrition and taste in their family’s meals! These scrumptious patties combine the goodness of lean turkey with the “sneaky” inclusion of zucchini, making them a hit with kids and adults alike.
One of my greatest joys has been collecting cookbooks since I was little girl. One might call this more of an obsession than a collection, but as the years have gone on and my space has become more limited (basically being taken over for kids literature then anything else) I’ve had to cut back a bit. Last year I donated about 100 cookbooks to our local library and spent countless hours reading other favorites snd going through countless post it’s to save favorite recipes and reminders of others I really wanted to try to play with for our family and create to appear on Weelicious.
Sometimes the recipes I make for our family are totally original and other times they’re inspired by other cookbooks like this one, Jerusalem by Ottolenghi. He’s one of my culinary idols and a must own if you love fresh foods with tons of flavor! I tweaked this a bit to make it our own and I can’t tell you just how much we all love them! I’m telling you, these Zucchini Turkey Burgers with Yogurt Sumac Sauce are a game changer! You can plop them in buns or if you’re following a gluten free diet they’re still amazing on their own topped with this Yogurt Sumac Sauce.
The zucchini gives these burgers a little extra texture and moistness while plumping them up with a vegetable for those kids who have an aversion to zucchini. If you’ve got tons of zucchini growing in your garden you need to make these beauties! They’re the perfect summertime meal to get you excited for the season no matter where your inspiration comes from!
Photos by Matt Armendariz
Turkey Zucchini Burgers with Yogurt-Sumac Sauce
Turkey Zucchini Burgers:
- 1 pound ground turkey, light or dark meat
- 1 large zucchini, coarsely grated
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- olive oil, for greasing the pan
- 8 mini hamburger buns or 4 regular size
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large bowl combine first 9 ingredients. Mix well. With dampened hands form the mixture into burgers about 1 inch thick. You can do small slider size or regular size burgers.
- In a large saute pan or stove top grill over medium, add 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and add the burger patties. Cook burgers 3-4 minutes on each side for small slider burgers or 5-6 minutes on each side for larger burgers.
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Place the burgers on buns and top with the yogurt-sumac sauce.