Banana Corn Fritters

Since we can't always have dinner as a family, as much as we may try, breakfast is our real family meal. We try to cook something together (including Kenya) every morning before the demands of work and school begin. This fritter recipe is a great one for getting your kids involved in because they can peel and mash the bananas while you're measuring out the remaining ingredients. Within minutes you'll have golden sweet cakes that we love to top with honey. They're guaranteed to be a huge success with the entire family!

Banana Corn Fritters  (Makes 20 Fritters)

If there's one fruit that we keep in the house year round, it's bananas. Since they start to get spots and turn brown after only a few days, I'm constantly trying to come up with new recipes which use one of our favorite potassium filled fruits....

• 3/4 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3 medium bananas
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 ear of corn, kernels cut off the cob (or 1/2 cup frozen corn, defrosted)
  • canola or vegetable oil, as needed
  • honey, for serving

1. 1. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
  2. 2. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas and add the milk and egg. Whisk to combine.
  3. 3. Add the cornmeal mixture to the wet ingredients with the corn kernels and whisk until smooth.
  4. 4. Place about 1 tbsp of oil in a large sautepan over medium heat.
  5. 5. Place 2 tbsp of the banana/corn mixture in the pan to make each fritter.
  6. 6. Cook the fritters for 3 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through.
  7. 7. Drizzle with honey and serve.
  8. *Allow to cool then place in ziploc bags, label and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, place in toaster oven or oven at 300 for 10 minutes until heated through.
Banana Corn Fritters

Comments

1. Erika Rios-Lindemann

May 28, 2014 at 5:17 pm

These are so unique and yummy!

2. Pingback: Recipes for Kids: How to Make Banana Corn Fritters for Children - Weelicious - Food - Videorg.com

3. Pingback: Recipes for Kids: How to Make Banana Corn Fritters for Children – Weelicious | Bezeer CookVid

4. Kay

May 30, 2012 at 7:45 am

These were dense but tasty. I enjoyed them dipped in some PB but my son liked them plain.

5. MicIhelle

February 18, 2012 at 1:26 am

tive76, what were you doing wrong? I want to try these out.

6. tive76

September 29, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Just realized what I did wrong, so will be trying again soon.

7. tive76

September 29, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Made them this morning, very thick and heavy, added more milk, but no help. Cooked a couple to see if they would come out ok, but nope, just really heavy. Double checked that all the ingrediants were right and they were.

8. Snoopypana

August 2, 2011 at 1:11 pm

My 9yo daughter Indy & I made these this morning. They were SO delicious! We used whole what flour and topped them with agave.

• Snoopypana

August 2, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Whole wheat flour!

9. Rebeca @ The Average Parent

August 1, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Oh, these are so delicious! I made them exactly according to recipe. (with frozen corn). My boys gobbled them up like cookies (sans honey). I’m always looking for ways to add more grains and substance to my bottomless pits…I mean kids…so this is a good find!

10. Pingback: Meatless Monday: Taste of Failure | Red Pen Mama

11. Laura

June 20, 2011 at 11:49 am

Just made these for lunch today and they were sooooo good!! My 16 month old scarfed them down!

12. Theresa787

June 19, 2011 at 7:33 am

Another yummy recipe, thank you. I swapped all-purpose flour for whole wheat pastry flour, and needed to incorporate a total of five tablespoons of milk instead of two (probably because of the switch in flours). It was a very thick batter, so I spread it out a little as soon as the batter hit the pan, then I cooked the batter as I would a pancake. Thank you again.

13. Alicia

June 18, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Can these be made into muffins?

14. Katie

June 17, 2011 at 10:09 pm

These look like great finger food for my 11mo baby (minus the honey). Can I use whole wheat floor, and if so, should I make any other changes to the recipe?

15. VanessaG

June 17, 2011 at 5:59 pm

oh wow! Those look yummy! I need to try them. I LOVE all your recipes. :)

16. Nanda

June 5, 2011 at 10:38 am

I finally just made these and they seemed really dense. Anything you may have left out of the recipe, technique-wise? Did you separate the eggs or something?

17. Maria

June 4, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Great recipe! I made some as “pancakes” and some other with a pastry bag, so I could have a finger shape, for my 2 y/o to be able to dip them in honey :)

18. Chandler

May 24, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Should the corn kernels be raw or cooked?

19. michelle