If there's one fruit that we keep in the house year round, it's bananas. Since they start to get spots and turn brown after only a few days, I'm constantly trying to come up with new recipes which use one of our favorite potassium filled fruits.
Since we can't always have dinner as a family, as much as we may try, breakfast is our real family meal. We try to cook something together (including Kenya) every morning before the demands of work and school begin. This fritter recipe is a great one for getting your kids involved in because they can peel and mash the bananas while you're measuring out the remaining ingredients. Within minutes you'll have golden sweet cakes that we love to top with honey. They're guaranteed to be a huge success with the entire family!
Banana Corn Fritters (Makes 20 Fritters)
- 3/4 Cup cornmeal*
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 3 Medium Bananas
- 2 Tbsp Milk*
- 1 egg
- 1 Ear of Corn, kernels cut off the cob (or 1/2 cup frozen corn, defrosted)
- Canola or Vegetable Oil, as needed
- Honey, for serving
Preparation1. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
2. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas and add the milk and egg. Whisk to combine.
3. Add the cornmeal mixture to the wet ingredients with the corn kernels and whisk until smooth.
4. Place about 1 tbsp of oil in a large sautepan over medium heat.
5. Place 2 tbsp of the banana/corn mixture in the pan to make each fritter.
6. Cook the fritters for 3 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through.
7. Drizzle with honey and serve.
*Allow to cool then place in ziploc bags, label and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, place in toaster oven or oven at 300 for 10 minutes until heated through.