Several weeks ago I received an email from weelicious user, Katie Hamilton, kindly thanking me for our baby frittata recipe. I felt a great deal of pride reading that the only way Katie’s son would eat eggs was when she made him baby frittatas. Katie reciprocated by giving me the most genius recipe idea_ green cookies. Katie’s mother had made a them for her when she was a baby and Katie continues the tradition by making them for her son. If your toddler protests against eating greens, you have to get him to try these! I call them green treats only because I like for Kenya to associate cookies with dessert, but no matter you call them, I guarantee your family will call them delicious.
I made a dozen of these green treats when I was testing them out. I got one, Kenya had 3 and my husband polished off the rest. They're that good AND super healthy!
Green Treats (Makes 12 Patties)
- 1 Large Bunch of Swiss Chard, stems removed and chopped (spinach will also work)
- 2 Eggs, whisked
- 1 Cup White or Whole Wheat Matzo Meal (whole wheat or plain-breadcrumbs will work too)
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Oil for Cooking
Preparation1. Cook the chard in a steamer pot of boiling water for 6-8 minutes or until tender.
2. Chop the chard very fine.
3. Place all the ingredients, except the oil, in a bowl and combine thoroughly.
4. Using your hands, form into small patties.
5. Heat about 1 tbsp of oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
6. Cook the patties for 3 minutes on each side or until golden.
*After step 4, place patties on a baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes then place par-frozen patties in a ziploc bag, label and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, defrost in fridge for 24 hours and follow steps 5-7.