Roast Pear & Banana Puree - Weelicious

Roast Pear & Banana Puree

Yum

Recently, I made Baked Maple Bananas for Kenya. Everyone who tried them couldn't get over how delicious they turned out. They're intensely sweet, creamy and have a delicious caramel note to them. I felt like there were more recipes to be mined from that one. Pears are in season and abundance at our farmer’s market, so I thought I would try roasting them together with bananas to make baby food for Chloe. There's nothing wrong with pureeing ripe pears and bananas together, but when you roast them it just intensifies the flavors and texture even more.

Pears and bananas are a good source of fiber, so they'll also help to get things moving when your little one gets stopped up (TMI?)

How did it come out? Amazing! I have no other words. In fact, if you don’t believe me, check out this quick video I posted here on Twitter of Chloe taking her first bites of it. Now the hard part is trying to keep this puree away from everyone else in the family! It's so yummy, you'll want to serve it on top of yogurt or even to spread on a bagel with almond butter. It's funny how these days everyone in my family wants to eat Chloe's baby food!

Photo by Maren Caruso

Roast Pear & Banana Puree  (Makes 6 Servings)

• 2 bananas, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 2 pears, peeled and cut into wedges (i used bartlett pears)

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. 2. Place the bananas and pears on a parchment paper or Silpat lined baking sheet.
  3. 3. Roast for 25 minutes.
  4. 4. Puree until smooth.
  5. 5. Cool and serve.
Roast Pear & Banana Puree

Comments

1. Pingback: Fall Recipes for Baby

2. Alexandra

March 25, 2014 at 6:09 am

I just made this puree but I put a little milk and butter, i always do it when i make my 9-months-old son any kind of homemade purees….i loved the taste of rosted banana and pear, i hope he likes it too he will try it for dessert today…..

3. Carson

March 10, 2014 at 7:01 pm

We did baby led weaning with my 12 month old. So she only gets the same “purees” the rest of us eat (like applesauce.) But I might have to try this one for all of us for use alone, in oatmeal (a staple breakfast for my kids), and yogurt.

4. Carrie

March 3, 2014 at 7:56 pm

This is the tastiest purée ever! My 7 month old son, Oliver, LOVES it! And so do I! I’m having a hard time moving on to a new fruit because it’s that good!

5. Rachel

February 8, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Processed this with plain yogurt and a splash of maple syrup, and baby and dad love it

6. Pingback: 20 διαφορετικές συνταγές για μωρά | Eimaimama.gr

7. Pingback: Grace’s Baby Food Favorites | Plum Pie

8. heather

November 15, 2013 at 10:25 am

I do this same basic recipe with apples and bananas, but I add a little bit of butter, cinnamon and curry. The whole family loves it with yogurt, but I’ve been meaning to pair it with a savory dish….like pork tenderloin.

9. Pingback: Ovnbagt pære banan æblemos (fra 8 mdr.) | BabyKogebogen.dk

10. dawnpolk

October 28, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Wow. That is all.

11. Sarah

October 3, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Just finished the first batch of this and my kiddo loved it! Nio is 10 months old and he was very excited. It was simple. I used red pears that just came into season and they were so sweet and good.

12. Kate

September 22, 2013 at 6:16 pm

This is a great idea! My seven month old had enjoyed raw bananas, but not the pear I had poached for him. Tried this, he loved it! I baked one banana and one pear in my toaster oven, but now that I know he likes it, I’ll make a big batch and freeze some. Thanks for the great idea!

13. Karin

May 21, 2013 at 11:06 am

I’ve made this now several times. My 7 month old goes crazy over it! It’s so easy but it tastes so good. Once I did 2 apples, 2 pears, and 2 bananas and it was also terrific. Thanks for such terrific recipes!

14. Jaclyn

April 9, 2013 at 10:51 am

Wha pear can I use beside of barlett pear?

April 9, 2013 at 11:02 am

Bartlett pears hold up the best when being roasted, but you could really use any slightly underripe pear!

15. Kala Adams

December 17, 2012 at 9:53 am

Just made this for my little one yesterday and it was a HUGE hit! Even my 2 year old wanted to give it a try and she also enjoyed it! Thanks so much for doing what you do!

16. martinac57

October 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Just made this and am so excited to feed this tomorrow to my 9 month old!!! It’s delicious and so so SO easy to make!!! I am gonna try this as well with apples!!!

17. Pingback: Cookbook Crush: Weelicious | Ooh La Mom

18. Ashlee

September 20, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Hey I was wondering if you could post how old your baby should be when they indulge in these purees, smoothies, and creams. Iam a new mom and I don’t really know the rules and do and don’ts. I love your site, but I don’t know what would really be appropriate for my 6 month old baby.

September 21, 2012 at 11:58 am

Here is a great article all about starting your baby on solid foods! http://www.babycenter.com/0_introducing-solid-food_113.bc?page=1 If there are food allergies in your family, it is best to avoid those foods until Baby is 1 year old. Otherwise you can start feeding many purees when they are ready to start on solids. Just wait three days between introducing new foods so that you can pinpoint exactly what it was if your baby has an allergic reaction.

19. Melissa

March 4, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Just finished making this and can’t wait for my nine month old to try it. It is delicious!

20. Pingback: Potato Corn (& Sometimes Crab) Chowder: Comforting & Versatile | James & Jax

21. Vanessa

January 8, 2012 at 11:50 am

Made this for my 6.5month old today. She LOVED it! Thanks for sharing all of your ideas!

22. Julie

October 28, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I made this with bananas that I had frozen from a time when they were over-ripe. Turned out great. It was a little dark but tasted great. I also pureed roasted apples with the bananas. She loved it.

23. Tiffany Murphy

July 28, 2011 at 11:29 pm

This was amazing. my 9 month old literally licked the bowl clean. I haven’t tried freezing it. does it do well or does the banana change color?

24. Courtney

April 10, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Just made my husband try a sample of this and he asked me to make him some to pack in his lunch for work. Hopefully my babies like it just as much as we do!

25. Rebeca @ The Average Parent

February 22, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I love this idea. I made it tonight with Asian pears (that’s what was available at the local orchard) and added pumpkin pie spice to give it a little more flavor. Oh my, it is really tasty. If the baby doesn’t like it, I might just keep it for myself :)

26. Veronica

December 22, 2010 at 5:31 am

Yes, make sure you don’t give your baby too much banana puree. It’s indeed constipating.

27. Jen

May 23, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Absolutely delicious!!! I made this yesterday and my 8-month-old loved it and so did everyone else in the family — even Grandpa :)

28. jocelyn

February 25, 2010 at 4:57 am

My child like this very much. Can you let me know if I were to make like 250g of puree each time – how long can I keep the puree in the fridge?

How can I ensure that the frozen puree is safe to eat after 1 week, 2 week, 3 weeks? Is there any visual sign that I should look for that the puree is not contaminated and there is no bacteria growth?

May 4, 2010 at 3:48 pm

You can keep the puree in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days. You can keep it frozen for up to 4 months.

29. Trina

January 26, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Just to add to my previous comment… Pears, on the other hand, are one of the “4 P’s” that help to counteract constipation: Prunes, peaches, pears and peas. So pears and bananas should actually work really well to balance each other.

30. Trina

January 26, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Sounds delicious and easy, but I just thought I’d mention that bananas are actually considered to be a constipating food rather than one to “get things moving.” From my experience this is true.