Kale Chips

Kale Chips

kale-chips.jpg

Yum

When you're trying to inspire kids to eat healthy, my experience has been if whatever you are making for them is in the form of a chip, muffin, pancake or on-a-stick, it's usually a hit! We've been making these kale chips a lot recently and I can't tell you how fast they disappear! I truly can’t believe how tasty they are -- I know that’s a huge statement, but I think I like them even more then potato chips (and that’s saying a lot)! They're crispy, crunchy and on two recent occasions when I served them to kids -- several of whom normally turn their noses up at anything green -- they devoured the entire bowl full in minutes.

Another plus is that kale is among the most nutrient rich of all foods. Loaded with vitamin A, C and calcium, this is a vegetable that gets an A plus for nutrition and one that you definitely want your kids to be eating!

Kale Chips  (Serves 4)

• 1 bunch kale
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil spray

1. 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. 2. Wash and remove stems off the kale and cut leaves into 2 inch pieces.
  3. 3. Divide the kale between 2 cookie sheets lined with a Silpat or parchment paper, drizzle with oil (or spray with oil) and toss to coat (make sure there is a bit of space between the pieces of kale so they don’t steam).
  4. 4. Bake for 18-20 minutes (keep an eye on them during the last few minutes of cooking so they don’t burn).
Kale Chips

Comments

1. Pingback: 23 Healthy Kids Snacks | Pepper Scraps

2. Yvonne

November 14, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Hi Catherine,
    Love love love your site. I’ve made so many of your delicious recipes. Question about the kale chips though. I made them last night and they were delicious and crunchy right out of the oven. I stored them in a tupperware on the counter overnight after they had cooled and now they are chewy and pretty much inedible! :( Do these need to be eaten immediately or is there a better way to store them? I’m so disappointed because they were so yummy last night. Thanks!

3. smariej

August 24, 2013 at 11:37 am

Had to make a second batch for my son. I ate the first! Wow! Very good. After reading comments, I’d like to add I used kale from my farmers market and they were small leaves. I guess that made a difference? Won’t know for sure until winter when I have to buy from the supermarket. This is my new diet snack! Hope my son likes them too. I’m sure he will.

4. Tina

November 20, 2012 at 11:31 am

I made a batch and my 17 month old loved them! The first two batches were experiments as I figured out the correct amount of oil, oven temperature, and cooking time for my specific oven (the first two burned), but I managed to get crispy green kale after the third try. Thanks!

5. johannea72

August 29, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I loved them!

6. Alexandra

August 21, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I like to have the kids help. IF we buy non-organic, I soak them in the sink for a long time. Then after cutting them into smaller pieces (I think a key in making them crunchy) I let the kids spin them dry in the salad spinner. garlic powder, evoo, 15 minutes and then YUM. If there is any left over I smash it up in their pasta the next day.

7. Pingback: Vegetarian Recipes (That Are Actually Delicious) « Those Young Moms

8. Inessa

May 31, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Just made and love it! My husband and 2 year old daughter ate them right up! Thank you for a great recipe! :)

9. Pingback: And In This Corner, Weighing In At… « Me vs. Gavin

10. Kaye

April 29, 2012 at 6:17 pm

LOVE THESE! We toss them with a pinch of salt, some garlic powder and a few grinds of pepper. DELICIOUS!
    We only set our oven to 325 and bake for 8-10 minutes. Maybe gas ovens run hotter?

11. lindey

March 28, 2012 at 9:29 pm

those who found their chips to be bitter…i’ve discovered that kale i’ve grown myself and pick while the leaves are still semi small have a much milder taste. they are amazing versus the store-bought big bunches that are strong and have a strong sent when in the oven. we use MCT oil and salt and cook on 250 for 20 minutes.
    one of my favorite recipes from you catherine!! thanks so much for what you do here :o)

12. Blanca

March 18, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Mojo on my kale is sublime!

13. Pingback: Kale Chips « Kids in the Sink

14. GingerO

August 15, 2011 at 7:10 pm

300 degree oven worked better for me!
    Yum!

15. jellyjello

August 2, 2011 at 1:42 pm

WOW just realized my “kale ” chips were actually swiss chard! no wonder my pic looked alot different hahaha will try again with actual kale! delicious none the less =)

16. jellyjello

August 2, 2011 at 1:10 pm

just made these n i love them! one tray came out perfect n crunchy n the other tray i think i put to close together n they steamed but me n my daughter love them both! cant wait to make again with kale frm my moms garden!=)

17. Melanie

July 4, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I finally tried these today. I used purple kale (hoping the colour would catch my kids’ fancy) and a bit of fleur de sel. I couldn’t convince the kids to try it, but I quickly went through half the batch on my own. I think I have a new addiction!

18. sarasen

April 18, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I made these and added lemon pepper seasoning, they are yum…oh. Thank You!!

19. Lisa Marie

April 12, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I just made these, and they are delicious! My first batch burned after only 7 minutes or so. I only had to cook the next batch for about 5 minutes. I sprinkled them with a bit of salt, and they were amazing!

20. Jen

March 24, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Just learned about your site-really excited to check it out! I was wondering whether you’ve experimented with other greens with this recipe (chard, collards, etc). I’m planning on trying this recipe soon though-thanks!

21. colleen

March 22, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I have only one silpat and no parchment paper!!! any alternatives?!?
    thank you so much!

March 23, 2011 at 4:43 pm

You can just use your silpat :)

22. Trey Abeb

February 19, 2011 at 7:42 pm

The Grammys were finally about what’s good not whats popular. Too bad all the Headlines are about the losers. Beeber.

23. Stephanie

February 5, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I was actually glad to see some other people didn’t like them either. I REALLY wanted to like them, but they were just so bitter. Definitely not for me, I couldn’t get the taste out of my mouth.
    Love love love this website though!

• aka

February 19, 2011 at 5:21 pm

For those of you who didn’t like these amazing kale chips, try flat kale /Latincino…they sell it at whole foods, at least in LA, and I grow it in my garden. This makes a big difference in the taste (I’ve tried both ways)

24. Olive's Mom

February 2, 2011 at 10:15 pm

These are awesome! I don’t know why i haven’t tried them sooner. I made a small batch for my 2.5 y.o. b/c i was skeptical and she just kept saying “mmm, these are good mommy. i want more”. I had to promise to make her more tomorrow. I actually cut the kale into smaller, bite sized pieces (to help minimize crumbs and to make them more appealing to her) and only needed to cook them for about 5 mins before they started browning. I used spray olive oil and it worked great!

25. Tanya

January 20, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I love raw dehydrated kale chips. You can make them plane (same recipe as on here), or cheesy, or spicy – cheesy is our fav! :)) LOVE LOVE LOVE kale chips.

26. abarcelona

January 7, 2011 at 11:06 am

Hello,

I am on a mac and have been trying to save your yummy recipes to my recipe box. I’ve tried in both firefox and safari and both don’t work. I’ve registered and logged in on the recipe box page… I’d love to start a collection of recipes if possible! My 3 year old will love it!

Thanks,
    Ana

27. Pingback: Ask the Experts: Catherine McCord, Weelicious |

28. Lorrie

December 2, 2010 at 9:48 am

Really good recipe!!! My 3 1/2 year old loves them! Are there many nutrients left after cooking Kale like this?

29. Julianna

October 27, 2010 at 4:25 pm

hi. How do you rec. storing these so that they stay crunchy?

30. Pingback: THE ELIXIR – THE HUNT FOR A HEALTHY HALLOWEEN «

31. Pingback: 5 ways to get your kids to eat their veggies @ HEALTHY KIDS WORLD

32. Pingback: Week 6 Run 1-Made Kale Chips « Making New Tracks

33. Pingback: Choosy Moms Choose Jif? « Making New Tracks

34. Tonya

September 29, 2010 at 11:05 am

My daughter and I had a great time making them! But we think
    they taste terrible. We are looking forward to trying some other recipes on the weelicious site.

35. Julie P.

September 27, 2010 at 1:00 pm

We loved them but perhaps we cooked them too long as they were quite brittle and we made a great mess. At any rate my son and I had a great time eating them!!

36. Kristine

August 18, 2010 at 10:41 am

So yummy and nutritious. I have been looking for a good kale recipe, as it is inexpensive and nutrient dense, but it just isn’t tasty. I was even putting it in my protein smoothies, but I stopped putting it in there because I could taste the bitterness. But as a flaky chip, they are genius and tasty :) My 15 month old loves them. And to me, it tastes just like roasted seaweed. It’s a bit flaky, and may cause a little coughing if inhaled, lol. But we love them.

37. Anna

August 9, 2010 at 9:42 pm

I REALLY WANTED TO LIKE THESE… but seriously thought they were awful. I wish I could like them but they taste like burnt brussels sprouts (my husbands take on them) even though they weren’t burnt… I’d love to see my baby boy eating healthy chips like these but come on… yuck! I do LOVE this site and have found many delicious items that my family loves…

• friba

August 29, 2010 at 3:41 pm

same here. They tasted like seaweed and I guess i dont have a taste for them. Also mad the house smell lol but like wise I LOVE this site. has really inspired me to get in the kitchen which i have to say is a huge feat since I HATE cooking

• Lynnette

October 23, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Two different families agree as well. I was excited to think I could make chips out of Kale. Burnt brussel sprouts exactly eeeewwww blah blah blah they were terrible. Nice thought if would be great if you could turn veggies into chips. We all had a great laugh and everyone thought I was crazy….well they are used to trying my experiments…this def was a flop!

August 10, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I’m so bummed. But I am happy you have found other recipes you love :)

38. Judy O'Brien

July 29, 2010 at 8:45 am

Last night on Chronicle (here in Boston) they featured Kale chips as part of their Farmer’s Market program. Word is spreading. I also cooked them too long but will try again with the 6 minute time to see how that goes. You can always cook a little longer but once they overcook there is no going back.

39. Doreen

July 28, 2010 at 10:13 am

These are so good. I don’t know if my son will get any if he keeps napping…One question-what is the best way to store them?

July 28, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Store them in a container and leave on the counter, no need for fridge. You can even put them in ziploc bags :)

• Doreen

July 28, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Thanks! I think I have to get a mister for the olive oil. Drizzling makes them a bit soggy once they’ve been sitting for awhile. Still tasty, though. My 13 month old isn’t convinced that they’re edible yet, but I’ll keep trying…

40. lindey

July 25, 2010 at 12:29 pm

i pulled my first batch out of the oven (cooked about 12 minutes) about 20 minutes ago & my 17 month old is in heaven!! she begs for chips when my hubby has them occasionally, but i’d rather her not eat that junk. what a great, healthy alternative! i find them a bit bitter, but think i could aquire a taste for them.

i just love this site! prior to weelicious, i wasn’t even aware that kale existed & i do my fair share of healthy cooking.

41. Sue

July 11, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I also had to bake for about 6 minutes. I baked the first batch for 12 minutes and they were all burnt, tasted really bitter. I baked the subsequent batches for 6 minutes and they were perfect.

July 12, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Yup, every oven is different, i’m glad that you gave them another try and tested them at a different time. Its interesting to see how everyone’s oven work.

42. Loretta

June 28, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Took out at 15 minutes & some tasted a little burned, which made kale taste a little bitter…but son loved! He didn’t end up eating THAT much, but I think we have a winner! Will bake a little shorter time next time. Turned out very crispy!!

Catherine – this is the best website I have come across in a LONG time – maybe ever! SO helpful & easy & nutritious…love it!

P.S. Remember you from Dr. Drew show & always thought you were so cute. Love seeing you with a successful website & beautiful family! :-D

Voted for you for Oprah network. You definitely deserve your own show!

43. Andrea Larsen Nutritional Consultant

June 22, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I only had to bake mine for 6 minutes or they would have burned… a lot shorter but delicious!

44. Jaime

June 22, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Delicious…my picky 20month old loves them!!

I sprinkled w/ sea salt and parmesan !!

45. Larisa

June 18, 2010 at 7:43 am

Made them last night and unfortunately they burned :-( I baked for 18 minutes but wasn’t paying attention during the last minutes (was too busy making banana wee muffins). Should I just cook them less time next time?

June 18, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Banana-Wee Muffins are soo good! With the kale, you have to watch it in the last minutes, also every oven is different. I would try baking them again for 15 minutes and see how they turn out.

46. Betsy

June 16, 2010 at 8:23 am

Got a huge bunch of kale from our CSA yesterday. Made a batch of chips this morning. Sprikled with Parm Cheese when we took them out of the oven. YUMMY!!!

47. Pingback: Getting kids to eat veggies, Part 1 - Healthy Living : The Orange County Register

48. Jennifer

June 3, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Wow, these really taste like chips!! I’m impressed. This is a great recipe!

49. Wikas

May 21, 2010 at 10:49 pm

My palate couldn’t withstand the bitter taste of Kale, so I drizzled agave syrup and yummy!!!

50. Karisa

May 7, 2010 at 9:59 pm

These are truly DELICIOUS and my kids eat them up too! Love them. I make them at least once a week. I just wanted to add that organic kale is best if you can find it because kale is on the “Dirty Dozen” list of fruits and vegetables that contain the highest amount of pesticides.