Avocado Cream Cheese Sammie

Avocado & Cream Cheese Sammie

avocado-cream-cheese-sammie.jpg

If you follow weelicious on Facebook (and if you don't, you should -- it's so much fun!), you know how passionate I am about trying to make tasty school lunches. Everyday I post a picture of Kenya's lunch, hoping to inspire parents with new ideas. Sure, it feels sort of nerdy to be hunched over my son's lunch box with a camera, photographing what he's about to eat, but I so know the feeling of what it's like to get stuck in that rut making your kids the same old thing for lunch day after day.

Grilled cheese? Done it....a hundred times. Nut butter and jelly? Really, again? Cream cheese and avocado....wait, that's new! Kenya loves cream cheese and avocado, so combining them in a sandwich was a no brainer. I like this vegetarian lunch option because it's packed with protein from the cream cheese, and avocados contain 20 essential nutrients including fiber, potassium, vitamin E, B vitamins and folic acid. I cut Kenya's sandwiches with a cookie cutter, which makes eating more fun for him (it's hard to tell from the picture above, but the sandwich is shaped like an old fashioned car -- what little boy doesn't want to eat a car?). I'm pretty sure if I let Kenya, he would ask for this meal everyday. See how it does in your lunchtime rotation!

Avocado & Cream Cheese Sammie  (Makes 2 Sammies)

• 1 ripe avocado, cut in half and sliced
  • 1/4 cup cream cheese
  • 4 slices of bread (i know the bread in the picture above looks like white bread, but it’s not. it’s sourdough from our local farmer’s market. you can use any kind of bread you like, though.)

1. 1. Spread the slices of avocado on one slice of the bread.
  2. 2. Spread the cream on the other slice of bread.
  3. 3. Press into a sandwich.
Avocado & Cream Cheese Sammie

Comments

1. ambs

April 24, 2014 at 9:58 am

Just made these for Riley and I! She is 14 months and she loved them I had to give her part of mine because she ate hers all up!! I just used our sandwich bread that we had but I’m going to get sour dough bread when I stop at the store bc think that would be really good!

2. Mabel

September 8, 2013 at 7:31 pm

If I pack this for lunch, won’t the avacado get discoloured

September 9, 2013 at 1:28 pm

It doesn’t discolor too much, but if you’re worried about that you can sprinkle a little lemon juice on the avocado!

• cooktoeat

September 10, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I made these for breakfast and my 2-yr old ate half of it! I sent the rest of it for lunch (‘coz I was having a ‘bad-planned’ day). The lunch box came back empty. I was doubtful whether he would eat this since he never finishes his avacado smoothies. So I sprinkled a tiny bit of sugar. Thanks for this recipe!

3. DaniLove229

April 27, 2013 at 9:42 pm

My 9mo daughter had this today (cut into small pieces, she won’t eat any of her baby food.!) and she ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT.!! Definitely a hit.(:

4. Leesh

July 14, 2012 at 9:46 am

My 13 month old liked this (and will not eat plain avocado), however, because of the small pieces I have to cut for her, I smash up the avocado and spread it instead of slicing it. It makes cutting it small easier.

5. Omer Morosow

May 29, 2012 at 1:51 am

I’m commenting to let you know of the amazing discovery my wife’s daughter found using your blog. She learned a lot of details, with the inclusion of how it is like to have a very effective teaching heart to have others without hassle master certain advanced things. You really did more than my desires. I appreciate you for providing such productive, safe, explanatory and also fun tips about that topic to Ethel.

6. Rachel

March 26, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I usually avoid processed, but as the only one in my house who will eat avocado, I don’t buy it often. I’ve bought some 100-cal packs of guacamole from the days when I could eat dairy while nursing (had to have something on my mexican food sans the sour cream and cheese!)… how do you think this would work with the cream cheese? Would it be appropriate for a 13 month old (he’s picky, but I’d like to try!)? Thanks!

March 27, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Chloe has loved avocado since she was about 1, so I think these would be great for a 13 month old!

7. Christine

January 23, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Try avocado and banana sandwich! wow! or mash and chill them and serve it as icecream my two year old has no idea!

8. Pingback: A is for Avocado – Recipe Roundup

9. Pingback: Healthy Diet

10. jellyjello

July 9, 2011 at 5:15 pm

great recipe! my 1yo loved it n surprisingly my husband did too! (just had to add some turkey for him cus he says he needed meat lol) =)

11. Danielle

May 18, 2011 at 2:46 pm

@Katie Y: try hummus instead of cream cheese. There are lots of flavors including roasted red pepper which is slightly reddish in color.

12. Katie Y

May 18, 2011 at 2:35 pm

My daughter loves avocado’s but hates cream cheese (doesn’t like anything white besides milk, ice cream, and pasta sauce), any other substitute for the cream cheese?

However I will have to try this with my 14 month old, he isnt an avocado fan but maybe he will eat it.

• Elizabeth

March 15, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I was actually just looking at this one and wondered about mixing the cream cheese and avocado together as one spread. My 2.5 yo son wants to pick sandwiches apart so I thought that might take away some temptation.

Perhaps that would work for your daughter so it’s not white anymore?

13. judy

May 3, 2011 at 2:11 pm

sounds so easy, healthy, and no cooking required!

14. Kim

May 3, 2011 at 1:13 pm

MMmmm! This sounds and looks SO yummy! I’m a HUGE fan of cream cheese and avocado! My babies don’t really like avocado, but I’m sure this will please them! I definitely going to try this soon! Thank you!

15. Hagerwife

February 21, 2011 at 12:56 am

I was raised to try new things, and eat what was put in front of me. One thing that I NEVER managed to eat was avocado – couldn’t stand it.
    I’m 24 years old, I just made this sandwich on a whim.

Oh my… OH MY. I love it. I’m going to be going avocado CRAZY!! Thank you!!

16. azazazaz

January 6, 2011 at 12:36 am

Thanks so much!

17. Lorrie

August 21, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Will the avocado not turn brown after sitting in a lunchbox for a few hours? I love your recipes but have been hesitant to send avocado to school for this reason. And what about if you make it the night before? Thanks!

August 23, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Just sprinkle some lemon or lime juice and it will prevent them to turn brown :)

18. Rosalind

July 22, 2010 at 2:10 pm

My 1 1/2 year old son LOVED this sooooo glad for your website its a life saver !!! Thanks Again for making meal preparing & healthy eating easy & fun!

19. Terra

July 1, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I just made the avocado and cream cheese sammie for my 11 month old and she is grinning from ear to ear. She’s covered in green right now, which means she loves it! Thanks so much for this recipe. It’s now one of our favorite lunches!