Crock Pot Pulled Pork Tacos - Weelicious

Crock Pot Pulled Pork Tacos

Crock Pot Pulled Pork Tacos from Weelicious

Yum

Grandparents are the best! Thank goodness for the days when I'm totally overwhelmed and they come to pick Kenya up and take him on an outing. It's been quite a while since my dad hung out with a 3 1/2 year old, but he's really stepped up to the plate and surprised me with his love and time playing with his grandson. There have been adventures going to see trains, the zoo and even to the golf course (I think I know who has more fun on that outing). What always accompanies these little jaunts is a meal or two. Quite often when Kenya comes home he'll have in his hand a half eaten cheese sandwich on the most dreaded, whitest bread I've ever seen. There have been trips to the car wash where I've later found a pack of half-eaten chewing gum or a 16 ounce bag of sugar coated gum drops (I let out a little squeal of terror when I discovered those). When Kenya came home 2 weeks ago holding a pulled pork taco, I looked at my dad as if he had two heads. "Really dad, you got a 3 year old a pulled pork taco"? I figured there was no way that Kenya would ever want something like that, but my dad had reassured me that this was Kenya's doing, he had ordered it on his own (oh yeah, blame the kid)! To my amazement though, Kenya sat down at our table and chowed the entire thing in no time flat. He even asked if we could go get another one!

Crock Pot Pulled Pork Tacos from Weelicious

This all leads me to my obsession with recreating the pulled pork from our local taco stand (which is amazing, by the way). What do they put in it to make it taste so good? I finally realized it isn't the ingredients so much as it's the WAY they cook their pork. Soft, tender, juicy, it must take hours to get that "fall off the bone" texture. I don't know whether they use a crock pot, a slow cooker or just a cast iron pan in the oven, but I do know that I've now made this dish several times over the past two weeks (I use a slow cooker) and I can't keep the leftovers around long enough to enjoy them for myself they disappear so fast. The best part is there is next to no work for me except to enjoy my family and the final results!

Crock Pot Pulled Pork Tacos from Weelicious

Thank you to all the grandparents in our lives that are not only nurturing and caring for our precious little ones, but hopefully turning them on to foods and adventures that we may not always have the time to ourselves.

Crock Pot Pulled Pork Tacos from Weelicious

Crock Pot Pulled Pork Tacos from Weelicious

Crock Pot Pulled Pork Tacos  (Serves 6-8)

• 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 3-1/2 to 4 pound pork shoulder, rinsed and cleaned
  • 1 16 oz jar mild salsa (i used pace chunky salsa)
  • 1 package corn or flour tortillas

1. 1. Place the first 7 ingredients in a bowl and mix.
  2. 2. Place the pork shoulder in the Crock Pot (slow cooker) and rub all over with the seasoning mixture.
  3. 3. Pour the jar of salsa around the pork shoulder.
  4. 4. Cook on low heat for 8-12 hours.
  5. 5. Remove the pork to a plate and using 2 forks, shred the into bite size pieces (I like to remove the visible pieces of fat).
  6. 6. Pour a scoop or two of the juices into the pork and stir to combine (If you want to remove the excess fat from the juice you will use, pour it into a cup and refrigerate it until the fat solidifies and can be easily scooped out. Only the juices will remain).
  7. 7. Place the pork into the tortillas.
  8. 8. Serve with desired accompaniments.

Accompaniments: Salsa, Big Kid Guacamole, cilantro, diced onion, shredded cheese, sour cream

Crock Pot Pulled Pork Tacos

Comments

1. Chris@Stayin Afloat

June 27, 2014 at 8:19 am

I made this for my son’s taco bar at his 2nd birthday party. It was a hit. There is something about the seasoning – and I think the cut of meat that made it so delicious. It wasn’t 3.5 pounds but 6.5 and it did include the bone – which I left in for cooking.

I shared my experience here at my blog:

2. adrimolina

August 5, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Does this freeze well?

3. Chris B

July 5, 2013 at 11:23 pm

I made this with a pork loin roast and cooked it for 9 hours on low. I loved the flavor but the meat seemed a bit dry. Would the meat have been moister if I had used a pork shoulder? I’ve never cooked a pork shoulder and I’m not really sure where to get one, or if it would really make that much difference in the recipe. What do you think?

• Kelsey

February 3, 2014 at 3:02 pm

I used this recipe with a pork sirloin tip roast and cooked it on high for 5 hours and it came out perfect.

July 8, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Pork shoulder, or pork butt, is a different cut than loin and it is more tender. If you’re going to use a leaner cut of meat then you need to cook it for less time. It was probably dry because it was overcooked!

4. Pingback: Slow Cooked Pork Tacos, Guacamole, Slaw, Pickled Red Onions | superfoodmom

5. dreaquinn

April 26, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Ok, so this may be a dumb question, but I am wondering if I should use ground oregano or dried oregano leaves/flakes? Does it make a difference? I only have the dried oregano leaves in my spice cabinet but I’m guessing I should use the ground oregano for some reason. Thanks for your help! The recipe looks delicious and I love your site!

April 29, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Use the flakes! No dumb questions! :)

6. kim cochrane

March 25, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Wonderful my 7 and 5 year old loved it.

7. Ariel

March 13, 2013 at 8:42 am

Anyone made this with a frozen pork shoulder? I’m assuming you’d just cook on high for longer but want to be sure!

8. Emily Hamilton

February 6, 2013 at 9:35 am

This looks great. I have a 1.9 lb. pork loin I’d like to use—what would you recommend for cooking times on low in the crock pot? Thanks!

9. Darlene

January 30, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Made this yesterday for dinner and it turned out awesome!!
    We all loved it and my father in law said it was the best pork he ever tasted!!
    I just found this site about 2 weeks ago and i’m now obsessed with it! I have made so many great recipes so far and they have all been a hit. Wish i found it sooner. So excited! Truly inspiring:)

10. rebecca

October 21, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Absolutely loved this dish…especially my hubby. We will definitely be having this again soon.

11. kendall9

August 7, 2012 at 8:53 am

Added about a 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle powder to the rub, and it was fantastic!

12. Erika E.

September 18, 2011 at 7:46 am

I was wondering if I used 2 smaller pork shoulders that still equal about 3.5-4 lbs of meat, would that change the amount of time I have to cook it, if so how much longer or shorter? Thanks.

13. SKnight

September 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm

This is hands-down my husband’s FAVORITE dish that I can cook. He’s a chef at a 4-star restaurant and I’m usually intimidated to cook dinner, even after all these years. When I make this one, however, his face lights up like a little kid and he eats 3 or 4 helpings per sitting. The toddler LOVES it but the 12 year old “doesn’t care for the texture”. Oh well, can’t please them all!

14. Laura

June 1, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Can you cook on high? And for how long?

June 2, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Honestly, this is a type of meat that the longer you cook it, the better it is. So long and slow is the best way to do it.

15. Lisa Krempasky

March 20, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Excellent job. I’ve bookmarked you!

16. Amy

March 7, 2011 at 10:42 pm

This recipe has become one of our favorite & staple meals in our house. Kiddies (3 & 1.75 yr olds) & adults love it!!! TY!!!

17. Sharon

February 1, 2011 at 1:08 pm

This recipe is fabulous! I get rave reviews every time I make them and it makes the house smell great.

18. Heather

November 11, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I used the spices in this recipe for regular beef tacos in a pinch and it worked out great!

19. janaye

October 29, 2010 at 11:27 am

could you make this with chicken?

October 29, 2010 at 1:05 pm

yes but the cooking times will not be the same – you can season the chicken with the same seasonings.

20. Julie P.

September 27, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I made these for adult margarita night and they were fabulous. The smell in the house was mouth watering. They were a complete success and everyone wanted the recipe. I had to laugh when I told them where I got the recipe from. Thanks for including recipes the whole family can enjoy.

• Ahmad

February 2, 2014 at 10:13 pm

What is it about the eyes (and touching them) that makes peolpe cringe? I’m not disagreeing with you in the least, just simply wondering if it’s because it’s such a vulnerable area?! I feel the same way about fingernails. For some reason I can not watch them being removed!

21. Blanca

August 23, 2010 at 10:03 am

would this work for brisket? i bought some birsket from our farmer’s market and would like to make some tacos out of it.

August 23, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Sure! how many pounds is it? For a 5 1/2 Lb brisket it is set for 10 hours on low.

• Blanca

August 24, 2010 at 4:28 pm

It was a 2.65lbs beef brisket. I already made it last night. I combined your recipe w/ one I found online but made it in the over for 3 hrs on 325. I was craving brisket tacos yesterday and I knew it would take all day in the crock pot so I decided to use the oven. I added our fave BBQ sauce. It was a bit rubbery (which is why I steer clear from beef), so I will try the crock pot method next time!!

August 25, 2010 at 4:33 pm

The longer you cook it the more tender it gets, I would have cooked it on low about 250 for 12 hours in the oven – or even 300 for 8-10 hours. That way it would pull apart and be nice and soft. Let me know about the crock pot method!

22. Joan

August 10, 2010 at 10:29 am

Sounds good. I don’t have a slow cooker. Can I use a pressure cooker instead? How much time roughly will I need to cook it in a pressure cooker?

August 10, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I think you would be better off roasting a 5-7 lb in a 300 degree oven for about 6-7 hours. It will come out much better :)

23. sandra

August 9, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Love it. Except the salsa. I really hate that brand. It tastes horrible. I make my home made salsa.

24. Molly Elmore

August 9, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I make a similar recipe and use pork tenderloin, which is very lean. It was a recommendation and i was surprised that such a lean cut could make pulled pork that was so juicy. The recipe I was given uses a can of green enchilada sauce which is a cousin to salsa. Thank you to weelicious for all of the tasty menu ideas!

25. Kelli

July 10, 2010 at 1:23 am

I made this for supper tonight. It was wonderful! And all day my house smelled so good! My husband and I kept talking about if it tasted half as good as it smelled, it was going to be great! It tasted just as good as it smelled, and was easy to prepare.

26. Sarah

June 30, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I don’t have a slow cooker- do you think I could cook it in the oven? Any ideas on time/temperature?

• Jason

February 2, 2014 at 10:00 am

You haven’t described a scneice fair project. See the best answer at the first reference. For someone who takes the scneice fair seriously, see the second reference.

July 1, 2010 at 4:24 pm

I haven’t tested the pork in an oven, I would cut it in half and put it in the oven at 300 for 8-10 hours covered or until it starts to fall apart. I have not tested it and it also depends on the oven so if I were you, I would check on the meat every hour or so. Sorry, if this doesn’t help. If you test it, let me know how they come out.

27. Pingback: Sexy-y Babes

28. Melanie

June 14, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Thank you, thank you! Totally delicious and very easy for my little one to eat. I never would have thought to throw pork shoulder in a crock pot like this. Weelicious hasn’t let me down yet! x

• Sara

June 14, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Do you think that it would be okay to use just the pork and make a mixture similar to a tuna sandwich, with the pork, mayo, pickles, boiled eggs? I can’t eat tuna but miss the tuna sandwiches that I used to have and was trying to find a way to recreate it without using fish.

June 15, 2010 at 12:10 pm

You can use the pork any way you want. :)

29. AFSHAN

June 14, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I LIKE YOUR WEBSITE VERY MUCH CAN I MAKE THEM WITH BEEF?