One of Kenya and Chloe's favorite activities is going on long walks with their Mommy and Daddy in their Double City Mini Stroller (and I love this stroller as much as they do -- it makes getting two kids around a snap). One of the bonuses of living in California is that the weather is nice enough to do it almost any day of the year. The kids love being outside and looking at dogs, birds, and trucks, and picking all kinds of fruits from the trees in our neighborhood (another California bonus!). Along our usual route our neighbors have branches overflowing with oranges, plums, kumquats and apples. Kenya loves bringing a bag along with him for the ride to collect his booty. Part of the adventure for us is not only picking the fruit, but also making something delicious with it when we get home. That's where the inspiration for these Apple Banana Muffins came from. Naturally sweet apples and bananas in a muffin that's a great for breakfast or a snack and also the perfect treat when it's time to head out in the stroller again for our next outing!
Apple Banana Muffins (Makes 24-28 Mini Muffins)
- 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup old fashioned oats
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 1/2 Cup agave or honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 Cup Milk*
- 2 Bananas, mashed
- 1 Medium Apple, peeled and grated (Gala, Pink Lady, Fuji or Golden Delicious are good choices)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl and mix.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients together.
4. Slowly add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
5. Grease a mini muffin tin or line it with muffin cups and fill each cup 3/4 full with the batter.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.