Raspberry Sauce

Having two young kids, I find it kind of funny how one will voraciously eat a certain food without pause and the other turns their nose up at it after the first bite. This happens a lot in our house, specifically when it comes to plain yogurt. My husband, Kenya and I each eat at least one container of Greek yogurt a day -- Kenya without any added toppings at all. Chloe, on the other hand, will just flat out say "noooo" when she sees plain yogurt unless there's something to liven it up like a scoop of Apricot, Peach and Golden Raisin Puree.

I like to keep frozen berries on hand, primarily because Kenya thinks they're the best breakfast AND dessert known to man. He loves eating them on their own, but recipes like this Raspberry Sauce is one he always makes an exception for. It only takes me minutes to prepare and it is so unbelievably delicious, it makes an impression on even the littlest of kids.

Raspberries are a powerhouse of nutrition, boasting magnesium, Vitamin C and plenty of dietary fiber. Since they only have 61 calories per cup, this is a perfect sauce for mom to drizzle on her favorite foods too.

When Kenya and Chloe watched me making this the other day they both oohed and ahhed as I poured the finished product into a glass jar. The gorgeous red color is almost hypnotic, and when they tasted it on their yogurt, they both went crazy. Even my husband who, like Kenya, likes his yogurt unadorned has been pouring this on to the point that there's more sauce than yogurt in his bowl. Whether you decide to serve this on some protein-packed yogurt, ice cream, waffles or even on a sandwich with a spread of almond butter or cream cheese, it's a treat that you'll soon want to become a staple in your fridge. That's one thing everyone can probably agree on!

Raspberry Sauce  (Makes 1 1/2 Cups)

• 1 12oz bag frozen raspberries
  • 2 tablespoons honey or agave
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch

1. 1. Place the raspberries and honey or agave in a saucepan over low to medium heat, stirring to combine and smashing the raspberries with the back of a spoon.
  2. 2. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
  3. 3. Whisk the cornstarch and water in a small bowl.
  4. 4. Add the cornstarch mixture to the raspberries and stir until the sauce thickens (about 2 minutes).
  5. 5. Cool and serve over yogurt, ice cream, pancakes and more!
  6. ** Sauce can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
Raspberry Sauce

Comments

1. Pingback: Summer | La Vie en Cookies

2. _missbrandi14_

September 9, 2013 at 5:04 pm

What can I use instead of honey/agave? My little one is under 1yr.

September 10, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Kids under 1 can have agave!

3. Audrey

August 30, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Would this work if I used blueberries instead of raspberries?

September 3, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Yes it would!

4. Brandi

August 25, 2013 at 10:07 am

I really want to make this for my son but he is only 11 months. What do you recommend using instead of honey and agave.

5. Pingback: A recipe for fun: Tips for hosting a family-friendly brunch | Digger News

6. Pingback: Rise and shine: Tips for throwing the ultimate brunch – Share Your Tips Of Life In All Fields

7. Pingback: Color Theme: Red | This Girl's Canon

8. Pingback: Rise and shine: Tips for throwing the ultimate brunch | HGRadio

9. Pingback: Rise and shine: Tips for throwing the ultimate brunch | HGRadio

10. Pingback: Hot Chocolate Sauce Recipe | Leite's Culinaria

11. Laura

January 15, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Have you ever baked with the sauce? I have a recipe that requires a similar sauce. Rather than buying, wonder if this will hold up?

January 16, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I haven’t but I think it would be fine. Now I want to develop some recipes for that purpose! What’s the recipe you’re making?

• Laura

February 7, 2013 at 8:54 am

I will email you. It will not take me so long to get back to you this time!

12. Pingback: Recipe: Everything tastes better on a stick | My Family Blog

13. Pingback: Why does everything taste better on a stick? | Buy Online Shop Now

14. E L James

June 3, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I keep getting redirected to this page.

15. peanut butter rice krispie treats

May 9, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I know how it is with young ones.. You have to watch them because they are watching you…

16. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday – March 19 | Dunaway Dietetics

17. Virgin Mobile Android

February 1, 2012 at 9:29 am

Virgin Mobile Android Deals Motorola Triumph Prepaid Android Phone The Motorola Triumph is a thing of beauty and comes closest to the handheld device I’ve been dreaming of.

18. Rice Krispie Treats

January 28, 2012 at 8:05 am

19. Soft Pretzel Recipe

January 2, 2012 at 8:25 am

This is good information for me. I read it and will be right back to read other issues. Thank you very…..

20. Furniture Mart

December 28, 2011 at 5:17 am

This article is very interesting I like it. I will always come to visit after.I would recommend to friends more///

21. Metropcs Android

December 14, 2011 at 11:05 am

This article is an article well read I have benefited a variety of fields.’,’This article is very interesting I like it. I will always come to visit after.I would recommend to friends more

22. After Christmas Sales 2011

December 7, 2011 at 2:01 am

This is what makes them offer even greater discounts. It is a fact of observation, that the discount rates are raised even more higher, which brings prices down drastically. Some products which are offered for record low prices by the end of the year, after Christmas are electronic goods, apparel toys and a range of other household goods. So if you missed the bus during Black Friday and Christmas eve, you always have after Christmas sales to look forward to. Let me share some tips on how to lay your hands or how to get the best after Christmas Sale.

23. black friday internet sales

November 22, 2011 at 12:22 am

Many thanks for these guidelines! Its usually tricky locating in addition dimensions fashion which is actually inexpensive as well as complementing With online shopping I do not have to worry about trying to find several hours in stores and looking millions of things on

24. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday–August 8 | Dunaway Dietetics

25. Amy

July 11, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Hi Catherine! I’m living in Barcelona and can’t easily find frozen raspberries. Can I simply substitute fresh ones?

26. Melissa

May 31, 2011 at 6:54 am

Hi, maybe i’m being a off topic here, but I was browsing your site and it looks exceptional. I’m writing a blog and trying to make it look neat, but everytime I touch it I mess something up. Did you design the blog yourself? Could someone with little experience do it, and add updates without messing it up? Anyways, good information on here, very informative.

27. rice cooker reviews

April 6, 2011 at 4:49 pm

This will be a excellent site, might you be interested in doing an interview about how you developed it? If so e-mail me!

28. Morgan

February 8, 2011 at 2:17 pm

My girls love this sauce! We have eaten it on yogurt and pancakes. Thanks for such a great recipe!

29. PattiR

January 17, 2011 at 9:28 am

This is AH-MAZING! Reminds me of the sugary-syrupy-strawberry sauce we used to use to top french toast when i was a kid. My husband and i topped ice cream with it last night and he asked me more than once…what did you put in this, it’s great?? I used strawberries, and used a potatoe masher to smoosh them. I can’t wait to try this on yogurt!

30. Lori

December 14, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Finally had a chance to make this, and it is DELICIOUS!!! I can’t wait to put it on the kids’ pancakes in the morning! Also so excited to try it on ice cream! Much healthier sauce than chocolate syrup. Thanks!!!

31. Heather

November 15, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Can this be made with strawberries instead? I don’t have any raspberries on hand.

November 17, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Yes, any type of berries !

32. Esther

September 3, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Love your recipes. I am addicted. I have a very small kitchen but am still inspired and look forward to cooking again.
    How do your recipes (this one in particular) can? I am very limited in our fridge/freezer space and would prefer to can this for storage.

September 3, 2010 at 1:53 pm

You would need a lot of sugar to be able to preserve this. The best part about this recipe is that it lasts up to 2 weeks in your fridge and you can just put it in a small container for storage. I have never canned this and not sure if it would work.

33. Stephanie

July 20, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I made this sauce exactly as the recipe stated and while it was quite good, (Luke, my 2 year old gobbled it up) My husband said that it was a little tart (because of the raspberries!) What can I add to cut the tartness of the raspberries?

July 21, 2010 at 3:23 pm

You can add more honey or agave :)

34. Sarah

June 28, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Hi Catherine,
    Great recipe! Exactly what I was thinking about making over the weekend. Tried it this morning with blueberries (didn’t have any raspberries) and it turned out great! I used the cornstarch and it became quite thick. Might skip the cornstarch next time so then it would be more like a blueberry syrup.
    Great with pancakes and banana bites.
    Thank you!

June 29, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Thank you for the feedback! I will be changing the recipe to 1 tbsp cornstarch since I see that mine came out to be more thick after i refrigerated it. I’m so happy it came out great! I will be using this sauce as a jam and make another batch with the updated recipe!

• Sarah

June 29, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Well that was the beauty of your recipe – it ended up making a much healthier jam! Much better than the traditional jam recipes (1kg sugar to each 1kg of fruit) and was lovely and easy to spread on toast this morning. Must experiment with different berries and see what happens!

35. Mary

June 28, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Hi Catherine! First, thanks for all super yummy recipes. My little one (and me the hubs, too) love them!! I can’t wait to try the raspberwee sauce, but I had a question about how long it could keep in the fridge? I made a similar sauce with blackberries last night (although I put lemon juice to thicken instead of cornstarch) and I am not sure how long it’s safe to keep. Any thoughts?

June 29, 2010 at 2:35 pm

This sauce is good for 2 weeks in the fridge. How was your blackberry sauce?

• Mary

June 30, 2010 at 7:44 pm

2 weeks is perfect! It was yummy, but next time I will figure out how to remove the seeds first. Little Man is a little picky about those. I do like using the lemon to thicken it instead of adding pectin or gelatin like other recipes call for. Can’t wait to try the raspberry!

July 1, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Thank you! This is big hit at our house!! After cooking the sauce, you can put the sauce through a mesh strainer to separate the seeds from the sauce :)

36. Emily @ Random Recycling

June 28, 2010 at 9:52 am

I love recipes with just 4 ingredients, perfect to make to spice up the weekday meals. thanks!

37. Karen Zogheib

June 28, 2010 at 8:53 am

Hi
    We love your recipes. Keep them coming. I was wondering, we have frozen a lot of Mulberries. Can we do the same recipe as the Raspberr-Wee sauce as above? Do you have any recommendations or recipes you would recommend to use the Mulberries? Please advise. Thank you again!

Karen