If there’s one food that always brings me straight back to my childhood, it’s strawberry shortcake. These Peach & Strawberry Shortcakes are the perfect twist of classic meets delicious. The combination of strawberries and peaches just brings this family favorite to an entirely new level!
During the winter months, I find myself dreaming of juicy, colorful fruit that only grace our farmers market in the warmer months of summer. Nectarines, melons, apricots, figs, berries of all kinds… and of course, peaches and strawberries! When the vendors start bringing out these fruits at the beginning of the season, I can’t help but get giddy. As soon as I get home, Kenya, Chloe and Gemma are already scheming which fruits they’ll eat first and what recipes they want to make with them. And let me just say, this recipe did NOT disappoint.
I bit into a strawberry that I bought at the farmers’ market this past weekend and it was so perfectly ripe, the juice dripped right down my chin. That is the kind of strawberry you want to use for these fluffy shortcakes. Combined with soft, melt in your mouth peaches, that are also in season right now, these Peach & Strawberry Shortcakes are pure heaven.
Summer fruit is my love language. Hand me a juicy, ripe strawberry or peach and I’m in heaven. While I love them straight from the market, I also love making recipes with them like Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble, Strawberry Muffins or Peach & Strawberry Shortcakes. They’re not just for dessert though! Try out this Summer Fruit and Mozzarella Salad on a hot summer day!
I made some recently as a treat for my parents and the kids one afternoon. Everyone lined up in front of me with their plates held out as I assembled each shortcake for them, topping a half a shortcake with naturally sweet fruit, followed by a dollop of honey yogurt and finally it’s better half, creating the perfect summer time treat.
I have a strong feeling that these desserts are about to become a staple for any summer gathering we have. With how easy these are to make, and how happy they make my family, I’m looking forward to making batch after batch!
Peach & Strawberry Shortcakes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 peach, pitted and diced
- 1 cup strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place the first 4 ingredients into a food processor and combine.
- Add the cold butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Place the mixture in a bowl, make a well in the center and pour in the milk. With a fork, slowly stir until the ingredients are just combined.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead about 5 times.
- Pat the dough out into a rectangle and cut out about eight 3-inch rounds using a circular cookie cutter or the rim of a glass .*
- Place the rounds on a sheet pan, bake for 17 -19 minutes and set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, combine the peaches and strawberries.
- In another bowl, mix the yogurt, vanilla and honey.* *
- Cut shortcake in half through the middle, place a large spoonful of fruit mixture in the center, a heaping of yogurt honey sauce and top with the remaining shortcake half.
- Continue making the shortcakes and serve.
- *Option: you can brush the tops lightly with milk and sprinkle some sugar on the rounds before baking if you desire for extra sweetness.
- ** Alternatively you can fill the shortcakes with whipped cream instead of greek yogurt
Can I use spelt flour instead?
I used whole wheat pastry flour in place of the white flour and forgot to add the sugar and it still turned out great. My kids loved it! The greek yogurt in place of whipped cream was such a good idea. Thanks for the recipe!
Does the butter have to be cold and can I mix it by hand? Not a baker, so these may be obvious questions. Sorry. Thanks!
These look so refreshing and delicious. My children and I are going to make the shortcakes now and have them for dessert tonight. THANKS!
Homemade Strawberry Shortcake has been a summertime staple in our family for as long as I can remember! What a fun twist to use Greek yogurt in place of freshly whipped cream!