Breakfast Quesadilla

You would think that for someone who cooks as much as I do, I would have a fridge full of food 24/7. Although I do try and keep my larder well stocked, there are many weeks when I'm running around non-stop and don't make it to the grocery to pick up our every day essentials.

Still, there are three things that I ALWAYS have on hand; eggs, tortillas and cheese. They're all relatively inexpensive, last for weeks if properly refrigerated, and combined, make the perfect breakfast meal that will send your kids off to school with tons of energy for their day.

I had originally tried making this Breakfast Quesadilla with scrambled eggs, but when it came time to eat it, huge chunks of eggs kept falling out of the tortillas all over the floor. No one dislikes clean up more than me, so I went back to the drawing board and experimented -- this time cooking the eggs like a thin omelet, topping each side with melted cheese and then sandwiching it all between two tortillas (if you want to watch how to do it, here's a cooking video for this recipe that walks you through the simple process in detail).

My kids love this recipe so much, it's gone into heavy morning breakfast rotation. That's good news for me, especially for tomorrow since I just checked and my fridge is practically bare again!

Breakfast Quesadilla  (Serves 2-3)

• 2 tortillas ( i use whole wheat or spelt)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup mexican blend cheese (or you can use cheddar, monterey jack or mozzarella)
  • 1 teaspoon oil

1. 1. Whisk 2 eggs in a bowl for 30 seconds until combined.
  2. 2. Place 1 tsp of oil in a 9 inch pan over medium heat, coating the bottom of the pan (make sure to use a pan that is at least slightly larger than your tortilla).
  3. 3. Pour in the whisked eggs, tilting the pan to spread it evenly across.
  4. 4. Let the omelette cook for 30 seconds then gently use your spatula to go along the edges of the omelette, lifting them away from the pan to loosen.
  5. 5. Sprinkle 2 tbsp of cheese on top of the omelette, place one tortilla on top of the egg and cheese and flip it onto a plate (you can watch how I do this here).
  6. 6. Slide the omelette, tortilla side-down, back into the pan, sprinkle another 2 tbsp of cheese on top of the egg and place another tortilla on top to cover.
  7. 7. Continue to cook the quesadilla for 1 minute, pressing down lightly with a spatula to help melt the cheese, then flip the quesadilla to cook the other side for an additional 30 seconds or until cheese melts and tortilla is golden.
  8. 8. Cut into wedges and serve.
  9. *If you use a smaller tortilla, use 1 egg per quesadilla and 1/4 cup of cheese.

Accompaniments: Salsa, Pico de Gallo, Ketchup, Cilantro

Breakfast Quesadilla

Comments

1. Pingback: Quick Healthy Breakfast Quesadilla  | About Food and Diet

2. Pingback: September Meal Plan – Week 4 | Soul Munchies

3. Pingback: Super cool breakfast | crys1820's Blog

4. Pingback: MORE Quick and Easy Recipes for the Picky Eater | Columbia SC Moms Blog

5. Pingback: Fun and Easy Back to School Breakfast Ideas For Kids

6. kay

July 25, 2014 at 6:17 am

Love these!!!

7. Pingback: 25 Make Ahead Back to School Breakfast Ideas - Second Chance To Dream

8. Pingback: Healthy Real Food Lunches for Real Kids | Live Simply

9. RHONDA

October 3, 2013 at 10:13 am

Oh wow! these were amazing! thanks soooo much for the fun, quick and easy way for a FILLING & YUMMY breakfast! I wish I could say like everyone else that my 16mo old loves them, but she’s just not eatin them this morn :( maybe I’ll try again another time!!

ONE question though: what that red dipping sauce in the picture?

October 3, 2013 at 11:07 am

Salsa :)

• Jaycee

February 5, 2014 at 1:44 am

I really codnul’t ask for more from this article.

10. Olena

September 11, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Yummy!

11. Pingback: Real Food Meal Plan: April 22-28 | LiveSimply

12. Viviana

April 3, 2013 at 9:39 am

I made this this morning and it was great i did one big one for my daughter and I add and I added spinach to the half that was for me and it turned out great, hopefully soon she will get into the spinach. I did make a really big one and I have left overs that I was thinking I will send to her on her lunch box, Do you think it will keep good in a planet box or laptop lunch until lunch time at school? Please let me know and thanks a lot for all your amazing recipes!!!

April 3, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Yes, it should be fine by lunch time! I often send quesadillas to school in lunch!

13. Shalise

March 13, 2013 at 9:46 am

Thank you so much for thinking of this! My 20 month old wont touch his eggs anytime I make them for him. I think it’s the texture. This is the perfect way to ‘hide’ them. I added some chopped ham in the omelet and he LOVES these!

14. Cheryl

February 26, 2013 at 10:20 am

Catherine, made these for myself this am after the kids went to school and have to tell you they were amazingly delicious!! So basic, simple, and so tasty. Every receipe I try, it tastes great and so fun to make. Even for adults :-) Love how you take foods we all love and make healthier versions. You are a beautiful inspiration. Luv from Canada!

15. Pingback: On Shopping At Trader Joe’s [Real Food]

16. SherriH

January 28, 2013 at 2:49 am

This is going to be breakfast tomorrow morning…..

17. Sharon

December 6, 2012 at 8:29 am

My 15 month old son is literally eating this right now and he keeps saying yum yum yum as he’s eating it…thank you for this recipe! It is awesome and SO easy!

18. leslie & elizabeth

October 26, 2012 at 9:58 am

OMG I just found your site via Humane Society and it’s WONDERFUL!
    Great and easy ideas…bonus being healthy. Yes, I want to be on your mailing list…I checked it off.

19. Becky

September 22, 2012 at 7:06 pm

My three daughters devoured these quesadillas tonight for “breakfast” dinner. So good!!

20. Monica

September 4, 2012 at 11:12 am

I just made these for my Lila this morning and she loves them…thanks for the great ideas!

21. Pingback: The 5 Minute No Mess Breakfast Quesadilla | Family Kitchen

22. Pingback: The 5 Minute No Mess Breakfast Quesadilla | My Family Blog

23. Gary

August 17, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Made it last week for my kiddos.. Both loved it. Thanks for another great idea.

24. Pingback: Baby Toddler Food (18+ mo) June 2012 Menu | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

25. Pingback: slow cookers reviews

26. Pingback: metal equipment

27. Pingback: Bare Escentuals Foundation Uk | My Cosmetics Choice

28. Pingback: Dinner

29. Michelle W

October 23, 2011 at 7:19 am

This is a huge hit with my 17-month-old! He’s thoroughly enjoying it right now. Thanks for another fantastic recipe. I’m sure this will be in heavy rotation now, and it is so quick and easy. And yummy!

30. anna

August 25, 2011 at 8:19 am

I have a question– where do you find spelt tortillas?
    Thank you for all of the amazing ideas. Everything has been a huge hit with my family.

31. jellyjello

July 13, 2011 at 12:09 pm

just made these for breakfast and they are great! my 1yo is gobbling them up =) she says “more cheese” thanx again catherine another great recipe!

32. Andrea

May 27, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Made these for lunch today, crossing my fingers that the boys will eat it! :) I think they are yummy!

33. Anna

December 29, 2010 at 9:27 am

My 15 month old son and I LOVE these! I’ve been making them for breakfast at least twice a week since you posted this – only I make them open faced with only 1 tortilla. With 2 eggs this is perfect for him and I to share! This morning I added some finely chopped ham left over from Christmas dinner. Yum!

34. Stepanka

November 27, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Just made these for breakfast, so yummy. For the filling I have made scrambled eggs with tofu instead of the omelet and it worked out very well, my 2 year old and hubby loved it. Thank you Cathrine for sharing this with us:)

35. Aisha

October 13, 2010 at 7:30 am

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!!

36. Tracey

October 4, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Catherine,
    I LOVE your site. Have used weelicious and many, many recipes for years and don’t make a meal without checking your site for recipes or ideas first. Thank you so much for all your hard work, great ideas but most of all thanks for sharing and making it so simple. I swear my husband thinks I’ve gone to culinary school since I’ve been using your recipes. We are vegetarians so love the variety you provide, and especially appreciate all the cooking without refined sugar…a must for this house!

I have a question about this recipe–do you think it would freeze okay? Leaving the family for the first time and looking for quick, delicious stuff to stock the freezer with.

Thanks again Catherine. Keep up the great work, I’d be lost without you ;+)

October 6, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I personally, do not like to freeze ready made eggs , but I am sure these would be fine to freeze. Just let them cool and place in a ziploc bag and when ready, let them thaw and then reheat :)

37. Tanya

October 3, 2010 at 7:35 am

My son loves these. We made two modifications to them – we make them open faced and we add veggies. I have a hard time getting my son to eat a vegetable if he sees that’s what he’s getting – so I chop up some green peppers or mushrooms and toss them in. A hit in our house. Thanks!

38. Jamie

September 30, 2010 at 11:18 am

Now why didn’t I think of that! I make breakfast burritos for dinner all the time using scrambled eggs but it’s always such a mess for my 2 and 3 year olds. What a difference with changing it to an omelete! I even snuck some pureed cauliflower in there!

39. jeannine

September 28, 2010 at 6:03 pm

I recently made this and packed it in my son’s lunch. So good!
    I homemade the tortillas and wanted to recommenced doing this with your children. We made flour tortillas and it was so much fun. The dough recipe was easy and forgiving. We used a non-dairy milk and vegetable oil.
    Really lots of fun, it would be a great show!

40. Lisa

September 20, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I just found your website this weekend and this was the first recipe I tried. I’m always looking for new lunch ideas for my 20-month old. I threw in some mushrooms, bell pepper and tomatoes in the eggs, and it turned out great! It’s healthy and my daughter loved it. I also love this cooking method. Can’t wait to try more recipes! Thank you!!!

41. Jessica

September 19, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Thanks so much for this recipe! I found your website a couple months ago and my two year old LOVES most of the stuff Ive tried!! He tore through this meal and was begging for seconds!

42. Jennie

September 18, 2010 at 11:02 pm

We’ve had this three times this week already! Twice for breakfast for all of us and once for a quick lunch for Frankie. She munched the yummy triangles of cheese, egg and tortilla up with a big smile on her face.

Thanks AGAIN to weelicious!

43. Jessica

September 17, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Another success! My 2 year old loved it! Thanks for the video. :)

44. Pamela

September 16, 2010 at 11:38 am

Thank you so much for this easy recipe. My 11 month old, who is so particular about textures, loves these. He hates to touch anything that feels wet. So fresh cut fruit and eggs and such are a big no go. But he loves bread and cracker stuff. With the tortilla being the only part he touches he gobbles it up.

45. Alana

September 14, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I made these last night as a test run (and a snack for me, hehe) They are fabulous! All 3 kids had them this morning and they all loved them. I had an urge to dip them in salsa, so I may try that next time.
    Thanks!

46. Heather

September 13, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Making this for a late dinner for my hubby tonight! What a great idea!

47. Miranda Merten

September 13, 2010 at 12:48 pm

I do this as well with the scrambled eggs, and even though they fell out time and time again, it NEVER crossed my mind to just fry them up like fried eggs. Such a great idea. Thank you!

48. Lucy

September 13, 2010 at 11:59 am

My daughter loved this :) she’s two now and I came across weelicious when she was about 13 months and had become a very picky eater. Thanks to you I found wonderful recipes that incorporated veggies and she ate almost everything I’ve made from weelicious! Her fav…portabello pizzas :) she luvvvs mushrooms

49. Holly N.

September 13, 2010 at 10:22 am

Do you use olive oil or vegetable oil? Just wondering. TIA!

September 13, 2010 at 5:31 pm

I use vegetable oil :)

50. Heather

September 13, 2010 at 9:21 am

I even sometimes put in a teaspoon of salsato the egg- my son and I like spicey!

51. Holly N.

September 13, 2010 at 9:06 am

Sounds yummy even for mommy! Thanks for sharing all your wonderful recipes!!

52. Pingback: Weelicious ™ – Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food … | DavidKaiserBlog

53. Michelle

September 13, 2010 at 12:47 am

That is a great idea! Genius. We just make breakfast burritos, but this is even better. Thank you!