It’s no wonder so many people’s New Year’s resolution is to go on a diet. When I was a kid, the door bell would seemingly ring every hour leading up to the holidays with husbands delivering their wives’ sumptuous homemade baked goods. By the time Christmas arrived, we would have a kitchen full of fruitcakes, coffee cakes, cookies and tons of other delicious -- yet overly sweet -- treats that I remember my mother monitoring my every move around. By New Year’s Day, usually every crumb had disappeared.
Baking for others during the holidays is a tradition I enjoy carrying on, and this year I decided to make something for my friends and my kids’ teachers that's delicious, but a little bit on the lighter side. These Whole Wheat Seed Crackers have that home baked feel, are crisp and flavorful and, even though they are crackers, are pretty to look at. I feel better knowing that I’m giving people something that's a bit more healthy but still perfect for the holidays. Whether you put these crackers in a reusable glass jar, beautiful tin, Graze Organic bag or simply serve them straight out of the oven, I bet they'll be something memorable that people will ask you for again and again in coming years. And I promise you they have less calories than a Yule Log!
Whole Wheat Seed Crackers
- 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 1 Tsp each of Fennel, Chia, Flax and Poppy Seeds
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. In a food processor, pour in whole wheat flour, AP flour, salt, onion powder and pulse to combine.
3. Add chilled cubed butter and pulse till it resembles coarse meal.
4. Add water and pulse until the dough comes together.
5. Remove and shape the dough into a flat disk and place between two pieces of parchment paper.
6. Roll dough out until 1/4 inch thick, lift paper, sprinkle seeds on top of the dough, then place parchment paper back on top and roll with a rolling pin to press seeds into the dough. Remove paper and cut into crackers 1/2 in x 2 in sticks or use cookie cutter to make into shapes.*
7. Place crackers on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes.
8. Cool and serve.
*To Freeze: After step 6, place the cut out shapes on a baking sheet and freeze for 20 minutes. Remove from freezer, place in a Ziploc bag, label and freeze for up to 4 months. When ready to bake, follow steps 7-8 adding an additional 1-2 minutes baking time.