Italian Asparagus Sticks

First and foremost, weelicious is about recipes for kids -- or at least that was the intention when I started this website for little ones almost four years ago. I dreamt of coming up with meal ideas that would appeal to kids and inspire them to eat foods that are not only good for them, but that taste delicious at the same time. Something has happen along the way, though. I've realized that we're all kids at heart and even adults love the idea of food that comes in interesting shapes, has bright colors, unique flavors or an engaging aspect to them.

So, did I make these Italian Aspargus Sticks for: my kids or me and my hubby? The kids and I had these tasty asparagus stick creations for dinner one night and we loved every bite. I never know how the kids will react to certain vegetables, but the taste and presentation of these sticks are so appealing that it’s hard for even the most finicky eater to resist them. Tender on the inside and crispy on the outside, Kenya and Chloe loved dipping the asparagus in the tomato sauce I served with it on the side and kept remarking, "there so crunchy, Mommy!" As I do with most recipes, I double what I make and freeze half in order to have plenty for another night, but my planning was all for naught. When my husband got home from work later that night, I sat with him while he ate our leftovers. He ate them all and wanted more so I popped the frozen ones in the oven to toast them up for him. The next thing I noticed, they were all gone! So much for being prepared for a future meal.

It's good to know that no matter what our age we can all enjoy the same foods and always remember it's great to be a kid at heart!

Italian Asparagus Sticks  (Serves 4)

• 1 cup whole wheat panko or bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon italian herbs (you can find them in any grocery’s spice section)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 bunch asparagus, cleaned and stems removed (if you snap the asparagus down towards the bottom, they will naturally break at the woody part at the bottom)

1. 1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
  2. 2. Mix the first 4 ingredients in a bowl.
  3. 3. Whisk the egg in a separate bowl.
  4. 4. Place the flour in another bowl.
  5. 5. Make an assembly line with the bowls. Dip the asparagus first into the flour, then the egg and finally into the bread crumb mixture, coating evenly and repeating with all the sticks.
  6. 6. Place all of the coated sticks on the baking sheet/rack. Arrange so they’re not touching, spray lightly with oil and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the bread crumbs are golden.
  7. 7. Serve with Weelicious Tomato Sauce
  8. *IF FREEZING: after step 5, place sticks on a baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes. Remove from freezer and place in a Ziploc bag. Label and freeze. When ready to eat – remove from freezer and put sticks in the oven, adding at least another 3-5 minutes baking time.

Accompaniments: Tomato Sauce

Italian Asparagus Sticks

Comments

1. Pingback: One New Food - Asparagus

2. Pingback: Side Dishes Your Kids Will Love — Sensational Sides | SHEKNOWSLATINO

3. Pingback: Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan Crust Recipe - Jeanette's Healthy Living

4. SaraO

December 31, 2012 at 1:45 pm

My son is allergic to egg. Any way these could be done without egg? They sound like so much fun; I know both of my boys wold love them!

January 2, 2013 at 10:55 am

The egg helps everything stick together! It would probably be okay to omit the egg. They just might be a little more delicate.

5. Sarah

September 9, 2012 at 5:55 pm

These will be supper tonight!

6. Kendra

July 12, 2012 at 1:51 am

Oh…my…goodness! I’m totally making these tomorrow!

And MAYBE I’ll share with my little guy & hubby :)

7. Canada

April 14, 2012 at 11:24 pm

These turned out absolutely fabulous! I called them “Asparagus Fries” for my 4 year old son and when we shared them he loved them too. We dipped them in a bit of ketchup. SO good!

• Canada

April 14, 2012 at 11:28 pm

By the way, Catherine, you seem to have terrific taste in food and design of great recipes as I have tried MANY of your recipes and every single one has come out delicious! Both my picky son and hubby love it. My 4 year old son loves watching Kenya in the kitchen with you and gets inspired.

8. Heather D

April 10, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Just tried this and it was sooooo tasty! The asparagus was easy to coat and bake. So funny I never saw this in any restaurants. Its always zucchini or green beans. I prefer this!

Yes, this would be perfect to serve at a party since the pieces are big… good finger food! THANKS FOR SHARING!

9. Jen Booth

April 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm

These sound great! I would be interested in seeing them done with a “gluten free” crust. Maybe rice chex cereal instead of the panko?

• Canada

April 14, 2012 at 11:26 pm

We used Kamut wheat free bread crumbs, not gluten free I think but at least wheat free.

10. willie

January 10, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I will try this recipe. My family has never tried asparagus, but this sounds yumie.:)

11. janer451

January 1, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I love this recipe … hoping eventually my son does too (he’s stuck on broccoli right now). Made them today using flaxseed/water sub for the eggs, since I found, after starting of course, that I didn’t have any eggs on hand. Worked great – just as yummy!

12. Pingback: swivel spice rack

13. meredith

May 27, 2011 at 5:59 pm

These were so easy and delicious. So crunchy! Another weelicious success!

14. Rebeca @ The Average Parent

March 15, 2011 at 9:57 pm

here in indiana, asparagus season is just around the corner and I think this would be a great way to take advantage of the bounty. I belong to a freezer cooking group that I think would love this idea too!

15. Alyssa

February 24, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I don’t know what the heck I did wrong here. I set my oven to 450 and they were burnt to a crisp within 10 minutes. =(

• Melissa

March 3, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Mine only take about 10-15 minutes — not anywhere near Catherine’s 30-35 minutes. I just keep an eye on them and pull them out when the coating turns golden brown.

February 24, 2011 at 2:37 pm

hmm, every oven is different. Try baking them at 400 and let me know how they turn out :)

16. Melissa

February 23, 2011 at 10:20 pm

The first time I made these, I vowed I would never make them again because it took FOREVER to run all of the sticks through my little assembly line. But then I tasted them, and they were so yummy!!

The second time I made them, I sped things up a lot by putting the different stations into gallon-size ziploc bags instead of bowls. I could put the whole bunch of asparagus in together into the flour and then the egg, and then did about 10 sticks at a time into the coating. SO MUCH FASTER, and no loss in quality!

17. Alina

January 31, 2011 at 12:51 am

We made these last week, they turned out perfect and my kids loved them and there was no coaxing needed. They were so nummy :)

18. Diane

December 22, 2010 at 7:00 pm

I can’t WAIT to try these!! We can’t do eggs or milk in our house. Any suggestions to what else we could use instead of the egg? I do have that fake egg substitute that I will try if no other suggestions.

Thank you!

December 23, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Let me know how the fake egg substitute goes!:)

19. Pingback: Italian Asparagus Sticks « Topicco – Find, Read, Share

20. retro sweets

December 14, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Wow, the only things I did with asparagus was to make them into soups or stir fries. Asparagus stick, now that’s a very unique idea. My toddler is a slow eater too and even if he will eat veggies because I remind him that it has vitamins, I really need a break from all the convincing and talking just to get hi to eat. I’ll go to the farmer’s market tomorrow and get asparagus.

21. ally

December 13, 2010 at 1:11 pm

yum! can’t wait to try these! i noticed that several of your recipes call for freezing before baking. what is the difference if i baked then freeze? i’ve done this with other recipes and the food still tastes great.

December 14, 2010 at 5:33 pm

You get a better outcome when you freeze before baking. Freezing baked veggies will not be as good as freezing fresh then baking. But if it works for you then right on!

22. Liz - Meal Makeover Mom

December 13, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Great looking recipe … and I loved your video. So easy. I am definitely going to try these with my family. Asparagus is always a favorite (maybe it’s because my boys can pick them up and eat them …. no fork required).

23. Emily @ Random Recycling

December 13, 2010 at 11:16 am

Great idea! My daughter, who is almost 2, LOVES asparagus. I’m looking forward to testing this out with her.

24. Kat

December 13, 2010 at 10:54 am

These look great for a party! Did you have any concern that the asparagus inside the coating would come out of the oven mushy?

December 14, 2010 at 5:37 pm

No, they were perfect!

25. Melissa

December 13, 2010 at 8:25 am

These sound similar to zucchini coins which my son loves. Adding a little crunch to the outside always makes him more likely eat something!

26. Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}

December 13, 2010 at 7:35 am

These look delicious! Another great recipe; thanks. :-)