Ranch Dip

A lot of parents tell me that they're close to giving up on their kids to eat their vegetables. I'm not saying that it's the easiest feat to accomplish, but when parents hang in there and make the extra effort, seeing their little one chomping down happily on a nutritious veggie is a very rewarding and satisfying experience. When I prepare vegetables for my kids (which is daily), I often try to utilize a bit of fun to encourage them to eat more then just one or two bites. I've got lots of veggie methods: I roast them up with a bit of maple syrup, slice them thin and bake up chips, add a sprinkle of zesty herbs, let the kids squirt something yummy on them like Braggs or even add a delicious dip.

When I was a kid, Ranch was one of my favorite dressings, but it usually came straight out of a store-bought squeeze bottle, loaded with additives. This weelicious Ranch Dip recipe recreates that great taste I used to love, but is incredibly fresh, healthy and just s creamy. If you're a parents who's had an uphill battle getting your kid to eat veggies, try serving up this recipe before dinner when the kids are really hungry and want something to munch on. You can put it out with an assortment of cut up veggies like carrots, cucumbers, bell peppers, cucumbers or sugar snap peas. I find that if I just start eating a bit on my own (without saying a thing to the kids), shortly after they are mimicking what I'm doing, dipping away and enjoying every last bite!

Ranch Dip  (Makes 1/3 Cup)

• 1/4 cup yogurt (i use greek yogurt)
  • 2 tablespoons vegansaise or mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • salt to taste

1. 1. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
Ranch Dip

Comments

1. Pingback: Colorful Lego Party: Adventures in Party Planning

2. Pingback: Homemade Ranch Dip | Delicious desserts recipes

3. Pingback: Real Food Meal Plan: June 10-16 | LiveSimply

4. aprilgaietto

April 26, 2013 at 10:13 am

I love this dip! It’s so tasty. Who know a few simple ingredients would make such a better ranch dip than store bought stuff. And so much healthier. Thanks for the great recipe:)

5. Pingback: Our (Real) Food Journey, Part 4: Making Real Food Work with a Plan | LiveSimply

6. Tammy

February 20, 2013 at 12:13 am

This ranch dressing is A-MAZE-ING! Holy yum fest! I needed a quick dip and I came across this. It was so incredibly tasty! I haven’t eaten ranch in forever because of all the garbage that goes into it, so what a pleasant surprise! I’ve been telling all of my friends and family about it. Thank you for returning ranch into my life. :)

7. Joanne

February 14, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Thank you! My kids love Ranch dressing, but it is so junky I have been trying to find an alternative.

8. Pingback: Family Food Resolutions: Goals to Get Us All Eating Better in 2013

9. Lisa

October 26, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Very tasty recipe but I had to sub the yogurt for sour cream since I didn’t have the greek yogurt in the house. Will try with yogurt next time. Very good as a dip for chicken fingers and veggies :-)

10. Pingback: Today’s lunch box « greener, healthier living

11. Pingback: Quick, Healthy Back-to-School Food Ideas & Tips for Moms | genConnect

12. Kassy

February 25, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I just made it and it tastes soo good. Next i’ll try it with non-dairy yogurt!

13. Fenella

October 24, 2011 at 1:00 am

So excited to try this. We are trying to avoid as much processed food as possible, but my kids (and myself) are huge ranch dressing fans. Will definitely be trying this. I bet it tastes much better than the store stuff!

14. Michelle

September 28, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Just made this for my daughter’s lunch veggie dip… so easy and tastes great to me. I asked my daughter what veggies she would eat in her lunch (I asked because most come home untouched), and she said “how about some broccoli with ranch… you know, the kind that you get from McDonald’s”?! So I consult weelicious :) I’ll let you know her review :) I hope one day she appreciates that I made her a healthy lunch everyday in her cool planet box.

15. Pingback: Follow-up: The Lunch Menu | Amy at the Table

16. Luise Nipps

June 24, 2011 at 9:54 am

The person(s) cashing the cheques

17. araç borç sorgulama

May 28, 2011 at 4:52 pm

you’re truly a excellent webmaster. The web site loading pace is incredible. It sort of feels that you’re doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork. you’ve performed a fantastic job on this topic!

18. Maggie

April 24, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Thank you for this wonderful recipe. It’s simplicity and fresh taste are spot-on. We’ve already made a second batch, and it’s certainly going to be added to our weekly repertoire. (My toddler loves it as much as we do).

19. Roger Moehrle

April 21, 2011 at 8:11 am

Real nice layout and excellent content , nothing at all else we require : D.

20. Lili H.

April 13, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Thank-you! My son loves ranch dressing but he has a HORRIBLE topical reaction to the store-bought stuff anywhere it touches. This gives him no reaction! (I used homemade yogurt ( http://girlsguidetobutter.com/2010/02/crock-pot-yogurt/ )and just put it in a strainer with cheesecloth in a bowl in the fridge to get a nice thick consistency).

21. Amy F.

February 25, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I make an effort to not buy bottled dressings at the store and haven’t had any ranch dressing in my mouth for a while. This dip is great! Not sure my picky toddler is ready for it yet, but his parents are.

22. Carla

January 31, 2011 at 8:36 pm

@JZ – You can make Greek yogurt from plain yogurt just by straining it through cheesecloth, am I right?

Thanks,

Carla : )

23. Sue

January 29, 2011 at 9:27 am

You mention roasting vegetable in maple syrup. I would love a recipe for that? What temperature? And do you add anything other than maple syrup? Also, what vegetables do you suggest?

24. JZ

January 28, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I cannot speak for her but in my opinion it is bc Greek yogurt is thick and creamy and really good, while also being good for you! you could compare it to the consistency of sour cream with much less fat and all of the pro-biotic benefits of yogurt. it is not as “tangy” as traditional plain yogurt. give it a try! Oh! and it is also great to marinate meat in. The acidity will tenderize just about any cut of meat (and you can rinse of the yogurt before grilling, etc. if you like). :-)

25. Carla

January 27, 2011 at 7:07 pm

May I ask why you prefer Greek yogurt? I’ve noticed it has been your preference in a number of recipes.

Thanks : )

Carla

26. Deann

January 26, 2011 at 1:32 pm

ok I’m a pretty picky ranch dressing eater, hate the store bought stuff, love the restaurant stuff. I have a recipe that is ok, but this one is pretty good! I think the lemon juice and little bit of dijon make it perfect.

27. Catherine

January 26, 2011 at 11:42 am

Can Kefir be used?

January 27, 2011 at 11:53 am

I don’t see why not! It might be a little watery than using yogurt but I’m sure it will be fine :)

28. Lacey

January 25, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I am going to make this for sure but for me and the husband :-) that’s what I love about all of your recipes, they are both kid and adult friendly!

29. Tiffany

January 25, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I am a big fan of the garlicky-stays on your breath for hours variety of restaurant ranch and I’ve found that I can make it at home for tons fewer calories using low fat sour cream and non-fat buttermilk. I add dill, minced onion, garlic, salt and mustard powder. Sometimes I add a little parmesan cheese to thicken it some. My daughter, who’s a picky ranch eater, too, loves it. I need to try it with the yogurt. Great post! A friend turned me on to your site and I can’t wait to peruse it!

30. Lori

January 25, 2011 at 5:15 pm

This is awesome! How does it compare to the taste of store bought ranch? Thanks!

31. Maha

January 25, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Awesome! I’ve been looking for a simple ranch dressing recipe. My 2.5-year-old will eat anything with ranch dressing, and yes, I usually just give it to her out of the store-bought squeeze bottles. It’s how I can get her to eat many veggies and even fish!

32. Julie

January 25, 2011 at 9:11 am

Have you tried this with non-dairy yogurt? What would you recommend? We usually buy Silk soy yogurt.

January 27, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Silk soy yogurt would work as well :)

33. Peggy

January 25, 2011 at 4:21 am

How long can this be kept in the fridge?

• Evgenii

February 3, 2014 at 1:32 am

For dry foods, I would suggest Innova Evo, Wellness Core or Nature’s Variety Instincts. They are grslineas which means they’ll have less carbs and don’t have any of the allergens found in most other dry foods (corn, wheat or soy).For canned foods, there are tons of good ones out there. One very good one is Nature’s Variety Instincts. This is what I feed. It’s $1.79 per can. I think it’s one of the highest priced canned foods out there. Which DOESN’T mean it’s the best, but it is very good and it has worked very very well for my problem child.See the What to feed link for other suggestions. This is a very handy link you can go to the sites and use the store locators to find where the food is sold in your area.I’m also linking you to my blog so you can learn more about identifying other good foods.EDIT: I think kanan meant to say that it’s good you’re switching to CANNED. LOL

January 27, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I would keep it up to a week or two :)

• Katie

January 27, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I just made this – it is wonderful!!! Thanks!

• Katie

January 27, 2011 at 9:45 am

I would also like to know how long this would last in the fridge… Any ideas?

January 27, 2011 at 11:43 am

This will be good for up to a week or even two. The more it sits the better the flavors marinade together :)