Raspberry Cream Cheese Heart Tarts

I'm one of those people who loves everything about Valentine's Day (you may be saying, "blech" right now, but I do). Well, I'm not particularly fond of how commercial the holiday has become, but I do love all the hugs, kisses, homemade cards and, of course, sweet treats! While you can easily buy your Valentine a bag of sweet tarts with cute sayings printed on them, why not go to the store, buy fresh ingredients and then make something special with your kids instead? This year, Kenya, Chloe and I have decided to make Raspberry Cream Cheese Heart Tarts for daddy (I hope he doesn't read this post before the 14th) to show him just how much we love him. After all, isn't food the fastest way to a daddy's heart?

Putting a spin on Pop Tarts, one of my childhood favorites, I came up with the idea of these homemade Heart Tarts. Filled with fresh raspberries and a pink icing that's made with the juice from the raspberries instead of food coloring, if Pop Tarts had actually been made this way, my mom would have probably allowed me to eat them more often as a kid.

Kenya and I shot a little video of us making this recipe which I'm posting this Friday, but in case you can't wait that long, I've printed how to prepare them below. It's an unbelievably easy and deliciously fun way to share the love. Just wait till you try them -- I bet you won't be saying "blech" anymore!

Raspberry Cream Cheese Heart Tarts  (Makes 10-11 Heart Tarts)

• 1/2 cup raspberries
  • 1/4 cup whipped cream cheese
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 1 double pie crust recipe or 1 14 oz pre-made pie crust*
  • water
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 10 raspberries for icing or 2 tbsp juiced raspberries
  • 1 tablespoon milk or water

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. 2. Place the raspberries, cream cheese and honey in a bowl. Using the back of a fork, mash the raspberries with the cream cheese, leaving some pieces of raspberry intact.
  3. 3. Roll the pie crust 1/4 inch thick and using a heart shaped cookie cutter (my heart cookie cutter is about the size of my fist), cut out hearts (or, if you are using packaged pie crust just unroll and cut out hearts).
  4. 4. Place one heart on a lightly floured work surface and place 2 tsp of the cream cheese mixture in the very center, leaving a 1/4″ border around the cut-out.
  5. 5. Lightly dip your index finger into a cup of water and “brush” the border with the water (this will allow the two sides of the heart to adhere to one another).
  6. 6. Top with another heart and take the tines of a fork and gently press down along the edges to adhere (making sure the cream cheese mixture stays inside the heart pocket). With a toothpick, poke some holes in the top of the heart to remove any air pockets.**
  7. 7. Place on a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
  8. 8. While the hearts are baking, take 10 raspberries, place in a strainer and press down with the back of a spoon to release raspberry juice into a bowl — should be about 2 tbsp of juice depending on how juicy the raspberries are.
  9. 9. Whisk in the milk and slowly pour in the powdered sugar to make icing.
  10. 10. When cool, take a spoon and spread the raspberry icing over the hearts.
  12. * You can use prepared Pie Crusts too such as Pillsbury or your favorite brand
  13. ** To Freeze: place hearts on a cookie sheet and freeze for one hour. Remove hearts and place in a ziploc bag, label and freeze up to 3 months. When ready follow steps 7-11, adding an extra 3 minutes to the baking time.
Raspberry Cream Cheese Heart Tarts

Comments

1. jln1705

August 20, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I made these today as a surprise for my daughters 1st day of 3rd grade. She and her friends loved them. I did to even though I don’t care for raspberries. I have blueberries to try a version for my husband this weekend. Thank you for the recipe.

2. Pingback: Valentine’s Day Baking Fail – a Cautionary Tale | Making Miss Chef

3. Kat Driscoll Barlow

February 12, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Catherine,
    How long will these keep in the fridge? Can I make today for Thursday or better to wait until tomorrow 2/13 to make for Valentines Day?

February 12, 2013 at 2:18 pm

They’ll keep for several days, but I would make them the night before so they’re as fresh as possible!

4. Pingback: 12 Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day with Your Kids « UrbanSitter

5. Pingback: Raspberry Valentine’s Tarts «

6. Neandermom

December 23, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I’m making these from the cookbook – I can’t wait for these to be done, my daughter has been asking for them for weeks! BTW the crust recipe doesn’t say when to add the honey. I added it in at the end.

December 26, 2012 at 1:42 pm

The honey in this recipe gets mixed in with the raspberries and cream cheese! In the pie dough recipe, the honey is mixed with water and brushed onto the top and edges of the tarts for the apple butter tarts! That is in step 7 and 8!

7. Julie

February 14, 2012 at 10:19 pm

My favorite Weelicious treat so far!

8. Amanda

February 13, 2012 at 11:12 am

These were great! My almost three year old and I made them together and aside from the spillage there isn’t a significant difference between mine and hers. I helped her to press the edges but that was about all I had to do. You also dont need to be very careful about the filling spilling out because it peels off of the dough easily when they are done baking They are equally delicious! We will definitely be making these again. Thanks for the recipie!

9. jennellen

February 13, 2012 at 1:22 am

Made these as an early Valentine treat & we all LOVED them! So cute, so quick, so easy, so delish! Followed the recipe to a T, BUT they were perfectly done at 15 min. Made 8 as my heart shape cutter is quite large. Tasted like strudel :) Thanks for the great idea!

10. Pingback: estate engagement rings

11. Pingback: The Mamas’ Link Round-Up *Valentine’s Day Edition* « Those Young Moms

12. Lesley

February 2, 2012 at 10:45 am

does the icing harden? I’m looking for an icing to use on some cookies for my son’s birthday party and this looks perfect.

February 2, 2012 at 11:12 am

It does harden. It is basically royal icing, like what you use to decorate gingerbread men! Enjoy!

13. Kristina

January 29, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Just wanted to tell you how much we LOVED these!

Made them by the recipe with my son earlier in the week (cooked only :17 and still over-done). We made them this weekend with our niece visiting. Used blueberries & strawberries in the filling and cooked for :15 and they were PERFECT!!

14. Cheryl

January 13, 2012 at 1:20 am

Thank you! You just relieved my guilt issue around not letting my little one experience one of my fun childhood treats! These ones have such great ingredients I plan to make up a batch asap! Nice work!

15. sarah

January 1, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Quick question, I noticed the recipe says 1/4 c cream cheese, but on the “program” it says 1/2 c cream cheese. Just wondering which is better to use? Also, the recipe says to add milk or water to the icing, but it wasn’t mentioned in the program..I’m assuming to use it, yes? Thanks! Can’t wait to taste them, they look yummy!

16. Pingback: Toaster Sale

17. Pingback: weight loss

18. Katie Trumbauer

May 23, 2011 at 2:35 pm

So good, my daughter and I made these this afternoon, and it was so easy!!! So much better tasting than pop tarts!!!

19. Pingback: Yum! Easy to Make Valentine’s Day Treats from Weelicious | Mystars.at

20. Pingback: My Little Helper | Non Est Ad Astra Mollis E Terris Via.

21. Heather

February 17, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Thank you so much for this fun and yummy recipe. I’m pregnant with my 2nd baby and I have wanted pop tarts but didn’t want to eat the store bought kind. Hubby really liked them too!

22. Anita Sullivan

February 17, 2011 at 1:18 pm

De.Lish.

Loved them! Made just past Valentine’s Day, so between that and my boys not being into hearts, I used a sandwich press to cut circles and also used it to crimp the edges. Made it even more simple!

23. Andrea

February 16, 2011 at 4:28 pm

This hearts not only came out beautiful but delicious too , thanks again Catherine! :)

24. HCinKC

February 15, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I made these last night. Instead of raspberries, I used lemon juice with a dot of red food coloring for the icing. It was a great pair with the raspberry filling. My husband really enjoyed them! I think I will try strawberry filling next time. Yum!

25. Elodie

February 15, 2011 at 8:41 am

Hi, I live in France where cream cheese does not exist, does anyone have an idea what I could use instead? Would cottage cheese work?
    I love weelicious and try a lot of recipes, but sometimes it’s really hard (or impossible) to find the right ingredients…

• Melanie

February 14, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Maybe quark?

• Muhammad

February 2, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Hi crumb boss I just want to say I love your show I watch it every night before I go to bed and in the monring before school. I’m only 13 and tell my other friends who love to bake to watch your show and they love it too. And I just wanted to say hi:)

• Daphne

February 12, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Creme fraiche?

• Raden

February 3, 2014 at 10:50 pm

My first visit here looks like a great site. I’ll look forward to renntriug and reading your articles!I’ve posted a potato salad that qualifies as seriously healthy but satisfying and delicious with potatoes, red kidney beans, asparagus, greens, shallots, herbs, and lemon!

February 15, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Neufchâtel cheese is very similar to cream cheese :)

• Elodie

February 16, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Thank you so much for your replies! I will probably try the mascarpone for this recipe. The “official” Neufchatel cheese looks like a heart-shaped camembert, so I guess you had another one in mind… I will keep looking! ;)

• HCinKC

February 15, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Yeah, I would think mascarpone or possibly ricotta would work.

• ashlea mask

February 15, 2011 at 11:07 am

maybe mascarpone?

26. marlo

February 14, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Great recipe. I made the pie dough the night before (Joy of cooking) and the nanny made these today with my 2 year old. Turned out fantastic!! We didn’t use “whipped” cream cheese. The regular stuff worked fine.

27. Angela

February 14, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I made these last night for a surprise breakfast treat for my kids. They were so yummy. I used frozen mixed berries and the juice turned the icing a beautiful dark pink. Thanks again Catherine for another great recipe.

28. Michelle

February 13, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I made these tonight! I substituted frozen strawberries and they were super yummy! My husband said he wished they could fit more filling but still really liked them! Thanks for the recipe!

29. Dina

February 12, 2011 at 7:07 pm

cute and they sound delish!

30. Pingback: weekend valentines kids craft & raspberry heart tarts recipe {dye free} | {NATURAL} MOMMIE

31. Pingback: Yum! Easy to Make Valentine’s Day Treats from Weelicious

32. Shannon

February 11, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Could I omit the honey or use something instead of honey? I have a 14 month old and I am a little nervous using the honey?!?!

33. Melissa B

February 11, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Will they turn out without the honey? I want to make these for daycare but some kids are still under 2 and aren’t supposed to have it.

February 11, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Yes :) The honey just gives it an extra sweetness but you will be fine.

• Choirun

February 4, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I read your comment on The Poet’s blog and when I saw “Ancient One” I thghout I would check it out! I have five great grandchildren so I guess that makes me beyond ancient, whatever that is! I have been blogging about three months. Before that I didn’t even know what a blog was. I, too, like to read blogs. . too much, really. I need to work out some kind of system. I was posting every day but decided to only post once a week. Much better!I, too, love Corrie ten Boom’s books.Interesting about the foil tab. I don’t remember seeing it either.mary

• Amanda

February 14, 2011 at 11:36 am

I actually used a little bit Agave Nectar instead of honey. Delish!

34. Amanda

February 10, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I made these on Tuesday of this week. My son helped me make them for my girlfriend who was keeping him for me while I was at a doctor’s appointment. We had too much fun making them and they turned out A-MAZING! So delish, and my girlfriend’s family gobbled them up! Thanks for the recipe and the adorable idea. I can’t wait to make them again this weekend.

35. Michelle

February 9, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I made these this morning (well, I grated a granny smith apple and tossed some brown sugar and cinnamon over it for the filling) — came out so cute! Thanks for such a cute idea!!!

36. LEW

February 9, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Does the honey go in with the cream cheese and raspberries for the filling?

37. Amanda cowan

February 9, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I bet you could use just a teeny bit of sweetener in the cream cheese mixture and skip the frosting. I think then you’d be able to easily freeze them and maybe reheat in the toaster?? I cannot wait to make these!!

February 9, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I’m sure you could freeze them and cook in a toaster on a low setting for 10ish minutes.

38. Jessica Lane

February 9, 2011 at 10:36 am

You did it again! LOVE your recipes and am so happy to have a tasty and sweet alternative using REAL ingredients! SO much better than the usual suspects!

Jessica

39. Alison @ Hospitality Haven

February 8, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Very cute (and tasty too, I imagine!)!

40. Daisy P

February 8, 2011 at 6:50 pm

ditto on the non-dairy. any v-day vegan recipes coming in?

February 9, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I’ve been working on a bunch of dessert recipes for the book and several happen to be vegan. So good!

41. Renee Koijane

February 8, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Ditto on the frozen strawberries substitution. Will this work?

42. Sara

February 8, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Any ideas for substituting the cream cheese with something non-dairy? Thanks!

• Kelsey

February 25, 2011 at 12:19 am

I just left the cream cheese out for half of my batch (hubby doesn’t like Cream cheese) and they were fine!

• Sue

February 9, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I would also use pie filling like Cherry, Apple, or any kind of Pie filling…Thought Cherry though being it’s red like a heart…Great ideal…

• Ahmet

February 5, 2014 at 1:42 am

Thanks for visiting my blog. I read yours with ietsrent. I’m sure the fire situation natiowide is going to be really bad this year. The mountain town where I live has an evacuation plan in place because of all the dead trees from a 10 years drought. We just say a little prayer each night. Have a great week.Judy

• Page

February 8, 2011 at 9:21 pm

You could use the vegan cream cheese. Tofutti makes one.

• Jen

February 8, 2011 at 6:58 pm

You might try any fruit filling you’d use for a pie in place of the dairy filling :) This recipe reminds me that I’ve been wanting to make pocket pies for some time now.

43. Colleen

February 8, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Do you really need 1.5 c. of powdered sugar for only 3T of liquid? Also when does the honey go in? These look YUMMY!

February 9, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Sadly yes. If you know me, you know that I cut back on the sugar as much as possible. You could also leave it off altogether and they’re still yummy!

44. shauna

February 8, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Any ideas how to make them without the powdered sugar or with much less sweetner in general?

• Daphne

February 12, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Try powdered milk unplaced of the powdered sugar.

• Emily

February 8, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I would think if you put the honey in the cream cheese then skipped the frosting all together you’d cut out most of the sugar (and mess if you are transporting them)

45. Karesse

February 8, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Hi! What an absolutely adorable treat. I was just wondering about the honey, it didn’t say where it goes in the recipe.
    And also how to keep the fresh and soft if I make them a day in advance. (there is cream cheese and milk in the recipe- will it spoil if I put them in a sealed container? thank you for sharing! They look amazing! =)

46. Terri

February 8, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Oh!! I am so happy to see these beautiful heart tarts! These will be great party treats at my daughter’s birthday party this weekend. Thank you for the recipe. Happy Valentines Day Catherine!

47. Allyson

February 8, 2011 at 9:51 am

What a cute idea! Do these need to be stored in the fridge since it’s made w/ cream cheese and there is milk in the icing? Lastly, is the honey added to the cream cheese mixture?

February 9, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I refrigerated them after 1 day. I added the honey in the instructions :)

• Serkan

February 4, 2014 at 4:31 am

Hello, I ha be not been near a blog for such a long time and boy was it worth the wait. Your blog is so refreshing and of cosrue delicious! After reading the blueberry lemon pie recipe I immediately downed tools hit the local fruit market for some delicious blueberries and made the pie. Thank you for sharing this yum recipe , my family relished in its sweetness last night.

48. Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}

February 8, 2011 at 8:36 am

These are super cute!

49. Lisa

February 8, 2011 at 8:18 am

Are you posting a pie crust recipe, too? Just wondering, because we don’t use the Pillsbury one because of Red Dye #40 listed in the ingredients. Thanks!

• ashlea mask

February 12, 2011 at 8:25 am

I know……..went to buy premade and there was red dye in it! Honestly. why? Everything doesn’t have to be the ‘perfect’ color!

February 9, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I just added a link to my favorite pie crust for the recipe

50. Rebecca

February 8, 2011 at 7:27 am

These sound delicious and easy! But I’m a little confused about the honey you have in the ingredients but not the recipe. Thanks!

February 9, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Woops, I just wrote it in!

• Eriko

February 4, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Sonia, I LOVE you little tarts! So cute!! I bet you feel so much beettr being able to organize your baking things on those new shelves too =D

51. Aline

February 8, 2011 at 3:31 am

Thanks for the recipe. Just wondering if I can substitute frozen or fresh strawberries for the rasberries??

thanks!