Mexican Lasagna

Mexican Lasagna

Yum

Few are the holidays I don't get excited about -- especially when food is involved. Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican holiday that’s actually more widely observed here in the U.S. than it is in Mexico. Making something special with your kids to commemorate it is a great opportunity to teach them about Mexican culture as well as get them involved in the kitchen. In preparation for this year’s Cinco de Mayo, I made my version of Mexican Lasagna. Layered with rows of tortillas, chicken, cheese and salsa, it's the perfect recipe for feeding a crowd. I made so much when I tested this recipe that the kids ate it for two days in a row...and they loved it.

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Mexican Lasagna  (Serves 6-8)

• cooking oil spray
  • 6 corn tortillas, cut into quarters
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup mild chunky salsa
  • 1 pound chicken breast, cooked and shredded
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, half inch cubed
  • 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 cups mexican cheese blend (or a blend of monterey jack and mild cheddar), divided

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 F°.
  2. 2. Place the quartered tortillas on an oil sprayed baking sheet, then spray the tops with additional oil.
  3. 3. Bake for 5 minutes, remove and set aside.
  4. 4. In a large bowl, whisk one egg. Add the milk, sour cream, salsa, shredded chicken, cubed cream cheese, cilantro, scallions and salt. Stir to combine.
  5. 5. Arrange half of the par-baked tortillas on the bottom of an oil sprayed 7×11 baking dish. Layer half the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas, then layer 1 cup of the cheese blend on top.
  6. 6. Continue to layer the rest of the tortillas on top, followed by the remaining chicken mixture and cheese.
  7. 7. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes.
Mexican Lasagna

Comments

1. Pingback: Meal Plan – September Week 5/October Week 1 | Soul Munchies

2. Pingback: September Meal Plan – Week 2 | Soul Munchies

3. MT

August 24, 2014 at 11:56 pm

This is so crazy delicious and easy! Cooking the chicken in the crockpot ahead of time made the chicken so moist and easy to shred. No need to add any spices or liquid to the chicken!

4. Pingback: Wheat Free Mexican Lasagna | Ginny's Healthy Kitchen

5. Sandy B

July 12, 2013 at 11:38 pm

We love this recipe!

6. abarwinski

January 29, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I made this last night and it was delicious and a big hit with everyone including my three year old. Also added some extra cheese & topped it with black olives sprinkled on the top before baking. Weelicious is always my go to site or I’ll look in the cookbook which I love.

7. brei

December 29, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Loved this! I added black beans so delicious! Thank you!

8. Pingback: Fashion For Women and Beauty Tips Hairstyles

9. Pingback: kho ca du

10. Pingback: strong vpn

11. Pingback: Mousaka

12. Pingback: Seduction Guide For Men

13. luxury crackers

November 12, 2011 at 9:38 am

Thanks for some other great article. The place else could anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect manner of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I’m on the look for such information.

14. Tracy

November 5, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I made this last night, increased the size of the pan to a 9×13 and added in loads of beans, corn and other veggies (and a little extra salsa. It was delicious! And, my 14 month old actually ate the chicken – a first! Thanks for the recipe!

15. Aicha

October 17, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I made this the the other night and my husband ate it for 3 days. Then asked me to make it again. Today I split the re ipe up into three 5 inch round disposable pans (small pans). I was going to bake one for him, bake one to freeze, then freeze one unbaked to see which was better. I put all 3 in the oven accidentally. So I’ll give one to my neighbor and freeze the other and see how that turns out. I think it would be better to freeze it unbaked, though

16. Pingback: Fake Out | twenty-three and gluten free

17. Pingback: Mexican lasagna – We got fed

18. Traci

August 11, 2011 at 10:11 am

Made this last night and it was excellent. I grated in almost an entire zucchini as well, and hubby and kiddo were none the wiser! I also omitted the milk due to the extra liquid from the zucchini. I think next time I will add a little bit of black beans and some corn to bulk it up and stretch the meal. Sadly there was only one piece left after hubs was through!

19. Laurie

July 10, 2011 at 12:43 pm

This recipe is amazing! I made it with ground beef instead of chicken and it turned out great. My husband cannot stop talking about it and my toddler devoured it. Thanks!

20. Ginger

June 20, 2011 at 2:43 pm

To freeze this recipe, would you bake first or freeze and bake when thawed? Hoping to make several of these to put in the freezer. Thanks!

21. Laura

May 25, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I couldn’t find corn tortillas! Debating on using homemade flour ones or tortilla chips. Maybe both!

22. Dea

May 17, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Thanks for the fantastic recipe! To save a bit of time I used a rotisserie chicken instead of cooking the chicken. The result, delicious!

23. MA

May 15, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Fantastic! Made this for Cinco de Mayo and it as a hit! Delicious for the adults and the kids! Yum!

24. Jen

May 9, 2011 at 11:24 am

“It’s awesome!” my husband said last night as he wolfed down the first serving and then went back for seconds and thirds. This was a fantastic review from a Mexican-American husband to an Irish-American wife who has previously struggled to cook Mexican food that meets his tastes.

Thank you for another successfully recipe that will surely go into the regular rotation in our house :)

25. Brandan WH

May 9, 2011 at 8:13 am

I mad this for Cinco de Mayo and was amazed at how quick and easy this dish was! I try to have dinner done before my 18 month old comes home from day care, but the stars were not alligning that day. Nevertheless, from start to finish, it only took 40 minutes of which 5 were hands on! And to say that the left-overs taste even better would be an understatement. Thanks for all of the great recipes. I think I’ve tried 10 and all have been winners!

26. Christine

May 8, 2011 at 7:41 pm

This was good. I normally like spicier things but it was perfect for my 17 month old who has become really picky lately and ate it up!

27. Rose

May 6, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Made this for dinner tonight and LOVED it! I subbed flour tortillas (that’s right-I am not ashamed for liking those better than corn or whole wheat ;-)

28. Sarah L

May 6, 2011 at 9:53 am

I made a double batch of this the other night with some modifications because we are vegetarian (added corn and beans instead of chicken) and took one pan to a friend that just had a baby. She, her husband and her 2 year old loved it and called me immediately for the recipe. Thanks!

29. Fenella

May 5, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Made this today and not only was it yummy, but my kids ate it too!! Thanks for sharing this!

30. allyson

May 5, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Made this tonight. It was so quick, easy and most important LOVED by everyone in our house! This will be a frequent dish. Thanks for another great recipe!

31. Angela

May 5, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Thanks for reminding me of an old favorite recipe. We are trying your version tonight. I’m sure it will be a hit.

32. Allie

May 4, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Is the egg necessary? I have a son with an egg allergy. Is there a substitute ?

• Jenn

June 11, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I had the same question and for the same reason. My kiddo also has an egg allergy and I’m always looking for good eggless receipes.

Thanks.

• Traci

August 11, 2011 at 10:13 am

You can try ground flax seed (1 tbsp mixed with 3 tbsp water). Or maybe even leave it out altogether.

33. Jen

May 4, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Do you think you can put this together the night before and then let it sit in the fridge or will the mixture soak too much into the tortillas?

May 4, 2011 at 4:47 pm

No, I think it would be just fine :)

34. Zo's Mommy

May 4, 2011 at 11:47 am

Looks yum..and it is Gluten Free..YAY!

35. lindey

May 4, 2011 at 2:31 am

i had some left over crockpot chicken (one of my favorite weelicious discoveries, btw) and made myself a personal carb free version of this tonight leaving out the tortillas.
    oh my word! it was absolutely divine!!

• Jennifer

May 5, 2011 at 8:58 am

Would LOVE your low-carb version of this. I try to stay away from flour or corn tortillas.

36. Jojo

May 3, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I also make a variation with black beans, corn, veggie crumbles, spanish rice made with brown rice, and enchilada sauce. Yum, yum!

37. yeni

May 3, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I make a version of Mexican lasagna similar to this one, but with the addition of zucchini, black beans, and corn, as well as some spices. It’s a very versatile recipe and loved by everyone.

38. Carolyn

May 3, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Do you think using whole wheat tortillas would work well?

May 4, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Corn tortilla break a part more easily than whole wheat or flour, but I don’t think it would be a problem :)

• Rebecca

May 3, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I used whole wheat tortillas and it was just fine! Really yummy!

39. Jessica

May 3, 2011 at 9:13 am

When you need cooked chicken for your recipes, such as this one, what is your preferred method for cooking the chicken? Thanks.

May 4, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I would either steam the chicken or you can even put it in the oven and cover and bake :)

• Rebecca

May 3, 2011 at 10:01 am

a really good way to get shredded chicken is to cook it in a crockpot for a few hours, it just falls apart!

40. lindsay

May 3, 2011 at 9:04 am

I cant believe you did use greek yogurt :) I think i’ll be making some substitutions, like greek yogurt, and adding a few more veggies to this dish. A great way to use up left over chicken too!

• Laurie

April 2, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I used plain yogurt (regular nonfat, not Greek) in place of the sour cream, and it worked great!

41. Brandan WH

May 3, 2011 at 8:30 am

Printing this out now and looking forward to serving it! My parents will be visiting this week, so perfect dish for a group!

42. tada! shop

May 3, 2011 at 5:18 am

cinco de mayo is my daughter’s birthday and i have been looking for a dish to make! thank you, this is perfect! we are doing make your own tacos for her party with friends but might be making this there too.

43. CuteEverything

May 3, 2011 at 12:33 am

Nice and simple enchiladas! Love it!

44. Tracy

May 3, 2011 at 12:19 am

Yum! Do you think this would freeze well? Thanks.

• Chantal

May 6, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I’ve frozen a similar recipe once and I thought it was fine. As long as you don’t keep it in the freezer for too long (maybe up to 3 months). And make sure to put it in an oven ready dish. Let it thaw a bit before you warm up or leave it in the oven longer to make sure it’s cooked through.

• Katie Morris

May 3, 2011 at 9:34 am

I am wondering the same thing.