Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

One of the very first recipes I made when I was younger was banana bread. I loved peeling the bananas, smashing them in a bowl, dumping and stirring in the rest of the ingredients and just making something so easy and delicious. Everyone I offered it to always seemed to love it (which made me feel good). Those early experiences are probably one of the reasons I loved baking so much. Even as a kid, I found that when people responded positively to my cooking, it made me want to cook even more. The same is true today.

As long as you have ripe, sweet bananas, this is a fool proof recipe, even for people who rarely bake. I adapted my original recipe for muffins, which I find are more appealing for little hands, and added chocolate chips as a special treat. I guarantee the same great feeling I still have offering these to friends and family will happen for you too!

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins  (Makes 12 regular muffins)

• 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup honey or agave nectar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips*

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
  2. 2. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl.
  3. 3. In a separate bowl, whisk the honey, egg, milk, oil, and mashed bananas.
  4. 4. Slowly combine the dry ingredients into the wet, and then stir in the chocolate chips.
  5. 5. Pour batter into greased or lined muffin cups, about 2/3 of the way up, and bake for 18 minutes.
  6. 6. Cool and serve.**
  7. * You can replace the chocolate chips with chopped nuts or dried fruit if desired.
  8. ** Place muffins in labeled bags to freeze for up to 3 months.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

Comments

1. Meg P

August 31, 2014 at 7:29 am

My girls inhale these when I make them! Could you make these with whole wheat flour?

2. Pingback: School lunches ~ Round up and giveaway | Lil Runner

3. Lisa

August 23, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Yum! Glad I read through the variations people did before I prepared them. I too upped the banana and used applesauce instead of oil. I used Almond milk instead of cow’s milk and added a little vanilla. I sprayed the mini muffin pan and they came out no problem.

4. Annick

August 4, 2014 at 12:30 pm

How does the recipe change if you use the nestle mini morsels?

5. heathdan

July 12, 2014 at 5:23 am

I make these every week for my 3 yr old twins! I make mini muffins and use mini chocolate chips!

6. JudiAU

June 22, 2014 at 12:54 pm

My children love this recipe and it has traveled to school for elementary school parties many, many times. I do make a few modifications. I add at least one extra T of oil because the muffins are so low in fat they are tough and chewy without it. They freeze better too Also, healthy fats are important for growth. I also use a block of chocolate and chop it up. The kids like the variety of big and small pieces and the chocolate flavor is more pronounced. I only use 1/2 of bittersweet and that is more than enough. And don’t overbake!

7. Amber

May 19, 2014 at 1:09 pm

These are very yummy but I felt that 2/3 cup milk is too much I thought the batter was runny any one else feel that way? Will be making these again trying 1/2 cup milk!

8. Karen S.

March 28, 2014 at 6:24 pm

I made these today and love them. Thanks for the great recipe!!

9. Chantel

October 26, 2013 at 11:30 am

I have made these a few times for my daughter and she loves them. I don’t. They always turn out chewy, is that normal?

10. Sarah H.

September 9, 2013 at 9:42 am

Made these this morning with spelt flour, coconut oil and rice milk. I accidentally left out the salt and these were still delicious! Great, adjustable recipe. Thanks!

11. Lori B.

August 29, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Made in unlined stainless steel mini muffin pan wiped with grapeseed oil and a paper towel. Fell out after the pan cooled. These would be yummy without chocolate or use mini chocolate chips, add nuts, you can do all sorts of stuff with this base recipe. :)

12. erin

August 12, 2013 at 7:56 pm

My 3 yr old and I are absolutely addicted to these. I tyically make mini muffins and freeze them and they are gone in a week. The tip about pam I the muffin trays is a MUST otherwise the wrappers stick to the muffins. A sneaky addition is shredded zucchini and ground chia. The zucchini makes it extra moist. I also use rice milk and vegan chocolate chips. Still delicious for those off of dairy. .

13. amy

July 31, 2013 at 6:52 am

Can I use whole wheat flour instead of all purpose? Can I use coconut oil instead of canola? Thanks!

July 31, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Yes you can use both of those substitutes. The consistency and flavor of the finished recipe will be different!

14. Kassy

March 28, 2013 at 8:38 am

I added frozen cranberries instead of the chocolate chips, i added a few more bananas, I also added cinnamon and nutmeg, and i used pure local maple syrup instead of honey. I made them in loaf form. They were awesome!

15. Maureen Murphy

February 19, 2013 at 11:31 am

Just made these. Made a few changes because of what we had in the cupboards. Used coconut oil, coconut milk, brown rice syrup, and added a good spoonful of almond butter. This is such a forgiving and delicous recipe. Thank you!

16. Azure

January 13, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I made these for guests and WHOOPS! forgot the oil. It didn’t matter – my guests all still loved it! Thanks for the yummy recipe!

• ArTer

January 31, 2014 at 11:12 pm

While I answered via email to this cmmeont, I thought I should post here as well!For the rosemary, I used dried rosemary and about a 1/4tsp but really you can use as much as you’d like, fresh or dried!

17. Kris

January 5, 2013 at 8:35 am

Made these yesterday and they were delicious! Used “Better for Bread” whole wheat flour and they came out fluffy and light. Daughter loved them! A keeper!

18. Sandy

November 13, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Your recipes takes so delicious

19. erica90250

November 9, 2012 at 11:22 am

Thanks Catherine- my 4 year old was tired of the breakfast pancake waffle eggs rotation- he loves all your muffins! Has 2 with milk every morning!

20. Heather D

October 29, 2012 at 9:45 am

These are DELICIOUS! My twin 2-year olds loved them for breakfast today. Even the picky one was interested! It was a great way to not lose the bunch bananas that I had too! I loved that I used agave instead of sugar too! Catherine, thanks so much for another great recipe!

21. Pingback: Fall: 10 Things « Joy, Lovely Joy

22. Pingback: Catherine McCord's Keys To The Kitchen | Aida Mollenkamp

23. stacie

August 10, 2012 at 10:26 pm

just made these, my variations were to use wholemeal flour, just over a cup of butter milk, I added a couple of tablespoons of chia seed and i tried using unsalted butter to combat the sticking to the paper problem but that didn’t work. Despite that, though, they are delicious

24. Nellie

July 30, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Can I add cocoa powder to make these Chocolate Banana muffins? If so, how much cocoa should I add? Will the recipe have to be altered?

25. Liz

June 28, 2012 at 5:12 am

Looks great! Ok to make batter nite before refrigerate then bake in the morning?

June 28, 2012 at 11:49 am

That should be okay. Just let it come to room temperature before baking!

26. Pingback: Balanced and Energized | Lil Runner

27. Pingback: dubturbo

28. Kassy

February 28, 2012 at 11:41 am

I just made this recipe but altered it. I doubled it. I used half ww flour and 1/2 all purpose. I used 6 bananas, I used maple syrup, and I used almond milk. I added all aspice, i didnt add chocolate chips and i made them in loaf tins. It turned out great!!

29. RubyBlaise

February 13, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Amazed how QUICKLY I made these!! So delish!! Used agave, might try honey next time :)

30. Laura

February 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm

These are SO yummy and really easy! Thank you for sharing!

31. Kimberly

January 24, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I just pulled these out of the oven and they are divine! I used 1 cup of AP flour and half a cup of whole wheat flour. I can’t wait for my little dudes to wake up in the morning so they can try their mini-muffins! I love that the sweetener is honey and not white sugar. Thanks for another fabulous recipe!

32. Michelle Hill

January 4, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I used coarsely ground walnuts instead of chipes and sub’d 1/2 c oat bran for 1/2 cup of the flour. I also used the “whole grain white” flour for the 1 c of flour. DELICIOUS!! I think I will sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top next time for the “cupcake” effect, makes them more of a treat to my daughter. =)

YOU DON’T NEED THE CUPCAKE LINERS! I sprayed the muffin pans with my misto (you can use Pam) and they popped right out, no sticking to anything, easy clean up.

33. Pingback: Popular Christmas Gifts

34. motor verzekering

October 31, 2011 at 8:41 am

Ik check altijd deze site voor verzekeningen. Hier kun je gemakkelijk verschillende verzekeringen vergelijken.

35. Linda B

October 20, 2011 at 9:28 pm

These muffins are our favorite! They are really good with white chocolate chips too!

36. Liz

September 26, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Very yummy recipe! My muffins stuck to the paper even after the cooled. Next time I will try w/o the liners.

37. Tracy

September 13, 2011 at 10:52 am

I have a batch of these in the oven now! I had just a smidge of batter left and didn’t want to dirty another pan, so I made it into a pancake, so I get to sample while the muffins bake. YUM!

I used plain sugar instead of honey (which I can’t give my 9-month old twins) or agave (which I don’t have) and they turned out fine. I also omitted the chocolate chips from 6 of them so the babies can eat them.

38. dawn

August 26, 2011 at 2:23 pm

YUMMY! Made mini muffins and baked for 8 minutes…turned out perfect!

39. Chelle

August 26, 2011 at 6:26 am

I am disturbed to see that you recommend canola. It is genetically modified from the already-poisonous rape plant. Eating GMOs is like playing Russian roulette with your DNA, and the modification does not remove enough of the rapeseed toxin to render canola safe, anyway. Further, canola is a neurotoxin, and the name “canola” is owned by Monsanto. You’re in dire enough straits with plain rapeseed oil, but you can bet Monsanto wouldn’t allow anyone to slap their name on any old rapeseed oil. You don’t want anything Monsanto has touched.

There is nothing healthful about this stuff, so I do not like to see it listed in a recipe from a blog like this one. Very impressed til now, and when I use this lovely recipe, I will substitute coconut oil for the heinous canola. The latter tastes like garbage, anyway, but coconut lends itself beautifully to baking.

Please, don’t take my word for it; research!

• Margaret

January 23, 2012 at 1:28 am

Thanks for the food for thought, Chelle! I thought I heard that coconut oil wasn’t so very good for the body. Research is indeed in order! I appreciate you voicing your concerns. That said and in the meantime, I can’t wait for the muffins to come out of the oven! Thanks for the recipe, Catherine!

40. Pingback: A Year in the Kitchen: Banana Muffins «

41. jellyjello

August 7, 2011 at 12:34 am

i made these for my 13month old daughters play date and they loved them! so did the parents! i subbed 1/2 cup flour for flaxseed .. when the fridge opened my daughter points and ask for more!

42. Jennifer

August 5, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I just made these with my daughter – they are simple and delicious!

43. Diana

July 14, 2011 at 12:51 am

This is a fantastic recipe. The milk and the white flour pair very nicely with the chocolate chips. I love that these are sooo moist but aren’t greasy and heavy like most muffins. And also not too sweet.

I’ve been making these and your Banana Wee-eat Germ muffins regularly – both are easy and delicious.

44. Amilynn36

July 8, 2011 at 1:56 pm

So yummy I used coconut oil and they were perfectly sweet

45. Jaimee S.

July 7, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Could these be made in a cake/loaf pan? What size would work, and what should the time and temp be? This recipe would be great for a healthy birthday “cake” for my son!

46. toni

July 7, 2011 at 12:54 pm

My daughter won’t stop eating these (and neither can I)! We used applesauce instead of oil and made almost 4 dozen mini muffins (baked for 8 mins) and they were delicious. Thank you for such yummy recipes!!

47. Pingback: The Banana Oreo Muffin Experiment « Young Idealistic Baker

48. Erica

June 13, 2011 at 4:25 pm

These are great- I omitted the choc. chips. Loved how easy and not overly sweet they are.

49. Jennifer

June 12, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I made 3 dozen mini muffins from this recipe. Baked at 325° F for 10-12 minutes.

These were delicious and moist!
    Thanks again for a wonderful recipe. :)

50. Lorrie

June 10, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I too made these gluten free with a gluten free flour blend for a wheat allergy and used flax seed to replace the egg for our egg allergy and they were perfect!

51. Stefani

June 10, 2011 at 1:12 am

I made these gluten free by using 1/2 cup sweet sorghum flour, 1/2 cup sweet rice flour and 1/2 cup tapioca flour. They turned out perfect.

52. Chelsea

June 4, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I JUST tried making these muffins. I have never made muffins before (except corn muffins) and I want to know why my muffins are sticking to the paper. I cut one open and it wasn’t cooked all the way so I put them in for a minute or two then took them out and they are fully cooked but are still sticking to the paper…They smell good but I am just wondering why they are sticking to the paper. Thanks! I love your recipes.

June 8, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Did you let them fully cool? Once you let them cool, they do not stick :) I had the same problem.

53. Julie

June 3, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Just made a double batch. My daughter has a softball tournament early tomorrow morning so these are coming with us. We all love the recipe! Thank you!

54. Brandy

June 2, 2011 at 12:44 pm

These are heavenly!!!!! I made mini muffins and they turned out perfect! Thanks again for a wonderful recipe! Can’t wait for my husband to try these.

55. Carrie829

May 31, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Made these this weekend and they were a HUGE hit! Thank you! :)

56. MA

May 31, 2011 at 8:51 pm

So delicious! Also had that sticking to the liner problem at first, but after cooled they were ok. They taste great and kids love them!!

57. CC

May 31, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I made these with the kiddos – fun and easy. And they said they were the “favoritest muffins” they had ever eaten……….then the next day they would not touch them. What on earth (bangs head against wall).
    So I had to polish them off. Silver linings people :)

58. Kelsey

May 31, 2011 at 12:08 pm

they’re good without chips too… mmmm mine are still warm!

59. Aubree

May 31, 2011 at 7:57 am

I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All-Purpose flour, equal substitution for the all-purpose flour, and they turned out great!! Definitely a keeper recipe.

60. Pingback: Weelicious ? ? Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food … | sypenapen

61. Jennifer Bailey

May 27, 2011 at 7:21 am

I didn’t have chocolate chips, but had peanut butter chips, so I used them and added in 2T of cocoa powder. They are awesome!

62. Joy

May 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm

These are yummy and a snap to make. Literally it took me 10 minutes and me and my daughter ate 3 of them!

63. alexandra

May 26, 2011 at 2:20 pm

oh my. those look scrumptious!

64. moroccan oil

May 26, 2011 at 1:07 pm

yammmmy, i am going to try it tomorrow

65. Alina M.

May 25, 2011 at 9:53 pm

We made a double recipe tonight. We used whole wheat flour, agave, added 1 c raisins, and added more milk since we like our muffins to be moist. They were delicious. We made 12 mini muffins and a rectangular cake. We put yogurt on a piece a cake, sprinkle hemp seeds, and grate some dark chocolate. Delicious!

• Jaime

June 2, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Good call on the extra milk – I made these and they were very dry.

66. Kimberly

May 25, 2011 at 5:34 pm

If I make these with honey, would they be ok for my 10 month old to eat? I know babies under 1 aren’t supposed to have raw honey but is it ok if cooked in something? I’d love to make these tonight and I don’t have any agave nectar in the house.

67. Sari

May 25, 2011 at 3:07 pm

If I were wanting to add some zucchini to make them a bit healthier what would I have to do to the recipe in order to do this?

68. Amanda E.

May 25, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I made these with my daughter today and they are a hit! We used white whole wheat pastry flour and they turned out great. Thanks for the recipe!

• Jose

February 5, 2014 at 2:37 am

Who needs TV when you have the internet? I watch WAY more TV than I sholud especially considering we don’t have a TV.There’s a food processor in the house we live in half the year, and the other half we usually don’t have a kitchen at all, so I haven’t invested. I only own the things that that house doesn’t have, which makes for a weird collection of kitchen supplies. Like, I don’t own a toaster. Or plates. Or forks. But I do have a jumbo box of bendy straws and an Alice in Wonderland tea pot.

69. colleen

May 25, 2011 at 2:18 pm

do 2 bananas equal about 1 cup of mashed banana? Bananas vary in sizes so much my attempts at banana breads always seem to fail.

• Maureen Murphy

February 19, 2013 at 11:34 am

Also if we ever don’t quite have enough banana I will add some applesauce.

• Meredith Stevens

September 27, 2011 at 9:03 am

I always try to use 2 larger bananas. if i cannot get larger ones I use 3 small ones. I have never had a problem with using too much in this one….

• Nino

February 4, 2014 at 2:02 am

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a freind who was doing some research on that. And he just bought me lunch because I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch! A human being has a natural desire to have more of a good thing than he needs. by Mark Twain.

70. Lauren

May 25, 2011 at 1:45 pm

How long would you suggest baking these if using a mini-muffin pan?

• Katie @ Healthnut Foodie

May 25, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Using 1 tbsp of batter per muffin, we bake ours at 350 for 8 – 11 minutes. The ingredients are pretty similar, so this should work for Catherine’s as well!

71. jul1217

May 25, 2011 at 11:34 am

My daughter has a dairy allergy. Do you think I could substitute almond milk for the milk? Thanks!

• Alicia

May 26, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I made these today and used coconut milk and they came out just fine! :)

• Kelly

May 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I have used soy, rice and almond milk in other wee recipes so I’m sure you could for this one as well. I think I’ll be making these over the weekend. I’ll post my results for you when I do, if you like. :)

• jul1217

May 25, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Thanks, Kelly! That would be great!

72. Melissa

May 25, 2011 at 10:40 am

I made them and half of the muffin stuck to the paper liner. Should I have sprayed the paper with cooking spray?

May 25, 2011 at 11:21 am

I was so excited to try these when they came out of the oven that I peeled of the paper and had the same issue. But when I tried the second one after they completely cooled the paper didn’t stick at all. You can also grease regular muffin cups if you don’t want to use the paper liners.

• Meredith Stevens

September 27, 2011 at 9:02 am

You can also use the reynolds wrappers and it comes off completely clean.

73. Shana

May 25, 2011 at 10:31 am

Can I substitute whole wheat flour? What would be the quantities?

May 25, 2011 at 11:22 am

I haven’t tried using whole wheat flour, but you could try using half white and half wheat or even white wheat flour.

• Katie @ Healthnut Foodie

May 25, 2011 at 2:55 pm

We make our version of these using 1 cup white whole wheat and 1/2 cup AP. They are perfect for using up brown bananas and even freeze beautifully! We love them so much that the recipe will even be in my next cookbook! Yum yum!

• crose

May 31, 2011 at 12:10 am

You can also sub half and half almond meal or almond flour with either whole wheat flour or unbleached AP flour (King Arthur is a great brand). I’ve tried many different variations/combinations and they have all turned out good. All in all, banana bread recipes are very forgiving.

74. Andrea

May 25, 2011 at 7:56 am

My 5 year old is excited about these. :) I was also wondering about using agave instead of honey. We are slowly building our pantry for all of your yummy recipes and we don’t have honey yet.

75. michelle

May 25, 2011 at 6:38 am

I used chopped up figs instead of chocolate chips by daughter thought they were chocolate chips at first it was funny.

76. Paula

May 25, 2011 at 4:28 am

Sounds so yummy!! I am making these today! Could I use agave nectar instead of honey, would it be the same amount?

May 25, 2011 at 11:16 am

Yes, you could use agave nectar :)

• Paula

May 25, 2011 at 8:14 pm

We Used the agave nectar and they were perfect! So easy that my husband made them for me!! Had them after our dinner (that he also made) which included the carrot, broccoli and cheese orzo. I love that all your recipes are so simple, healthy and good for hubby and I and our soon to be 1 year old- thanks!!