Carrot Coins

Roast Carrot Coins

Yum

Every time I take the kids to my friend’s house for a play date she serves steamed carrot coins for dinner. They're always tender and sweet and all of our kids love them. I think the coin shape makes them extra appealing to little ones. I rarely think to make cooked carrots for dinner because I have such vivid memories of the waterlogged ones from my middle school cafeteria tray that always went untouched. Remember those? Limp, bland and quite sad looking. When it comes to food, like with many things, first impressions can be so important. No wonder so many kids decide from a young age whether they do or don't like a certain food. It’s why I focus so much on presentation and sparked to my friend’s preparation.

I bought some gorgeous carrots at the Farmers’ Market last weekend and decided to give them a little extra lovin' by roasting them with a bit of seasoning. These carrots turned out nothing like the ones I grew up on, they’re sweet from a bit of caramelization, bright orange and delicious. It's nice to know that you rediscover foods you grew up on (and may not have fond memories of) and see them in a whole new light!

Roast Carrot Coins  (Serves 4)

• 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into coins, about 2 cups
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
  2. 2. Place all of the ingredients on a baking sheet and toss to combine.
  3. 3. Roast for 30 minutes.
Roast Carrot Coins

Comments

1. Jessica

September 23, 2013 at 11:01 am

Yum! My little one loves these.

2. lei Parks

August 13, 2013 at 8:41 am

I always make a double batch of these…sooooo good. I could seriously eat the whole batch.

3. Pingback: Packing Lunches for Two Kids | Hellobee

4. Emily

November 5, 2012 at 11:09 pm

These are delicious! My husband, who claims to not like cooked carrots, said, “maybe you can make these again…” My toddler gobbled them up. I put them in the oven for about 35 minutes at 350 degrees (bc I had something else in the oven that needed the lower temp) and had no issues with them burning.

5. Pingback: Quick, Healthy Back-to-School Food Ideas & Tips for Moms | genConnect

6. Pingback: The essential school lunch guide | My Family Blog

7. Pingback: Coins

8. Pingback: Come, to Real Horny Devils.The adult social network has a member database of over one million men and women, mostly seeking to hookup or get laid. It’s currently free to join.We have live women on cam.We are an adult social dating network.Signup free to

9. Pingback: What’s for Dinner – Mom's Secret Weapon

10. Pingback: ipad 2 for dummies pdf

11. Pingback: david wygant review

12. Pingback: What’s For Dinner? | Mom's Secret Weapon

13. Increase your site popularity

November 8, 2011 at 12:56 pm

You actually make it appear so easy with your presentation but I to find this topic to be really one thing which I feel I would by no means understand. It sort of feels too complex and very vast for me. I am looking forward to your next publish, I will attempt to get the grasp of it!

14. Pingback: Weelicious ™ – Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food and recipes for the entire family! » Blog Archive » Roast Carrot Coins « Yingya's Space

15. tammyg817

October 10, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Do these freeze well?

16. Rebecca

July 22, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Just made these. Yummy. I’m just trying to not eat them all so there are some for my 9 month old. After roasting I cut them into smaller pieces so she could have them. She really likes them. Mine didn’t burn at all and are nice and tender – but IMO there is too much oil (which is probably needed to cook them), so I laid them out on a paper towel to sop up the extra oil.
    Found this via Pinterest. Thanks!
    BTW, I do this all the time with sweet potatoes, summer squash and cauliflower and different spices/oils. Always great.

17. jellyjello

July 14, 2011 at 2:52 pm

making these for lunch while my daughter naps, cant wait to eat them with her they smell great! i too thought i hated carrots until i started making them myself! thanx again for a great idea!

18. Erica

July 7, 2011 at 10:35 pm

These are delicious. I’ve made them twice now. Once for just my son and the second time enough for the adults. We all love them. I used smoked Spanish paprika- yum.

19. MA

June 21, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Fantastic! Also may decrease the time a bit to avoid the little bit of burning I experienced with the 30 min time. But delicious and the kids (1 and 3) loved them…the grown-ups too! Will be roasting more veggies in the future!

20. Theresa

June 11, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Thank you these were fantastic! Instead of paprika, we used 1/8 tsp of pumpkin pie spice. I’ve never seen our toddlers (16 months) eat carrots so fast. Thank you again. Hint- make a double batch, they go quickly.

21. Brandan WH

June 8, 2011 at 7:42 am

These were great but I also had an issue with them burning. Think I will decrease the cooking time as I had to toss about half due to being too burned to eat. I’m sure it will be better next time…

22. Bren

June 6, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Carrots for lunch or dinner? Maybe for a side.

23. z's mom

June 6, 2011 at 1:11 pm

My roasted veggies always get dried out. How can I get them right?

• Jenn

June 24, 2011 at 1:20 pm

After they’re done roasting, I put them in a covered dish for a few minutes. The steam seems to soften them up a bit. I do this with roasted potato cubes all the time!

24. Natasha

June 6, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Good idea! Thanks for sharing

25. kristine marsico

June 5, 2011 at 10:14 am

Thank you so much for this recipe. I made this last night for a family bbq…and received so many compliments. They were quite delicious

26. Missy

June 5, 2011 at 10:03 am

Will these keep well for a few days in the refrigerator? I’m thinking they’d be a great daycare snack, but I’d obviously have to make in advance.

27. Monique

June 3, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I made these today and the carrots burned badly :( I’ll try again at half the time (15 minutes).

• Amber

June 13, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I had the same issue. I will try to shorten the time. However, the ones that weren’t burnt were a big hit with my two boys!

• Amber Gray

August 4, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I just wanted to say that I retried these today and they turned out perfect. I cooked them for 17 mins this time and had no problems with burning! The kids loved them!

28. Jill

June 2, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I love to do these and toss them with some maple syrup!

29. Jodie

June 2, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Trying these tonight. And since my kids are also pirate obsessed, I’m going to call them “Carrot Gold Doubloons”. We’ll see if that appeals to them! Or maybe I’ll go with “Carrot Hockey Pucks”. LOL

30. Scout1

June 2, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Would this work just as well with baby carrots?? I have a whole bag and was wondering…

• Tammani

June 3, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I used baby carrots for lunch today. Yes! They were fantastic. I am not a cooked carrot liker but I tried them and wow, they were good. Thank you, Catherine! My two year old and I ate every one on our plates.

31. Juniper girgis

June 2, 2011 at 1:19 pm

These would be soo cute to serve at a pirate party as gold coins!!! ( we are a little pirate obsessed around here)

32. Amanda

June 2, 2011 at 1:05 pm

They look good to me. My kids love raw veggies, but usually aren’t impressed w/ cooked ones. I am going to try these to see if they like them just b/c I want to try them. LOL.

33. Sokha McCarthy

June 2, 2011 at 11:19 am

I find that no matter how cute a vegetable looks, my kids aren’t impressed; I tend to make them eat their veggie because we don’t waste food at our house nor does Mommy going to bend over backwards to make them cute. What happens when they go to restaurants and see the same carrots but won’t try them because they don’t look fun?? I’m grateful however that my kids eat good amount of veggies and grown to like them whatever shape they are in — it takes time and persistence.

• Stephanie

August 17, 2011 at 4:01 pm

When mommies aren’t willing to “bend over backwards” for their kids, then we can expect that those kids are going to grow up with way bigger issues than simply not wanting to eat their veggies.

;)

• LLD

December 31, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I cam here to view a recipe found on Pinterest but got lost in the comments. What a shame. What is it with women that feel the need to pounce on another woman because of her comment/opinion – especially other moms. What a shame!

• Kristy

June 10, 2011 at 10:32 am

*eye roll*

• Erica

July 7, 2011 at 10:39 pm

what happens if you go to a restaurant and the carrots are in fun shape but you’ve only cut them in un-fun shapes at home?

• Rachel

August 17, 2011 at 3:00 pm

This seems like the easiest way to cut a carrot to me. I don’t see anything wrong with giving it a cute name!

34. Jill

June 2, 2011 at 9:41 am

Lucky us – I just bought carrots yesterday because one of my toddler twins likes them, but I realized it’s been awhile since I’ve prepared any. I’ll try this while they’re napping today. Any thoughts on how these will freeze? Will they be mushy after thawing?

35. Sarah

June 2, 2011 at 8:34 am

Thanks for reminding me how awesome roasted veggies are even in the summer. And I can roast a whole bunch of stuff up and then toss it in EVOO and lemon juice for extra summer flavor. I also love to do butternut squash and cumin. My two year old LOVES spices and roasting makes them so tender and less of a choking hazard!

36. Jamie

June 2, 2011 at 8:29 am

Yum. I’m going to try these with a little dill from my garden instead of the paprika!

• Susan

February 4, 2014 at 10:04 pm

You are my inspiration, I own few blogs and rlaery run out from brand . Tis the most tender part of love, each other to forgive. by John Sheffield.

37. Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray (formerly Rachel's Recipe Reviews)

June 2, 2011 at 7:56 am

I love roasted vegetables. These are so pretty!

38. Salma

June 2, 2011 at 6:01 am

Sounds delicious! Can I roast the potatoes along with these as well?

June 2, 2011 at 5:34 pm

As long as the potatoes and carrots are cut in about the same size it will be perfect!

39. sarah suhail

June 2, 2011 at 5:28 am

lovely! Any oher ideas of veggies that can be roasted like this? My lo has constant constipation and carrots are a big no but she loves crunchy veggies!

June 2, 2011 at 6:03 pm

You can roast cauliflower or broccoli, even onions, zucchini, butternut squash, green beans – basically any veggie! :)

• Michelle

June 8, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Would you use different spices on things like broccoli and cauliflower? What would you suggest? The carrots were fabulous by the way. :)

• esophian

June 6, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Paula Deen has an amazing recipe for yams, cut into sticks, tossed with a little melted butter and cinnamon, and roasted same time and temperature as these carrots. This is a *delicious* finger food for adults and babies alike!