Watermelon Cinnamon Granita

There is the sweetest, homemade sno-cone stand at our farmers' market called Sno-con AMOR where the owner (and Kenya's newest love), Lauda, serves up the most incredible traditional Raspados (Mexican Snow Cones). With homemade syrups in flavors like walnut, coconut and mojito (I almost want to drop to the ground with embarrassment every time Chloe screams, "MORE MOJITO" in a crowd full of parents), these are nothing like the artificially sweetened and colored sno-cones you may be used to seeing. Lauda uses only the freshest, all natural ingredients to produce her frozen works of art.

Recently Lauda has been featuring watermelon-cinnamon as a flavor and it is heavenly. The first time she offered me a taste I was skeptical. Cinnamon and watermelon sounded like quite an unusual combo, but it took just one bite and I was knocked out. So knocked out in fact, that I had to replicate it at home. Given that the kids only see Lauda on Sunday, having granita (very similar to sno-cones) for them at home the remaining six days of the week made me very popular with them indeed.

And no, your eyes aren't fooling you. That's yellow watermelon pictured above. The kids can't get enough of it when it is in season, so I used it to make this cinnamon spiked watermelon granita that tastes almost as good as Lauda's sno-cones.

Whether you decide to make this with red or yellow watermelon, it's a super sweet summer time treat that's filled with AMOR!

Watermelon Cinnamon Granita  (Serves 6-8)

• Cook Time: 3 hrs,

• 5 cups watermelon chunks
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup sugar

1. 1. Place all of the ingredients in a blender and puree.
  2. 2. Place the puree in an 8×8 inch Pyrex dish and put in the freezer for 1 hour.
  3. 3. Remove from the freezer and scrape with a fork to break up pieces.
  4. 4. Place back into freezer for 1 hour.
  5. 5. Remove from the freezer and scrape with a fork to break up pieces.
  6. 6. Repeat this process one or two more times over several hours until the
  7. granita is similar in consistency to shaved ice.
  8. 7. Serve (cover the dish with tin foil to keep the rest in the freezer).
Watermelon Cinnamon Granita

Comments

1. Pingback: Watermelon “Granita” | AngieOsborne.com

2. Fajar

February 3, 2014 at 10:51 pm

One of the fruits I crave (I’m not so much a caevrr…) most often in my favouritest colour! Yay! It makes me happy in the same way that white cherries and purple cauliflower does. :-)

3. Pingback: Summer Mixed Melon Nachos With Mascarpone Cream | Dishin & Dishes

4. Katie @ Dishin & Dishes

July 17, 2013 at 1:30 pm

My favorite sno cone flavor is Red Hot (cinnamon). Would love to try this!

5. Pingback: Summer Fest: Savory Watermelon Recipes | Cooking Bookmarks

6. Pingback: Cool Watermelon Drinks — Summer Fest | Cooking Bookmarks

7. Divya Shivaraman

July 17, 2013 at 11:07 am

this is incredibly a chiller

8. Pingback: Sweet and Salty Greek Watermelon Feta Mint Salad Recipe - Jeanette's Healthy Living

9. Pingback: Watermelon Basil Lemonade

10. Pingback: Watermelon Carpaccio, Blistered Shishito, Mitsuba, Lime • Taste With The Eyes • where the image is meant to titillate and inspire the cook

11. Mojito Recipe Pitcher

January 18, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Thank you for some other magnificent article. The place else could anyone get that kind of info in such an ideal method of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I’m at the search for such info.

12. Pingback: Watermelon Cinnamon Granita

13. Pingback: Just Desserts: 5 Droolworthy Recipes From Around the Web « Real Moms Love To Eat

14. Anna

August 27, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I love this! Life got in the way so I didn’t get a chance to scrape as much as should have so I’ve been using it as ice cubes yum!!

15. annemarie

August 16, 2011 at 9:02 pm

i used a different melon that was on sale here. they had them cheep because they were super ripe. this is so yummy. i didnt even have to add sugar!

16. Snoopypana

August 15, 2011 at 11:15 pm

This was EXCELLENT! So refreshing and easy.
    Catherine what other fruits/veggies/herbs/nuts would work with this? I’d love to try an horchata flavor <3

17. Ben

August 14, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Just tried this, and it’s great. For me, i think i’ll go with a smidge more sugar and a smidge less cinnamon in the future. Ground my cinnamon freshly which could be why it’s a bit overpowering. Overall, a great dessert!

18. Morgan

August 11, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I made this today and am currently eating it. It is AMAZING!!!! I used my pastry blender instead of a fork which I found much easier. My husband and dad who is here visiting are both raving about it as well! Thanks for another great recipe Catherine! :)

19. Ashlee

August 11, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I am VERY excited about this. I just tried to make a watermelon granita that I saw on thepioneerwoman.com, but I did not care for it and it ended up going down the drain :( I just used up the rest of the watermelon we had in the fridge to make this, and dipped my finger in the liquid before popping it in the freezer and was like, OH YEA, that’s good! Love the cinnamon addition, thanks for sharing.

20. Jo

August 11, 2011 at 4:18 am

Hi, I didn’t see an email adress to message you at so I am asking on here… It is a random question, but can you recommend a toothpaste for a 2 year old? I know that you have two littles ones, so I was just curious as to what you use with them. Thank you :)

• annemarie

August 16, 2011 at 9:03 pm

toms makes a great all natural toothpaste in strawberry!

• Max

February 4, 2014 at 9:27 pm

My family left the home at anourd 7:10 pm – 7:15 pm on Wednesday night and we saw the flash. It flash twice, the first not so bright and then the second was unbelievably bright. We weren’t sure what the heck it was, but now understand people all over had seen it also. We live in South Maplewood, east of the St. Paul.

21. Laura

August 10, 2011 at 2:02 pm

My mother-in-law has a snow cone maker, but I’ve asked her not to use those yucky syrups. How could I give her this recipe to use in the snow cone maker?

22. Julia

August 10, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Do you think this would freeze up okay in an icecream maker? I know the texture would be different… I just get distracted too easily to remember to do the fork scraping part every hour.

23. Brandan WH

August 10, 2011 at 12:34 pm

How timely. Just bought some watermelon yesterday and this looks ridiculously good! Can’t wait to try it!

24. Laura

August 10, 2011 at 9:21 am

I’m pretty sure her name is Laura and not Lauda. I’m CostaRican and this happen to me all the time. The pronunciation is a bit different and that’s why sounds like “d” instead of “r”.

• JG

August 12, 2011 at 11:55 am

If you check out the SnoConAMOR website, she herself spells it Lauda with a “d”! :)

25. Vivian

August 10, 2011 at 7:40 am

I have to say also, I can’t get enough of your site, I love so many of your recipes and my son loves me for it too….so thank you from Canada! One question, I like to use natural sweetners as much as possible would it work with Agave or honey?

26. Lizajane

August 10, 2011 at 6:05 am

This is amazing I am trying this today with Jagger! He LOVES ices etc…
    Love your site thanks !