Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

Do you have any idea how much money you spend on granola and/or nutritional bars for your kids? Take a minute and add it up; I would bet it's more than you think. Before you say "they're convenient", trust me, I get it. On those busy mornings when you don't have time for breakfast, there's nothing easier than tossing a bar into your child's lunch box and another one into your purse, but a majority of the brands on the market are not as healthy as their manufacturers would lead you to believe. Plus, they are made with ingredients I can't even begin to pronounce.

About 8 years ago, I got so fed up with what my husband was spending on bars to take to work with him, I devoted myself to figuring out how to make them myself. I worked so hard at it, I even flirted with starting my own bar business! These Chocolate Chip Granola Bars are unbelievably delicious and, if you wrap them individually, just as easy to grab when you're on-the-go as the ones you buy at the market (plus, you'll have no problem pronouncing all of the ingredients in these). But the best part? This recipe makes 30 bars. Most pre-packaged bars will run you a dollar or more. That would come out to about $30 (!) compared to the less than $4 it costs to make this recipe (and don't forget the time you'll also save not having to go to the grocery).

If you can't bear giving your kids chocolate chips first thing in the morning (my husband always gets tweaked when he sees the kids eating these at 8am), you can easily replace them with naturally sweet dried fruit like cranberries, cherries or raisins. My feeling is if my kids are going to have chocolate at all I would rather it be at the beginning of the day than right before they go to bed.

Chewy and crunchy with toasted oats and a sweet surprise in every bite, these Chocolate Chip Granola Bars are a must for your back to school rotation!

Chocolate Chip Granola Bars  (makes about 30 bars)

• 4 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup chocolate chips*
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup honey

1. 1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
  2. 2. Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl.
  3. 3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
  4. 4. Pour the wet ingredients over the oat mixture and stir to combine.
  5. 5. Place granola mixture on a parchment lined baking sheet and shape into a rectangle, about 13 x 9 x 1 inch thick.
  6. 6. Bake for 40 minutes.
  7. 7. Allow to cool completely then cut into 3 x 1 inch bars.**
  8. * You can substitute raisins or other dried fruit for the chocolate chips.
  9. ** Individually wrapped, the bars will remain fresh for several weeks.
Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

Comments

1. nadine gourrege

June 14, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Can the chocolate chips be substituted with nuts and seeds?

2. Pingback: K I T C H E N | granola bars | BRICKS ON SHEA

3. lkomp

May 31, 2014 at 6:42 pm

So delicious! I’ve stopped buying granola bars at the store because of this recipe.

4. Pingback: Best Homemade Granola Bar Recipe! | Penny-Wise Sisters

5. Deborah

May 3, 2014 at 3:31 am

Is it ok to use Pam for this dish will it turn out the same

6. Pingback: Make vs. Buy: The Healthy Food Showdown | BargainMoose Canada

7. rachel

March 20, 2014 at 11:41 am

I was wondering if I can substitute the canola oil for coconut oil? will the bars turn out the same?

Awsome website by the way

8. Tara Talwar

March 18, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I don’t know what went wrong, but the bars were crumbley and wasnot
    able to cut them. They kept falling apart. Any suggestions? But used them in cereal.

9. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Granola Bars | cupcakes & chia seeds

10. Sue L.

January 28, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Attempted a half batch because running low on oats. They got very crispy (layered too thinly) but were not burned and broke into jagged bits. I carried the bag of pieces around for snacking and the crumble at the bottom was great yogurt (or banana split) topping!
    I’m making a full batch now and hope to squirrel away some bars if I can keep from eating all of it right away.

11. Jennifer

January 23, 2014 at 9:51 pm

These granola bars are fabulous!!! My son has been eating Cascadian Farms Organic Chocolate Chip granola bars. I personally find them way too sticky and I don’t particularly enjoy the taste myself but he liked them. I say liked because he no longer wants those, just these. I was thrilled to find this recipe because it is less processed and because it contains no nuts. I did make a few changes to the original recipe and it works for us. I omitted the unsweetened coconut and substituted coconut oil (Kelapo brand) for the canola oil, 1/4 teaspoon of “Real Salt” brand instead of kosher salt because that is the brand we use and I used a little less than 3/4 cup of mini chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand). The first two times I made them with one cup of chocolate chips and they were too chocolately for us. This was the first time I have used coconut oil. I am personally not a big coconut fan but the oil tastes nice and I like using a more natural/healthy oil and even my son who is allergic to tree nuts can eat coconut oil. I also cooked mine in a rectangular glass pyrex pan. I put parchment paper down, spread some coconut oil around to keep from sticking. Then pressed the granola mixture into the pan. The first time I cooked it for 27 minutes and it turned out like the hard/crunchy granola bars. We like them chewier so now I have been cooking them for 21 minutes and that is perfect for us. I will say it looks uncooked when they come out but harden as they cool. I leave them in the pan for an hour to cool, then put it on a cutting board for half an hour, cut them and then let them cool some more before storing them. Thanks for the great recipe and for inspiring me to make my own granola bars! Also thanks to everyone for their reviews because yes, I read everyone of them and the comments helped me in deciding how to make mine.

• mamawit

February 5, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Thanks for sharing sharing how long to cook to keep them chewy!

• Jennifer

February 13, 2014 at 10:38 pm

You are welcome. Hope they turned out how you wanted. I think I end up making these every week. My kids love them and I do too.

12. Pingback: Baking from scratch | sensationalfamily

13. Pingback: Horchata Recipe -- Sweet Mexican Rice Milk OH LORDY LORD!!! | FOODIEZ-eatzFOODIEZ-eatz

14. Pingback: Easy to Freeze Muffins | The Family RoomThe Family Room

15. aj

November 23, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Hi! Any possible substitutes for someone with an oat allergy? My family loves the recipe and I’d love to see if there is an oat substitutes so that I can enjoy them too. Also, any tips on how to quickly/easily/nicely wrap them individually? Thanks all!

• Karen

January 12, 2014 at 5:14 pm

I would use the snack-size baggies to wrap individually.

• Becky

December 3, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I recently made a batch of these as a present. To wrap them, I used 12″ Regency Treat Sheets cut into quarters and sealed them with Scotch freezer tape. I positioned the bars diagonally when folding them inside the sheets so that the recipient could open the wrapper and eat out of one just like a commercial granola bar. You can get treat sheets from Sur La Table or Amazon, and freezer tape from Harris Teeter (occasionally) or Amazon. For everyday wrapping, we’ve used snack bags (Lunchskins or plastic), wax paper, and parchment paper and they’ve all worked fine.

16. Caroline Hester

November 13, 2013 at 8:45 am

Catherine,
    Before I ruin them by putting them in the freezer, can they be frozen? Thanks. I bought a box of organic granola bars on the weekend and I could NOT believe how tiny tiny they were – my daughter loved them … pure cocoa and oats and seemingly not bad for you but expensive and not a lot for your money. Looking forward to this great alternative.

Seems like a lot of people have made substitutions to your recipe … I’d like to follow it as close to the letter as I can – option for adding cocoa?

The brand I bought are Canadian and not yet introduced to the market – Made Good – (Organic Granola Minis (balls)) there are vegetables in it now that I look really closely. I know ‘hiding’ veggies is not a great option but a nice side benefit.

• Courtney

February 17, 2014 at 2:10 pm

We always freeze ours and they are just fine! I reuse the parchment they baked on, wrap the whole lot of cut bars and put it inside a large zip top bag. This way they are always ready to go for lunches.

• Jess

December 14, 2013 at 11:03 am

I bought the same MadeGood granola balls and bars! My kids love them so much I had to ration them! Unfortunately I don’t seem to be able to find them any where and I’m almost out! I bought them at Royal Winter, where did you buy them?

• Catherine McCord

November 13, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I actually have never frozen these! They last for about 2 weeks in the fridge! You could add about 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder and the results wouldn’t do any harm to the recipe. :)

• Caroline Hester

November 14, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Delicious but crumbly. What could I do to make them stick together a bit more. And be more chewy for little hands that won’t be as delicate?
        400 on convection?
        Or 400 regular?
        Specific ingredient that would make it more chewy?

I was hoping for more uniform bars that’s not necessarily the case.
        Still delicious and I will keep trying until this looks like yours ;)

17. Nina

November 11, 2013 at 10:34 pm

I made these for my 15-month old twins today. I subbed coconut oil for the canola and omitted the brown sugar. They were delicious!!! They were a bit crumbly, but I saw your note to stir wet and dry ingredients well and will pay more attention to that next time. Based on other people’s comments I will also try to replace the flour with ground flax next time. To change it up my next batch will have raisins + walnuts. I also want to do a batch with goji berries + chocolate chips and one of dried cranberries + pecans. I am so excited to have found this versatile, healthy & delicious recipe. Thank you!!!

18. Rivka Farkas

November 7, 2013 at 10:33 am

ok so these are perfect! if only I can get them off the parchment paper!!!! Why is it sticking?

19. nicola

November 5, 2013 at 10:16 pm

My husband made these and used raisins instead of choco chips, increased flour to 1/2 cup and used white whole wheat flour, added 1 tsp. of cinnamon and left out coconut. Used coconut oil instead of canola and instead of honey used 1/4 cup agave and 1 tbsp. molasses. They came out so great like a crispy granola bars. Just like store bought! With these changes they stayed together better:)

20. adriana

November 1, 2013 at 9:36 am

we love these but they never come out as bars. what makes them stick together to become bars? I use spelt flour and coconut sugar instead…is that what the problem is? I just really dont want to use brown sugar….trying to have less sugar in our diet. please help me make them stick together. Thank you

November 1, 2013 at 11:58 am

Make sure to mix in the wet ingredients really well to insure they are evenly coated! Then let the bars cool completely before cutting them!

• Eduardo

February 4, 2014 at 6:55 am

I would love to make my own granola but my dauethgr has a life threatening nut allergy. do you have a suggestion for a substitution for the coconut in the granola? since I’ve never made it, I don’t know if I can substitute anything.

21. kathy

October 14, 2013 at 7:15 pm

This is a very good recipe. I’ve used the base items and added raisins and nuts in place of the chips. Delicious!!!!!!

22. JennyQ

October 13, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Can these be frozen? Thanks for all of your inspiration!

23. Jeannette

October 10, 2013 at 1:59 pm

These are amazing!! And so versatile! The first batch I followed the recipe except for sub agave in place of honey, (didn’t have honey). They were a huge hit! I’ve made at least 3 more batches in the past 2 weeks, using raisins & craisins, chocolate chip & raisins. I’ve also discovered that any crumbs make a delicious raisin bran/honey bunches of oats like cereal in milk! I’ve made batches without forming them just for cereal! And have sent many moms to your site specifically for these! I was curious though, Catherine, is there a specific reason you chose honey over agave? I’ve see you replace agave for honey in a lot of your recipes and wondered why you chose not to here? Thanks for this recipe!

24. Terry

October 4, 2013 at 3:13 am

How do you prevent the chocolate chips from melting?

If I mix the chips into the hot mixture and bake it, the chips wll melt and sink to the bottom of the granola.

If I sprinkle the chips on top, the chips do not stay well when cooled, drop off easily when packed individually.

October 7, 2013 at 12:24 pm

What hot mixture? You mix everything dry and cool!

25. Pingback: PSA: wax paper is not the same as parchment paper | candidly mommy

26. Daphine

September 27, 2013 at 12:36 am

Can I leave out the wheat flour? Don’t have any at home and I don’t wanna buy a big pack only to use 1/4 cup

September 27, 2013 at 10:37 am

You can, but I would replace it with whatever flour you have on hand! It helps hold the bars together!

27. Jen

September 23, 2013 at 11:00 pm

These are amazing! I make them packed in mini muffin tins so they come out a nice serving size. I use mini choc chips and coconut oil or grapeseed oil rather than canola. Some flax and chia seed in place of the flour too.

28. Tobi

September 23, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Made these today and wanted a gluten free and a sweetener low on the glycemic index option. So I used gluten free rolled oats and flax meal in place of the flour, Coconut oil in place of canola, and coconut crystals(sweetener) in place of the brown sugar. They came out great! Will be making often :) Thanks for the great recipe Catherine!

29. Alicia

September 21, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Can you leave out the coconut? Noone in my family likes it and I don’t keep any in the house. Was going to make these today…

September 23, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Yes you can! It adds lots of flavor, but it can definitely be omitted!

30. Tracy

September 17, 2013 at 10:31 am

Thanks so much for the amazing recipe!I’ve been trying to get oatmeal in my son for a long time n the whole family loves them!!

31. Karen Balabanian

September 11, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Can you freeze them? Thanks

32. nicole

September 6, 2013 at 3:54 pm

We don’t use brown sugar. What would be a good substitute? Would I need to add ground up dates to add sweetness or would that be too much liquid? Thanks for any suggestions.

September 9, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Hmmm ground up dates would probably be the best substitute so you can keep the same texture as the sugar!

33. Ali

August 23, 2013 at 6:06 am

Do you cut the bars while still on the mat? I’ve made these several times and each time the wax paper is glue’d to the bars (even when I grease the paper). This recipe will become a staple in our house so I’m willing to purchase mats if they will solve the problem. My concern is that I have to use a little muscle to cut the bars so I’m worried I’m just gonna cut the sil mats into rectangles also!

August 23, 2013 at 10:59 am

No. I take the mat off first! You never want to cut on silpat!

34. Osnat

August 7, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Amazing granola bars. I usually do 1/4 c coconut, 1/4 c flax

35. Jm

July 25, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Seems like a lot of sugar (honey, brown, choc chips). I limit my kids sugar intake. Any suggestions for cutting? Ok to completely eliminate brown sugar?

36. Sarah

July 23, 2013 at 8:48 am

What do you suggest wrapping them in? Parchment paper?

July 23, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Yes, parchment paper!

37. Pingback: Homemade Hump Day: Snacks on a Plane Recipe Roundup | For Real in Real Life

38. Lorinda

July 12, 2013 at 2:17 am

These are delicious! I have made them several times and they are so easy and turn out great every time. I subbed ground flax seed for the flour and brown sugar (to keep the wet/dry ratio) and used coconut oil rather than canola. Also used, 1/2 cup craisins and 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, Stirred for a half hour (just kidding, but did stir a lot). YUM! My whole family loves them! Baked for 30 min. Cooled for 3 hours. Turned out perfect. Thanks for the great recipe!

39. Teresa

July 10, 2013 at 11:20 am

I made these bars last night, and they turned out really well. I stuck with the recipe as is and baked the bars in a 9×13 parchment-lined pan. I started checking them at 25 minutes, as suggested by other users, and kept adding a few minutes at a time until they were golden brown on top, which took me to about 40 minutes. I cooled them overnight and they cut beautifully this morning with minimal crumbling. I’ve found the occasional pocket of salt, so I may adjust that in future, but otherwise, I’m happy with the end result.

• Teresa

July 13, 2013 at 10:52 am

I asked my husband to save the last two bars for our kids. He said, “You mean the last two before the next batch, right?” :)

40. Pingback: Cooking with Toddlers | Mommy Playcare

41. Pingback: Can’t wait to try this recipe!! | Food Allergy Quest

42. Stephanie

June 18, 2013 at 9:17 pm

I have been searching for an easy granola bar recipe to make since my son has food allergies to nuts, dairy and soy. I can’t wait to make these with him!!!

43. Pingback: Guest Post: Toddler Bites from Weelicious - 100 Days of Real Food

44. Jen

June 10, 2013 at 11:12 am

Amazing! I didn’t add the salt or brown sugar and they were sweet enough for my kids and my daycare kids to eat every bite off the plate! Great recipe :-)

45. Pingback: Homemade Granola Bars | Naptime Coffee Break

46. BWin

May 30, 2013 at 12:55 pm

For those struggling with gettin these to stick together as bars, I’ve made these quite a few times and have found the following things help:
    -Don’t add to many additional dried fruits, nuts, etc. stick with the given measurements.
    -stir dry ingredients WELL, to incorporate especially the brown sugar through , with no lumps.
    -when adding the wet ingredients, stir beyond what you think necessary, the stir some more. And a little more. Evenly coating the dry ingredients is SO important
    -lastly, not cooking long enough and not allowing enough cool time will cause breakage.

This recipe takes some practice, but once you get it down, it’s easy!

• ann

May 31, 2013 at 3:22 pm

BWin, thanks for the tip. I used coconut oil and added honey to the already melted coconut oil, so not sure precisely how much honey I actually added. Seemed a bit dry so I added a bit of agave syrup given that I had run out of honey. .Just curious if the mixture is still fairly dry before shaping onto the pan. Thanks.

47. BWin

May 26, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Made these today…. Delicious! Two year old loves them, so does daddy! These will be a staple at my house.

48. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

49. Stefany

May 6, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Anyone try to sub out the brown sugar for something else? I made them last night subbing some ground flax for the flour and coconut oil for the vegetable oil… (used 1/2 chocolate chips and some pepitas and currants – delicious!). I suppose I could just leave out the sugar?

50. daisies

May 3, 2013 at 11:34 am

I mixed 1/4 cup of ground flax seeds into the dry mixture to pack an Omega 3 punch. I’m so happy to have found the weelicious website! Thanks for so many great recipes!

51. Pingback: Healthy Imposters | LiveSimply

52. dina

April 13, 2013 at 1:05 pm

wow these are deliciouse and amazing they turned out great!!!

53. Alice

April 11, 2013 at 7:16 pm

These turned out delicious!!! Followed the recipe except I replaced the canola oil with coconut oil and baked them for 30 minutes. I was wondering if anyone has tried freezing them? Do you think freezing them would work? Thank you for this great recipe!

• Sarah

April 18, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I froze them and they were still great after being defrosted. But they were only frozen a few days b/c my family ate the first batch so quickly!

54. ultimatezinc

April 5, 2013 at 10:20 am

These are delicious. My 12 month old, 2 year old and four year old all liked the granola bars and asked for more. They are so yummy and I think fun to make. I added more of the wet ingredients and cooked it in the lined 9×13 pan and they turned out great. Ours were chocolate chip and dried cranberry. So good

55. cheeseguppy

March 9, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Great recipe! Like others mentioned, I also did not need to cook it for as long. I cooked it for 30 minutes and checked it. The outside was a little burned. Next time, I will probably start checking around 22 minutes. I did not use the coconut since I do not like coconut. I also added some dried cranberries. Very tasty!

56. Melissa

March 4, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I have made these several times and love them. I’ve had the problem with them being burnt and crispy around the edges. So when I made them tonight, I used a parchment lined 9 X 13 inch glass pan instead of the parchment lined baking sheet. They turned out perfectly – a bit more chewy and no burnt, crumbly edges!

• Misty

September 3, 2013 at 4:51 pm

So glad you suggested the glass pan! I’ve been getting the burned edges, too.

57. Beth

February 19, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I made these but replaced the canola oil with only 3T of butter. I also skipped the coconut, but used 1/4 cup sliced almonds and 1/4 cup sunflower seeds and did 2 cups rolled oats and 2 cups steel-cut oats.. Mine turned out great. They stayed in bars. They were a crunchy granola bar rather than chewy. Why is so much canola oil needed? Would it make the granola bars chewy instead of crunchy?

58. srdaniel

February 17, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I have a coconut allergy. Is the shredded coconut necessary? Is there anything you could recommend as a replacement?

February 18, 2013 at 12:27 pm

The coconut adds flavor, but you can definitely leave it out!

59. notesontea

February 5, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I halved the recipe and used coconut not canola oil. The bottom and edges of my bars burned by 25 minutes. Still cooling….

60. Jeannette

February 3, 2013 at 4:38 pm

These look delicious. I would love to make “PB&J” granola bars. Do you think it would work to replace the oil with peanut butter and the chocolate chips with dried fruit?

• Theresa

February 12, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Make peanut butter chips, or actual chopped peanuts instead?

February 4, 2013 at 11:19 am

You can replace the chocolate chips with dried fruit or nuts! I’m not sure the peanut butter would be thin enough to coat everything like the oil does.

61. Pingback: Homemade Granola Bars | World At The Wayside

62. Kari

January 22, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I make these granola bars all the time! In fact, gave them out as holiday gifts this year and they were a huge hit!
    What I’ve learned, line the pan with parchment paper then pour the granola mix on and flatten. After taking them out of the oven, you have to wait for the bars to be absolutely cooled down before you cut them up. At least an hour. (if you can wait that long ;-) ) Otherwise you will have a crumbly mess.
    Cocunut oil is an awesome oil to use instead of canola oil.

63. Sarah

January 20, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I made these today and they came out great. I read through all the comments below and took the advice of others and cut down the cooking time to about 25-30 minutes. Then I let them cool completely (about two hours on the counter) before cutting them. They were a tiny bit crumbly at the edges, but definitely far from falling apart. Will definitely make again! Oh, and I subbed the coconut for dried cranberries. Sweet and tart perfection!

64. Theresa @ Two Much Fun

January 17, 2013 at 5:14 pm

I don’t know what went wrong. I followed the recipe exactly and it crumbled. I tried a second time, following several reviewers advice of pressing the mixture into a 13 x 9 inch pan, baking for 25 minutes and allowing it to cool in the pan. It still crumbled, not as much as the first time- but still unable to eat as granola bars. We saved the crumbles to top our yogurt, but I’d really love to find a recipe that we can make. Any advice?

• Melissa

February 26, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I wonder if your problem is that you’re using a 9×13 pan? They are meant to be cooked on a cookie sheet – I think they might bake differently in a cake pan… Also, I bake them for only 26 minutes (Somehow 25 isn’t enough, but 27 is too much… can you tell I’ve made them enough times??) I always make these in the evening and let them cool on the counter overnight. The tend to crumble less around the edges when they have a good 8 hours to cool.

• Ruth

January 18, 2013 at 10:13 am

Theresa, I had problems too with it crumbling, but now that I’ve made the recipe several dozen times, here is what works for me: mix everything VERY thoroughly and patiently, and then mix a little longer. I press the mixture very firmly into a slab-shape on a silpat-lined sheet, bake, and then let cool until it is completely room-temp. I am then able to just cut it directly on the silpat. There is a little crumbling on edges, but the bars themselves stay together. I found, with my oven, it only takes 25 minutes to bake. Bake too long, and it got too dried and crumbly. Hope this helps. My family adores this recipe!

• Theresa @ Two Much Fun

January 17, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Sorry, I forgot to mention- that as granola crumbles it tastes absolutely delicious! My kiddos have loved adding this to their yogurt- although my daughter, has been searching out the chocolate chips :-)

65. Lindsey

January 10, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I’d like to make these but I don’t have coconut. Will they turn out okay with out it? Do you think I could sub the oil for butter?

66. Alexandria

January 9, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Any suggestions for a substitute for the coconut?

• Lyubanchik

February 3, 2014 at 12:23 am

Hey, thanks for cnmiog by my blog and for the link on your page. Coincidentally, I am a teacher so I am excited to find you and your blog as well! I teach pre-k in a public school in NC. It’s for at-risk children. It’s hard and definitely stressful, but well worth it. I look forward to reading your posts!

67. Juliana

January 5, 2013 at 10:35 pm

What a great recipe, thank you soooo much! I only cooked for 20min and it was ready to come out. It turned out great!

68. Pingback: Food Friday: Homemade Granola Bars | PVD Parents

69. Sara S.

December 31, 2012 at 10:56 am

I made these yesterday just as your recipe stated. Made one addition, added about a 1/2 C. of rice krispies and because of that just a wee bit more honey and oil. Stamped them down with a spatula that I had sprayed with cooking spray. Baked for about 35 minutes at 320 degrees. When I took them out, I pressed them down one more time and cooled. Came out perfect!! Not too chewy and not crunchy. They didn’t fall apart either. The kids love them and so do I.

70. Catherine

November 30, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I love these, but they always crumble, so we end up eating them with a spoon. How do you make sure they stay as bars?

71. Pingback: Outside the Box {Homemade Granola Bars.} « (Mostly) Healthy Eats « The Grommom

72. AndreaW

November 14, 2012 at 1:34 am

I just made these tonight and they are amazing. I added a little sprinkle of cinnamon and they smelled delicious as they baked! Thank you for the recipe!

73. Melanie

November 11, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Just made these yet again – always a hit with the whole fami,y! Thanks Catherine!

74. Andrea

November 8, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Has anyone tried cutting out some of the oil with applesauce and natural nut butter?

75. laura

November 2, 2012 at 7:51 am

when you print to full page the salt and oil are not there, also the parchment paper is left out

• Renada

February 3, 2014 at 11:37 pm

My partner and i are pleeasd, I have to say. Very rarely will i discovered a blog that’s both instructive and also entertaining, as well as without a doubt, you’ve strike the actual toenail around the mind. The write-up is essential; the problem is something which very few individuals are communicating smartly regarding. I’m happy that I stumbled across this within my search for something concerning this.

November 2, 2012 at 5:02 pm

That is very strange. I don’t encounter that problem! Does it still list the honey and vanilla?

76. Pingback: Food on Friday: Homemade Cinnamon Raisin Granola « Fancied Freedom

77. Cecilia

October 15, 2012 at 10:04 am

I am thrilled that these came out like the picture on my first try. Since I didn’t have wheat flour and not really a fan, I used white but increased the measurement to 1/2 cup. Instead of the coconut (which I will use next time), I used about 1/2 cup each of dried cranberries and raisins. and only 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. It also seemed a bit dry to me so after pressing the mixture into a greased 13 x 9, I poured about 2 Tab. of light corn syrup over the top. Only baked about 30-35 min. and let sit outside in a breeze for an hour. No problem cutting at all. They are soft and delish!

78. RR

October 12, 2012 at 9:17 pm

great recipe! i bake for 35 minutes, and they come out perfectly (we like them a little on the chewy side). also, i sub safflower oil for the canola (which is genetically modified, even the organic variety, fyi).

79. DD

October 2, 2012 at 1:47 pm

These didn’t stick together at all. They completely fell apart. I also used coconut oil and for flour used almond flour. They didn’t burn, but I am disappointed that they aren’t “bars” like the photo.

80. laura

September 25, 2012 at 7:35 am

I used coconut oil instead of canola (that’s all I had) and they turned out great. I found that 40 mins was way too long to bake them. I burned them the first time. 20-25 mins was enough…maybe because of the coconut oil.

81. Peggy

September 17, 2012 at 8:14 am

Used vanilla flavored agave nectar and half a tsp of Vanilla extract… smells incredible. Omitted the extra sugar and coconut… my little girl licked the bowl. The flavor is going to be very good. Baked 30 min and resting 10 min… made them a bit on the thick side in a smaller then 13×9 pan, packed in using parch paper…, It was delicious, but crumbled a bit… I molded it, wrapped it and refrigerated and they were then solid enough to be called bars… will do again. Is it the sugar that helps make them crunchy?

September 17, 2012 at 10:42 am

The sugar gives it extra texture and flavor, and it caramelizes nicely! Your adjustments sound great!

82. Beth

September 11, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I can’t wait to make these for our camping trip!

83. Becky

September 2, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Just made a batch of these and my girls LOVE them!

84. Pingback: Quick, Healthy Back-to-School Food Ideas & Tips for Moms | genConnect

85. gems

August 28, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Finished the bars, they would not hold together. Seems like they needed a lot more oil or moisture.

• Aya

September 3, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I really had to mix them together very thoroughly to distribute the oil properly. Also, if they weren’t pressed down together well enough, they wouldn’t hold. Unlike a true baked good, they don’t glue themselves together, like a cookie would. If you wrap your potato masher with plastic wrap, it makes a great stamper for this.

• AudNoL

August 31, 2013 at 10:29 am

Wished I had read this comment before I made mine, but the way they smell, I know I will be making again with this tip!

September 4, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Good tip! Thanks!

86. gems

August 27, 2012 at 11:07 am

Just got a batch in the oven, I am really excited. Xylitol is a great natural sugar alternative and I used coconut oil instead of canola. I added some ground flaxseed, too. It will give it a nice nutty flavor.

87. Pingback: Homemade Granola Bars « One Big Happy Home

88. Kayla

August 26, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Thank you so much for the recipe. I have tried to make granola bars and had no success until now! I didn’t have coconut flakes, so I put flax seed mill instead. I also used coconut oil instead of canola oil. I used only 1/2 c chocolate chips and 1/2 c dried cherries. I didn’t make them as thick, so I only cooked for 20 min. They were delicious! My husband said they were the best he’s eaten! Thanks again!

89. Katherine

August 26, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Ina on Food Network always makes homemade granola, and personally I never watch her show and think “Hmm, I’m going to make this”. But your post has changed my opinion on homemade granola!

90. Lindsey

August 23, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Thank you for taking the time to share!! These are in the oven right now. the kids and I LOVE granola bars. My husband always frowns upon them because my twin 2 year olds are messy and the crumbs stick to his socks. Makes me laugh hehe.

• Lindsey

August 23, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Turned out great! Mine ended up crumbling as well but I didn’t care because it tastes so good =)

91. shirley

August 22, 2012 at 12:52 am

Hi, instead of the brown sugar could I substitute it with honey ? thankyou

92. Jessica H

August 16, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I think I perfected it to my liking. Baked on parchment, pressed into a 9 x 9 glass pan for about 25 min, then take out the entire thing (on the paper) put it on a regular cookie sheet and keep baking 10 ore min until I knew it was together enough.. YUM. It is still a bit warm and so moist! My last batch was very dry, so I made sure not to over bake it.
    (I omited the brown sugar and coconut, used 1/2 cup mini choc chips.)

93. Kari Y.

August 15, 2012 at 12:50 am

I love love love this recipe! I’ve made this recipe multiple times and each time is different. I’ve made them with coconut oil and also with grapeseed oil (it has a better tolerance to high heat than olive oil). I use partchment paper and have them about 3/4 inch thick when make them. 30-35 minutes is the perfect amount of time to bake them. More than that and they are burned. Hope this helps!

94. Lori

August 13, 2012 at 10:03 am

Simple bar and taste is great. Love that it does not have the high amount of sugar that most other bars have!

95. Jessica H

August 2, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Should I be baking these in a glass dish? I formed them in a dish then put them on a pan to bake (on parchment.) thought maybe it needed air around the sides. Has anyone used a 9 x 9 brownie pan?

96. Pingback: Bakeify Blog – Chocolate Chip Raisin Granola Bars

97. mel

July 25, 2012 at 7:53 am

maybe I should have used a smaller pan. I did try to press them firmly together but it still didn’t work too well. also forgot to mention I used coconut oil instead of canola, much healthier imo, I’d rather use olive oil than canola too

98. mel

July 25, 2012 at 7:48 am

I just tried these last night but like others, I couldn’t get them to stick together and mine crumbled :( I’m used to cooking the liquid ingredients together before mixing them with the dry ingredients. Also, I think they would be tasty enough w/o the brown sugar. I didn’t realize until afterward that they had both honey AND brown sugar…a little too sweet esp. with choc. chips too! Tasty though. ;) I didn’t throw it out though…ate too much :P and now we just have tasty granola for a treat. Had some over yogurt this morning

99. Amarachi

July 17, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I just made these granola bars and they are absolutely delicious, sweet and chewy. I used dried cranberries because I didn’t have chocolate chips and they are wonderful. I baked them for about 34 min, just until toasted and are so good. I can’t get over how great they are. My go to granola recipe. By the way, I found you on YouTube and I love your videos.

• Zafer

February 5, 2014 at 3:24 am

I think that’s why I like this recipe for a cgnahe Alison – no oil, not too much sugar (well, compared to other granola recipes at least), and the oats stay nicely separate and crunchy. Gx

100. perle

July 17, 2012 at 4:31 pm

325F for 40 min??? burned after 20 min!

101. Stephanie

July 3, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I made these last night. I left out the brown sugar, used 3/4 cup of honey total, and I used coconut oil instead of canola oil. I put it in 2 different pans. One pan, I cut after it cooled and it crumbled. The other pan, after it cooled, I put it in the fridge overnight and then it stuck together. The key is to FIRMLY press it down in the pan and then it is more like a bar. Hope this helps whoever might be getting ready to make it.

102. catherine

May 21, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Haha! Awesome, thank you!

103. Ruth Pinnell

May 21, 2012 at 12:48 pm

You just need to change the name of this recipe to Legally Addictive Granola Bars! My family can’t get enough of them. We use mini-chips, and substitute chopped peanuts for the coconut, and they turn out perfectly every time!

104. catherine

May 16, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Thank you so much! I’m elated that these are such a big hit with your family! :)

105. Lori

May 16, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I love love love these bars! I have looked for granola bar recipes in the past and they were always so complicated and had off the wall ingredients that I never had on hand! But these were perfect! I added chopped dried sour cherries, toasted chopped pecans, mini chocolate chips and ground flax seeds for some fiber. They were a little over done I think I will try knocking 10 minutes off of the cooking time next time I try them…..which will be soon! I also Found that cuttin them a bit bigger made them stay together better and I even cut half of the batch into big squares for my other half……he will eat 3-4 of the one inch bars anyway! Thank you! I <3 your site and I can't wait until my 4 month old is big enough to start trying your purées and other foods!

106. Jenny

May 15, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I’ve made these twice and my kids love them! I swapped out the canola oil for coconut oil and added a few dashes of cinnamon. Definitely a new regular treat around here! Thanks for the recipe!

107. Pingback: {sleep} » Gigi Blog

108. Jill Iser

May 2, 2012 at 12:13 pm

These are SOOOOOO good! Can’t even taste the coconut, and by my calculations come out to about 100 calories per bar… WITH the chocolate!

I am telling all my friends…

• Idalee

February 4, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Felt so hopeless looking for answers to my qun.niotss..uetil now.

109. Amy R.

May 2, 2012 at 8:29 am

I just made these this a.m. for my kids and they are so delicious! I substituted coconut oil for canola, gluten free flour for the wheat and 1/4 c. of evaporated cane juice (Sucanat) for the brown sugar. Also added a tsp. of cinnamon just because i love it. Baked for only 30 min. because i read several posts about shortening the baking time. Turned out perfect! crunchy and chewy just as promised. cut them after about 15 min. of cooling time. I only got 20 or 22 bars. Can’t remember because we ate some! will make these often and will try dried blueberries next time i think! thanks for the great recipes. This is my new go to for healthy snacks for my kids!

110. jackie

March 26, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Whole family loves these! I love that they are so simple! Thank you!

111. Amanda C

March 23, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I made these per the recipe and they turned out beautifully. Thanks for the recipe! No more store bought for us.

112. Pingback: Meal Plan for March 12-18 « the.new.us.

113. Pingback: The Search for a Healthy Granola Bar « the.new.us.

114. Pingback: Dee-Lish | the ratcliff family

115. Tracy

February 29, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Made these twice now. First time I followed the recipe exactly and ended up with a crunchy mess. Delicious – but no bar could be cut from what came out of my oven! I made them again last week. I only had a quarter cup of honey in the house so I subbed maple syrup for the rest – and then drizzled in a bit more when the mixture still seemed too dry. Using the advice in the replies here, I put it in a 9 x 13 pyrex coated with cooking spray, pressed it down with parchment and baked it only 25 minutes. I let it cool about an hour, turned it over onto a tea towel (came out in one big piece) and let it sit for several hours. It cut up into bars beautifully! They are nice and chewy without falling apart. Mine look just like the picture! Best granola bars I’ve every made!

Oh, and I doubt it matters, but I used a quarter cup of sliced almonds and a quarter cup of chocolate chips. One cup the first time was way too much chocolate for me! I’m making them again today for my daughter’s Kindergarten class and I’m going to use dried blueberries and almonds. Great recipe!

116. Karen M

February 28, 2012 at 3:04 pm

just made these but the just fell apart :(. i did exactly as the recipe says, any suggestions?

February 28, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Without being there I can’t be sure, but it could be you need to bake them for a little less time. I know some ovens run hotter than others so sometimes it’s just a matter of adjusting cooking time. I hope they hold together next time! Just crumble it up and enjoy over yogurt! Yummmmm!

• KHarris

February 4, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Hi Jane! Thanks for stopping by!Thanks so much on the comimplent on the pictures.It’s funny I used to think it was just ice cream .now I realize, if I’m having a bad emotional week or whatever my problem was this week it carries over to everything that is snacky !

• Karen M

February 28, 2012 at 3:47 pm

that’s exactly what I did, I love granola in my yogurt! The only thing i can think of is not letting it absorb enough. I will deff. try it again! Thank you :)

117. michal w

February 25, 2012 at 7:55 pm

These came out amazing for me. I cut the baking time to 30 min and used a 9×13 pan. The whole family loves these; thanks!

118. Sisi

February 23, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Just made these. Bases on previous comments I only baked for 20min, but they still completely fell apart. I will try them again increasing cooking time to 30 min. The crumble was delish though.

119. Nana

February 15, 2012 at 5:42 am

I just made these, following the recipe to the letter, except for baking time (only 30 min). They are delicious. Next time I will reduce the chocolate chips to only 100 g and baking time to only 20 minutes. For me they are too sweet to be healthy, but not too sweet as a chocolate treat. I can’t wait to try this with soaked cranberries and raisins. Thank you, Catherine!

120. Kristi

February 12, 2012 at 12:22 am

I haven’t been able to find unsweetened coconut anywhere. Where do you get yours? My 22 month old had a blast making these with me today (and the other day, but that batch got stuck to waxed paper and was ruined. Oops!)
    I added wheat germ and ground flax seed. With those added ingredients do you think they are still able to be stored the same way? This is my new favorite recipe.
    Also, what could I add to make them more airy? I love Quaker granola bars. What is it in those that is airy? Is it like little rice puffs? I wonder how some rice crispies would be in this recipe. Have you tried that? Do they make brown rice puffs anywhere? Sorry. I am totally on a granola bar kick now. You and your recipes rock!

February 13, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I might store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator because of the flax seed. You could sub rice cereal for some of the oats and that would alter the texture, maybe make them a bit more airy. I haven’t tried it, but I’d like to now! I always have brown rice cereal on hand. I can usually find it at Trader Joe’s as well as my local grocery.

• Kristi

February 17, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Thanks so much. I need to make a trip to T.J.’s soon so I will get some. I looked at Ralphs yesterday and wasn’t able to find unsweetened coconut. I’ve actually looked at a few stores now. Does T.J.’s carry that also? If not, I’m sure I could find that at Whole Foods or Follow Your Heart.
        My son and I made another batch of these this morning. We love them. My husband especially. I try and remind him that they aren’t just for him, but I am glad that he likes them too.

February 17, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Yes, TJs and Whole Foods in my area both carry unsweetened coconut! I’m so glad you like these so well!

121. Elizabeth

February 5, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I’m making these for the third time in two weeks because my 2 year old will not stop asking for “nana bar! nana bar! nana bar!” We’ve omitted the coconut each time. We made them once with 1 cu chocolate chips, once with 3/4 cu chopped dates and 1/4 chocolate chips, and I am now making them with 1 cu raisins. Each batch has been delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

122. Megan

February 3, 2012 at 4:43 pm

These are great! I made mine with quick oats and once they cooled completely they are chewy. I baked them for 20 min BUT i made a half batch tho I forgot to half the flour (white all purpose) Still turned out great! I got 12 1×3 bars from my recipe. I omitted coconut. THANKS!

123. Anna

January 28, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Just made them for the first time, I only baked for 30 minutes, the edges were over cooked but i just cut them off and snacked on them myself :)
    BUT my made question is, did anyone get 30 bars out of this recipe? I got 12 and 1 crumbled, probably just didn’t pack that area well enough. Mine look the same size as a regular store bought granola bar…so even taking into account the edges I cut off, there is no way I could make 30?

124. Sam

January 23, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I just made these with half Craisins and half chocolate chips. I made them in a mini muffin pan – quick, already portioned pieces! Made about 30 filled all the way to the top and pressed tightly together. Baked for about 20 minutes. Next time I will definitely cut the sugar as I found them a little sweet, but of course my daycare kids love them!

• Sam

January 23, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I also added chia seeds and a scoop of peanut butter!

125. Pingback: Weekly Meal Plan

126. Jennifer

January 22, 2012 at 11:17 am

I am wondering what the nutritional info is on these? Like calories, fat and sugar content? Does anyone know?

• Sarah

February 2, 2012 at 8:13 am

There are lots of apps and websites out there where you could plug in the ingredients you use and figure it out. You could also read the labels on your ingredients and figure it all out. I’ve done this with lots of recipes. It takes a little time, but sometimes it’s worth it.

• Kristi

February 12, 2012 at 12:24 am

Sarah, do you know the name of any of those apps? I would love to install one onto my android phone.

127. actressdancer

January 18, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I’ve made these several times and they’ve always been a big hit. In my old oven, 30 minutes was perfect. My new one only takes 20-25 minutes. Baking them too long is what causes the crumbliness.

The last batch I did was my favorite. I used 1/2 cup raisins and 1/2 sunflower seeds instead of chocolate chips. I love that sweet and salty mix. I’ve also done them with only raisins, a little added flax seed, organic peanut butter chips, etc. The possibilities here are endless!

128. Kate

January 13, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I had such high hopes for these, and they smelled delicious while they were baking, but they turned out very crumbly for me. Almost like there wasn’t quite enough wet mixture to bind all the dry mix together, and when I tried to cut them, some of them held together but others just crumbled. (I guess I have chocolate chip granola now?) Could it be because I baked this on aluminum foil (sprayed) instead of parchment? Or did I not let them cool long enough? I waited 10 minutes but maybe I should’ve waited longer? Help!

• Molly

January 15, 2012 at 3:51 pm

i have made these many times and love them. i have never used the coconut and i have found that baking for 30 minutes is much better than 40. they are still chewy then. i make them pretty thick too. i think you should wait longer before cutting them. i wait more like 20 to 30 minutes before cutting. it makes it go smoother with less breakage. also, i like to use a pizza cutter to cut them. hope this helps!

• Margaret

January 18, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Pizza Cutter! Molly, that’s inspired! Thx :)

129. Eleonor

January 13, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Just made the bars but added a few extra ingredients. I put 1/4 cup ground flax seeds, 2tbs of wheat of germ, 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds. I baked it at 325f for 30min in a convection oven. I think because I added more dry ingredients, my bars came out crumbly. I had a feeling I should of added some more liquid. It tastes amazing though. I will be using it with Greek yogurt and fruit.

• Sarah

February 2, 2012 at 8:11 am

If you are baking in a convection oven, I would say you should probably cut the baking time in HALF. Or bake them in a deeper dish that you could cover.

130. Ashley Bond

January 11, 2012 at 9:56 pm

These were unbelievably easy and so delicious that I’ve had more than the kids. Chilling them in the fridge made them much less crumbly. I am looking forward to playing around with these – adding almonds, cranberries, flaxseed…a great base to create more grown-up morning bars. Love it! Thanks!

131. Krista

January 11, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Im confused! Lol First of all these are delish! So yummy! Are they suppose to be crunchy or chewey? Mine turned out pretty crunchy which I personally love but I bet my toddler wouls prefer chewier. I baked for 33 min and omitted the coconut because I didnt have any on hand at the time.

132. PT

January 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm

The only problem I had was with the baking time. I only needed 25 minutes in my oven.

Otherwise, this is a fantastic basic recipe with endless possibilities! I have made two batches with my 2 year old so far and I see many more in the future.
    Batch #1: Subbed canola oil for coconut oil, used fresh coconut (ground in food processor), and subbed half the chocolate chips for dried cherries.
    Batch #2: Subbed half the chocolate chips for cinnamon chips and the other half for raisins, subbed the coconut for pecans.
    Yum!

133. Free Premuim Accounts

January 10, 2012 at 11:43 am

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all folks you really recognise what you’re speaking about! Bookmarked. Please additionally visit my web site =). We could have a hyperlink change contract among us

134. Grace

January 10, 2012 at 10:27 am

Loved this recipe. I didn’t have enough oats, so I subbed crispy brown rice cereal – 2 cups oats, 2 cups rice crispies. I left out the flour, added 1/4 cup pepitas, and swapped golden raisins for the chocolate chips. My oven runs hot, so I only cooked for 25 minutes. I’d say at this ratio of oats to rice cereal, 20 mins would have been enough in my oven. Delish and makes so many. I keep the extras in the freezer and just take out a few at time. Another keeper Catherine. Thanks!

135. Gretta

January 6, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Could I substitute brown rice syrup for the honey?

136. the ecigarette

December 23, 2011 at 4:33 am

Hello, Neat post. There’s a problem along with your site in internet explorer, might test this? IE nonetheless is the marketplace chief and a big part of other folks will miss your magnificent writing because of this problem.

137. Morgan

December 14, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Has anyone tried adding rice krispies? I think I’m going to try 3 1/2C of oats and then 1/2C rice krispies and see how that turns out. I also added 1tsp of cinnamon the last time I made them. I LOVE chocolate and cinnamon together! Definitely need to decrease the baking time to 25-30 minutes this time too!

• Sarah

February 2, 2012 at 8:14 am

I love the idea of crisp rice in this recipe. I’m glad others had the same idea.

138. Sara

December 11, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I’ve made this recipe numerous times. I’ve had the best results when using a glass pan, doubling the honey, and baking for about 20 minutes.

139. Pauli

November 30, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I made these this morning and they turned out great!
    After reading the comments, I cooked them on Reynolds Release and that worked fine.
    Also I used an AirBake sheet and wondered if the different cooking times were related to what kind of cookie sheet people are using? I cooked them for 35 minutes and they are a little crunchy around the edges and chewy in the middle.

I can’t wait to try them with some dried fruit and maybe a few nuts.

140. Lindsay

November 29, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Just linked these to my blog! I’m making them with white chocolate chips and cranberries since that’s what’s in my pantry today! Love your site! :)

141. Rosie

November 29, 2011 at 12:13 am

I’ve just made these for the second time, and I think I’ve done much better! The first batch was just a pile of crumble so I used it as toasted muesli for brekky.

This time I added more honey, and also cooked at a lower temp for a bit longer.

Now I think I’ve learnt that I need to wait longer than 10mins for them to cool and cut- basically wait until they feel cool enough to the touch rather than a time.

But my girl just had one, all the while saying ‘yummy yummy yummy’!

142. Pingback: Recipe Review: Weelicious Granola Bars | Food it Forward

143. Amber

November 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! I just made my second batch and they are perfect!
    I used 2/3 cup dried cranberries (soaked in soy milk for 4 hours then drained) and 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (I used dairy & soy free chips from whole foods)
    Last time I made with 1 cup regular sized chips and it was a little too sweet and too much chocolate, this new combo and the smaller sized chips made them perfect for us.

I followed all directions as stated, except for 2 changes
    - I oiled the baking sheet instead of using parchment paper (it worked perfectly)
    - I cooked for 35 minutes which made for a perfect slightly chewy texture.
    I have an electric WOLF oven that cooks very evenly and true to temp so 35 for chewy and 40 for crunchy is perfect. I think differences in ovens are making for a big difference in baking times from other comments so wanted to mention more details in case it helps anyone.

I am going to make these every week! Thank you for this recipe!

144. Pingback: George

145. Melissa

November 8, 2011 at 6:50 pm

i just made them with 1/2 chocolate chips 1/2 soaked raisins. Cooked them for about 25 minutes or so. I too found that they are a little too crumbly. Any thoughts on either a little peanut butter or an egg? What have people done?

146. Kathy

November 8, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I love these granola bars. I found that 20 minutes in my oven is the perfect chewy texture and consistency for my and my kids. I make a batch each week. I usually only put in 3/4 of dark chocolate chips but this week I added some chopped up dried cherries – delicious.

Thanks for the recipe

147. Beth

November 8, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Interesting to see other comments – I made these exactly to recipe with my twins and had to go out and leave husband in charge of the oven – he took them out exactly on time and they were hard as rocks and overcooked – inedible.
    Kids and I then whizzed up a fast batch of Scottish flapjacks, which turned out great.

148. Alicia

November 3, 2011 at 8:26 am

Can you leave out the brown sugar? Could you add anything extra to give it more fiber?

• Melissa

November 8, 2011 at 2:43 pm

i would think flax seeds would be an easy nutty addition. haven’t tried but i don’t see any reason why not.

149. Pingback: chocolate chip granola bars. | Quirky Milo

150. Amy

October 15, 2011 at 2:11 pm

These are awesome! Yummy!!

151. hschwehr

October 13, 2011 at 11:11 am

I made these for a playgroup and they were the first things gobbled up. Thanks so much for this (and many other!) great recipe/s, Catherine. I subbed wheat germ for the 1/4 c. flour and they were fine. Also, when I pulled them out of the oven, they still looked a little soft but they harden a lot as they cool so dont overcook like I almost did.

• Stephanie

July 2, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Why did you sub wheat germ? Is it healthier?? Thanks!

152. Kitty

October 11, 2011 at 10:55 am

This recipe is fabulous! I used raisins and cranberries, instead of chocolate chips, and added a bit more agave (managed to run out of honey!) to bring it together a bit better. 3 out of 3 children loved it :-)

153. Zulema

October 6, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I made these and they came out nicely…this is the first time trying a recipe from weelicious and I love it…i will keep on trying out other recipies thanks to my lovely neighbour for recommending this site.

154. Julie

October 5, 2011 at 11:30 am

Could you use Agave instead of Honey?

October 5, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Yes you can :)

155. Jamie

October 1, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Totally delicious… Only baked them for 28 minutes and they were perfect.

The only thing I suggest for those who feel they aren’t holding together is to mix the wet/dry REALLY well… like, stir for several minutes until everything is wet… it takes a while, and you might think there’s too much dry, but eventually it all gets consistent. Then, really press it together into a rectangle, paying attention to the edges especially.

I put raw sunflower seeds, nuts, choc chips, and extra coconut… and… I ate one warm with peanut butter. mmmmm…

156. Amy

September 27, 2011 at 10:16 am

Will this recipe work with trader joes hot cereal of barley, rye oats and wheat? They have been out of the toasted oats and my boyfriend is begging for more of these bars!!!

157. Jen

September 24, 2011 at 11:29 am

tried these 2xs, both times, only like 1/3 of batch formed/stayed intact in bar form. The rest all crumbled….could this have been too long of a baking time? I didn’t think they tasted burned at all.
    Pepitas and raisins are a great combo!

158. Liz

September 24, 2011 at 8:05 am

Very yummy!! Will be making again!

159. Jessica

September 23, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I made these today, and also omitted the brown sugar. They were plenty sweet without it, and I absolutely LOVED the texture and taste. Mine were a little crumbly, too, but I just popped them back in for 10 minutes, and this seemed to set the “wet” parts. Great recipe… keep ‘em coming!

160. Kristi

September 19, 2011 at 9:03 am

Mine came out very crumbly, they taste great though. Any suggestions on how to make them stick together better?

• Amy

September 27, 2011 at 10:18 am

Mine were kinda crumbly so I wrapped in a square shape in saran wrap and threw them in the fridge and grabbed one as needed and it seemed to help

161. Jacqui

September 19, 2011 at 8:51 am

Do you think steel cut oats would work? Wanted to make these and just realized I only have steel cut. Thanks!

162. Kiera

September 19, 2011 at 12:41 am

I found these to be tasty, but really sweet, even substituting dried cherries for half of the chocolate chips. Also had a hard time with crumbling. I really want them to work so I’ll keep playing with the recipe but I’m not sure how to make them sticky enough to hold together while making them less sweet…

• Rachel M.

September 19, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Mine also came out too sweet. I’m going to try to omit the brown sugar next time.

163. Laurel

September 18, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I’m finding the wet to dry ratio isn’t making the dough adhere. Anyone have this problem?

• Tasha

September 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I am having the same problem Laurel

• Sara

September 20, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Me too. They were super crumbly after baking. I just ate them out of a bowl with a spoon. ;)

164. Amy

September 16, 2011 at 7:14 pm

These were awesome and the hard to please hubby said better then quakers

165. Jenny

September 15, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Would you put these in the freezer or fridge? I like to make big batches and have them handy for snacks…

• lyndsay

January 4, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I would also like to know if they could be frozen??

166. Sharidan Dillon

September 15, 2011 at 9:08 am

I wish I had read the comments first. I made these last night and took them out at 40 minutes but it was too late. They were slightly burned, falling apart, and way too crispy. I think the flavor was probably good, just cooked too long.
    For people that had them turn out good, are they chewy or crispy?

167. soanesk

September 14, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I used a silpat and they came out fine :)

168. Leslie Tyssen

September 14, 2011 at 2:30 pm

If I forego the coconut, what could I put in its place?

• Kayla

August 26, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I subbed flax seed mill in place of the coconut and it was great.

• HCinKC

September 26, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Yes, this. We aren’t coconut fans. More oatmeal or is there another option for subbing?

169. Thy

September 13, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Can you use a silpat?

• Shauna

September 14, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I am curious if you can use a silpat too. I hope someone responds, that would be easier than oil and remove the paper sticking to the bottom issue. I bet you can, I don’t see why not – so long as you don’t cut them while still on the silpat.

• M

September 27, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I used one and it worked great.

• rae

September 15, 2013 at 10:23 am

I used wax paper and everything stuck to the wax paper. Help!!!!
          I do a lot of baking and have yet to try the mats but might have too. Change is scary

September 16, 2013 at 10:35 am

Use PARCHMENT paper! Never wax paper in the oven!

• sunshinecoast143

December 14, 2011 at 3:11 am

What is silpat?

• Samantha McKenzie

January 16, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Look Silpat up online. They are awesome for baking things- you don’t have to grease the cookie sheet. Just don’t cut on it!

170. Jennifer

September 13, 2011 at 6:11 pm

These are super yummy and incredibly easy to make! I followed other posters suggestions and only cooked them for 30 minutes which worked out well. The only issue I have is that the parchment paper is completely stuck to the bottom of the entire batch and has become a pain in the neck.

I would definitely make these again but will not be using parchment paper!!

171. Kathryn

September 13, 2011 at 9:44 am

My raisins were hard and slightly burnt after 40 minutes. Next time, I think I’ll soak them in orange juice beforehand so they stay more moist.

172. Tiffany

September 12, 2011 at 2:38 pm

OMG! These are soooo good! Based on the comments, I stuck to about 30 minutes. And I used coconut oil…so so so good!

• Misti H

November 12, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Tiffany, did you use 1/2 cup of coconut oil? Did you measure the amount and then melt it? I have made these a bunch of times but would like to start making them with coconut oil and just wanted to know how you did it….thanks!

• Karen

January 3, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I would like to try using coconut oil as well – anyone have the answer as to how to measure the oil – solid or liquid? Thanks!

• kristine

January 6, 2012 at 11:55 pm

You measure the coconut oil AFTER it’s melted :)

173. Andrea

September 12, 2011 at 12:36 pm

We made these yesterday and they are soooo good, they taste like cookies! I used a smaller baking pan and took them out of the pan to cool after they cooled in the pan. I tried to cut them after just 10 minutes of cool time in the pan and they were still pretty crumbly, but once they cooled out of the pan on the cutting board they cut much more easily and kept their shape.

• Kristen

September 20, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I used olive oil and loved it. Just pulled out of over at 10:20 pm and i ate a bar….OMG i love chocolate!! I will try coconut oil, thanks!

174. Jen fitz

September 12, 2011 at 9:08 am

Yup, 40 min too long for me too. And it stuck to paper.
    Crumbled up what i could peel the paper off of and will use as topping for yogurt. Gonna try again though! Oh and my raisins were hard as a rock after baking. Will stick to chocolate.

• Kim

September 15, 2011 at 11:00 am

I was thinking about using raisins too. Good to know that it was so dry. I’ll try to soak mine in warm water before using them. That usually prevents them from drying out too much.

• Kristie Gleinn

September 27, 2011 at 8:41 am

you could try soaking the raisins for a bit before adding them. That way when they lose the water during cooking they wont dry out

175. Hope

September 11, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I just made these and they are in the oven right now! Can’t wait to try them!

176. Misti H

September 11, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Absolutely delicious! Made with safflower oil instead of canola and only baked for 25 minutes and they were nice and chewy! How long do you think they will keep when wrapped in saran wrap and in a zip lock?

177. Mia

September 10, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I am so excited to make these!!!

178. jodie

September 10, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Just made these and followed the recipe exactly, but 40 min was way too long for me. After 30 min mine were over cooked, almost burned. Thank god I checked them! Great recipe though, these will be a staple in our house.

179. Natasha

September 10, 2011 at 10:10 am

Just wondering….could we lightly grease the pan instead of using parchment paper? Has anyone tried this?

• Linda B

September 11, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I greased a metal baking pan with vegetable oil and they turned out just fine.

180. Allison

September 9, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Do you have any idea how many calories are in each bar? my husband eats zone bars for breakfast because he’s always counting calories. curious if you think these stack up to about the same per bar?

• Julieanne

September 30, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I put the recipe into my fitness pal as well but got something different… The only difference in what I made is I added about 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds. The recipe does not make 30 bars, unless you are making teeny tiny bite sized squares :) It makes about 18 if you cut them to normal granola bar size. My recipe was 200 calories per bar, It was around 180 something before I added the sunflower seeds. 27 carbs, 10 fat, 3 protein, 18 sugar, and 71 sodium. The next time I make it I will use less sugar, OH another thing I forgot I had to use sweetened shredded coconut; the store did not have unsweetened so that probably made a big difference. So the next time I make these I’ll aim for about 120 – 150 calories per bar. Still not bad since I eat more calories in the morning. YUM!

• chicadejmu

September 15, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I put the ingredients into myfitnesspal.com and it says the total calories in the recipe are 4367 so if you make 30 bars that’s 146 calories each. 20 grams carbs, 7 grams fat and 2 grams protein. I was curious about the calories too. :) Hope that helps!

181. Hope

September 8, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Could I use quick cooking oaks??

182. Karen

September 8, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Made these this morning and they are devine. I did half and half cranberries and chocolate chips. Could only find sweetened coconut so I reduced the sugar any I think it could be reduced even more as they are pretty sweet. Put the mix into a parchment lined metal 13 x9 pan and baked as directed. I did wait until they were completely cool before cutting and they did just fine. Soooo yummy!

183. Misty

September 7, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I made these subbing oat flour for whole wheat to make them gluten free. Omitted vanilla. Used 1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup brown rice syrup instead of all honey. Did 1/2 cup cranberries and 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Baked for exactly 30 minutes. Crispy on outside, chewy on inside. Totally awesome.

184. Catherine

September 7, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I made these last night. I used Kamut flour because I didn’t have ww flour on hand. The mix didn’t seem to stick together so what I did was I added more oil and honey(still not sure if this was the right thing to do). Raisins in place of chocolate chips. Omitted vanilla. After baking, they still didn’t seem to stick together well so I waited to see what the texture would be after cooling and they seemed to stick a little better but still falling apart. I cut them up VERY carefully into bars and refrigerated them overnight and today they were nice and crispy…which I don’t mind. I think the end result turned out good. Not sure if they were suppose to be chewy crispy but either way I enjoyed then and hope my son will to. BTW my son helped me a lot with this recipe and he enjoyed it…especially eating the raisins as they were going into the bowl :-)

185. Erica

September 7, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Based on previous comments, I modified my baking time. I used the entire real estate of 13×9 pan and baked them for 20 minutes. They’re perfect. Chewy and not crumbling apart.

186. amber

September 7, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I made these today!! Fabulous! I sprinkled a little bit of sea salt ontop too! They remind me of the oatmeal chocolate chip sea salt cookies on here. SOO GOOD!

187. Nagina

September 7, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I made these yesterday as an after-school snack and my 2-year old, 9-month old AND husband ate it up!! It made me feel so good when after my 2-year old put it in his mouth he said, “Mmmm!” This is a perfect snack to have at home, send to school or have on the go and is good for all ages!

I used 1/2 c. raisins and 1/2 c. choc chips. I only had 1/4 cup honey and used a bit of vegetable oil in addition to canola bc I ran out of the canola. The bars are kind of crumbly and break apart easily, so wondering if using less honey or vege oil was the reason. Will make again after I go shopping!

188. Amy

September 7, 2011 at 9:52 am

I’m sure these will be eaten up pretty quickly, but just wondering if I these would freeze well?

189. Jennifer

September 7, 2011 at 8:45 am

-13×9″ dish/size was way too big. I ended up using half of it, and smushing the mixture all to one side.

-Seems like it needs more liquid mixture. Was very crumbly when pressing into pan. I used 1/3 choc.chips, and a sprinkle of Reese chips.

-Seemed dry after baking @ 305 for 40min, bars were crumbling as I cut them. More like a nature valley granola bar, rather than chewy.

Seem really good and smelled divine. Maybe more honey? Molasses? or less oats? :(

190. April amiel

September 6, 2011 at 10:39 pm

These actually came out reasly good, even though I only had 1/4 cup of honey. Also added a bit of cinnamon and used raisins instead of chocolate. Yum! I’d say that 30 bars is a stretch though, they’re really small.

191. Alina M.

September 6, 2011 at 10:25 pm

We made these today. We used agave instead of honey and brown sugar. We also used 1/2 c chocolate chips and 1/2 c raisins. Olive oil instead of canola oil. They were excellent!

192. Liz

September 6, 2011 at 8:32 pm

These are delicious! I made them tonight using Craisins instead of chocolate chips and they are great. I’m looking forward to getting creative with this recipe as we get back into a routine this fall!

193. Jen

September 6, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I made these this afternoon. I substituted maple syrup for the honey. They are delicious but I think I made them too thin…so they are hard and crunchy. I see by your photo that yours are thicker. Does that mean they are chewier? Thanks for the great recipe and will be making these again since they are already going fast!

194. Elisha

September 6, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Also I think brown rice syrup would be a great substitute for the honey. I’ve made granola bars in the past that called for brown rice syrup and it worked great.

195. Katy

September 6, 2011 at 7:06 pm

this may be silly, but can I use quick oats?

• Stephanie

July 2, 2012 at 3:59 pm

You can but they won’t be as healthy :)

196. Elisha

September 6, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I made these today and they were SO GOOD!!! They are half gone so my kids loved them. My only question is, mine turned out really hard and crispy, sort of like the oat and honey granola bars that are hard. Are they supposed to be chewy and soft? If so then I think they baked too long. I put them in at 325 for 40 min but I think next time I will only do it for 20 min. Has anyone else had any problems with that? Other than that they were GOOD!

197. Makai

September 6, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I think someone else had this same question…what else can I substitute for honey? Agave nectar or coconut nectar, brown rice syrup? We’ve got honey allergies here, but I love honey. Thanx!

198. cynthia

September 6, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I used olive oil when I tried it this morning & most of the bars stuck together well but not all – would canola work better?

199. Sarah

September 6, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Whipped up in less than 15 minutes…currently cooking in the oven. Kindie son is excited!

200. Tammy

September 6, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Thank you so much for the recipe, will be making these tomorrow!, I’m only missing the shredded coconuts, Thanks again !

201. christine

September 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Does anyone know if I can substitute applesauce for the oil (as in most baking recipes)? I try to steer away from canola oil and I’m sure olive would overpower the rest of the ingredients… Thanks!

• Bet

August 26, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I bet coconut oil would be great in these…I’ve used it in a granola recipe before and it was yummy!

• Amy H.

September 7, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I would suggest using coconut oil…..it would be very tasty!

• Marishannon

September 7, 2011 at 9:22 am

I wouldn’t think applesauce would work well in this type of recipe. Have you ever tried safflower? I don’t use canola either and instead ufse this when I need something a little less powerful than olive.

• Sarah

September 7, 2011 at 10:36 am

I was going to also suggest safflower. You could also try grape seed oil. I think that is a flavor neutral oil.

• christine

September 12, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Thank you!

202. amber

September 6, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Can’t wait to try these. My 3 year old loves cranberries…so I will be adding 1/2 cup of cranberries and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. What a great treat/snack to add to her lunch box for preschool.

203. Mya

September 6, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Ok so mine crumbled all to pieces! What did I do wrong? This has always been my granola bar dilemma!

• Jill D.

September 15, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Tried again on a more humid day (40%) and let them cool all the way. It was much more successful!

• Jill D.

September 13, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Crumbly mess for me too. :( I also used a 13 x 9 pan. I thought the mixture was a bit dry when I put it into the oven. It could be a humidity issue, we have been covering around 20% or lower humidity.

• Erin

September 9, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Mine crumbled too. Hm! I did mine in a baking pan 9×13 and then were about 1 inch thick – is it because I did it in a pan? However they taste AMAZING and my daughter is eating one right now – even if it is in pieces!

• Tanya

September 6, 2011 at 9:38 pm

You may be making them too thin. When I made them I only used half of my cookie sheet. I used a piece of parchment paper and placed it on top to squish the mixture together to form a solid square. I then took the parchment paper off and put the granola mixture into the oven. It worked like a charm. :)

204. Julie p

September 6, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Also a big fan after just having made the banana chocolate chip cookies in bar form last night and the entire fam wolfing them down for breakfast this morning. I agree that these are way overpriced in the stores! Well done.

205. Lindsay Etherington

September 6, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I’m baking these right now and interested to see how they’ll turn out … is the mixture supposed to be pretty dry?

206. Jessica Best

September 6, 2011 at 1:53 pm

What can I use instead of honey? would maple syrup or something work?

207. Dana

September 6, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Def going to try these-most store brands have nuts and we are allergic

208. Mandy

September 6, 2011 at 1:30 pm

After an epic fail in making my own granola bars last night- I am super excited to try this recipe. AND I just saw your fruit and seed bars which may fit the bill for my peanut/tree nut free daycare child! Thanks :)

209. Nikki C

September 6, 2011 at 1:20 pm

In the oven right now :-) I did use a gluten free flour blend for my middle child :-) She will be so happy.

210. Shannon

September 6, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Awesome recipe, I can’t wait to try it! I have a request for you…Ya know how some that you buy in the store have been dipped in yogurt and it kinda dries like an icing? Any suggestions on how to do that? DH eats bars every day and he really likes the yogurt dipped ones.

• Catherine

September 6, 2011 at 3:28 pm

You can buy yogurt chips, (like chocolate chips), then melt and dip! :D

211. Tanya

September 6, 2011 at 11:32 am

They’re baking in my oven right now! It was so fun to be able to make these with my 15 month old. It was the first time I was actually able to let her lick the spoon (one of my favorite memories as a child)! I made mine with 1/2 cup of chopped raisins and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Yum!

For those who don’t want coconut (or cant use it), just omit it. The bars will turn out perfectly with or without the addition. This is a pretty basic recipe you can play with so have fun! :)

212. Caitlin

September 6, 2011 at 11:26 am

Do you think i can substitute brown rice syrup for the honey??

• Alina M.

February 4, 2012 at 10:01 am

Since Catherine posted the recipe I have been making these with my 2 and 1/2 year old son and we use only honey (almost 1 c) and they turn out great each time we make them. Our whole family loves them.

• Stephanie

July 2, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Thanks for sharing about the honey!!! I didn’t want to use any sugar! :)

213. Colleen

September 6, 2011 at 11:18 am

These sound yummy and the price is right!! My son has food allergies and can’t have wheat (Gluten) flour. Which other type of flour would you recommend? Thanks so much! Can’t wait to try these.

• Aya

September 3, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I made these GF by subbing out the flour for the Bob’s Red Mill Biscuit mix, and had great results. The taste of bean flour was not there at all. The bonus was that the mix contained all the Xanthum Gum, so I didn’t have to worry about that. Also worked great with coconut oil instead of the canola.

• tedntric

September 11, 2012 at 9:50 pm

So glad to read that coconut oil worked! I made these GF with King Arthur’s all purpose GF flour and they are beyond delicious. I can see my popularity increasing with our 3 little ones!

• Stefani

September 23, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I have made these with oat flour and quinoa flour both turned out amazing!

• Julie

September 9, 2011 at 7:36 am

You could try oatmeal flour.

214. Amy

September 6, 2011 at 10:54 am

Can I use vegetable oil instead of canola it’s what I have on hand? These look delicious and was just looking at how exspensive they are in the store! Thanks Amy

• Linda B

September 11, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I used veggie oil and they still turned out great. :)

• mandi@herbanhomestead

September 24, 2012 at 8:43 am

I would try virgin coconut oil instead. It is a healthy oil and will add that extra coconut flavor! Yum!

215. Karen

September 6, 2011 at 10:46 am

they are in the oven right now and my 3-year-old is licking the spoon – yum! Can’t wait to taste them. We have local honey that’s really good. thanks!

September 6, 2011 at 10:49 am

We got some local honey at our farmers market this weekend too. So fresh tasting! I give it to the kids whenever they have a sore throat :)

216. Fenella

September 6, 2011 at 10:20 am

Do you wrap them in saran wrap to keep them fresh?

September 6, 2011 at 10:51 am

I wrap them individually so I can give them to the kids like I would a pre-wrapped bar. This way I can just carry a few in my purse when they’re hungry.

217. Kirstin

September 6, 2011 at 10:07 am

Great, simple recipe! We are on a snack rotation for my son’s kindergarten class. These will be perfect! Thanks Katherine!

218. Andrew Jefferson

September 6, 2011 at 9:42 am

Fantastically informative many thanks, I think your visitors would certainly want more blog posts similar to this maintain the great content.

219. Brenda

September 6, 2011 at 9:41 am

No, I haven’t bought em in a while. But idk is a dollar a bar. It’s more like 2 bucks for a box of 6 or 8. Nevertheless, the bars in this recipe are better priced & probaly taste better.

220. Komal NARAYAN

September 6, 2011 at 9:25 am

what can I substitute for the coconut?

221. sarah

September 6, 2011 at 9:17 am

What do you suggest individually wrapping them in?
    Thanks : ) They sound yummy!

September 6, 2011 at 10:50 am

I individually wrapped them with plastic wrap. This way the kids could open them easily on their own.

222. Camille

September 6, 2011 at 8:11 am

So funny my friend and I were talking about this exact thing at the beach the other day!! And this was the website where I told her she would be able to find a recipe!! Thanks for putting this on here today! Can’t wait to try them, esp since I can use all of the organic ingredients that I have and not worry about buying ones that aren’t totally organic! Can’t wait to see how they come out!

223. yeni

September 6, 2011 at 7:57 am

These sound great. I’ll definitely be making these this week. The recipe seems versatile too. I can see myself trying these with peanut butter chips or dried fruit. Thanks!

224. Tina

September 6, 2011 at 7:50 am

These look wonderful, thank you! Most granola bar recipes contain ingredients my daughter can’t eat due to allergies. These are nice and simple. :)

225. Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama

September 6, 2011 at 7:29 am

The only problem with homemade granola bars in our house is they get eaten up too quickly! These look tasty.

226. Brittan

September 6, 2011 at 7:10 am

Yay! Can’t wait to try these! I’ve tried a few different recipes for them, but haven’t love them.

227. Katie | Healthnut Foodie

September 6, 2011 at 6:49 am

Interesting addition of flour. I’ve never seen that in a granola bar before. We like to add sunflower seeds, almonds, and dried cherries to ours…more like a trail mix bar. Lol about your hubby’s chocolate in the morning comment!

• keaton21us

September 26, 2012 at 11:50 pm

I wonder if almond meal (flour) would do the same thing? I make granola with almost the same ingredients. For this I used virgin coconut oil. They taste great.

228. CCMom

September 6, 2011 at 6:18 am

Wow! I currently make my own bars, but not too often. I recipe I have is way to high in calories. I’m looking forward to trying these out!

229. Karen

September 6, 2011 at 5:46 am

These sound great and easy! we don’t like coconut over here – can we substitute that for something or leave it out? Thanks!

• Karen

September 7, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Just made this without the coconut and they came out great. I may have overcooked the edges, but otherwise no adjustments needed! thanks!

September 6, 2011 at 10:48 am

I think it would be fine to leave it out. If you try it, let me know your results!

• jkdm81

September 6, 2011 at 8:22 am

Yeah, we have one that can’t eat coconut, so would love to know how to substitute it.