Cranberry Apple Chutney

Kenya would eat an entire jar of homemade cranberry sauce on its own if given the chance -- he actually tried to do it once last year when I wasn't looking. I didn't have to worry about him getting his share of antioxidants for a while because he basically got a month's worth in that one sitting.

When I was growing up, my mother always used to make a cranberry dish for Thanksgiving. This is my twist on her recipe which includes bite-sized pieces of celery, apple and onions.

With grated apple to give extra texture and a whole cinnamon stick for added flavor, my little guy has had sights on this new cranberry creation from the moment I started working on it. I am happy to report that Kenya would happily eat this Cranberry Apple Chutney all on its own with relish (get it? Chutney? With relish?), but with all the turkey testing I've been doing recently, he's been enjoying it the way I intended: alongside a nice slice of turkey.

Check out the links below for more holiday side dishes!

Feed Me Phoebe: Stir-Fried Collard Greens with Ginger and Jalapeno
The Heritage Cook: Sweet & Lightly Spicy Corn Pudding
The Lemon Bowl: Sweet Potato and Corn Hash
Jeanette's Healthy Living: Clean Eating Holiday Side Dish Recipes
Weelicious: Cranberry Apple Chutney
Dishing: Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Honey and Spices
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Cranberry-Pistachio Pilaf
Taste with the Eyes: Fresh Green Beans, Mexican-Style
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Italian Green Beans with Tomatoes and Pesto
Red or Green? Green Chile Pork Stew (v2) and Tamales
Virtually Homemade: Cheese Ravioli with Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Pomegranate
Domesticate Me: Farro Risotto with Prosciutto, Parmesan and Brussels Sprouts
The Sensitive Epicure: Butter Dipped Radishes with Sea Salt
Daily*Dishin: Best Holiday Dressing
FN Dish: No-Brainer Holiday Sides

Cranberry Apple Chutney  (makes 3 Cups)

• 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  • 1 12 oz bag fresh cranberries
  • 1 green apple, peeled and diced
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cinnamon stick

1. 1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a saucepan over medium heat and cook the onions and celery for 5 minutes or until tender.
  2. 2. Add the remaining ingredients, stir, cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally while cooking.
Cranberry Apple Chutney

Comments

1. Pingback: Menu Today » Blog Archive » No-Brainer Holiday Sides — Fall Fest

2. Pingback: No-Brainer Holiday Sides — Fall Fest | SHEKNOWSLATINO

3. Pingback: Sweet Potato and Corn Hash Recipe - The Lemon Bowl

4. Pingback: French Green Beans, Mexican-Style • Taste With The Eyes • where the image is meant to titillate and inspire the cook

5. Pingback: 16 Clean Eating Holiday Side Dish Recipes - Jeanette's Healthy Living

6. Pingback: 25 Healthy, Kid-Friendly Ideas for Thanksgiving | mysuperfoods

7. Kim Saf

January 9, 2012 at 3:32 pm

After Thanksgiving a local grocery store was clearing out their cranberries for 50 cents a bag. I bought 2 bags and made this recipe (3/4 c. sugar was sweet enough for us) with one and froze the other. My husband and I LOVE this sauce served with salmon. I just took out the frozen cranberries and made another batch. If I had realized how delicious and easy this was, I would have bought more cranberries!

8. Beata

November 30, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I made it for Thanksgiving and it was delicious!!!!!

• Ashlee L

December 2, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I made it for Thanksgiving as well and 100% agree – so yummy!

9. Jen

November 23, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I just made this and it is really good!! I am not really a cranberry fan, either. I halfed the recipe, as I only had 7oz. of cranberries. I did add a splash of water halfway because it was sticking to my stainless pan, but prob wasn’t necessary. Love this, thanks for the great recipe!!

10. truth seeker

November 23, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I want a free Macbook Pro and I only want to give out my address for them to ship it to. I dont want to give out much else.

11. jen

November 23, 2011 at 5:01 pm

how many servings does it make?

12. danielle

November 23, 2011 at 10:55 am

this sounds great!

how long will this keep in the fridge?

thanks :)

13. Kristi

November 22, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Do you list these recipes under age categories? I will be starting my 5 month old on food next month and would love to know which recipes I can start out with.

November 23, 2011 at 1:23 am

Here’s a list of recipes that are perfect for new eaters. http://weelicious.com/category/recipes-6-9-months/ I would start with single fruits and veggies and then once your baby has tried a few things you can mix them together. What a fun time, enjoy and feel free to ask any questions!

14. Lisa K

November 22, 2011 at 2:07 pm

No liquid at all? My older daughter’s favorite dish is my cranberry/apple sauce but I always use about a cup of liquid (orange juice or apple cider). Yours looks much thicker which would be preferred but I am curious on the cranberries cooking and “popping” without the liquid. Also, do you mash it up quite a bit before serving?

15. Sarah

November 22, 2011 at 9:42 am

Looks really yummy! I wouldn’t have thought of the onion and celery either, but I’ll have to give it a try. I bet it’s delicious with turkey. I was assigned to bring cranberry sauce for my toddler’s class Harvest Feast today, so I made up a cranberry apple sauce (I didn’t want to serve them the cups of sugar that are in the usual cranberry sauce). I used 10 honeycrisp apples (another sweet variety would work too), 2 cups fresh (or frozen, I tried it both ways) cranberries, 1/4 cup apple cider, 1/4 cup real maple syrup and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon – let that simmer away on the stove and mash. It’s delicious, and my little guy can’t get enough of it!

November 23, 2011 at 1:20 am

YUM!! I’m totally trying that combo. Thanks for the great idea!

• amanda

November 22, 2011 at 2:51 pm

sounds yummy! i’m going to try this for thanksgiving dinner!

16. Katie | Healthnut Foodie

November 22, 2011 at 7:35 am

Fun! I never would have thought to add onion and celery, but this sounds great! My kids also chow down on the cranberry-apple sauce I posted last week! I used real maple syrup instead of sugar, which they love! Tks for sharing!

November 23, 2011 at 1:20 am

The apples, celery and onion give it tons of texture and flavor without being overpowering at all. It’s way good!