Broccoli Cheese Patties

Broccoli Cheddar Patties

Yum

I'm an obsessive magazine reader. In fact, my constant jones for magazines is almost as bad as my lifelong addiction to cookbooks. At any given time you can find at least a dozen magazines, just within reaching distance, piled high on my night table. One of my favorites is Los Angeles Magazine and when their Farmer's Market edition arrived in the mail this month, I was like a baby being given a huge piece of candy.

One of the best articles in the issue was an apples to apples comparison (no pun intended) of shopping at an everyday chain grocer, an upscale chain grocer and a farmers' market for the same amount of vegetables for a roast vegetable dish. The goal of the experiment was to see not only which vegetables cost the least, but also tasted the best.

It probably comes as no surprise to you that I wouldn't have written this post unless the farmers' market was the hands down winner! It won handily, for both cost and flavor! That made me especially happy since I frequently confront the misperception that farmers' markets are more expensive than super markets.

At this time of year when you can easily find things like potatoes, broccoli and cheese to make this delicious side dish, I hope you can find them where you're able to get the freshest produce possible!

Broccoli & Cheese Patties  (Makes 12 Patties)

• 1 russet potato, peeled and cubed
  • 1 cup broccoli florets
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 3 tablespoons panko or bread crumbs
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/8 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1/8 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1/2 cup panko or bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil

1. 1. Place the potato cubes in a steamer pot over boiling water and cook for 8 minutes.

2. 2. Add the broccoli to the steamer pot and steam the vegetables for an additional 2 minutes, or until they are fork tender. Then, remove everything from pot and allow them to cool.
  3. 3. Mash the potatoes in a large bowl and chop the broccoli florets into bite-size pieces.
  4. 4. Add the broccoli, cheese, panko, salt, egg, garlic and onion powder to the bowl and combine.
  5. 5. Place the remaining 1/2 cup of panko in a separate bowl.
  6. 6. Using a ice cream scoop or 2 tbsp to measure, roll the mixture into balls, coat them in the panko and then shape each one into a small patty.*
  7. 7. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a skillet over medium heat, place the patties in the skillet and press down with a spatula to flatten a little.
  8. 8. Pan-fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden.
  9. 9. Serve with ketchup or any favorite dipping sauce.
  10. To Freeze: After Step 6, place the patties on a baking sheet and freeze for one hour. Put the patties in zipper bags and label. Defrost when ready to use and cook following step #7.
Broccoli & Cheese Patties

Comments

1. jody

November 19, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I just baked these and they turned out great!!
    350 10 minutes on each side

• jody

November 19, 2014 at 4:01 pm

i put parchment paper on a baking sheet and sprayed with oil from a mister, and then sprayed the patties once i placed them

2. heather

November 7, 2014 at 11:26 am

These are great! I cook them in my ‘george foreman’ grill- like a sandwich press. Then I don’t have to turn them and they seem to stick together better.

3. Pingback: Parmesan Roasted Potatoes | OptimaFood

4. Pingback: Broccoli Cheese Patties | Modern Latina Mommy

5. Kristin

June 26, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Thank you for this recipe! You are a genius when it comes to toddler meals. Mine normally flips out over even normal things kids love like rice, potatoes, and corn. He lives on chicken nuggets and sunbutter/jelly sandwiches, which is not what I strive for at all. But you know what? He ate these and loved them, and therefore, I love you for making day have one less fight over food and for getting something healthy in his little body. I am telling every mommy I know about your website. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

6. Yachinda

February 1, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Thank youuu so much for the recipe. My picky 18 month old took this and said “yummy!”. Please keep recipes like this coming.

7. Pingback: The Picky Eater | How to Get Toddlers to Eat Vegetables

8. mamawit

December 21, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I used my microwave steamer and pureed the broccoli so my picky eaters couldn’t see it. And I used frozen to I used frozen broccoli. They turned out great and my picky 2 year old and hubby are eating them!

9. mamawit

December 4, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Do you use fresh or frozen broccoli for yours? Or does it matter?

• Catherine McCord

December 5, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Use fresh broccoli! Frozen, once defrosted, is too wet!

10. Pingback: Southern Country Green Beans and New Potatoes | Dishin & Dishes

11. Pingback: Eat Your Veggies | Charlotte Moms Blog

12. Pingback: Sweet Potato & Broccoli Veggie Patties | From the Little Yellow Kitchen

13. Pingback: Summer Fest: 5 Ways to Prepare Sweet Potatoes | Cooking Bookmarks

14. Pingback: Ease Out of Summer with Potatoes — Summer Fest | Cooking Bookmarks

15. Pingback: Sweet Potato Souffle (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free, Paleo, ACD)

16. Pingback: ensalada de papas a la huancaina (peruvian-style salad with potato cake, egg, and yellow chile) • Taste With The Eyes • where the image is meant to titillate and inspire the cook

17. Pingback: Parmesan Roasted Potatoes Recipe

18. Pingback: Tastetrotting: Marmitako a.k.a Basque Tuna Stew with Peppers and Potatoes | Feed Me Phoebe

19. adrimolina

September 14, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Did you change this recipe? I remember making them a few months ago and baking them..I don’t remember the recipe requiring potatoes either..I just wanted to tell you that they came out amazing!!! YUM! They are SO good! thank you!!

20. Victoria

September 3, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Can this be baked instead ? I’m trying to keep it low fat :)

• Joy B.

November 6, 2013 at 8:10 am

Hi Victoria! While low fat is actually not healthy I wouldn’t use the oils this recipe calls for. Those choices ARE unhealthy. If you were to use expeller pressed coconut oil, you would be using a truly healthy oil that is loaded with health benefits and is in no way fattening while staying true to the feel and flavor of this recipe. Good luck :)

21. Jennie

August 20, 2013 at 11:54 pm

LOVE these! And so does my extremely picky 2 year old so I’m stoked. We also add pureed cauliflower to up the veggie count :)

22. Sara

August 17, 2013 at 8:16 pm

These were great! Super easy and quick!

23. smellyjunk8@hotmail.com

July 13, 2013 at 12:01 pm

I used turnips instead of potato. Still good!

24. Pingback: Cooking for a Modern Family, Mission Possible: Guest Post | Feta & Arepa

25. Katie

June 30, 2013 at 3:50 pm

These were really tasty, but I had a very hard time with them falling apart and sticking to the pan. I think next time I’ll add more panko in Step 4.

• smellyjunk8@hotmail.com

July 14, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I also had a hard time forming patties at first — I added chickpea flour and it solved the problem.

26. Pingback: Toddler Recipes | A Little Nutrition

27. Joy

June 17, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Do you know the calories protein etc?

June 18, 2013 at 2:09 pm

We are working on getting nutritional information for all these recipes! Coming soon!

28. Pingback: Guest Post: Toddler Bites from Weelicious - 100 Days of Real Food

29. tragre

June 1, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I was wondering, can these be reheated? I want to make these and send with my one-year-old to preschool. They only have a microwave. . . what do you think?

June 3, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I think a few seconds in the microwave would be okay! Too long and they’ll probably get rubbery, though.

30. Magee

April 14, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Great recipe–thank you! I didn’t coat them in the extra panko (my son’s been off breading lately) and he loved them. What a relief since he’s been pushing away almost everything this week!!

31. ANN NGUYEN

February 21, 2013 at 3:17 am

Do you think The eggs can cook through ?just worry for my 14 months toodler if the egg not cook well
    Thanks

February 21, 2013 at 11:41 am

Yes, the egg cooks through!

32. erica90250

February 20, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Thank you Catherine! My 2 & 4 year old boys love these patties! Even the husband ate a few :)

33. Uma

February 5, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Very nice collection of recipes

34. Dottie

January 4, 2013 at 11:15 am

I would like to join your mailings. Thank You!

35. Pingback: Green smoothie, pizza, broccoli patties, etc | Mom's Quest

36. Carrie

December 10, 2012 at 10:16 am

Can you freeze them after the final step? We had leftovers and I wanted to see if you had tried it that way?

December 10, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I haven’t frozen them after baking, but I’m sure that would be okay!

• Jess

February 11, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Could these be baked instead of pan fried? This looks like a great way to get my boy to eat some broccoli!

37. Danielle Z.

November 19, 2012 at 3:41 pm

My son is allergic to egg. Do you recommend replacing it with something specific? Can’t wait to try these :)

November 19, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I haven’t tried an egg replacer in this recipe. The egg holds it all together so I bet 1 tablespoon of ground flax mixed with 3 tablespoons of water would work!

38. Kim H.

November 5, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Thanks so much for this recipe! These were soooo good, my husband and I finished the last batch before the kids even got to try any. Whoops. I’m making them again tonight and promise not to eat them all this time. (BTW – found you on Pinterest). Thanks again!

39. Nancy

October 25, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Can i freeze these before frying stage?

October 25, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Yes! If you look at the bottom of the recipe directions there is instructions for freezing! I changed it to say, “To Freeze” so it is easier to see! :) Freeze them in a single layer on a baking sheet for 1 hour (until they are frozen through) then transfer to a zippered baggie or other freezer appropriate container. When ready to cook the, defrost (I like to let them defrost in the fridge. If you put them in there in the morning they should be ready by dinner time) and cook according to the recipe directions!

• Nancy

October 25, 2012 at 3:11 pm

oop’s Thank you very much:)

40. tori carson

October 22, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Amazing! I just made these and they taste SO good! Even the picky eater of the family likes it :) just add a little salt when they’re done and they taste like sonic’s cheesy tots

41. tori carson

October 22, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Amazing! I just made these and they taste so good! Even the picky eater of the family likes them :)

42. Cynthia

October 12, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Hi there…,first just want to say thank you for sharing this receipe. I just try it and it was delicious! But i added salmon and turn out perfect :-) It’s easy to make and i think it’s something that everyone would love,

43. Caiti L.

October 1, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Can I replace the potato with rice? or add rice? This recipe reminds me of my Grandma’s “Green Rice”… It would be fun to eat it in patty form :)

October 1, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I bet rice would work! Give it a try and let me know how it comes out!

44. Vari

September 8, 2012 at 3:44 pm

What a great recipe. Never witten a review before but you can’t go wrong with this one. I am making this right now as an appetizer for a get together tonight! YUM!

45. Pingback: All Things Broccoli - Great Recipes for Broccoli TodaysMama

46. Jenn Harms

August 21, 2012 at 10:31 am

Can you bake these? What time and temperature? I’m really excited to try this recipe!!

August 21, 2012 at 11:14 am

I haven’t tried baking them, but if I were I would do 350 for probably 15 minutes!

• dina

September 8, 2012 at 8:11 am

can i refrigerate the mixture….i made too much but don;t want to freeze? thanks!

September 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Yes, you can refrigerate the mixture for about three days!

47. Tempsette

August 20, 2012 at 10:28 pm

This is my wife’s account (and favorite recipe site), but i have to say, these came out amazing. My 12 month old fussy-eater ate half the batch for lunch today. The wife is making one of the stir fry recipes tonight ( http://weelicious.com/2011/06/13/stir-fried-brown-rice-chinese-noodles/ ), hopefully with similar results.

When I used the ice cream scoop I only got six patties, but that’s probably because 2 tbsp. is 1 oz. and a standard (American) ice cream scoop is 2 oz. The 2 oz. version reminded me of a burger patty, which I will be sure to re-utilize.

48. April

July 28, 2012 at 2:25 pm

My one year old triplets love these- I don’t have alot of time and this is perfect-easy, quick, and I can make them ahead and freeze them! Thank you:)

49. Sarah

July 9, 2012 at 3:53 pm

My daughter (just turned 1) generally eats whatever I give her- with the exception of broccoli. For some reason, she shoves it away every time. But she just devoured these! Thanks.

50. Lisa

June 14, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Just made for lunch today for me and my girls (3 1/2 & 2). They are so yummy! My 3 1/2 year old ate hers and also helped me do the panko breading. My 2 year old was being a picky pants, so no go. I will definately try these again, especially if I EVER have leftover mashed potatoes. :-)

51. Laura

June 13, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Had these for dinner last night with corn on the cob on the side. They were all devoured in minutes. Fantastic.

52. Leesh

May 3, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Don’t bake them! I tried it and the texture was blah.

53. MicIhelle

January 16, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Just made these for lunch for my 16 month old daughter. She didn’t want them at all. But I have a feeling she wasn’t very hungry. Will save for dinner tonight and try again. I thought they were yummy. I did only get 9 1/2 out of this though, not 12. And that was using an ice cream scoop that wasn’t completely full.

54. Pingback: B is for Broccoli – Recipe Roundup

55. Pingback: I’m letting the chores slide. « Lost in the Reflection

56. Pingback: Green smoothie, pizza, broccoli patties, etc

57. MontanaRed

January 4, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Definitely going to try these… HECK I might even start eating broccoli!! Thank you!

58. Kendra

January 4, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Made these yesterday for lunch for my one year old and myself. I added some chopped spinach and very finely chopped mushrooms for extra veggie variety and some Parmesan cheese (I used a little less grated cheddar than was called for). They were fantastic!

My little guy has been starting to turn up his nose at veggies (I think he’s had a few too many treats over the holidays) but he devoured these as fast as they were coming out of the pan.

How do you get yours so thin though? When I tried to flatten them the edges crumbled and fell apart in the pan. They ended up more like flattened nuggets (didn’t hurt the flavor at all but I’m wondering what I was doing wrong).

59. Jann

December 24, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Could these be baked in the oven instead of fried?

• Evie

January 17, 2012 at 9:43 am

Wondering the same about baking.

60. Natasha

December 14, 2011 at 7:38 pm

We love them! We have also made it with sweet potatoes and leftover mash potatoes. They came out great.

61. Jennifer

December 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm

WOW! These were awesome!

62. Figgy

December 8, 2011 at 10:14 pm

We just made these tonight and they were awesome! My 2 year old loved smashing the potatoes and stirring the ingredients. He even enjoyed eating them, which really surprised me since he doesn’t like potatoes of any kind! Thanks for all the awesome recipes.

63. j

December 6, 2011 at 10:33 am

can i replace potatoes w/ some white beans (cooked) w/ the same outcome?

64. Aga

December 6, 2011 at 2:07 am

Made those for my boys for dinner tonight, my 11-month-old loved them, he ate almost 4!, and my picky 3-year-old took few bites. My husband and I thought they were tasty and I loved that they were easy and quick to make. We’ll make them again soon!

65. Karen

November 30, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Made it last night and it was delish
    I used a Yukon gold potato instead of a Russet
    Also I combined some salsa and sour cream for a dipping sauce…Cant wait to make it again!

66. Tasha

November 30, 2011 at 9:14 am

Made these last night and called them crabby patties. Kiddos loved them! Even my seven yr old who has refused to eat potatoes thus far his entire life ate these patties up without blinking. Awesome.

67. Alissa Roswick

November 29, 2011 at 9:38 pm

With 3 heads of broccoli in the garden that must be eaten pronto… I will make this for lunch tomorrow and some to freeze. They sound fab!

68. Kimmy

November 29, 2011 at 5:04 am

Would cauliflower work instead broccoli?

• Kimmy

November 30, 2011 at 3:56 am

So I made these yesterday with caulifower and my little guy loved them! He never eats vegetables, so it was a big success! They were kind of falling apart though when I fried them, any idea why and how to avoid it? Thanks

December 1, 2011 at 12:49 am

You could try adding a bit more breadcrumbs next time. That should do the trick!

69. rebecca

November 28, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Making them as we speak,,,, I was out of bread crumbs so I toasted up a bunch of bread ends and ran them through the food processor hope they work just as good.

70. Alex R

November 28, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Nice post can’t wait to see more

71. Dave J

November 28, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Awesome writing would love to see more from you

72. esophian

November 28, 2011 at 6:17 pm

i have found that a great way to mince up the broccoli for these kinds of recipes it to just use a box grater and grate the broccoli florets. then you actually don’t even need to pre-cook them, the bits are small enough to cook in the frying pan.

73. kathy

November 28, 2011 at 5:50 pm

can i omit the cheese. My daughter has a dairy allergy… we use vegan gourmet cheese for pizzas but it is highly processed, so i dont like to use it often. thanks!

December 1, 2011 at 12:43 am

Yes, you can use vegan cheese or you can leave it out.

74. Kate

November 28, 2011 at 3:11 pm

These are my daughter’s favourites – I’ve been making them for months!

kate

75. lisa

November 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I just made these delicious. I tweaked it a little I happen to have mozzerella cheese on hand so I used that instead. They turned out delicious. I think my kids are going to love them.

November 28, 2011 at 4:31 pm

So happy, mozzarella is a great idea!

76. yeni

November 28, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Interesting. Will definitely try this one. My boy also loves your Broccoli and Carrot Orzo recipe. I make that once in a while, especially in a pinch since it’s so easy.

77. leslie

November 28, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Oh, do those look yummy! These will definitely be on our menu this week. All of my daughter’s favorite veggies too!

78. Alice

November 28, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I have a child with an egg allergy but would love to try this recipe…any suggestions for an egg replacement?

November 28, 2011 at 4:36 pm

You can also take 1 tbsp of flax seeds and puree it with 2-3 tbsp of water to make a puree that replicates beaten egg. I haven’t tried it in this recipe, but it’s worth a shot.

• Roxanne Lucky

November 29, 2011 at 1:27 pm

How can you do this without bread crumbs?

December 1, 2011 at 12:50 am

It’s pretty tough as you need the breadcrumbs to hold them together.

• Roxanne Lucky

December 5, 2011 at 10:08 am

Thank you! I will see how flax seed work!

• Angie

November 28, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I would also love a recommendation for egg replacement- we have an egg allergy in our house as well

• Melissa

November 28, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I use Ener-G Egg Replacer. We don’t have any allergies, just don’t eat eggs. It usually works just fine for recipes calling for eggs. You can get it at the health food store.

• Teresa

November 29, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I’ve used a 1/4 cup pureed tofu in place of an egg before, worked well.

December 1, 2011 at 12:50 am

I love that suggestion!

• Julie

November 30, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Great recipe! Fellow egg allergy families–did anyone try this with Ener-G? Or any other replacements? If so, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell us if it worked! I would love to make this =)

December 1, 2011 at 12:48 am

I haven’t tried it yet, but would love to hear if anyone uses Ener-G!

79. Chaitra

November 28, 2011 at 11:45 am

Wow!!!
    Looks delicious and tasty.. I am making this today for sure.

80. Kristi

November 28, 2011 at 11:12 am

I have all the ingredients on hand! Will try these tonight. Thanks so much!

81. Heather Taylor @ Kids in the Sink

November 28, 2011 at 9:56 am

These look like a good way to get my kid to eat broccoli, something her normally wont touch.

82. Joanna

November 28, 2011 at 8:40 am

Perfect! I was just looking online to see what I could cook for dinner tonight and I just happen to have all of these ingredients in the house! Thank you!

83. catherine

December 1, 2011 at 12:48 am

:) Thx!

84. Allison

November 30, 2011 at 9:48 am

SPAM! There is something called “Google”. Do your advertisement somewhere else please!