The Best Chocolate C3ookies!

Chocolate Orange Snaps

Yum

One of my most vivid holiday memories as a kid was making cookies with my mom. Every year we would pull out gallon sized bags of sugar and get down to the business of making and decorating Christmas Sugar Cookies. As far as I was concerned, there was nothing better than sorting through our collection of holiday cookie cutters to find my favorite ones, rolling out the dough together and stamping out shapes to lay on cookie sheets. Yet as delicious as sugar cookies may be, I must admit that making the same thing year after year can get a little ho hum. So this year, the kids and I have been making these holiday snaps combining two of their favorite flavors, chocolate and orange.

These cookies are insanely delicious -- I actually have to hide them from my husband or he'll eat them all -- and the dough is really durable so you can keep rolling it out over and over again to make more cookies without worrying about it getting tough.

This holiday season if you want to bake something with your kids that's a little bit different than what you usually make, try these Chocolate Orange Snaps. I think you'll agree that there's nothing Ho Ho Hum about them!

Chocolate Orange Snaps  (makes a lot depending on the size cookie cutters you use)

• 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 large egg, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon orange zest

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. 2. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, cocoa and baking powder.
  3. 3. Using a standing mixer or hand mixer in a bowl, cream the sugar and butter for 3-4 minutes until it is light and airy.
  4. 4. Add the egg and orange zest and mix for an additional minute.
  5. 5. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet until the dough comes together.
  6. 6. Remove and shape the dough into a flat disk and place between two pieces of parchment paper.
  7. 7. Roll dough out until it is 1/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes using cookie cutters.
  8. 8. Place cookies on a Silpat or parchment lined baking sheet and bake: 10 minutes if you want your cookies to be slightly soft or 12 minutes if you like them crispy.
  9. 9. Cool and serve.
Chocolate Orange Snaps

Comments

1. Pingback: Decorated Sugar Cookies - Crunchy Creamy Sweet

2. Amber Jean

December 5, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Am I able to substitute an ingredient for the brown sugar? I just realized I don’t have half a cup for this recipe! Everything else is ready to go to make them!

• Catherine McCord

December 5, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Use as much brown sugar as you have! Then add white sugar for the rest. Or, if you have molasses you can mix that into your white sugar to make brown sugar!

3. Heather D

September 30, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Can’t wait to try these this year!! LOVE the fun video!

4. Judith

March 4, 2013 at 4:23 pm

These were super fabulous and very easy to throw together! My picky toddler LOVED them. Thanks for the recipe!

5. Stephanie

November 19, 2012 at 1:16 am

Can i use applesauce as a substitute for butter?

November 19, 2012 at 12:39 pm

That won’t work for this recipe because these cookies need to have that crisp snap! The applesauce just doesn’t do that like butter does!

6. Pingback: Festive Chocolate Orange Cookies « Pretty and Delectable

7. Laura

December 21, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Absolutely delicious!!!!! Made JUST as printed and I LOVED them. Not too sweet and each bite seemed to taste better. Thanks so much!

8. Leslie

December 18, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I made these using all whole wheat flour and added a few dark chocolate chips as well as a little oj and they were DELISH!!!! I used a cookie scoop and then flattened them like a sugar cookie since I didn’t have any cookie cutters :)

9. Sarah

December 16, 2011 at 3:31 pm

So, soooo yummy! Thanks for another great recipe.

10. Michelle

December 11, 2011 at 8:40 pm

made these today- deelish!

11. Emma

December 9, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I found the dough really wet, but ok once I rolled them out in flour (I was out of greaseproof paper anyway!) The biscuits are lush – thanks! Merry Christmas!

12. Jenny

December 7, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I asked the same question for the snowballs…do these freeze well? I have a Birthday Party for my daughter and want to make some things ahead for the kids to eat and decorate at the party. :)

These sound delicious!

• Tamara

December 23, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I would guess you could cut the shapes freeze them raw then bake when ready.

13. Aman

December 7, 2011 at 10:28 pm

My three year old son and I made these today and they’re really wonderful. I’d love to give these a minty twist. What would you suggest to use for a minty flavor in place of the orange zest?

14. Pamela

December 6, 2011 at 6:29 pm

My son and I made these today for his holiday concert tomorrow (numerous 4 year olds singing carols–hope I can make it through without melting completely). Such an easy recipe and the cookies are delicious. Thank you!

15. lisatu

December 6, 2011 at 5:49 am

Do you think this dough would be okay to make a house out of it instead of gingerbread?? I want to make some houses as gifts but not all my family is fond of ginger bread but I bet all would love chocolate orange. Ive never made houses before so not sure if the dough is different. Thanks.

16. yeni

December 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Love those shapes! Are those mini cookie cutters, or regular sized cutters? Would love to get them if you can share which ones you use. This recipe looks great and very promising. (I agree about the ho hum sugar cookies!)

December 5, 2011 at 4:03 pm

They’re mini cookie cutters that I bought at Michael’s Craft Store. This recipe makes dozens and dozens of cookie if you use the mini cookie cutters.

17. Laura Degnan

December 5, 2011 at 2:44 pm

These are really delicious Catherine! My 4 yr. old said, “I’m so in love with these. I just can’t stop eating them!”

18. Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama

December 5, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Ooh I love the combo of chocolate+orange! I’m excited to give these a try. :-) I think I’ll try whole wheat pastry flour–hope it works okay.

19. Roberta Mayer

December 5, 2011 at 10:11 am

I love your recipes. I live in Brazil and received daily by email. They are healthy and delicious recipes. Congratulations!

20. Aman

December 5, 2011 at 9:26 am

Do you use sweetened or unsweetened cocoa powder?

Thanks!
    Aman

December 5, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Unsweetened cocoa powder :)

21. Karen

December 5, 2011 at 9:14 am

Hi Catherine, do you make an icing of 10x & water or do you do something else for your icing? thanks

December 5, 2011 at 12:41 pm

To make icing for them I would mix a cup of powdered sugar with one or two tbsp of milk until it’s creamy and spreadable. They’re beautiful decorated!

22. CCMom

December 5, 2011 at 6:42 am

Mmmmm sounds delish! I love making Christmas cookies. My mom & I still get together to do our favorites. I’ll be adding these to our list!