One of my most vivid holiday memories as a kid was making cookies with my mom. Every year we would pull out gallon sized bags of sugar and get down to the business of making and decorating Christmas Sugar Cookies. As far as I was concerned, there was nothing better than sorting through our collection of holiday cookie cutters to find my favorite ones, rolling out the dough together and stamping out shapes to lay on cookie sheets. Yet as delicious as sugar cookies may be, I must admit that making the same thing year after year can get a little ho hum. So this year, the kids and I have been making these holiday snaps combining two of their favorite flavors, chocolate and orange.
These cookies are insanely delicious -- I actually have to hide them from my husband or he'll eat them all -- and the dough is really durable so you can keep rolling it out over and over again to make more cookies without worrying about it getting tough.
This holiday season if you want to bake something with your kids that's a little bit different than what you usually make, try these Chocolate Orange Snaps. I think you'll agree that there's nothing Ho Ho Hum about them!
Chocolate Orange Snaps (makes a lot depending on the size cookie cutters you use)
- 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/3 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 Large Egg, room temperature
- 1 1/2 Tsp Orange Zest
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, cocoa and baking powder.
3. Using a standing mixer or hand mixer in a bowl, cream the sugar and butter for 3-4 minutes until it is light and airy.
4. Add the egg and orange zest and mix for an additional minute.
5. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet until the dough comes together.
6. Remove and shape the dough into a flat disk and place between two pieces of parchment paper.
7. Roll dough out until it is 1/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes using cookie cutters.
8. Place cookies on a Silpat or parchment lined baking sheet and bake: 10 minutes if you want your cookies to be slightly soft or 12 minutes if you like them crispy.
9. Cool and serve.