Cinnamon Apple Crisp

I have a habit of spending so much time making the dinner portion of our holiday meal that I often completely forget about dessert. And in our house, especially come this time of year, forgetting what most of my family considers the most important part of the meal is not advisable. If you're in need of a yummy dessert you can make ahead of time and pop in the oven right before you sit down to dinner, than this Cinnamon Apple Crisp is for you.

I generally buy sweet Gala, Pink Lady or Fuji apples for the kids to munch on during the week, but this crisp begs to be made with a variety of apple a bit more tart, like Granny Smiths. A spoonful of cool vanilla ice cream or some fresh whipped cream is the perfect accompaniment to the crunchy sweet oat topping of this classic dessert. And even though I doubt I'll ever break my habit of spending too much time on the dinner portion of our holiday meals, at least this easy to make crisp will always ensure I'll still have enough time to whip up something delicious for my dessert-mad family -- even when I forget!

Cinnamon Apple Crisp

• filling:
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 5 granny smith apples, peeled and cored
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • crisp:
  • 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
  2. 2. Cut apples into quarters then slice each quarter lengthwise into 4 slices. Your apple slices should be about ¼ inch thick.
  3. 3. Melt the butter and sugar in a large sauté pan and cook for 30 seconds over medium heat.
  4. 4. Add the sliced apples to the pan, sprinkle in the cinnamon, combine and cook for 10-12 minutes until the apples are soft.
  5. 5. Place the remaining crisp ingredients in a bowl and gently crumble together with your fingers until the mixture forms pea-sized lumps.
  6. 6. Pour the apples into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate and cover with the crumble topping.
  7. 7. Bake for 25 minutes.
  8. 8. Cool and serve.

Accompaniments: Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream

Cinnamon Apple Crisp

Comments

1. Leyla

August 12, 2013 at 4:06 pm

This cinnamom apple crisp is in my oven right now! :) Almost every day, I try out a new weelicious recipe, mostly for my toddler.
    Each and every recipe I’ve made so far has been perfect! Just the resource I need for the healthy meals I make for my little one (plus my husband is happy to get something from time to time too!).

2. kellie

January 4, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Would this work out to make the day before? Or even just get the apples prepped the day before? Thank you! I cant wait to make this, I have been craving it!!

January 7, 2013 at 1:22 pm

You could prepare this through step 5. Let the apples cool, keep the apples separate from the crumble topping in the fridge. When ready, assemble and bake!

3. mrsdhurd

October 3, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Made this tonight it was delicious. A little too sweet for my liking but my hubby loved it. I was wondering if I, can freeze the leftovers?

October 4, 2012 at 11:27 am

I haven’t tried that, but I think it would freeze okay. Defrost in the fridge then reheat in the oven to get it back to being crisp!

4. Pingback: Scotsman Ice Machines South Africa

5. Ralph

January 8, 2012 at 5:31 am

It looks soooo good like all of your other foods

6. Ralph

January 8, 2012 at 5:29 am

Is this recipe full of fat and calories?

7. Tove

January 3, 2012 at 8:49 am

This does sound really good but how low-fat is this recipe?

8. Tamara

December 22, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Wonderful, I might throw in some chopped cranberries as well!

9. Catriona

December 21, 2011 at 7:35 am

Was looking for an apple crisp recipe to do with Christmas dinner and I think this is the winner. Thanks!

10. Angelle

December 20, 2011 at 12:53 pm

My son is allergic to oats. I found barley flakes that look just like rolled oats in the bulk foods section. Supposedly they’re a good substitution for oats but I haven’t tried yet…

11. Anne

December 20, 2011 at 11:54 am

Looks yummy! Is there something else we can use other than oats?

December 20, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Barley flakes and quinoa flakes can both be substituted for rolled oats. The texture varies, but in this application for a crisp you shouldn’t notice too much difference. Quinoa is a great gluten-free food, too!

12. Allison Reed

December 20, 2011 at 11:05 am

This sounds great! May I ask what you are planning on serving for your holiday meal? Thanks for all your great recipes!

13. Monette

December 20, 2011 at 11:03 am

I have granny smith in the ref and been wanting to do apple crisp so I am going to try your recipe. Thanks for posting!