Healthier Ramen Noodles Kids Love

How to Make Healthy Ramen Noodle Soup for Kids

From kids to college students to adults, I don't know many people who don't love Ramen Noodle Soup. Yummy noodles in a delicious broth, what's not to love?! Well, maybe the MSG for one. This recipe loses the little packets, powder and all that MSG and replaces it with ingredients you likely already have in your pantry!

Comments

1. daisy

December 17, 2013 at 6:40 pm

if you cant respond back before Thursday, how much of the ingredients would i need to supple 30 students in my class? It’s due Friday.

• Catherine McCord

December 18, 2013 at 11:58 am

Here is the written recipe: http://weelicious.com/2012/01/30/healthy-ramen-noodle-soup/ It serves 4 as a main course. If the kids are pretty young then 1 recipe could probably serve 6-8, depending on how much you plan to give them. So if you’re giving out small portions then I would triple the recipe! If you want this to feed them for lunch or something then I would probably increase the recipe 5 times! :)

2. JB

November 11, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Loved this! I added a lot of yummy stuff to mine, I used the mushrooms, softened carrot chunks, peas & corn. I did forget the to get mirin at the store, but I also went for low sodium soy sauce, so it wasn’t too salty for us, but next time I make it I’ll have to remember to get the mirin. My 1yo actually ate most of the noodles & veggies, including the mushrooms! I just drained the broth from his since he hasn’t mastered the spoon just yet, but the fact that he ate most of it was amazing! I had 2 bowls and never felt weighted down, so a very happy mama here. Thank you so much for coming up with this.

3. catherine

May 21, 2012 at 11:17 am

Awesome!

4. Ally

May 19, 2012 at 4:38 pm

WOW, this is amazing!
    Im a University bound student, and since my parents have been gone for a week, i thought i might as well get myself used to the noodle diet
    instead i found out how to make my own ramen noodles, and also your soup as well!
    i added a few veggies in, and used actual garlic and onion instead of the powder. Add some green onions, leeks, pepper and ginger in, and it tastes amazing!
    thank you! im guessing ill be living off my own ramen in university thanks to you!

5. Pingback: probiotic brands

6. Tennille

February 16, 2012 at 8:03 pm

My boys love Ramen (they get it at grandma’s house), but I never make it for them at home because of the “chemicals” in them. I’m so excited to try this recipe. However, I have to say that miso and mirin are not things I normally have in my pantry. Maybe they will be now : )

7. michelle

February 9, 2012 at 11:37 pm

A friend of mine just sent me this link which shows what happens inside your intestinal tract when you eat packaged ramen noodles. Just a teaser in my opinion. I wish they had more info. Enjoy.

8. JMC

January 31, 2012 at 4:48 pm

We prefer to use fresh egg noodles or rice noodles instead of dry instant noodles for our noodle soup. These are generally cheaper and you get way more noodles for a family of 4.

If we do use dry instant noodles though, we like to boil and drain the noodles before adding soup to the noodles. That way, the a lot of the excess wax gets washed away and the noodles don’t get over-cooked in the broth.

9. LaToyia

January 31, 2012 at 4:02 pm

yummy, this is a recipe after my heart.
    and my kid will eat anything so thank you,
    I am so excited to try this since I also grew up on these nasty seasoning packets.

• Bayonle

February 4, 2014 at 8:34 pm

It takes a hecka-long time, but my go-to under the weather food is King Ranch Chicken. I smeimr a whole fryer chicken to makes it, and stick it in a huge casserole pan. It usually makes about 8 pounds haha, but it’s delicious and fattening and I can eat on it for about a week :P

10. Nisha

January 30, 2012 at 10:52 am

Made this for dinner last night – our daughter was shoveling spoon after spoon into her mouth (and she is a picky eater!). In fact, she asked for both a fork and a spoon to test out which would assist in maneuvering the noodles into her mouth quicker ;-)

Husband also liked it and had extra helpings!

I added peas and corn to the recipe, and some grilled chicken.

• Nisha

January 30, 2012 at 10:53 am

Oops and forgot to mention: i also made it egg-drop soup style, and added 4 eggs to the recipe as well! YUMMY!

11. michelle

January 28, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Just wanted to mention that mirin can have some pretty scary ingredients in it too (corn syrup, preservatives) so go to an asian market that has many brands to compare and read the labels. I don’t use the stuff anymore(blasphemy, growing up in a japanese household!), and instead combine sweet rice vinegar (trader joe’s!) with a little sweetener of choice. The ratio is crucial and I haven’t mastered it but I go by taste depending on what I’m making.

January 30, 2012 at 12:39 am

You could also add a touch of agave or honey to this recipe to give it a touch of sweetness if you don’t have or want to use mirin.

12. Esther

January 28, 2012 at 10:48 am

Sounds like a great replacement! Unfortunately, the Korean household doesn’t do Top Ramen… we go for the extra spicy Korean variety (aka Shin Ramen)… =( may be I’ll play around with your recipe and add some red pepper powder. =D Thanks for the idea!

Either way, I usually hide what Ramen we do have in the house because the hubs is constantly looking for it (a nice way to make him forget about it hehe) – so we have it on rare occasions.. may be once every several months?

13. Vicki

January 27, 2012 at 8:47 pm

This looks so yummy and easy. Can’t wait for the recipe!

14. CarinaRdz

January 27, 2012 at 8:29 pm

You can also whisk a raw egg into the pot, after the noodles before the veggies, and it creates something similar to a Japanese egg drop soup. It scrambles in the water really quickly. Pretty yummy and adds that little bit of protein that is usually lacking in any ramon creation.

January 28, 2012 at 1:38 am

Oh I love that idea. Similar to egg drop soup, yum!

15. Gina Lindsay

January 27, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I know what I am having for dinner!

16. Alison

January 27, 2012 at 6:28 pm

To make it even a little bit healthier, if you can get your hands on ramen noodles that are not fried, definitely try that! The Asian supermarkets here in Las Vegas have several different varieties :) I’m definitely going to try your version of the soup though!

17. Sara

January 27, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I would love to make this soup, but we don’t use any kind of alcohol in anything. Can I just omit it or substitute with something else?

January 27, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Mirin is a sweet rice wine that adds sweetness and depth of flavor. You could try sweet rice vinegar instead or something like apple juice if you’re looking for something with no acidity. You could also leave it out and see how you like it that way!

18. Krissy

January 27, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Heh, Ramen is so yum. I love eliminating the naughty package…never cared for it anyways. I usually just mix ramen noodles (Boiled in water drained) with stirfry, but the soup sounds delicious! Growing up my mom always added veggies…handfulls of frozen peas, or a handful of asian veggies, and whatever meat she had in the fridge.

19. Tracy

January 27, 2012 at 12:24 pm

My kids are going to be so happy with this one!

20. Kirstin

January 27, 2012 at 10:45 am

Mmmmm soup! Looking forward to trying out the recipe and introducing my little ones to ramen noodles. Thanks Catherine!

21. Jennifer

January 27, 2012 at 10:24 am

I have to admit I gasped when I saw ramen on here. :) But losing the seasoning/oil packets, I might just give this a try.

January 27, 2012 at 11:31 am

Please try it! my kids went crazy for it!!

22. Jolene (Homespun Heritage)

January 27, 2012 at 8:41 am

I have one child with a severe sesame and soy allergy (among her other allergies) so I will have to play with this recipe to accommodate her needs. I wonder how the Chinese 5 Spice powder would work? I’ll have to play around…its difficult when you can’t have soy and its in EVERYTHING! We’re going to China for 3 weeks and our little one is not going; she wouldn’t be able to eat a thing!

January 27, 2012 at 11:31 am

Have you tried using Braggs Amino Acids? You can find it at health food stores and most groceries. It tastes just like soy sauce, but no soy. It’s amazing. I sprinkle it on my kids veggies all the time. I also thing Chinese 5 spice would be really interesting!

• sandy

January 29, 2012 at 1:10 am

Braggs is made of soy! Perhaps you’re thinking of wheat, which Braggs does NOT have. As a mom of an allergic kid (wheat, eggs, dairy, nuts), I’m just on high-alert when it comes to allergies, and I’m just looking out for the rest of the allergic kids.

By the way, I’ve been a long-time fan of Weelicious — I love the meal inspirations. Thanks Catherine!

January 30, 2012 at 12:38 am

I really appreciate your high alert! Thank you :)

23. Schira

January 27, 2012 at 8:35 am

Yippee! My son loves Ramen noodles (and sometimes it’s all he’ll eat…we’re having a bit of a challenge getting my 21 month old to eat much of anything these days!). Looking forward to the recipes. And I just LOVE your website and the daily recipes. They’ve been very helpful…THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

24. Chelsea

January 27, 2012 at 7:53 am

I love this! I’ve looked all over for a good recipe like this and haven’t been able to find one. I’m very excited for this recipe!! Thanks